Ladies, would you date someone shorter than you?

Options

Replies

• ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    No.

I realize that by not dating someone shorter than me, I technically miss out on a great percentage of amazing men. I just cannot help but feel majorly awkward standing next to a man who is shorter than I am.

My love of high heels will trumps the desire to date anyone under 5'9.

I'm shallow like that.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11. When I was single, being shorter than me was not a deal breaker, but being insecure about height was. A 5'11 guy that was insecure about not being taller than me, and made me feel huge? no. A shorter guy that didn't let the height difference bother him and didn't make ME feel defected? Bring it on.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and my ex husband was a hair over 5'5"

In fact, I've only been with one guy taller than myself, and that was very recently. I think he may have ruined me for short men but, in the past, I had no problem with dating men shorter than myself.
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 7" and am generally attracted to shorter guys. I have my reasons and they have always proved true :bigsmile:

I think I understand and I second that opinion
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If the short guy is packing a Monty Python...all the girls would date him ;)

Yup
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    It would depend entirely on the guy. Of course, I'm only 5'3" so it's not really something that comes up much for me.
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    I'm 5ft 10 1/2, so really I can't afford to be picky about shorter men. :laugh:

Ultimately, it doesn't really change much, but I suppose I would like a guy around 5ft 11. But oh well. :smile:
  • love4ransom
    love4ransom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and 3 quarters. So I'm right at 6ft. I was taller than all the boys in the school until I got to high school. The tall guys didn't want to date me b/c I was either just as tall as them, or barely under their height and they wanted to be with a little lady they could throw over their shoulder. Since I wasn't doll sized it made it really hard for me to date. Short guys didn't want to date me either. So I had to rebel against my parents and start getting with college guys that didn't care about that sort of thing...lol. I'm married now and my hubby is an inch shorter than me. AND he can throw me over his shoulder...lol. I think when you REALLY love someone, size doesn't matter.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    If the short guy is packing a Monty Python...all the girls would date him ;)

Fail :huh:
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No; not again. I did though for 4 years. I'm 5'7" he was bout 5'5" and I always wear at least a 3-4' heel. It was my issue mostly though. I was attracted to his confidence but I didn't like feeling like a giant next to him. I'm confident as well so my walk is upright with my head held high - kinda weird reaching so far down to hold his hand.
  • sashaeverett
    sashaeverett Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband is about1/4 inch shorter than me, but it doesn't bother me. To me it is more about thier personality.
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would. I don't care what height my lady is, as long as she's got a great personality and likes me for me. :smile:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I'm just not attracted to men shorter than I am. I'm only 5'3" so it's not really something that I've ever had to worry about in my adult life, but I'm just not into it. I prefer to be able to wear heels and not be taller than the guy I'm with (same height with heels on is fine). I guess it makes me feel petite or something lol
  • ashley2586
    ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and the shortest guy I have dated was 5'4. I hated that I felt I could only wear flats around him. (other short guys I have dated were comfortable with me wearing heels though!)

Went on a date last night and the guy was 6'7!!! First time it's hurt to look up at someone. lol
  • mandiemma
    mandiemma Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" (178 cm) and I will not date anyone shorter than me ( did it once - never again) . Is it superficial? Maybe - but I want to feel safe and enveloped in my mans arms and when he's shorter than me I feel like I was the protector in the relationship. My current SO is 2cms taller than me and it kind of drives me nuts. I hate wearing heels around him, because we look/feel funny when i have to lean down to kiss him.

When you read books about relationships the man is 99.9% of the time usually taller than the woman so that's what I grew up thinking it should be like - i blame all my relationship preassumptions on literature ;-)
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I married someone shorter than me once. We didn't divorce because he was short, we divorced because he was a *kitten*.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Tough one…

I am 6’1” and wear heels (at times near 6’5”).

I dated someone who was 5’9”. He liked it at first, but I guess it got to him. He started *****ing about my heels, or my cowboy boots. Started pushing me towards flats. He actually started wearing MY cowboy boots so that I couldn’t wear them, and he’d be that much taller. I spent a good part of that relationship embarrassed about my height. Then I dumped him and regained myself.

I married someone 6’1” and a half. (He always added the “and a half”). We are now separating after 13 years of marriage – not because of the height, he didn’t seem to care about the heels – liked that my *kitten* was that much easier to grab.

Would I date someone shorter again. Yes, for a couple of reasons… 1) I’m not dating their height, I am dating THEM. 2) My options are pretty limited if I look for 6’2” or higher. Would I be apprehensive about dating someone shorter, sadly yes, because of my first experience. Unless they’ve got history dating someone taller, I don’t know that I’d trust them to know if it truly bothered them.

Would I like someone tall? Well, I’ve always wanted someone who could pick me up without stumbling around as if they’re picking up an elephant. So if you are 5’9” and can lift me – YAY! If you are 6’2” and cannot… :-(
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Im 5'8 and would not date someone shorter than me
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    One of the first guys I dated was about my height, around 5'2" maybe a little taller. I didn't really care about it, though. My husband is 6'0", but I wouldn't care if he were shorter or taller than that. I guess height doesn't really make a difference for me, unless a guy was much shorter than me, and if he got any short than 4'11", well... then I'd be dating a midget and midget aren't my thing. :ohwell:
  • Xandralexa
    Xandralexa Posts: 87
    Options
    It would make no sense for me to date someone shorter than me. I'm like 5'11".
    No discrimination on my part because most guys under my height are looking for someone shorter. It seems natural.
    Women tend to prefer men who are taller than them, and men tend to prefer women who are shorter than them.