for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options

Replies

• maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    booo urns... thunderstorm when I got home from workand it has been a crazy downpour with winds about 65km per hour today...stupid canadian weather!

I`ll take my camera tomorrow and hopefully there will be a nice sunrise when im out and I`ll do my best to snap it :)
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have suddenly and inexplicably lost all my motivation! And I don't have time for this! I have agreed to run with a friend of mine in a 5k a week from Saturday. She's already signed up, I've got to as well. I haven't run since Sunday... and it's getting late.

I'd planned on trying outside but put it off yesterday, and don't feel very motivated today. Maybe I should just keep up my routine at the gym... I did Wk9day1 last run... just gotta get out there! Arrgh!
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    JPrice..,.you can totally do this. Apparently you are running a race the day before I am and I just finished week 9 day2 on monday! We can totally do this!

Just make sure to do your next few runs outside so that you're more comfortable with the breathing/wind resistance/hills etc! You will be amazing!

Im more than a little nervous, but thankfully I have a friend who is running with me and already knows itwill be closer to 50 minutes to complete it and she is fine with that.She just wants to me finish it!!! I hope your friend is just as supportive. Actually...make your friend come running with you to motivate you to do it and do it well :)
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Ok maddiebabe.... I put on those running shoes and made the run outside - ran 2.5 miles in 38 minutes. Once I stopped whining and got out there, it went just fine! Coulda run farther. Next run gotta plan a 3.1 outdoor route and see how long it takes.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Very cool, welcome! :explode:

:laugh: How did that angry looking guy show up? I wanted the :flowerforyou: guy. haha
  • toots99
    Options
    I'm not letting this thread die. :noway: Ran half of the 5k trail last night. I don't think we'll run that one again for awhile because it gets dark too soon and it's scary. Two beautiful, svelte ladies like us could get kidnapped and never be seen again. :tongue: (Note to self -- don't eat fruit before leaving work on the evenings you run. Eat something proteiny instead.)

Did you get your HRM Toots? I need to start wearing mine again. It's not gonna do me any good if I don't wear it. :bigsmile:

Good luck on your runs everyone. Enjoy. :flowerforyou:

I got it today, I'll strap it on again tomorrow. i wish I was rich so I could afford to buy one of the fncy ones that doesn't need to be strapped on. :frown: I hate it, I gets me a little anxious and claustrophobic-ish.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! Looks like there's been good progress in the past few days - WAY TO GO!!! I haven't been logging in, but have been continuing to do the running....

Jprice- how's the motivation? Is there anything we can do to offer extra support, cheers and encouragement? If it helps, your comments have been encouraging to me as I've taken on this journey.

Maddie, Jenn and Betty - it helps me so much to read the distances you guys are doing... it seems like i fluctuate so much on how far I can get in the amount of time, and it was getting discouraging. I feel better knowing I'm in the same general neighborhood as you all.

I ran 40 minutes without even meaning to the other day, but then today, could only make it 15 until it was time for a short walk break. What's up with that?
  • toots99
    Options
    I ran 40 minutes without even meaning to the other day, but then today, could only make it 15 until it was time for a short walk break. What's up with that?

Some days are like that! A little while back I was doing 30 minutes straight, now I take a water break at about the 15 minute mark.

As for me, today I ran 5K on the treadmill! I did stop for a minute twice, but I did it!!!!! I was doing week 9, which was a 30 minute run. I started out feeling great...at 15 minutes I took a water break for a minute. When I got to about 30 minutes, I realized I was a mile away from 3.2 miles (the 5 minute warmup was .3 miles)...so I was like "Another mile? I got this!" And after another minute water break, I did it. It was about 52 minutes altogether...I got my HRM today, strapped it on, and burned 679 calories. And when I was done, I felt great! No side stitches, no leg pain, nothing...it was awesome!
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    i have a question for you all. i'm considering doing the couch to 5k, but i was just curious, if i've hit a plateau and cant seem to lose much weight, is this going to help get me off my plateau? I hope so!!!:flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    Options
    Yes! I was at a plateau all summer, and once I started this program, the pounds started coming off! Sure, everyone's different, but it definitely worked for me!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I checked my camera this morning to make sure the batteries weren't low and they weren't but I'm at my limit on pictures I can take. :frown: I need to get another card I guess with more picture space. Whatever it's called. Anyway, I'll have to dig out my photo copier and download the pics onto it so I can free up my camera. Maybe Amy can bring her camera and take a pic of where we're running tonight.

Hope to see some pics soon from the rest of you. :bigsmile:
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was at a plateau all summer, and once I started this program, the pounds started coming off! Sure, everyone's different, but it definitely worked for me!
    WONDERFUL! I'm excited! I started the 30 day shred 7 days ago so I'm going to finish that and starting the beginning of nov. I will be doing this! I'm excited!! :bigsmile:
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Just wondering if you guys could shed some light on this.....I constantly get side stitches when I run. I run through the pain but OUCH! Is there something I can do to prevent them or is it inevitable?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.:blushing:

Also I need to rant. My hubby used my Ipod and left it in his pants. He put it through the washer AND the dryer. It will never be the same again!!!:explode: :explode: :explode: Ok, I am done...I feel a little better.
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    awww that sucks about the IPOD....i hope you can get a new one soon. im really excited because I am 2lbs away from my first mini incentive which was that if I lost 10lbs and completed a 5km race then my fiance would buy me my FIRST EVER IPOD NANO and I run the 5km on October 18th and need to lose 1.8lbs to hit 10lbs :) Im puuuumped!!

So I have a weird question too. I tried a body step class at the gym I work at and I ahve never done it before. I wore my heart rate monitor and I burned 787calories which was AMAZING and I finished the class without having to leave early (I usede to leave cardio classes 1/2 way through because I couldnt do it) Anyway, I am amazed how much my cardio improved through this running program but I was wondering if its a good idea to do things like that (ex cardio classes etc) on the days I dont run just to keep getting those nasty pounds off...

Anyway, Im running 30 minutes again tomorrow woo hoo. I cant wait. I just found out my parents and my sister are coming up to cheer me on next sunday at the race which blew me away....apparently they are "sooo proud of me, they want to show me how proud they are" and it made me realize how far we have all come in the last few months.....WE ARE AMAZING RUNNING FOOLS lol :laugh:

:flowerforyou: thanks for all the support everyone!!!!:blushing:
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    i have a question for you all. i'm considering doing the couch to 5k, but i was just curious, if i've hit a plateau and cant seem to lose much weight, is this going to help get me off my plateau? I hope so!!!:flowerforyou:

It made a HUGE difference for me starting around week 4. DO IT!
  • JPriceGA
    Options

Jprice- how's the motivation? Is there anything we can do to offer extra support, cheers and encouragement? If it helps, your comments have been encouraging to me as I've taken on this journey.

Happy to report I'm back on track. I run again tomorrow or Saturday for W9D3! I'm going for the whole 3.1 (excluding a .3m warm-up walk) I'll report back on how long it takes... I'll be off the treadmill and onto the street for the next week through my 5k on the 17th. I may even post a new pic after that :-)
  • toots99
    Options
    Just wondering if you guys could shed some light on this.....I constantly get side stitches when I run. I run through the pain but OUCH! Is there something I can do to prevent them or is it inevitable?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.:blushing:

Also I need to rant. My hubby used my Ipod and left it in his pants. He put it through the washer AND the dryer. It will never be the same again!!!:explode: :explode: :explode: Ok, I am done...I feel a little better.

Not a dumb question at all! I once read that when you're running, concentrate on inhaling when your left foot lands, and as your right arm pulls back. It sounds strange, but it's helped immemsely. And breathe through your mouth. When you're doing high intensity cardio such as running, you need to breathe through your mouth. If you breathe through your nose only or nose and mouth, you can't get oxygen as quickly as you need it. And just make sure your breathe in a controlled manner, not huffing and puffing. That'll just make it worse. Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    Options
    awww that sucks about the IPOD....i hope you can get a new one soon. im really excited because I am 2lbs away from my first mini incentive which was that if I lost 10lbs and completed a 5km race then my fiance would buy me my FIRST EVER IPOD NANO and I run the 5km on October 18th and need to lose 1.8lbs to hit 10lbs :) Im puuuumped!!

So I have a weird question too. I tried a body step class at the gym I work at and I ahve never done it before. I wore my heart rate monitor and I burned 787calories which was AMAZING and I finished the class without having to leave early (I usede to leave cardio classes 1/2 way through because I couldnt do it) Anyway, I am amazed how much my cardio improved through this running program but I was wondering if its a good idea to do things like that (ex cardio classes etc) on the days I dont run just to keep getting those nasty pounds off...

Anyway, Im running 30 minutes again tomorrow woo hoo. I cant wait. I just found out my parents and my sister are coming up to cheer me on next sunday at the race which blew me away....apparently they are "sooo proud of me, they want to show me how proud they are" and it made me realize how far we have all come in the last few months.....WE ARE AMAZING RUNNING FOOLS lol :laugh:

:flowerforyou: thanks for all the support everyone!!!!:blushing:

I think it's fine to do cardio classes on your non-running days...they just advise a day off from running in the beginning to give your body time to get used to it.

And yes, we're the Running Fools! I think we should start a new thread and call the Running Fools Club! :laugh: :drinker:
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    [/quote]

Not a dumb question at all! I once read that when you're running, concentrate on inhaling when your left foot lands, and as your right arm pulls back. It sounds strange, but it's helped immemsely. And breathe through your mouth. When you're doing high intensity cardio such as running, you need to breathe through your mouth. If you breathe through your nose only or nose and mouth, you can't get oxygen as quickly as you need it. And just make sure your breathe in a controlled manner, not huffing and puffing. That'll just make it worse. Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

I am going to try this on my run tomorrow. I did week 5 day 3 yesterday. I wasn't able to do the whole 20 minutes. So sad. I had to take a walking break because of the stupid side stitch. I think that if I am concentrating on my breathing it will also take my mind off how long the run is. Thanks for the tip!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Is your hubby related to my son? He used to wash his phone all the time until I finally stopped buying new phones for him. Miraculously he never washes his phone now that he has to buy his own. :huh: