74 days bro good luck
  • LazyRunner_2212
    LazyRunner_2212 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 18 KGs - 40 lbs by walking!! keep walking :drinker:
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Before arthritis stopped me, I was using Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home dvd series, and I'd also walk around the neighborhood. I lost 33 pounds in about 5 months. I'm receiving treatment from a pain clinic, and plan to start using my dvds again. You can get them at WalMart...check it out. I have the 3 and 5 mile dvds, and they come with exercise bands. My son even enjoyed exercising with me, and he's a little couch potato.
  • leonoramead814
    leonoramead814 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has lost 2 stone in 3 months simply by walking everywhere, watching his pedometer and making sure that every single day he hits his 10,000 steps with no exception.

He has also cut out obviously sugar loaded or fatty foods like takeaway and sweets, but other than that his diet had stayed the same.

Seeing him recently the change is amazing!

Good luck!
  • lisa_darlene9
    lisa_darlene9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We just recently moved to South America, and we have yet to receive our vehicle so my husband and I are walking everywhere we need to go. Although he does not need to lose weight , I definitely do. We live on large hill so half of all my walks are uphill, that is challenging as well as a hidden bonus even though it doesn't feel like it at the time. There is a beautiful mountain about 1 km from our place, I want to be able to hike the trails there soon, so I am hoping with some daily walks I will lose some weight and gain of cardio so that I can start on that mountain. Every step is a step to a fitter version of me :)
  • dennis_n
    dennis_n Posts: 29
    Options
    I know for a fact that I started gaining weight right after high school and one main reason was that back then I used to walk at least an hour a day going to school and back. Not to mention I also rode a bicycle. It's sad we have so many good habits as kids that we throw away when we get older.
  • gschnitzler
    gschnitzler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Walking has been my most consistent form of exercise...lost 50 pounds in 10 months, have kept it off for over a year (actually logged my 730th day on MFP today....two straight years!). I committed to walking 30 minutes, 4 times/week. Some days I had trouble getting to 30 minutes, but I wouldn't let myself stop before 20 minutes. I figured if I couldn't find at least 20 minutes in my day, then there were far bigger issues! Some weeks, I would get less than 30 minutes each time, but would walk more days during the week. I mixed in some Zumba as well....but walking has been the constant in my life. YES it can be done!!
  • llpttp38
    llpttp38 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It does help, I walk daily and have lost, the key is changing your intervals if you are on a treadmill
  • walterskh
    walterskh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    100 pounds is great. What an inspiration. Can anyone tell a difference between walking first thing in the morning vs. late afternoon/early evening?
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Walking plus eating less has worked for me in the past.
  • cdl42
    cdl42 Posts: 41
    Options
    I lost about 40-45 pounds in a year or a little less.That was before I even started mfp. I just walked and ate healthier and used portion control. Stick with it, because it's easy and it works.:drinker:
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Walking has helped me lose weight too. It also helps if you have an energetic pup that likes to walk. She is like a fast treadmill and I get my workout morning and night along with several times on the weekends. I don't have to worry about going to the gym because she is waking me up with leash in mouth saying get up and walk woman. Great exercise. You can do it!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    First 80 lbs down by walking and eating well
    Next 20+ lbs down by by elliptical, strength training, eating well ... and still walking!
  • tempamatic
    tempamatic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been walking long distances (10.7 miles is my longest, average 50 miles/week), and there is a point where I actually gain weight from walking. But it's good weight -- I measure my body fat percentage and lean mass percentage (Withings Wi-Fi scale) and those numbers are improving consistently. I try to keep my protein intake at 30% (which is surprisingly hard to do) with Quest bars, Gatorade shakes, etc., which are all delicious and filling, and they support muscle building and repair.

In the long run, I've noticed once my body gets conditioned to a longer distance, the muscle building levels off and then even more body fat comes off. So yes, ultimately it's impossible to walk consistently and not lose weight ... UNLESS you stop counting calories and start eating too much. Best of all, walking lets me eat more while losing body fat. And, I can see the results in the mirror and feel the additional core strength, thanks to all that exercise.

Finally, walking cheers me up -- there's something wonderful about walking through parks, saying hello to the neighbors and seeing birds and animals going about their business. It's a good time to think and get away from all the screens for a while. Great time for sorting things out and coming up with ideas, plans, priorities.

I love walking.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Walking is great! However, it doesn't burn as many calories as other forms of exercise, so be sure to eat at a calorie deficit as well.

(Not that you weren't, I'm just saying that I've heard from people who only walked and didn't cut back on calories, maybe even ate back more than was burned, and they wondered why they weren't losing weight. Both diet & exercise together is best.)
  • pgs1954
    pgs1954 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, but with very reduced diet.
  • ummhmmlies
    Options
    17 miles this week and saw results
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!