Ladies: Do you accept friend requests from guys on MFP?

Options

Replies

• TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I don't for two reasons.

1. I am married and have five sons (plus one daughter) I am around males all of the time and I really want a Girls Only Zone where I can be goofy and perverted, but not seem like I am being sexual or trying to hook up with anyone.

2. My husband does prefer me not to have male friends. He says that he knows how men think and they will try to flirt and hit on me. Now, I had already decided to keep this my girl zone anyway, but I am also doing it because he is my sweetie and if it makes him more comfortable...then that is good!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I stalk the men of MFP. LOL

You don't stalk me....could it be because I am always just over your shoulder???
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    They send me the friend requests :laugh:
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I accept them.

I'm a married woman with a 10 year old step-daughter. I don't flirt, I don't give out my number, we don't have any convos on here that I feel like I need to "hide" or what-not. All my male friends know I am married and support me 110%.

The reason I do accept them: Yes, our bodies may be different, but most of the men on this site give really good advice about health and fitness. MOST (especially my male friends) know what they are talking about, and I feel like they give me the motivation and encouragement I need. If it weren't for them encouraging me I would have never started lifting weights...

I give kudos to all my male MFP friends, they ROCK! :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I prefer the men on my friend's list. They don't whine about every little thing and bash each other's body types. But there are some pretty hilarious and awesome women on here, too. I've gotten advice, support, motivation, and laughs from men AND women on this site.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I request guys too. If they are going to support and encourage me then I will add/accept them.
    Plus, I love eye candy on my list, duh
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Usually not because they tend to comment on everything i post and tell me to eat more, have more protein, or do more strength training. idk it's just different.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Nope. I can never find a guy friend who JUST wants to be a friend. They always end up hitting on me, and I hate it.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't appear to be a creeper, yes. Especially those with kids.... We can still relate despite my lack of male parts!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I don't for two reasons.

1. I am married and have five sons (plus one daughter) I am around males all of the time and I really want a Girls Only Zone where I can be goofy and perverted, but not seem like I am being sexual or trying to hook up with anyone.

2. My husband does prefer me not to have male friends. He says that he knows how men think and they will try to flirt and hit on me. Now, I had already decided to keep this my girl zone anyway, but I am also doing it because he is my sweetie and if it makes him more comfortable...then that is good!

Your husband sounds like he has trust issues
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I accept anyone, guys can give off great support and cheer us on as well. I also enjoy the eye candy, not gonna lie. I'm married but there is no law that I can't look ;) my husband knows he is mine forever and that's all good.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think knowledge and encouragement is what is important... who cares where or who it comes from really???
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT! It's like asking to be assaulted.

In an alley? I though you liked that kind of thing ;)

:blushing: You Hush, Gingy!!
  • Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't accept men requests - sorry guys :) ... but I'm married, have four kids, live a busy life - for me this site as about my "girl time". There are times when I want to share or talk about things that aren't appropriate for mixed company and I don't want to have to worry about what I choose to say. I'm sure there are many nice guys on here :) but I'm just not interested in "friending" them.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It never occurred to me not to. I wonder if there are any men who reject all female requests...
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Yup, sure do. I accept anyone if they send the FR with some sort of greeting and explanation as to why they're adding me. I have a hard time saying no to people who want to be friends. I declined one person who sent a blank, and I felt bad. Usually I PM the blanks and ask them why they want to add me. So whoever you are, I'm sorry! :frown: :flowerforyou:
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet. The only requests I have gotten from guys have included some sort of creepy message.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's pretty discriminatory and sexist to deny a friend request based on someone's gender.

It also makes me angry when women won't accept a man's friend request because they're already involved with a guy. Unless your partner is abusive and won't let you talk to men, it's like assuming all men who FR you are falling all over you and want to creep on you. It's insulting and conceited.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Why not? The journey has nothing to do with how our bodies are different, it is about cheering and supporting one another. You can do that and not have the same goals. It is just a matter of personal preference.

ETA: I love my guy friend on MFP - they dont post about thigh gaps, and which body type do you prefer :laugh:
  • HisMissus
    HisMissus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I accept friends of either gender, though i do prefer my friends to have a lot of weight to lose as I do (100lbs+) or have lost a loof weight as I believe they'll understand my trials and tribulations more than someone who maybe only has a few pounds to lose. In fact, some of my most supportive MFPs are men...