Cathe Fans Part 5

Options

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I started today's workout with Pyramid Lower Body. This workout always makes my hamstrings scream. I know I will be feeling it tomorrow. For cardio, I did the Circuits and Intervals workout from Cathe's Greatest Hits DVD, which is a combo of IMAX2, Cardio and Weights and a little Supercuts as well. I really enjoy this workout.

Tami, yikes on the BC! It does sound like a blast from the past. I am definitely beyond the age where I would want to do that on concrete, that's for sure. Good job getting through it. I hope your back feels better. Like Thelma mentioned, much of my lower back pain stems from tight hamstrings so, hopefully, some stretching will work wonders. How exciting you already have your plane ticket to Portland! Something to look forward to, without a doubt.

Thelma, sounds like a horrible storm....and a worse commute. Glad you made it home safely. Cinnamon and blueberry? I like cinnamon on almost anything....but not blueberry. Interesting. My complaint about the piece of blueberry pie I had was almost the opposite.....it had no flavor. I think they were trying so hard to make the blueberries the 'hero' of the dish, the forgot they were actually making a pie and not just serving blueberries. So the crust didn't have the usual nice buttery flavor which always combines so well with the slight sweetness from fruit (and the blueberries weren't sweet enough to carry the sweetness on their own). So it was kind of like blueberries in between two layer of overly floured pastry. Not good. But here I have made my mouth water again...this time for good blueberry pie! :p

Laurie, that Plyo Fix Extreme workout sounds great! I love intervals like 30 on/30 off. I can get through anything that way. Sounds like it was effective too if you are already feeling it! My hair is too short for a ponytail too, but I just throw a headband on and that is fine. I love that it isn't on my neck at all....anytime. Don't miss that at all.

See you all tomorrow.

Laurel
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies ~ SO much better today! I could still feel it this a.m. after stretching last night and taking it easy instead of trying for Katy's class. LOL Good choice I found out, they did circuits with weights overhead and pushing plates. That would have not been happening for moi! LOL So I am headed to Spin tonight and I think by tomorrow a.m. I will be ready to go for a weight workout. At lunch I lifted a couple 40 lb dog food bags at store and it was good. I adjusted my chair at work too, that seemed to help. ;) I knew it would be temporary by the way it felt but man it was pinching yesterday. Thank you for the advice on stretching . . . I did remember a girl I play Volleyball with who has lots of back problems is constantly stretching her hamstrings; she says it helps tremendously. So I did do that last night as well.

Thelma: Way to get in the Spinning after that! Your drive home last night does not sound very fun! Sorry about the storms but I am happy to hear you made it home safe & sound . . . eventually! Yes, lots of the people were modifying on their knees and elbows; ouch on the hard & dirty concrete I was thinking. Thank you for the good ideas for my back. I did take several Ibuprofen and stretched. This a.m. was much better and now it seems pretty good. still feel it a little but not anything like yesterday.

Laurie: Great workouts yesterday! Sounds like 21DFX Plyo Fix Extreme is a really good one! Thank you on the "impressed" comments - that's funny! Yes, I was not going down to knees or elbows no matter what. But some were there the whole time, as I mentioned to Thelma. :s

Laurel: Awesome combo again today! Yes, I was thinking at the time, this is craziness! LOL Looking around the room of people, I think I am one of the "older" ones in a handful of about 5 others. So I guess that is something to be proud of. :) There was a couple of very large women who completed the entire workout; I was really happy and proud for them forsure. Jessica was super encouraging to them.

Hope you ladies have a great evening ~ I will be happy to report in tomorrow with a good back!
    (aka: I survived Spinning with no problems and a weight workout in the a.m.) :);)

Tami
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,422 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

Yesterday was 30MTF Train Like a Contender workout 2, and this morning was 21DFX Upper Fix Extreme. I'm planning on continuing with the 21DFX in the mornings, and Cathe workouts after work for a little while. Yesterday I came home, and I was all alone until DH got there. It sure was nice to be by myself for that time. :D I think that this empty nest will be nice for my workouts. :) I'm hoping to get in a workout tonight, DH wants to go to a car show after work. I think that I can still push play later.

Laurel, Great job on the workouts! The greatest hits workout sounds like fun, and a good way to get through some of those Imax exercises. PLB is a dang good lower body workout, I'm sure you are feeling a little bit of the love today. I don't like hair on my neck either, it gets to be irritating after a while. These 21DFX workouts are very good, so I'm going to incorporate them into my rotation. The upper body one surprised me, went up in weight, so I'm feeling it right now.

Tami, Glad to hear that you didn't push it with Katy's class, and that your back is feeling better. I did some stretching last night also, in fact that TLC workout has a really nice lower body stretch in it. Kelly must have known that my body needed some of that. LOL I think I would have opted for the none knee version also. Can't imagine how that concrete felt on the knees. Hope that your back issues are better today!

Have a great day!
    Laurie

• StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Boy were my legs screaming this morning from PLB yesterday. Yowza! That,combined with a sore upper body from the LIHI workouts earlier this week had me settle on a cardio-only workout today. And it was a good one. I did Intensity followed by All Out LI HiiT. Love that combo! I finished it off with a good stretch, and my legs are beginning to feel better. Hopefully I will get back to some strength training tomorrow.

Tami, so glad to hear your back is feeling better. Sounds like rest and stretching were exactly what you needed. Glad you listened to your body instead of trying that killer Katy class! Hopefully you continue to feel better today.

Laurie, great workouts! Are the 21DFX workouts you are doing from the TV Infomercial called 21 Day Fix? I saw the infomercial yesterday on our TV 'guide' (didn't watch it but saw the title) and was wondering if they were the same. They sound like such good workouts based on your descriptions that I was wondering if I should try to watch that some time. I think it is fantastic that you are enjoying them so much you want to incorporate them into this rotation. Definitely feeling the 'love' of PLB today! Crazy after all these years how sore I can still get from specific workouts.....and PLB never disappoints.

Thelma, hope you are well!

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    ThelmaSW Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, the rotation called for kickboxing workout (I forget which one) and decided to try my new KCM 30MTF Step Boxing. I LOVED IT! What a calorie burner! I liked it because the choreography was easy to follow yet I was soaked in sweat. I did it with my 12oz boxing gloves and did the Workout One & Two premix. She also has kickboxing and dumbbell drills. Ladies, I HIGHLY recommend this workout.
    http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/30-Minutes-to-Fitness-Step-Boxing-DVD-p/539.htm

I don't know what happened to my post from last night but yesterday I did Total Body Trisets Lower Body Split.
    I think I've pulled something at the top of my right thigh. It definitely feels connected to the hip flexor but it is something too at the top of thigh. My hips have been tight too so I've been doing a lot of stretching and deep massage of my thighs and buttocks. It's getting a little better.

Laurie, great workouts and good strategy on doing AM and PM workouts. I'm glad you're finding benefits to that "empty nest" thing! On the blueberry/cinnamon pie -maybe it was nutmeg! I just remember something brown sprinkled on the crust. I don't know what nutmeg tastes like. I've only used it in apple and pumpkin pie.

Laurel, great workouts! I can't believe you were so sore that opted for cardio only today! I'm starting to think the brown stuff on the blueberry pie was nutmeg. I can't remember what it tasted like except that I didn't like it. I just took one little bite. Now that you've told me about that wonderful blueberry cheesecake I want to go back to Bar Harbor just for that! LOL

Tami, great workouts! I'm so glad your back is better and that you decided to take it easy two nights ago!
    I can't imagine how much it hurts to do modified planks on concrete on my knees and elbows! OUCH!

Good night ladies!
    Thelma
  • 2BLean
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi Ladies ~ Later check in, I tried logging on at work but was having troubles. So here I am now :) Spinning last night was good, there were definitely moments I felt the "twinge" but kept going and I think the blood flowing helped. Today I opted for Cathe's circuit Burn and it had a great variety of moves; cardio/strength. I can still "feel" my back but it seems to be mostly when I am sitting for a while & then stand up, just stays tight in that area. Once I'm walking around it feels good again. Here's hoping each day continues to improve more & more ;) I appreciate yor support ladies. ;)

Thelma: I'm so happy for you that you loved that workout!!!! I know I have one or two of her Step Boxing DVDs, I don't think I have that one though, good to know its good! I always like how her choreography is never hard. LOL Great job with the Lower Body Trisets too! That is always a good one on the legs, short but sweet!

Laurie: Sounds like you have a great plan in place for your workouts! Yay - Love it when you get in a groove. I bet it will be much more Laurie time now, leaving more times for workouts, gardening, etc. that's great :)

Laurel: Nice job with the cardio day! If your legs were sore you moved that lactic acid right outta ther it sounds like with that combo! I'm sure you will be right into some strength workout(s) tomorrow. Thank you on my back, I'm really glad it's feeling better too. Never fun to be "off" where you want to be . . . No matter what kind of pain. Just frustrating!
    I put a heated rice bag last night too .... Felt great!

I will check in with you ladies tomorrow! :) Yahoo for our rotaion starting up very soon!!
    Tami
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

No workout yesterday after work, so it is good that I'm getting in my morning workouts. This morning was the 21DFX Pilates Fix Extreme which is growing on me. At first I wasn't to sure about it, but today I was finished before I knew it. I was surprised when Autumn said this is the last exercise. I looked up at the DVD player to see the 30 min. mark. :D Planning on a 30MTF workout after work.

Laurel, I know how much you like that Intensity workout, so I'm not surprised that you enjoyed your workout yesterday. ;) The 21DFX that I have is the more intense version of what is on the infomercial. She came out with this second set, so I purchased it because it was more intense. In Dec BB is coming out with Hammer & Chisel, which will be Sagi from Body Beast and Autumn from these workouts. I think that I will be getting that set also. So I will have the Hammer & Chisel to get through the ICE workouts. :o Yes I said it! I am using the containers that come with the program now, and for our rotation. It really makes you aware of what you eat. I'm not into the Shakeology though.

Thelma, Sorry that your post disappeared. Great job on the workouts. I have heard mixed reviews about that workout, but every time I look at it I think it would be a really good workout. Now I know that I will have to get it. :D I have been somewhat following her 2012 rotation, and today's workout is suppose to be that workout. I'm subbing a different workout, but now I think I would have liked to do that one. Nutmeg (when to large a portion) can be very overpowering. That may be why you didn't enjoy the pie also.

Tami, I was having problems yesterday with the site too. WTG on the workout. Hope that you are able to get a little more stretching in. Maybe get in some of that Jillian Yoga! I think you have that one right? In a way it is very strange to be by myself before DH gets home from work, gives me more time to look at all my healthy cookbooks.

Yesterday my DD was accepted to rent an apartment. She calls it a condo, but we all know it is an apartment. :D Anyway she will be moving out around the same time that our youngest starts her schooling. Life is changing pretty fast for us.

Have a great weekend!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I was still sore this morning but decided to knock that lingering DOMS out with a tough workout. So far it seems to have worked! I started with the double upper body premix from Supersets which is fast becoming a favorite upper body workout. For cardio, I started with RWH Plyo HiiT One then right into XTrain Cardio Leg Blast. That felt SO good today. Must be what I needed I suppose.

Tami, hope your back continues to improve. Based on the fact it feels better after you move a bit, I would think it is probably an irritated muscle. I would suggest keeping up with the stretches even after it feels better....just for a bit. Movement is actually good for sore backs, but impact.......not so much. So if you continue to feel the twinge, you might want to back off the impact for a bit to see if that helps as well. Just some suggestions! I was thinking about you this morning when I read an interesting article about how much we should be sitting v. moving. I know you brought this study up a few weeks ago, and this was probably the best synopsis of the study I have seen. I really don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to activity. I know, for me, the most surprising element was that strolling for 2 minutes per hour made such a difference. That is pretty easy to do actually. Anyhow, here is the article if you are interested.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/a-2-minute-walk-may-counter-the-harms-of-sitting/

Thelma, sounds like a great workout. Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a look. Sorry to hear about the sore leg though. Lower Body Trisets always makes me sore. Could it have something to do with that?

Laurie, thanks for the information on the 21DFX. I am curious about the new Hammer and Chisel series now as well! I bought DH Body Beast earlier this year (at his request), but, of course, he hasn't done it. Maybe I will try it after this rotation and that will help me decide on the new series. Body Beast does look like a good program. Again, as I say too often, so many workouts, so little time! That is exciting news about your DD. Sounds like a lot of changes though.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Laurel
  • 2BLean
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi Ladies and Happy Friday! So the back pain moved to the other side; same exact type of pain just on the other side. WEIRD. But maybe it is just continuing it's way to moving OUT! LOL After work tonight I think I will go home and do another stretch/yoga for my light workout today. Same thing, if I am sitting for a while and get up it pinches and then lets go; :( Frustrating. If I could just stay standing or walking I would feel great. LOL

Laurel: Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I am hoping that is what it is as well - just an irritated muscle. I'm feeling a little impatient that it is now day 4 :s Thank you also for the friendly reminder about impact; even though Circuit Burn is pretty low impact there are some higher impact moves and I think you are right, until it is gone doing too much pounding will probably keep it "stuck". So I will continue to remain cautious even when it goes away. I want to be good to go for our new rotation! I read that article, thanks. It does put my mind at ease. I "stroll" to the other side of our building several times day; so that is good. It takes at least 2 minutes.

Laurie: I am now very interested in that new one (H&C) you are talking about as well! Sounds like it would be great :) based off of your reviews of Autumn and I have heard great things about Body Beast. I am sure it is very odd being home alone right now for short periods of time. It sounds like you are embracing the change vs. feeling sad about it. Don't get me wrong, I am sure you miss your girls but also embrace this new time for them and you. ;) I do have Jillian's Yoga workout . . . I may opt for that one. Bob's might be a little much with those pretzel twists he has going in that one! LOL

Hi Thelma ~ Hope you had a good Friday!!

I will talk to you ladies on Monday - Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Tami
  • ThelmaSW
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I hope you had a great weekend. We had a really good one but of course too short! I'm taking next Friday off so it will be a short week for me. :)
    On Friday I did LIS Turbo Barre. I went into it with a big dread factor because I thought it was going to be really hard because I'd forgotten what it was like. I enjoyed the workout to my surprise! LOL On Saturday I did AfterBurn which is another one I hadn't done in a long time and enjoyed very much. Spinning as always on Sunday.

Laurie, I'm glad you liked your 21DFX Pilateds workout! The KCM step boxing workout I got had a funny review on totalfitnessdvd.com but it is perfect: A step workout for the choreography challenged! LOL The woman who wrote that is right on and that is the only reason Why I was able to follow it! LOL

Laurel, I'm glad the killer workout helped you with those DOMS! Good thinking!
    I don't think the Lower Body Trisets workout is what hurt my leg. I think I did it by trying to stretch my hip flexors and I think I over did it. It's much better now that I stopped doing the hip flexor stretch I was doing.
    Thanks for posting that article on the benefits of a 2 minute walk to counter the harms of sitting!
    I don't know if you'd like that KCM step boxing workout Laurel. It is perfect for the choreography challenged so I don't think it will be challenging enough for you. LOL

Tami, awesome workouts! I hope your back is doing better. Is the pain deep in your glutes? I'm asking because that was part of what was wrong with me last week when my back hurt. I have this deep massage ball and I used it work the tightness off deep inside my glutes. I gently sat on the ball and started massaging the tight glutes areas
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Density-Massage-Diameter/dp/B00B2YAD46/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1439170895&sr=8-4&keywords=massage+ball

You're right about that KCM step boxing workout being easy. I had a huge burn even though the workout didn't feel hard

Good night ladies!
    Thelma

• lvnascar
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

Had a great workout weekend! Saturday was 21DFX Lower Fix Extreme and 30MTF Split Sessions 1 (upper body). Sunday 21DFX Cardio Fix Extreme & 30MTF Trim Down Boxing Drills Premix. This morning I did 21DFX Dirty 30 Extreme, and after work I will get in the first Cathe workout of this rotation. I'm sure that Laurel and Tami will have done theirs yesterday. ;) Had a nice relaxing weekend, mostly by myself. It was nice to get the housework done.

Ladies, I was able to get my DH to eat spaghetti squash! He didn't eat a lot of it, but he ate it! I made the Shrimp Scampi recipe from myrecipe.com, and used the squash in place of the noodles. BIG hit with both DH and youngest.

Laurel, Looks like some great workouts, and of course that Superset workout. I'm looking forward to doing that one in this rotation. Thanks for the article link, think I will set an alarm on my phone. That way I can get up every hour to take a little walk. I would be very interested in your opinion of Body Beast, it is one of those systems that I have been interested in also. I'm requesting the Hammer & Chisel system for Christmas.

Tami, Hope that you where able to get that annoying pain out of your back with more stretching. LOL I do so enjoy enabling people to buy workout systems, but I will never become a BB coach. Yes I do miss my girls, but the youngest was home early on Sunday, and she help DH with a project outside. Oldest was out shopping for furniture for her new apartment. She found a leather couch and recliner at a discount store, for a very nice price.

Thelma, Great workouts this weekend! I agree with you, it was a very short weekend. Nice that you will have a short week, that makes for an enjoyable work week. Okay, now I will have to get that workout, I am in the choro challenge group. :D I was leery of the step, since I avoid workouts that have that contraption in it.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi Ladies! We enjoyed a nice, quiet weekend here. We tried golfing on Saturday only to spend 90 minutes in a shelter between the 6th and 7th holes due to unpredicted but horrific lightening and torrents of rain. I spent the time walking around in circles which amused DH to no end! But I was afraid of tightening up because the temp dropped about 20 degrees as well. We did manage to finish out that 9 holes, but decided against the back 9 as another storm was rumbling in and there was standing water everywhere. But I did manage to get my 15,000 steps in between the golf and walking the shelter! :p

Yesterday I started the new rotation. I actually started with LIHI Chest, Shoulders and Triceps, then went into the scheduled RWH Upper Body Circuit and core 1. Great combo. Today I did Great Glutes Extreme followed by To The Max.

Tami, I hope your back is feeling better! You have probably already seen it, but Cathe has an article on her latest newsletter about working out with back pain. I hope a little bit of stretching and rest have done the trick, though. I know how frustrating it can be so hang in there! This rotation will be there when you are ready if you aren't up to it yet.

Thelma, glad you enjoyed your weekend....and have a short week! That will be nice. I find as I get older that the hip flexors are becoming a very tricky and moody muscle to deal with, so you aren't alone. I have a friend about our age who is just plagued with hip flexor problems. So I hope backing off the stretches helped. I know mine want to be stretched but not too stretched! So hard finding the middle ground. Glad you liked the article.

Laurie, sounds like a great weekend of workouts. And yay for the spaghetti squash!! I am so lucky that my DH will eat just about anything. Makes it so much easier for me. But I am glad your DH and DD liked it. So much healthier. Glad the article was of some use. I found it very interesting what 2 minutes of movement could do! Makes me think more about how to use annoying commercial breaks some evenings. I am going to have a look at these Body Beast workouts over this rotation because I think they may be perfect for me this winter. Short and effective is usually what I want over the holidays and these are advertised as such. I will keep you posted.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • 2BLean
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi Ladies ~ Well I am very happy to report that I am back in action! I opted to not go to Spinning on Friday and just take it easy; I started Saturday with a nice relaxing dog walk and did more stretching, along with rolling on my foam roller, which was awkward trying to reach the "spot" but by that evening and a few Aleve later I was feeling a lot better. Yesterday I woke up and although it is not 100% gone, it was waaaay better, walking around and even the dogs walks I don't feel a thing. Decide to go ahead with the first workout of our rotation and see how I feel. I did RWH Upper Body Circuit + Core #1 and followed it with Cathe's Yoga Relax (25 min pre-mix). I was super happy with all of the above, especially making myself do the Yoga/Stretch . . . LOL and how good I felt when I was done. :) This a.m. I did Great Glutes and planning on BootCamp after work; unless I feel anything "off" later in the day . . . then I will not go. I definitely don't want to go back there. I started psyching myself out by thinking maybe it was a disc gone wrong in my back instead of muscle pain, but I think after what I described and the foam roller + Aleve and taking it easy for Friday & Saturday it really is going to be ok (I hope, I hope) ;):)
    Thank you all for your encouragement and support, seriously! I couldn't wait to report in how I was doing. DH has been gone fishing a derby until last night so he missed all of my scuffling around while I was in pain. He thinks we need a new mattress desperately, I am beginning to agree!

Thelma: Great job with the workouts! The pain is right above my butt/hip area, so if you put your hands on your hips just naturally, where your thumb would rest, on the left side, just above my hip, at the waistline. Started on the right, went to the left. I do wonder if the pain is stemmed from my hip flexors though, because raising my leg to a 90 degree or a kick outward would hurt my back. Today I am only feeling it when I sit at my desk for a while. But nothing like last week. My chair I sit in at work is hard as a rock :/ but was better than the others they had when I came so I have just always used this one. The other's are very low and not adjustable, plus HUGE. They remind me of a big leather office chair made for men.

Laurie: Great job with your workouts over the weekend and today!!! So I checked out the Hammer & Chisel workout online; not a ton of info yet but I think I am VERY interested in it. Between the two systems/two instructors it sounds really good!!!!! So those won't be out until Christmas time? Not that I don't have enough to keep me busy forever right now, but still! LOL 21-Day Fix Xtreme workouts sound amazing too from what you have said. I also read about those. What exciting times for your DD's and eventhough you miss the daily interaction, I am sure they will come by enough and/or you will talk to them to get your fix each day. :)

Laurel: Way to go on your workouts! Love the combo you put together yesterday! I was definitely wanting me when I completed the circuit, but didn't want to push it. Plus, i promised myself I would do a stretch/yoga before I was done yesterday. Your golf day sounds like it was eventful forsure! That is so funny you walked circles to "stay loose" during the lightening storm. Way to get in 15,000 steps! I have yet to log that many :/ I just read that article this a.m. I agree with what they are saying, hence still trying to push forth doing anything that isn't causing pain. I figured if something hurt, I wouldn't do it but once I as into the workout I was using my same weights as before, even on the ab section. A spasm is definitely how I would have described it to a doctor; to be fine and then have it just tighten up randomly. Yowsa. I am super happy that I am where I am now compared to last Tuesday. So really a short set-back (I hope). Thank goodness. I'm sure you can all tell that I don't do too well at being sidelined for very long. :blush::( I am going to be more aware and STRETCH my hip-flexors daily I think and really, really try to do a stretch for a workout weekly for a while. Just as Cathe's article suggested.

Hope you ladies are having a great Monday ~ I will check in tomorrow.
    (Hopefully back-pain free again! :blush: )

Tami
  • ThelmaSW
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I did XT Chest, Back and Shoulders today but I think I may have reinjured my rotator cuff again. I think the upper body work on Friday from the Barre workout and Afterburn was too much. I felt tightness all over my upper left side and this morning I woke up with the back of the neck incredibly tense. I've been massaging with my Lacrosse ball and icing too. Just know I was kneading with this massage tool all over my upper back. I'll probably all bruised tomorrow. I wanted to cry today because you all know this means a mega set back. I was feeling so good doing this rotation too. Why do I have to injure myself all the time? You'd think I'd be lifting heavy weights but the heaviest I use is 15lb for one arm rows.

Laurie, great workouts! Good job! Congrats on getting your husband to eat spaghetti squash! We love it with turkey meatballs or chicken sausages and spaghetti sauce. You know I'm also a member of the choro challenged group and this choreography is easy than Cathe's easiest step workouts!

Laurel, way to start the rotation with an awesome combo. What a scary thing to go through at the golf course! Thank God there was a shelter there. Good for you for calming down but pacing back and forth in the shelter! what tool are you using to log your steps in? My boss has a little program in his laptop that reminds him to stretch. It's funny when the reminder pops up in the middle of a meeting and then I always stretch.
    Not only is my hip flexor moody but my rotator cuffs and my feet too! I'm a walking disaster!

Tami, I'm so glad your back is doing better. Definitely stretching when your muscles are nice and warm is the way to go. You can always find good stretches in youtube.com. Good call on taking it easy on Friday and Saturday! Congrats on starting the rotation! That area where you're tight is kind of hard to massage but just keep stretching. The wrong chair at work could be contributing to you developing the back ache.I read that back article on Cathe's newsletter and of course like Laurel I immediately thought of you. Don't over stretch those hip flexors like I did!

Good night ladies!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

RWH HiiT Circuit Upper Body + Bonus Abs was fun, after the afternoon meeting that I had to go through. The 21DFX workout that I had done that morning was very similar in format, so was a good match. This morning was 21DFX Yoga Fix Extreme, and this one is growing on be too. I really enjoyed it, and the time flew by. Since I don't have the Great Glutes workout, I have decided that I will be doing Butts & Guts Overall Legs after work.

Laurel, Dang on the storm getting in the way of some good golfing, but glad to hear that you got your step count in. Great job on those workouts! I like the short workout aspect of those Body Beast workouts also, and you are right it would be good during the holidays. The system really is a good price for what you get, and I just got a bonus from work.

Tami, I'm so glad to hear that you back is feeling so much better. Great job on not doing to much, and that you got in some yoga! Like this morning when I did the 21DFX version, it really makes you aware of how tight your body can get. I'm kind of glad that the DFX has the yoga in it, at least I will be getting it done once a week. It will be interesting to see how the Hammer & Chisel will be, since Sagi doesn't have a lot of cardio in his system, and Autumn has more cardio. Will be interesting.

Thelma, I'm so sorry to hear that your body is not cooperating with what you want it to do. I'm sure that you will be able to get back on track, but you know what to do to help your body. If the choro is easier than Cathe's then it is very doable for me. :D That workout will probably be part of my bonus purchase.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I modified today's rotation workout a bit. I started with LIHI Back, Shoulders and Biceps. Then instead of doing Hard Strikes with the Heavy Bag tabatas, I started with X10 Circuit Blast then went into Hard Strikes (without the tabatas). Just not a big fan of the tabatas in that workout, so this felt better/more effective.

Tami, so happy to hear your back feels better! Glad you rested a couple of days. Great job getting in some yoga too! Where you describe your pain is where my back always hurts when I have injured it. More in the hip area than straight back, towards the waist, etc. You saying that lifting your leg while sitting in a chair is also a good indication that you strained a muscle in your back. If you had gone to a doctor, they would have had you do that! One time my back was so bad, I couldn't lift my leg at all. No fun. Anyhow, I definitely suggest stretching your hamstrings and hip flexors for awhile. Another stretch I also love for that part of my back is where you sit in a chair, put your left or right ankle on the opposite knee and lean forward. That always helps release my hips. Another one for targeting that area is to stand near a door frame, hold on to the frame about waist high and then bend at your hips and angle/lean in the opposite direction of your hands. It is a really good stretch for the entire side of your body actually.....and the arms/shoulders too! Anyhow, just some suggestions. Hope you continue to feel better.

Thelma, so sorry to hear about your rotator cuff! Hopefully all the TLC you are giving it will help. The good thing about this rotation (so far) is it isn't upper body intensive so you can still do the bulk of the rotation even with modifications if you so desire. Don't feel too down! I use my Fitbit to count my steps.

Laurie, great workouts! It sounds like the two programs (Cathe and 21DFX) are blending together nicely. That Butts and Guts premix is a great sub for Greater Glutes......just harder! :o I got the Body Beast workouts for next to nothing from Amazon.com. Too good to pass up, that's for sure.

See you all tomorrow!

Laurel
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Hi Ladies ~ Well last night's BootCamp was definitely a test of how much I could tell my back is way better. It was a substitute instructor and she did 5 stations - 6 exercise at each for 1 minute each. Everything you can think of happened in those 30 exercises! It had cardio, strength, abwork, etc. at each set of 6. Nothing bothered my back; I was hesitant with the 40 lb barbell rows but that was the only weight available in our group. everyone grabbed the others, so I was cautious but all was good. Yahoo! This a.m. I hit the snooze button :s so Hard Strikes will be tomorrow a.m. instead. I am planning on going to Katy's Insane-X class tonight. Don't worry ladies, I am not dismissing the fact that this just started feeling better. Very aware to be careful. ;)

Laurel: You are killing this rotation right out of the shoot! Way to go. Thank you so much for your words/suggestions, etc. it is really helpful. Yes, when it started last week and was on the right side, raising my leg to get into the car was not fun, even that little bit of height. So sounds like the same type of thing and you can definitely relate. The stretch in the chair is what really feels good, I know exactly what you are saying there. I will take all of these suggestions to use! Thank you.

Laurie: Awesome job to you as well! I saw that you did the 21DFX Yoga. Nice work. ;) I agree with Laurel on the substitute leg workout, that is definitely tougher than Great Glutes. LOL Sounds like you are making both programs work for your schedule and I bet it feels great! Thank you for the well wishes. Stretching. . . Stretching and more Stretching forsure for me.

Thelma: I am SO sorry to hear you are having a rotator cuff problem. :'( I have actually wanted to mention that you of all people in our group have understood set-backs & beyond!!! I am sure you are feeling frustrated and I hope so much it is temporary. As always, do what you can do and modify if need be. Thank you for your suggestions to me as well on the stretching. YouTube is where I looked for the foam roller action the other day.

Hope you ladies have a great afternoon/evening ~ I will talk to you tomorrow! :)
    Tami
  • ThelmaSW
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I did XT Legs tonight. My back was better this morning and on my way to work I stopped to get some Aleve which I've not taken since probably 2010. I took two as my first dose and will take one more before bed tonight. I don't know if this is a rotator cuff issue or simply that the back muscles went totally the t on me As the day went on I could feel my back muscles relax. I really think that something on my shoulder blade just contracted into a mega knot. Last night I really worked on that tightness and my neck muscles were not tight anymore. Today what I really felt were tender muscles from all the deep massage I did last night. Tonight when I was working out I felt things getting tight so I made sure I wasn't tensing up my back muscles. I massaged and iced after my workout and feel pretty good. I feel throbbing in the area on my shoulder blade where the knot was. Hopefully I will get better in a few days. The next upper body workout is XT bi's & tri's so I might be Ok doing it with baby weights. Cardio tomorrow.

Laurie, great job and good substitution for Great Glutes!
    I hope to be able to get back on trac with the rotation. I am feeling hopeful about my back in that it isn't a rotator cuff issue but more of tense muscles. Have you watched the video clip for the KCM Step Boxing workout? I watched that and that is what made me get it.

Laurel, great combo Laurel! I really hope I can continue doing the bulk of the rotation. I've seen a few ladies a work with fitbits. One of them uses my fitness pal, doesn't workout and uploads to MFP whatever steps she walked around the office as her exercise for the day. As far as I'm concerned those calories shouldn't not count if they didn't come from exercise. I think that if I had one of those fitbits I'd still use my heart rate monitor during workouts because I'm so hooked on it! LOL

Tami, wonderful news on your back feeling better and surviving the bootcamp workout! I believe you when you say you'll be very aware to be careful during Katy's workout because that is what is happening to me too. I'm being very aware of anything that feels like it's going to hurt my back! I'm the poster child of set-backs Tami! I just don't understand why I get hurt so easily. It really is frustrating. I hope this is just some kind of a pinched muscle.

Good night ladies!
    Thelma
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I'm new in this thread. I've become a huge Cathe fan this year and I am happy with the changes in my body.

I workout only at home/outdoors so I'm always searching for challenging workout dvd's that incorporate heavier weights and Cathe fits the bill.

As of now my favorite workouts are High Reps, Afterburn and Athletic Training (part of the Low Impact/High Intensity series), HIIT 40-20, Circuit Blast Cardio and Intensity.

I did the entire Crossfire workout last night and wow! While I'm not sore this morning (I'm in really good shape), the workout left me breathless at points and I was really working hard!

I'm hoping to add to my growing collection! :)

Have a great day everyone!

• lvnascar
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Morning Ladies,

At first I was a little scared to do the B&G workout, but I pushed play. What a great workout, and boy can you feel that in the butt. I didn't use ankle weights, because I don't like the ones I have. Still got in a great workout without them. When Great Glutes comes up again in the rotation, I will try one of the other premixes from B&G, because I just love all the exercises in that one. This morning I did 21DFX Plyo Fix Extreme, with that and my morning walk with Cami I was good to go. Only two and a half days into this rotation, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I like that I can get my Cathe fix, and Autumn fix in one day.

Cathe has all her Low Impact series on sale today, how are the yoga workouts?

Laurel, I like how you made the workout yours. I have the same feeling about the Hardstrike Tabatas. I'm opting for the Premix #12, and then doing some boxing from KCM. That way I can get my Kelly fix in too. :D I remember you telling me that GG wasn't a tough leg workout, guess I am making sure these legs of mine are tortured good.

Tami, WTG on the Bootcamp class! So happy to hear that your back didn't suffer for it. It does get hard not to hit that snooze button one to many times in the morning. I have been getting up a little earlier in the mornings, and sometimes I just don't want to. Then I remember that it is only 30 min., and I get my butt down in the basement. I should probably get the GG and Lean Legs & Abs, I still have the free shipping option from Cathe.

Thelma, Nice that you got in a lower body workout! I'm so glad to hear that it may not be what you thought at first. Not that I want you to have back issues, but hopefully it isn't as serious. I have watched that clip, and it is looking more appealing all the time. Just have to see what other workouts I want to buy with the bonus.

rainbow198, I think you have listed all the DVD's that are my favorites also. :D Well maybe not the Intensity workout, but that is a fav of others on this thread. That Crossfire workout is tough, good job on getting it done. Glad to have another Cathe fan on mfp! BTW you look awesome!

Have a wonderful day!
    Laurie