Does anyone else NOT want kids?

Options

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I don't want to have kids. My boyfriend wants kids. I told him the baby deadline is when I turn 36.

The only way I will have children is if we could afford:
    -Live-in nanny
    -Cleaning lady
    -Surrogate mother

When I think of children, I automatically think of the terrible twos and teenagers. I shudder at both.
    A ten year old girl is a bigger pain than a 2 year old.
    A 14 year old girl makes Ghenghis Khan look like a milk-fed babe in chiffon panties. It is what it is, and we get through it.

If you don't want kids, don't have them. Anybody gives you a hard time about it, tell 'em to take a flying &%^ at a rolling donut. There is no 'duty' to reproduce yourself, none. Human beings are not an endangered species, and the world is nicely populated and "Subdued", as someone once commanded.

BTW - about how many people there are and how much room we take up. There are about 7 Billion of us. In a standing room only crowd, each person needs about 2 square feet. So 14 billion square feet, which is about 502 square miles. That ain't Texas,,, it's not even a good sized county. But just 'cause we could all attend one honkin' big *kitten* rock concert, that don't mean the world needs more of us.

We have 2 ours and 2 foundlings and a couple of kid-in-laws (with some overlap in there,,, it's all good). They're all ours and we love them all, but we respect anybody's right to choose to procreate, or not to.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I really thought I was alone in feeling this way. I'm glad to see there are more SANE people out there!

It seems like all the girls I graduated HS with have kids now! I'm only 22! They are all nuts! I'm sorry, but I want to do something with my life and be more than just a "mom". But they might think it's so important and impressive, but at this age it's just trashy!

I never want kids.

No need to call those that want or have kids nuts or trashy. They are entitled to become a mother just as you are entitled not to become one. if you don't want kids, I would never try and talk you into it.
    And btw many women do "something " with their lives as well as being a mom.

Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention. I was generalizing and I shouldn't have said it like that. But the girls I know with kids ARE trashy and ONLY want to be moms, and nothing else. It's sad, but it's so glamorized today.

I am a mom and I refuse to only be a mom. My kids will grow up and pursue their own lives one day. What will i do then if I am ONLY a mom. NO WAY!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    People who don't want kids definitely shouldn't have them. The last thing we need are parents who are resentful of the children in their care.

^^This.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Its nice to see people so accepting of not wanting children.

I got married at 30 which was really late compared to everyone else in my family. My husband and I had decided that we didnt want kids.

I think if I had been 23 and less set in my ways, I probably would have had a child or two. But now, I love the life I live just the way it is.

I do enjoy other people's kids (until they start screaming, then I give them back) and love to spend a finite amount of time with them.

I get a lot of crap from family members about it and about how I'm getting past the childbearing age (I'm 35) and I better hurry up and "change my mind". Thats a pretty big thing to change your mind on, imo.

I'm sure if I had a birth control accident and became pregnant, that I would be like everyone else and love my child even though they just turned my life upside down.

But other than that, I'm happily kid-free. You aren't alone.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I really thought I was alone in feeling this way. I'm glad to see there are more SANE people out there!

It seems like all the girls I graduated HS with have kids now! I'm only 22! They are all nuts! I'm sorry, but I want to do something with my life and be more than just a "mom". But they might think it's so important and impressive, but at this age it's just trashy!

I never want kids.

No need to call those that want or have kids nuts or trashy. They are entitled to become a mother just as you are entitled not to become one. if you don't want kids, I would never try and talk you into it.

Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention. I was generalizing and I shouldn't have said it like that. But the girls I know with kids ARE trashy and ONLY want to be moms, and nothing else. It's sad, but it's so glamorized today.
    No offense really taken as I'm too old to be the target of your opinion. I realize that you are "youngish" and I know this is just a forum but (imo) you should think about what you say and how it may appear or sound to others.:smile:
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I never want kids.

No offense really taken as I'm too old to be the target of your opinion. I realize that you are "youngish" and I know this is just a forum but (imo) you should think about what you say and how it may appear or sound to others.:smile:

Haha I got a little carried away. This is a hot subject with me. I get a lot of pressure from people and I just think I'm too young to have kids. I haven't lived yet! I want to get a good degree and have a good job! And a big house and lots of money! And pets! Kids are not in my future plans :)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think it is a legitimate choice not to have children. And no one should bug someone about so personal a decision.

I am in my 50's, and decided to have children. The older I get, the more I think it was a good decision for me. But, actually raising children is expensive and can be frustrating and even heartbreaking at times. I've seen studies that say parents worry more, since you tend to worry not only for yourself, but for your children, too.

My only concern for those who choose to not have children is possible isolation in old age. While having children is no guarantee they will stick around as adults and be helpful when you grow old, there's at least a chance they may. Apropos of that topic, here's an interesting article: http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/aging-without-children/
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had believed my whole life that I never wanted to have kids, and then suddenly, in my mid 30s, I wanted them. I now have two. I know several other people who felt the same way, but then a major life event or the biological clock ticking made them change their minds.

If you truly don't want them, then by all means don't have them. That decision belongs to no one other than you and your significant other. However, speaking from experience here, you're only in your 20s, and your opinion of kids may change.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    When people bug us about when we're going to start a family...
    This phrase is a huge pet peeve of mine. People will say "do you have a family?" and mean do I have a husband and children. I'm single with no kids and while I "never say never", the idea of never having children does not make me at all sad. And it does not mean I don't have a family, for pete's sake. :grumble:

Many married people and people with children like to treat those of us who have led different lives and/or made different choices as if we're only partial humans because we haven't experienced the supposed joy of child-rearing. If you want kids, have kids. Have twenty of them, for all I care. If you don't want them, don't have them.

Food for thought: Most people who have actually made the decision not to have children have given the whole idea a lot more thought than many, many parents out there.
  • coachtruder
    coachtruder Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't want kids either. We are so sick of people saying 'It is different when they are your own'. Yes, we believe this, but it doesn't change our minds. We have the mindset that if God wanted us to have kids then I will get pregnant on birth control. If I have a child I know I will love it...I just don't want to bring a child into this cruel world where everyone gets bullied now. I was bullied growing up and it is not fun. I also have a lot of health problems that I do not want my child do deal with and my husband also has a few health problems to. We just had this chat again this weekend with people asking us (we got married in September and have been together 6 years now). We are going to start volunteering out time with Big Brothers/Big Sisters or some other group. We are good people and want to do good things...we just don't want a child of our own. We have 2 nieces and a nephew (who was born a week ago today) and we love them to pieces...we get to give them back to their parents and don't have to deal with the naughty side of kids. :)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Kids are overrated!

Good thing your parents didn't think that!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and have never wanted children!

Don't get me wrong I like children, I just don't want any of my own
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't want any more that's for damn sure! :laugh: There's a new commercial that I love, it basically questions why folks say "settle down & start a family, we all know a family is not settled" as they show kids running out of the minivan & exhausted parents. As the mother of 4 ranging from 5 to 16 I can relate 100% to that commercail! This life is NOT settled. It's hectic & crazy. I love my babies, they are funny & crazy & sweet but life with them is not settled.

Oh & I always discourage all of my friends from having a big family. Let the flaming begin :bigsmile:
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I was younger. Boy was I wrong. I wouldn't trade my son Dylan for anything. He has brought me more joy than anything this world has to offer.
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    I will NEVER have children and I just laugh it off when people
    say I will and act like it's a funny joke. No one can be offended
    then and it gets the point across without having to be *****y.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I was younger. Boy was I wrong. I wouldn't trade my son Dylan for anything. He has brought me more joy than anything this world has to offer.

I feel the same way about my rottweiler :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My kids and my wife are probably the best things in my life. Kids aren't for everyone but I couldn't imagine my life without them.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about my rottweiler :)
    Dogs are cool!
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    I'm not ever married or anything but for me, I don't really care for kids or I'd like to delay having kids.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    only when i would like 5 minutes alone
    :embarassed: