Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• mjcjones
    mjcjones Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This has always been my best method of losing weight. Walking on the treadmill or on the track allows me to lose weight more than any other exercise (elliptical, stepper, etc). Coupled with weight training, it really does the trick. I'm hoping to work up to jogging/running a 5K. :)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs in 2010 just by wallking by butt off! I was getting married, so in January 2010 I began walking 2-3 miles a day, as fast as I possibly could and by the time my wedding came on September 11, 2010, I had lost the 35 lbs I wanted to lose! It CAN and does work for a lot of people, but I think that weight lifting is what is truly making a difference for me now!
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63 pounds so far and over half of that was primarily walking...I do some other cardio now in addition to walking but yes, walking truly does help with weight loss! I just kept increasing my distance every week a bit...it's still my go-to exercise.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Try doing this, it's more than just a bunch of steps. Do it as many times in a row as you can. I edited it cause this section is the hardest section on the whole DVD. I am now up to doing it 7 times in a row, takes me 90 mins & I use hand & leg weights that are 3kg each. I'm working my way up each week till I hit 10 times in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fhGXc6W-FI
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I totally have.
    When i was a child i like never walked, my school was around the corner... Yeah.
    And then i got a dog and my dad also decided we should take walks.
    And with the dog i took LONG walks xD(+ i got lost sometimes..). And i lost weight by doing that.
  • kirstie1926
    kirstie1926 Posts: 48
    Options
    i used to power walk with those ugly mbt shoes and half pound hand weights for 1 hour plus (5-6 times a day).
    just from that i dropped 20 pounds, toned and dropped 3 dress sizes in 4 months.

btw i was doing about 3 miles with a 3-3.5 mph pace.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ME HERE! I mean on top of cutting back calories of course but I walk 3-5 days a week about 2.5 miles each time. Its a slow progress but its progress :) Its also a great way to get my 5 mo old to calm down and get to sleep! Good luck & friend me if you want another walker!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I lost all the weight I wanted to lose (and then some) pretty much exclusively walking!

I walk at a very brisk pace (about 4-4.5 mph) and incorporate a ton of hills! As I got more fit, I added distance and started carrying a backpack to add weight.

I average about 7 miles of walking a day. It keeps me in great shape!
  • jbrowningx2
    Options
    A few years back I went from 270 to 154 at my lightest. The only exercise I did was walking. Keep up the good work. I did eat less, but once I stopped walking, I gained back. If you want to eat, go for a walk.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have been told by my Drs that walking is one of the best exercises you can do. Especially speed walking. Walking is my main form of exercise. I have a treadmill and try to use it 6 days a week for at least 40mins. There are apps for iPod/iPhone (probably other devices too).
    I know you need to make sure to challenge yourself. If you aren't sweating, then you aren't doing enough, so I have been told.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I just love this thread! :heart: :drinker: :heart: and also LOVE walking too, it's soooooo relaxing, empowering, humble and FUN.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise and so far I'm doing ok. I've lost 16% of my body weight.
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and that was my main source of exercise, also do a few aerobic videos . My main goal was to burn 200 calories, so at 1st it took me longer , now I bumped up my speed and burn the 200 calories in less time .. I walk at 4.0 at a small incline. When I first started treadmill, I was only able to walk at 3, or 3.2 and I did it for about 40 min. Now I do 4.0 for 20 min then 10 min at 3.0..I just put on pandora and its "my" time, locked in my little sun room ...good luck
  • simply_cherille
    Options
    Bump
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my weight by mostly walking with a little bit of stationary bike. I eat a whole foods diet as well.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I have been walking alot for a coulple of weeks and I was wondering if anyone has had alot of weight loss with walking -and how long did it take?

45lbs and counting.
  • garymccall
    garymccall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump,

because it's such a good topic.
  • Thieka
    Thieka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight via walking. I started at 189lbs and weigh 110bs. Coupled with my FitBit and logging all my foods.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've lost the majority of my weight (80 lbs) by walking briskly and using Leslie Sansone's videos. I'm maintaining and it's still my main form of exercise. I've had to bump it up as I got more fit (speed walking intervals, walking on hills, using lightweights etc.) but I still find it very effective. This month I challenged myself to clock in 110 miles and I'm almost there!

I really like what walking has done for my health, how it has sculpted my body and how it makes it easy on my joints being a low impact workout.
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Walker 4 Life! :love:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!