for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to stop by and tell all of you that you CAN DO THIS I just finished my first 5km race EVER in 42 minutes and 12 seconds! I wanted to say thank you to all of you who helped me through motivation and education to get me where I am today!

I ran with a friend who helped to motivate me. I had to walk a few times becaues my sinus infection is still really really bad so I didnt have the lung capacity I did a couple weeks ago, but regardless....I still finished it!

JAN I know i said this on the other post too, but you're amazing :smile: And everyone....I look forward to reading about all of you becoming graduates in the near futur because you are all able to do this!

next step is getting toa 1/2 marathon by October 17th, 2010!!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to stop by and tell all of you that you CAN DO THIS I just finished my first 5km race EVER in 42 minutes and 12 seconds! I wanted to say thank you to all of you who helped me through motivation and education to get me where I am today!

I ran with a friend who helped to motivate me. I had to walk a few times becaues my sinus infection is still really really bad so I didnt have the lung capacity I did a couple weeks ago, but regardless....I still finished it!

JAN I know i said this on the other post too, but you're amazing :smile: And everyone....I look forward to reading about all of you becoming graduates in the near futur because you are all able to do this!

next step is getting toa 1/2 marathon by October 17th, 2010!!!

YAY FOR MADDIE!!!!!!! Awesome job! You must feel AMAZING!!!! Thanks for the post.... watch out 1/2 marathon - Maddie's after you!!! :)
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    AlyssasMommy - My next goal is to run the rest of this weight off (aka run my a** off!)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I did measurements today, b/c I'm going to start the 30 day shred (I think) and I WISH i would've done them before I started Cto5K because i KNOW the running is what's been melting this off, day by day.

The last measurements I had were from approximately April... (I started Cto5K in July)... but get this!!
    I lost 2 inches in my waist, 2.8 (high hip circumference), 3.9 in my hip circumference, and 1.4 on each thigh. With the TOTAL of all measurements, I've lost 19.6 inches!!!! Holy 5K!!!!!!
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    I did measurements today, b/c I'm going to start the 30 day shred (I think) and I WISH i would've done them before I started Cto5K because i KNOW the running is what's been melting this off, day by day.

The last measurements I had were from approximately April... (I started Cto5K in July)... but get this!!
    I lost 2 inches in my waist, 2.8 (high hip circumference), 3.9 in my hip circumference, and 1.4 on each thigh. With the TOTAL of all measurements, I've lost 19.6 inches!!!! Holy 5K!!!!!!

Wow...thats amazing. How much do you love losing inches :smile: There is NOTHING better than slipping into a pair of jeans that didnt fit two months ago. You are a rock star!!!! I slipped into a pair of moto jeans I havent worn in 8 MONTHS and I couldnt believe that they fit comfortably. And just in time since i wore my other good pair of jeans Friday night and by the end of the night I slid them off without even undoing them! I cant wait to hear more great experiences!!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Today I officially graduate from Couch to 5k with the completion of my 5k run in 41 minutes 7 seconds! My goal was 45 minutes. I didn't walk at all during the entire race. That's my fastest - If I did the math right it came out to 4.5 MPH. Wahooo!

Awesome job!! :flowerforyou:

I've been such a slacker all weekend! I ate junky, didn't log anything, or go to the gym! :sick: :noway: :embarassed:

But today's a new day...*climbs back on the wagon excitedly* :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced this? Since I've started running, I've had a dull ache in the front of my leg, (not shin splints, I've unfortunately had those before). It's just a dull, sometimes throbbing, ache below my knee area on my right leg. I haven't run or exercised in a few days, and it's still hurting. I've tried massaging it, I've tried icing it (I can't find my heating pad to heat it), I've tried aspirin...it's not excruciating, just bothersome.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Uh oh... it appears our lovely thread is dying a slow death.... Toots, I haven't had the pains you're talking about - just lucky maybe? I dunnoo...

I had to take a couple of days off from running but am now back in the groove - and it felt good to get otu there again! :)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Smiles to the rescue! :happy:

I think I'm getting the hang of running on a treadmill a little better now. I'd still rather run outside though. Toots, I hope your leg gets better. I don't know what to tell you, I haven't had that problem.

I got my first issue of Runner's World yesterday and I'm feeling even more like a runner. :bigsmile:
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    Hey Toots,

I asked my cousin who is a doctor because i was having simmillar pains and she said that its probably a lactic acid build up. Apparently it can crystalize in your body and you really have to work to losen it back up.

She told me to go for a nice long walk and warm up the muscles. when you get back home, either yourself or possibly someone else rub your shins (and calves) to help break up the acid. Once it is warm, it will be easier to break up and move out of the tender places. I hope that this maybe helps.

I found that i really noticed it when i would go for the slightly longer runs so maybe if you're pushing yourself you're also feeling more fatigue within your musles than you might normally

good luck with it :)
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options

That's terrific! A great reason to smile!