~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm not sure that I can eat clean this weekend...I'll try but....food/family/fun.... this sounds pretty hard to do over a holiday get together.

I told them that I would bring a snack....besides a fruit salad or Veggie tray, what type of snack can I bring? I was thinking of something with popcorn but, maybe you all have better ideas.

Also, what do you eat when you want to have a snack? Such as a delicious scoop of Ice Cream or a cookie?

some good snacks would be warm nuts and fruits; hummus and toasted pitas; Baba ghanoush or other vegetable spreads with pitas or toasted flatbread. If you want to bring fruit what about doing a fondue? You can make it with dark chocolate and if you want to be a little different, add cinnamon, chili powder or espresso powder to it! YUM!

Mary
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    What are eggbeaters? I always thought that they were full of chemicals, but if you guys are eating them, I guess not.

I did well yesterday...

breakfast
    1 large cup of coffee, organic half and half and sugar in the raw
    5 oz low sodium V8 over ice
    1 slice Nature's Promise Whole Wheat toast with 1 tbs Nature's Promise peanut butter

lunch
    spinach, fresh from my garden tomatoes, shredded carrots and 1/4 avocado on a La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla with a Laughing Cow Light garlic & herb spread on it.

dinner
    1 slice pesto and fresh mozzarella whole wheat pizza with lots of grilled veggies on the side. I grilled enough veggies that I will be having them in a wrap today for lunch!

snacks
    strawberries
    watermelon
    1 Immaculate Baking Co chocolate chip cookie

Happy Friday!

Mary
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good job fitat41, your eats looks good!
  • kristen5286
    kristen5286 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Could y'all tell me a few web sites y'all like to go to where I can get information on eating clean and the different foods that are good/bad for you? I went to Bing (my new fave over Google) and I got a bunch of site, but I just don't know which is the best and will give me the most information that is helpful. So, I figured I'd ask the pros!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Workout: Insanity Cardio Conditioning + Insane Abs

Breakfast:
    Usual oatmeal
    Medium banana

Lunch:
    Spring mix + spinach + shredded carrots + 3oz turkey breast + artichoke garlic salsa
    Small sweet potato + 1/4 c. cottage cheese + 1/2 oz walnuts + cinnamon

Snack:
    1 c. plain yogurt + 3/4 c. triple berries + 1 T. NM PB
    Small apple, small kiwi
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    What are eggbeaters? I always thought that they were full of chemicals, but if you guys are eating them, I guess not.

I did well yesterday...

Mary

I don't eat egg beaters all of the time, but if I eat out a restaurant (like I did y'day) I will order the egg beaters instead of the whole eggs because who knows *how* many eggs are in there!! :noway: There is also something called liquid whites.

Good day, the choc. chip cookie sounds amazing!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry I've been MIA, I've been soooo busy. Still eating clean for the most part and aiming to stay consistent. :smile: Tomorrow I am flying out to the East Coast to see my family and go on a beach vacation. I get anxious about how I will be able to eat clean and every 2-3 hours while traveling and not having access to all my creature comforts. That is the only thing I don't like about clean eating - it can be very inconvenient and time-consuming and that in turn makes me feel stressed out. But I know that the more I get used to it, the easier it will be. And I *love* everything else about it - it makes me feel energetic and healthy and I can already tell when I look in the mirror that I am slimmer and more toned. :smile:

I ate 145g of protein!! Somehow. I read in the Eat Clean Diet book by Tosca Reno that a woman who is trying to build muscle (as I am) should eat one gram of protein for every pound she weighs. Well, I ate 10g over then! I don't know how that happened though. I don't *think* it could be a bad thing...

Hey girl! I was wondering where you were! Have a safe trip. A good, portable bar is the Larabar. I like the apple pie or cherry pie. They're just fruit and nuts. You could take a baggie of mixed nuts and an apple too, I did that when we flew to FL and didn't get any hassle from the security.

Yes, I have read 1g protein per body weight also for gaining muscle. Looks just, you're keeping your body fueled. Just try again to add a little more to each mini meal!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I'm packing up my food today too. We're heading to my inlaws tomorrow until Monday. At least my MIL knows that I will bring my own food and I don't expect her to cater to my healthier eating. :wink: I know my kids will get a few more treats at Grandma's house than they do here. I've packed organic cereals, Ziploc baggied up my oatmeal in portions to mix up easily in the morning, and have fruits and veggies for snacking. Also, grilling out tonight so having my dh grill up extra chicken breasts for me. I'll weigh my chicken breasts and have them in baggies also for easy warming up. Planning ahead is key when you are going somewhere where you are out of *control*. :wink: Also taking cottage cheese and yogurt.

Anyway... so if you don't see me posting too much just know that I won't have as much internet access!! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristen
    Here is a site someone told me about: http://cleaneatingclub.com/

a paleolithic eating site that has some good recipes http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

That's about all I have at the moment--I just eat a lot of fruit/veg/lean protein, organic/grass fed/cage free etc. I try to eliminate processed foods, especially the ones wit HFCS and MSG.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! I don't think I posted at all yesterday! My daughter is in town with my grandbaby so we were out and about all day!! It is so hard to find clean eats while out!!!! :grumble: I had my usual, wonderful oatmeal breakfast. For snack I had a whole grain/flax english muffin with natural almond butter. I packed a lunch: turkey breast, swiss cheese, organic dijon mustard on whole wheat bread and grapes. I also packed a plum and string cheese for my afternoon snack. Sound great right? Well...while I stopped at the doctors for my physical my daughter bought some food for us to share. Luckily she did not do so bad and got some mediterranean food. So I shared her plate with her for lunch, not so bad. Ate too much hummus though, it was delicious. :laugh: We ended at the mall and everything was soooo tempting but I contained myself. I was looking for a place where they would have sugar free frozen yogurt but all I found was fat free frozen yogurt so I did not get it. I ended up eating my sandwich for dinner and of course the snacks throughout the day. It helps to pack things from home, definitely!!!!! :drinker: My daughter eats a lot of junk :cry: and feeds her daughter the same. I try not to say much because she gets very defensive. I think I can just lead by example and hope for the best. We are off to Sea World today. Another day full of temptations. :grumble: Have a wonderful weekend!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Hey Clean Club ~ Hope all enjoy this holiday weekend and safe travels to all who are on the roads! Ditto the comments to planning ahead for snacks, road trips...really helps to have the food ready and accessible. grab and go or heat and eat! :tongue: the more I eat cleaner the more I realize how important it is to stay consistent. AND, it is gettin easier! I truly appreciate all your help and ideas! You are great!

Have a fun weekend everyone!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hey Clean Eaters! Checking in on the drive to my inlaws! (Gotta love my BlackBerry!)

Ran 8 miles this morning.
    Pre-Run:
    Mela Access bar

Breakfast:
    Usual oatmeal + triple berries
    Medium banana

Snack (just ate it - packed for the car ride!):
    1 c. plain yogurt + 1/2 c. Blueberries
    Nectarine

Have my cooler packed and am ready to keep the eats clean at my inlaws!!
  • astridfeline
    Options
    Happy labor day weekend everybody!!
    I got up early and did my grocery shopping--woo hoo!! L:heart: ve to have good food in the house. :happy:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I have been gradually working my way to eating clean for a while...definitely a work in progress :laugh: :laugh: I just found Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook on Amazon for $2, so I couldn't pass it up. I'm looking forward to some new, healthier recipes to try.

Hope to talk to y'all soon!
  • astridfeline
    Options
    Welcome Satellite! Hope you're having a good labor day weekend. Wow you look great, over one hundred pounds lost--I'm impressed. Glad to see you're taking it to the next level with clean eating. :happy:
  • astridfeline
    Options
    Hi Ladies
    The weekend is over for me......yesterday I went to a friend's wedding and sampled everything including the chocolate raspberry cake, it was delicious! I tried to estimate everything and I think I stayed pretty close to my cal limit--at least I know I didn't go over my maintenance cals! :laugh: :laugh:

Back to the clean healthy eating today: breakfast 1 egg, 3 whites, spinach, sprouted wheat toast. I off for my 2nd session with my personal trainer woohoo!!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend as well, can't wait till you all get back!
  • scrapping_jess
    scrapping_jess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just joined MFP a few days ago and spent over an hour reading this entire thread yesterday! What an inspiration you all are! :bigsmile: My Dr. has suggested "clean eating" for my family and I guess that we have been taking baby steps with this since the beginning of summer.... I love the recipes you all have posted! I'm going grocery shopping after this to restock some of my pantry (and fresh produce). I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi Clean Eaters!! On the way home from the inlaws and had a super weekend!! I am *so* glad that I packed healthy, clean eats!! It really helped and I stayed on track! Didn't log but I pretty much know my cals and foods now. I had my usual oatmeal for breakfast, had my yogurt and blueberries for a snack, and I had chicken breast (I had cooked it ahead of time, weighed it, and marked it in serving size Ziploc baggies). Also had lean burgers, lots of veggies, fruits, etc. I had NO cheesecake, Doritos or chips, ice cream, or S'mores. And I didn't even want it so it wasn't like I felt deprived. I still had a great time!!

It will be nice to be home and back to routine!! Hope you all had a terrific Labor Day!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Pre-run: (ran 5.5 miles)
    Mela Access bar

Breakfast:
    Usual oatmeal + blueberries
    Small banana

Snack: (after Insanity Fit Test)
    Nectarine
    1/2 c. cottage cheese
    1/2 oz walnuts
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just joined MFP a few days ago and spent over an hour reading this entire thread yesterday! What an inspiration you all are! :bigsmile: My Dr. has suggested "clean eating" for my family and I guess that we have been taking baby steps with this since the beginning of summer.... I love the recipes you all have posted! I'm going grocery shopping after this to restock some of my pantry (and fresh produce). I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Welcome from another Jess!! It really helps to have the family involved. It's made a big difference in my family. My dh has lost 25# (and he also works out with me now!), and my dd's are just used to snacking on fruits, veggies, yogurt, etc. I don't buy chips, poptarts, or other junk foods that it seems that most kids their age live on. :noway: :huh: :sick: It's time to restock for me today too after a weekend away!