~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jess. My boss bought us lunch so I had a bigger than normal one but still mostly clean, so hopefully that will help with increasing my calorie intake today. I haven't worked out yet but I'm going to do an 8 mile pace run (9 min miles) so that will be like a thousand calories right there! :noway:

BTW my boss said it looks like I've lost weight. I know it's vain but I love it when people tell me that, it shows that my hard work is paying off and is noticeable. :laugh:

Wow, what are you training for, girl?? A half marathon? Good luck on your pace run! Oh yeah, everyone loves getting compliments. I got a few this weekend and got called *tiny* last night. WOOHOO! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Snack:
    Nectarine w/ 1/2 c. cottage cheese + cinnamon (this really tastes like a yummy dessert, I'm a little obsessed with it! :laugh: )
    Small kiwi while making my dd's afternoon snack (kiwi, apples, and some PB for them! :wink: )
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!

My foods today:
    1/2 banana preworkout

breakfast:
    steel cut oats, strawberries, walnuts and chocolate whey protein

Snack: plum, cheese string, peanut butter filled pretzels (not super clean)

Lunch: grilled turkey breast, big salad, raspberry vinaigrette, multi grain crackers

pm snack: yogurt, strawberries, pineapple and chopped almonds

Dinner: not sure yet, might be some grilled trout and veggies on the side, and maybe some beans.

:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Neeter, welcome back! :drinker: It sounds like you had a great vacation with your family. Wow, you are so brave, 90 days of clean eating??? I could not pull that off, not even 30 days. I am more of a people pleaser and I resent myself for being that way sometimes. Like Jess said there is always a "special occasion" being celebrated and that is when I lose my will power. I do better sometimes than others but I still lose control. I can also use a lot of support from those around me to pull off something like that and I don't have that. But I am doing well and as you said Neeter my "splurges" are also smaller ones compared to those before. Baby steps for me...

Have a wonderful day!!!! :flowerforyou:

Alf, I am a people pleaser too and that is something I have been trying to change about myself in my quest to eat clean AND to avoid alcohol. It seems that when people are eating a bunch of sugar, like cake or whatever, or drinking, they want everyone else to drink too, and I used to feel bad and give in. My sister is great but at the beach she kept making comments like I have to loosen up and live a little and I can't be on a diet on vacation and why am I being so anal etc. I told her I *was* loosening up, that I was enjoying ice cream and some alcohol and that otherwise I needed to stay on track because I was getting great results this way. And when I had on my sports bra and running shorts to go running (it was sooooo hot and humid out!), she said, "Okay wow I actually can see a big difference, I'm impressed."

So I just tell myself it's *their* issue, not mine, and I need to stick to my own plan to reach my own goals. I am not perfect of course and even during this 90 day "strict" period I will probably decide to have a little bit to drink, like I've already made myself an allowance for Halloween when we go to a big party and which I think would just not be as much fun if I weren't drinking at all and everyone else was. And I may have a little piece of birthday cake if it is my friend's birthday, etc... but they will be *my* allowances, they will be because I feel it is all right to have it then for my own reasons, and not because someone is pressuring me to eat like them. I think that if I make calorie allowances for my 10% non-clean eating and continue to eat clean 90% of the time, I will be able to meet my 3-month goal. But if I let myself say "okay, that person says I need to eat french fries with them, I'd better do it" every other day, I won't meet my goal.

I'm glad things are getting easier for you in this regard too. I've realized with clean eating and training etc. that we have to put ourselves first and make our health/fitness our number 1 priority... and there is nothing wrong with that IMO, in fact for people-pleasers like us, it can be a very good thing. :wink:

I am proud of you!! Such a young smart lady! WTG!!! :flowerforyou:
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    Jess, Which Insanity thread?

Licia
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jess. My boss bought us lunch so I had a bigger than normal one but still mostly clean, so hopefully that will help with increasing my calorie intake today. I haven't worked out yet but I'm going to do an 8 mile pace run (9 min miles) so that will be like a thousand calories right there! :noway:

BTW my boss said it looks like I've lost weight. I know it's vain but I love it when people tell me that, it shows that my hard work is paying off and is noticeable. :laugh:

Wow, what are you training for, girl?? A half marathon? Good luck on your pace run! Oh yeah, everyone loves getting compliments. I got a few this weekend and got called *tiny* last night. WOOHOO! :drinker:

Yaaay, that's awesome! My boyfriend keeps calling me tiny too, and said that whenever he hugs me, it feels like there's nothing there. (I guess compared to before because I still have some ways to go, LOL).

Yes, I am training for a half marathon which is on Oct. 18th. My best time for a half right now is 2:09 and my goal is to come in under 2 hours on this one, so, about 9 minutes per mile.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

I am proud of you!! Such a young smart lady! WTG!!! :flowerforyou:

Alf, I was just looking at the pics in your profile and you are in really good shape! If I get to where you are I will definitely eat birthday cake sometimes. ;)
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

Yaaay, that's awesome! My boyfriend keeps calling me tiny too, and said that whenever he hugs me, it feels like there's nothing there. (I guess compared to before because I still have some ways to go, LOL).

Yes, I am training for a half marathon which is on Oct. 18th. My best time for a half right now is 2:09 and my goal is to come in under 2 hours on this one, so, about 9 minutes per mile.

You go girl! I'm training for a half too...it's the week before yours. Good luck! And way to go on that pace!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hi Cleanies!

I got my Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook in the mail yesterday, and some of the recipes look really yummy. Luckily, my boyfriend will eat pretty much whatever I cook...so we'll be trying quite a few of the meals. I notice that a lot of things call for stuff like ground flax and flax seeds. Where can I find that? We have a Trader Joes, would it be in a place like that?

And what about this whey protein you ladies use?

Please forgive all my questions, this is totally new territory for me. :blushing:

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Shuntae

Hey that's great, I love cookbooks! I have been using Whole Foods vanilla flavored soy protein in my morning smoothies--it's really helped me maintain that 40-30-30 ratio. I was having trouble getting enough protein before the powder (and the beef jerky :happy: ).

If you have a little coffee grinder (I have one designated just for spices and flax--well I don't drink coffee anyway) it's better to buy whole flaxseed and grind a little at a time, b/c it does go rancid quickly. Like jess said, keep it in the fridge. I put the flax in my morning smoothie. but lots of people put it on just about everything.

Have fun experimenting with the new book and recipes--I hope your husband gets hooked too. It's easier to have that support. :bigsmile:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Hi Cleanies!

I got my Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook in the mail yesterday, and some of the recipes look really yummy. Luckily, my boyfriend will eat pretty much whatever I cook...so we'll be trying quite a few of the meals. I notice that a lot of things call for stuff like ground flax and flax seeds. Where can I find that? We have a Trader Joes, would it be in a place like that?

And what about this whey protein you ladies use?

Please forgive all my questions, this is totally new territory for me. :blushing:

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Shuntae

Hey that's great, I love cookbooks! I have been using Whole Foods vanilla flavored soy protein in my morning smoothies--it's really helped me maintain that 40-30-30 ratio. I was having trouble getting enough protein before the powder (and the beef jerky :happy: ).

If you have a little coffee grinder (I have one designated just for spices and flax--well I don't drink coffee anyway) it's better to buy whole flaxseed and grind a little at a time, b/c it does go rancid quickly. Like jess said, keep it in the fridge. I put the flax in my morning smoothie. but lots of people put it on just about everything.

Have fun experimenting with the new book and recipes--I hope your husband gets hooked too. It's easier to have that support. :bigsmile:

Yes, my sweetie is very supportive about that...plus, I made it clear a long time ago that I will not cook separate meals...if he wants junk food, he can buy or make it himself. :laugh:

I will look for the flax seed and protein powder the next time I go shopping. Maybe that will help add some cals. I've had a little trouble eating all my maintenance cals, plus exercise cals since eating cleaner...I feel like I'm eating costantly, but am too full to eat more since I'm filling up on good stuff.
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Awesome!!! I PR'ed my half marathon times this year!! My first half time was 2:07, my 2nd was 1:59, and this year I hit 1:57 and then 3 weeks later ran a 1:55!!! I was THRILLED! Pace work (tempo runs) and speedwork did it for me. I did the FIRST training plan from runnersworld.com. Let me know if you have any questions! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess, Which Insanity thread?

Licia

Here ya go... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/59755-insanity?page=20#posts-825484
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Alf, I am a people pleaser too and that is something I have been trying to change about myself in my quest to eat clean AND to avoid alcohol. It seems that when people are eating a bunch of sugar, like cake or whatever, or drinking, they want everyone else to drink too, and I used to feel bad and give in.
    So I just tell myself it's *their* issue, not mine, and I need to stick to my own plan to reach my own goals. I am not perfect of course and even during this 90 day "strict" period I will probably decide to have a little bit to drink, like I've already made myself an allowance for Halloween when we go to a big party and which I think would just not be as much fun if I weren't drinking at all and everyone else was. And I may have a little piece of birthday cake if it is my friend's birthday, etc... but they will be *my* allowances, they will be because I feel it is all right to have it then for my own reasons, and not because someone is pressuring me to eat like them. I think that if I make calorie allowances for my 10% non-clean eating and continue to eat clean 90% of the time, I will be able to meet my 3-month goal. But if I let myself say "okay, that person says I need to eat french fries with them, I'd better do it" every other day, I won't meet my goal.

I'm glad things are getting easier for you in this regard too. I've realized with clean eating and training etc. that we have to put ourselves first and make our health/fitness our number 1 priority... and there is nothing wrong with that IMO, in fact for people-pleasers like us, it can be a very good thing. :wink:

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!! This has been my issue too. My Mom is a real *social* eater. So when she wants something, she'll want someone to eat with her. That was my problem growing up. And food became a comfort thing for me too.

Not anymore!!!!!!!! Food is fuel, and not for comfort and not to make someone else happy. There's nothing wrong w/ saying no thank you to someone if you don't want something they offer you. If they try to make you feel guilty, then that is *their* issue, not yours.

Of course, now that I have lost the weight and kept it off, people look to me for advice and just assume that I won't eat the cake/ cookie/ ice cream. That makes it easier not to even have to say no. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Yes, my sweetie is very supportive about that...plus, I made it clear a long time ago that I will not cook separate meals...if he wants junk food, he can buy or make it himself. :laugh:

I will look for the flax seed and protein powder the next time I go shopping. Maybe that will help add some cals. I've had a little trouble eating all my maintenance cals, plus exercise cals since eating cleaner...I feel like I'm eating costantly, but am too full to eat more since I'm filling up on good stuff.

That is great! My dh is the same way. Some things I can't change about him (I have to buy him regular Jif Extra Crunchy PB, Hellman's real mayo, and a few other things). But he eats a lot healthier, he works out with me, and... he's lost 25#!!!!!! So, that just goes to show you that your changes can make a big difference in the people around you and your family too. :bigsmile:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Morning all! My breakfast today:
    1 egg, 3 whites scrambled w/ collard greens
    1 chicken apple sausage
    2 slices sprouted grain toast
    400 cal

Happy Friday :happy:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    happyy Friday Clean Eaters! :bigsmile:

jess your oatmeal w/coffee is soundin kinda gourmet there! :bigsmile: mmmmm! :tongue:

finally finished JM Master Metabolism book. still going to reference it a lot...and i have the most current Clean Eating mag. very helpful and some de-lish recipes! yum! this whole make-over is so eye opening. i am doing pretty good with breakfast, snacks, and lunch. dinner needs to improve, but i feel so much better already! unbelievable! what the world would have been had there never ever been processed!????? :noway: so very glad and thankful i found htis thread! i'm lovin it!

will be cleaning my house and ME today! have a great weekend!! :flowerforyou:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

You go girl! I'm training for a half too...it's the week before yours. Good luck! And way to go on that pace!

Thanks Satellite! :wink: I've been training for this harder than anything in the past I think. I've run marathons before and have definitely done *longer* training runs, but at a slow pace. Which half marathon are you running? My dad (who lives in Pennsylvania) is running the Scranton marathon a week before my half marathon; he's trying to qualify for Boston. But I don't think the Scranton has a half so I doubt that's the one you're running!
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

I feel the same way. I've noticed that with clean eating I am naturally full/satisfied and then naturally hungry, but never "starving" or stuffed full like I used to be. So I just make sure to eat every 2 - 3 hours, *try* to make sure I get a lean protein and veggies and/or fruit with each meal, eat when I'm hungry (which is every 2-3 hours... so the only time I have problems is when I don't have any clean food on me and I'm really hungry!), and until I'm not hungry any more. This usually means I don't take in all my exercise calories on the days I work out a lot (otherwise I feel I would be stuffing myself full with stuff just for the calorie count and not because I'm naturally hungry), and eating more than my 1200 "net" calorie goal on the days I don't work out (otherwise I am hungry). I figure it all balances out and I've also realized that I naturally eat around 1700-1800 calories on days I work out and around 1400 on days I don't work out, and I think that's fine, definitely not starvation mode. It feels like the right amount for me and in the past I was always questioning everything I did because I didn't know my own body well enough. So I think you should just go with what feels natural but if it feels like you need more "good" calories then yes, protein powder is an excellent way to get it (130 calories or so in a scoop) and so are nuts, avocados, natural peanut butter, even an extra banana has 110 calories!, olive oil, seeds. Good luck.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Awesome!!! I PR'ed my half marathon times this year!! My first half time was 2:07, my 2nd was 1:59, and this year I hit 1:57 and then 3 weeks later ran a 1:55!!! I was THRILLED! Pace work (tempo runs) and speedwork did it for me. I did the FIRST training plan from runnersworld.com. Let me know if you have any questions! :bigsmile:

That's great Jess, congratulations! I do a pace run (which is where I run at my goal half marathon pace, and increase by a mile every week) and a long run every week, except now the distance is getting higher and my pace runs are almost as long as my long runs so I'm not sure whether I should stop the pace runs, or the long runs, or what! I have followed training plans by Hal Higdon and in RW etc. before but pace runs are just something I started doing to test myself with how fast I could go for how long, and they seem to work best for me. I also do either a hill interval workout or a speed interval workout every week. I do a tempo run every week except if something doesn't fit in, it usually ends up being this, because tempo runs don't seem too challenging for me... maybe I do them wrong. And then if I have any extra days I do an easy run interspersed with fartlek speed bursts. I also do some strength/toning work, which I would like to do more of if I could ever find the time!

When you're training for a race, how much weight lifting do you do and how often?
  • neeterskeeter
    Options

Of course, now that I have lost the weight and kept it off, people look to me for advice and just assume that I won't eat the cake/ cookie/ ice cream. That makes it easier not to even have to say no. :bigsmile:

It does get easier as you go and I too have noticed that people just assume I always "eat healthy" now. Do you ever have any cake/cookie/ice cream? I used to have such a sweet tooth and I occasionally have ice cream and chocolate, my two faves. But now they are definitely rare treats where they used to be commonplace. And people do notice and comment.