WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Susan: I was just looking for your name to send an email to you. I've missed you. Sounds like you're doing well- that's good. Enjoy the weather while it's here.
    Esther
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Barb congrats on 35 down. That is great. Susie great work on goals. I exercise every day and love it. Feel like I missed something when I have to miss. Keep up the great work.
    Vicki M
  • thechurchlady
    Options
    my doctor's visit went very well...and it's after 7 and I am not hungry yet... :happy: if I am not hungry, I am not eating!:smile:

thanks for the advice and encouragement...
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    WOW Barb and Susan!
    Churchlady, you only stumbled you did not fall. Start again tomorrow.
    Vicky what type of exercise are you doing?
    I have been under estimating my water. Today kept track and I am at 12 cups of water plus the other liquids I drink, mostly green tea and half caff coffee.
    Another lovely day here in the midwest, have lovely evenings ladies.

Alice
  • babysteps
    Options
    As promised, I am back here to share that at WI today, I was down 2.2 lbs. This makes me very happy because I've been in a funk for quite a while now. It's good to see that things are finally moving again.

Congrats Barb and Susan ~ keep it up!

Churchlady, the day is never wasted just because a few undesirable choices were made. Just pick yourself up and start again :smile:

Ester, I will be going down to set up my trainer after dinner ~ things got hectic for me and I ran out of time! I'm still keeping up with my tracking and water intake.

Have a great evening!
    Take care,
    Deborah
    :flowerforyou:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good evening Everyone:flowerforyou: Welcome back Ellen:smile: good to see your smile again:smile:
    Congratulations Barb..:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: and Deborah:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: churchlady :wink: glad to hear doctor app. went well:smile: I too fell but today was a new day only went over by 20 calories and then did Leslie Sansone 3 mile which is 45 minutes. :love: I found individually frozen Tilapia fillets and only 85 calories. Put them in microwave about 5 minutes (depending on microwave) served with 280 calorie weight watchers roasted potatoes with brocoli and cheese 365 calories total for dinner, very filling and yummy. Everyone have a great Friday. Prayers and hugs for all, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Drink that water
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi! I've been on but haven't posted. I have been very busy getting one daughter off to college, visiting with my ARMY son home from Korea, visiting with another son who was gone all summer as a Neighborhood Bible Time evangelist, painting bedrooms and trying to get ready for school to start. In the meantime, I have continued to lose about 1 pound per week and am thankful for that admist the flurry of activity. Good to read about all of you. Keep on keeping on! The pounds are coming off!!:flowerforyou:
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone,
    Well it's a new month with new goals. I did pretty good last month. My goal was to lose 5 pounds but I am happy with 4. Now that I have recovered from my knee surgery and can exercise I am hopeful for more pounds in September but I am setting a goal of 4 pounds.

I had a killer migraine today:grumble: and came home from work early to rest. I felt much better after a nap so I went for a 40 minute walk with my friend and my dogs. I am going to bed early as I am worn out. When I have a migraine I want to eat. It seems to lift the pain for the brief time that I am eating but then it comes right back. I have medication that usually interups the migraine but every once in a while it doesn't work. The eating for migraine relief is an illusion:devil: :devil: that I have fallen prey to many times. You know.....doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I didn't do to bad today. A couple of tablespoons of frosting and a bag of popcorn at Ace Hardware but still within my calories for the day (right at the top).:bigsmile:

Well it's great to start a new month. I look forward to reading all your sharing for help along the way.
    Lianne
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :flowerforyou: God made rainy days so gardeners would do their housework.

Glad I mowed last night. Looks like today I'll be burnin calories INDOORS.
  • babysteps
    Options
    Love the quote, Susan! Then why is it when it is rainy, I just feel like curling up with a good book? It's much cooler here today so I will attempt to set up my elliptical trainer. I've already marked it in my exercise tracker, but I'm thinking maybe just the act of putting it together will be enough for the day :laugh: My laundry is also calling out to me! :ohwell:

We have been invited out for dinner this evening so I will have to be very careful with my food choices. Wishing everyone a healthy and productive day.

Take care,
    Deborah
  • Grammymax
    Options
    I had a killer migraine today:grumble: and came home from work early to rest. I felt much better after a nap so I went for a 40 minute walk with my friend and my dogs. I am going to bed early as I am worn out. When I have a migraine I want to eat. It seems to lift the pain for the brief time that I am eating but then it comes right back. I have medication that usually interups the migraine but every once in a while it doesn't work. The eating for migraine relief is an illusion:devil: :devil: that I have fallen prey to many times. You know.....doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I didn't do to bad today. A couple of tablespoons of frosting and a bag of popcorn at Ace Hardware but still within my calories for the day (right at the top).:bigsmile:

Well it's great to start a new month. I look forward to reading all your sharing for help along the way.
    Lianne
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Those migranes can really drain you of your energy. Hopefully you were able to sleep it off last night. I feel your pain :cry: Take care.
    Esther
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Deborah: Stay focused and you can do it! :love: (that's supposed to be you keeping your eyes focused:laugh: Anyway, someone said several days ago to look over the food available and just have those that are healthy and place them on your plate. Then be done - socialize with a glass of water in your hand! Good luck.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. We will not be traveling or picnicing but know that many of you may be. Stay safe.

Esther
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    We have been invited out for dinner this evening so I will have to be very careful with my food choices. Wishing everyone a healthy and productive day.

Take care,
    Deborah

That is why I try to save mowing for Fridays. We take my inlaws out on Friday nights. I'd say get in at least 300 calories worth of exercise and then go enjoy your evening out with friends.

:flowerforyou: I must confess it didn't rain, only clouded up so I spent the morning outdoors working on a new pathway in my garden. My house is still untouched. :blushing:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi Ellen,

I did not lose either and I wanted to scream and cry. But I kept up exercise, and stopped weighing. I got down 3 sizes in close and many compliments. I then put back on 12. I getting those back off now and I have a new attitude.

yes, I want the weight off but I am going to put my nose to the grindstone. I'm not looking down at the scale, up at my family for cudos, or to the side wondering what 'diet program will work better. I'm counting calories, fat, writng my food down and getting busy doing stuff I like to do. My goal is 20 pounds by my birthday. I'll take anything that's a loss.

Hang in there. I love this site and the people on it for encouragement. kc:smile:
  • babysteps
    Options
    Liane, I've only ever had one severe migraine in my life and it kept me in bed for four days! They are horrible and I hope you feel better very soon.

Well, as I expected, it took me over two hours to set up the elliptical trainer. I had a couple of washers left over though. I guess if they're important I'll know soon enough. :laugh: Although I am very tired now, I still want to get on it and try it out because I've never used one before. I also went online and chose what I would eat at the restaurant tonight. We're going to East Side Mario's and I'm having salad (plain, I'll sneak in my own ff dressing) with a grilled chicken breast. I even have the nutritional information so I'm feeling okay with it. Now ~ let's see if I can do it! What am I saying???? Of course I can!

Have a nice evening, everyone!

Take care,
    Deborah
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Deborah,
    My first two months on MFP I refused to eat in a restaurant because I didn't have my attitude in good shape yet and I didn't know enough about healthy eating to recognize the food to choose.

Now I go to restaurants when necessary and through a few bad experiences have learned what to look for on the menu and what questions to ask. Even my two biggest mistakes were giant learning experiences and helped me be successful the next time. Some wise person said, "the success of a dinner party doesn't depend on what's on the table, but on what's in the chairs."

Of course you will succeed at dinner. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Congratulations on setting up the elliptical. I'm looking forward to hearing about how you like using it. Will you watch TV or listen to music while you're on it?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Lianne, I'm so sorry to hear about your migraine. After all the pain and suffering with your knee, it's not fair that you had a new kind of pain. I hope you're back on track soon and walking and running with your dogs.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    kc----you're so right to stick to your plan. I know someone who tried a new diet program every week, never really learned the "rules" of the one she was on, and hasn't lost any weight in months. Never, never, never give up.

:heart: :heart: :heart: Thank you all for your sharing and encouragement. None of us can do this alone.
    Barbie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Deborah, I eat out all the time. My family celebrates every birthday and any other occasion we can think of with dinner out. I have learned to check the websites ahead of time and pick out my food ahead of time and stick with it. I am pretty successful at this. There are only a couple of restaurants that I absolutely avoid because I have not figured out anything I can eat there. ( Cane's, chinese buffet, wing stop are a few.) YOu can do it. You have a plan, stick to it. good luck with the ellipitical. I love the machine. It is a killer at first. Just take it slow and work up to more minutes. I started at 3 minutes and can do 45 on a good day. The great thing about an elliptical is that you can do a shorter workout and burn more calories. What kind did you get?
    I just finished 35 min with Leslie Sansone. Have to take granddaughter to meet mom and dad at wedding this evening so did not have time to go to gym. I did okay but did not burn my usual amount of calories. I may visit gym tonight if not home too late. Have to go shower and dress not. Talk to you guys tomorrow. Have a great Friday.
    Vicki M
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    GOOD EVENING LADIES:flowerforyou: Today was a good day :wink: I put on my "calorie stepper" and did 11,831 steps since 5:30 this morning. I did Leslie Sansone 3 mile, drank at least 5-16 ounce bottles of water, kept within my calories, and now I think I will go to bed. Everyone have a good night. I wll check in tomorrow, Rosemary:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Drink that water
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Good night all.

Beautiful fall day here, first red leaves on the maple tree in the back yard. My son took a picture of frost on the grass 3 days ago.

It has been a long day but a good one did 2 miles of Leslie Sansone Hips and Thighs and 1 mile of intervals, threw in some weights and squats for good measure. Drank my water like a good girl, 12 cups. I am very ready to call it a night. Nite All
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, :flowerforyou:

Belatedly, here is a recap of August. I lost 8 lbs, despite not being able to keep up on my walking during the last half of the month, due to other demands on my time.

I won't make my goal for Labor Day, but considering the disruptions in July and August, I think I have done pretty well. I waved goodbye to 35 pounds in 20 weeks. As of today, there are 17 weeks left til January 1, 2010, so I might make my year end goal of 70 pounds gone, but it may elude me until a few weeks into the New Year.

As for September, I would like to be down another 8-10 pounds by the beginning of October. That will mean I celebrate my entrance into the "One"-derful world of "ones"--no more 2's as the first digit in my weight. Now that the latest crisis has more or less resolved, I need to resume walking, more so during the week than before, due to the demands on my time caused by the return of available overtime (OT) to my work schedule.

I also want to start doing some toning and firming exercises. I have some equipment, just have to come up with a program I can do at least 3 times per week.

Since my wallet needs to be fattened as much as my body does NOT, I have to strike a balance in time spent working on OT vs. time spent working out. But I guess life is all about balance, isn't it?

I had a very tasty dinner tonight. I took 1/2 of a large green pepper, put it in the microwave for about a minute on high by itself, then I added a cup of Nasi Goreng-- an Indonesian rice dish that I get from Trader Joe's--only 130 calories for a cup. I then added a cup of Imagine low sodium tomato soup, and put it all back in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes. When it came out, I added a small amount of shredded sharp cheddar. Even with the cheese there was about 260 calories, 4 grams of fat, 10 grams of protein and the sodium was a little high, 800 mg, but my day overall was only about 1800 mg of sodium, so that isn't too bad.

I intended to get a walk in tonight, and I did, sort of. I walked 2 miles with Mai Li and Pepper in about 80 minutes. We managed to get home before the rain that has been promised us for the weekend truly arrived. We did get a few drops here and there, but it is going to show up in earnest later tonight. So much for a nice sunny holiday, but we did OK with Memorial Day and the 4th of July, so I guess you can't expect perfect weather on every holiday :grumble: Oh yes I can!!:laugh:

I had to laugh at Mai Li. After we started back to the house, she sort of faded and "ran out of gas"--parking her bones on a stretch of lawn. I gave her a few minutes recovery time and then started talking about how good little doggies have doggie food and doggie water waiting at home, and she hopped up and was ready to move on. The closer we get to home, the faster these two will move, so we finished the last 20 minutes at a pretty quick pace, even for doggies with short legs.:laugh:

Now it is time to crash as I am working at 6 am on Saturday. It is Labor Day weekend, so I am "laboring":laugh: :laugh:

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Barb

Hope everyone