Has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options

Replies

• LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Walking is GREAT! That is a great way to lose weight. That's what I've done most often as my form of cardio during my weight loss. I also do a lot of the elliptical and have recently added running but walking is still my go to. Less stress on the body. Add some hills and try to go quicker as you build up your stamina but yeah, walking is GREAT!
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is what I am doing the most, and then stationary cycling. Walking is wonderful. It clears my mind while stretching my limbs.
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is my primary exercise. I usually walk 30-40 minutes 5 or 6 times a week. Since it's gotten nice outside I have also done 3 longer walks. Down 27 lbs. so far . . . but also watching what I eat.
  • horrorghoul
    horrorghoul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh her DVDs are great! When I didn't feel confident enough to walk outside I used them and I lost some weight. I would just turn down the DVD cuz I hated her voice and after awhile you know EVERY word she says. lol.
  • horrorghoul
    horrorghoul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been walking and losing weight like crazy. I have walked 10 miles this week. I love walking because its the only time I get to myself and lets me think. Plus I get to be outside enjoying the air and nature. I've lost about 3 lbs a week.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yes I walk 4 times a week for about 25 minutes. I started on here Feb and lost 21 pounds by only walking and watching my calorie intake.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Yes that's how I start off, and I dropped about 15:)
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes! I walk about 12-18 miles a week..losing about 2-3 lbs weekly as well..but of course you must eat right and do some strength training! Good luck!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Walking has been my primary exercise the last few years. I walk 40-60 minutes 4x during the work week and once or twice for a good hour or more on the weekends. I have had a big increase in what I can do how fast and how far. I'd say it is best place to start - It depends on where you are at and what you can do. I've had chronic hip/back issues so I have limitations for other types of exercise.
  • need2looseweightnow
    Options
    ohhhh yah, i been on this diet for 41 days n started walking 20 minutes a day n then went up slowly now i'm walking an hr almost everyday, i might miss 1 time a week. i love it i feel more energetic. when i'm mad it calms me down n it also helps 2 keep the whole diet in my mind .. if i want 2 eat something i shouldn't i think about the amount of time i would have 2 walk 2 burn the calories off. n i'm a person with long legs so when i was thinner my legs where my best feature so i'm thrilled how the walking has toned my legs up ... i say walking is the bomb ... it helps with weight loss mood n all the above...
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • ladyS31
    ladyS31 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes...I set treadmill on walking session and it inclines on it's own. I walk for about 50 mins while including a few mins of running on it but mainly walk.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tend to walk 3-4 times a week at 4-4.5mph and it has done wonders when coupled with watching my caloric intake.
  • kbarnick
    kbarnick Posts: 36
    Options
    A few years ago my main exercise was walking- and I (slowly) lost weight. I think I lost 5-10 lbs over a few months, but gained it back quickly after I stopped. I was taking 1-2 hour walks around 4 days a week.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Nobody will lose weight by walking unless they also restrict their calorie intake to below their daily calorie expenditure.

Exercise has far greater benefits than mere weight loss though.

Plus when you're walking you're (hopefully!) not stuffing your face with snacks! :bigsmile:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    most definitely! I walk at least an hour a day 3 times a week, it's greatly contributed to how fit I am, and how toned. Of course this has to be accompanied by a healthy diet for maximum results. I find no better exercise than walking
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I AM WALKING PROOF!!!!!!!!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Besides the calorie counting all I do is walk and I've lost 44lbs.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I first started losing weight by walking. I weighed 312 pounds and there was just no way that I was going to run carrying that much extra weight. I walked 5-6 days a week for 30mins a day as fast as I could walk each time. When that became routine for me and almost easy, I upped the time to 60mins a day. I don't quite remember exactly, but it took me 2-3 months to get to walking 60 mins a day. I lost my first 40 pounds this way. After I had lost enough weight, I then started running again. Over a year and a half later, I just finished a 10 mile race at 7:30 pace and I now weigh 235 pounds. Long story short, you will lose weight walking if you do the following - 1. Have a consistant routine - unless you are hurt, get your workout in 2. Don't just stroll, push yourself 3. Diet alone does not work, excercise alone does not work, you have to have both to really see results. 4. Drink a lot of water...and then drink some more. Hope this was helpful, good luck to you!

What he said...

Read my blog it might help you see a light at the en of the tunnel too... Good luck x
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I credit my miles and hours of walking to my weight loss. I also recorded daily calorie intake. Gettng off my butt was the big factor. After walking I would not want to waste my exercise hours by stupid food choices.

How long did it take. I started this program over a year ago and continue to walk every day to maintain. This is a lifetime walk for me.

Best to you and just try to keep it up....at first I dreaded it but now I wake up go for it with enthusiasm.

Shirley (searching for sunhine in Oregon)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!