Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cathe Fans Part 5

Replies

• lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited August 6
    Morning Ladies,

Lot's of rain this morning! :o

Our last Fuel workout was completed yesterday with Day 30 Dumbbell HiiT No Repeat. I so loved this workout. When Caroline indicated that her weight was 13lbs I decided that I would use 10's. Good choice. DH and I struggled toward the end, but we got through it with a lot of sweat pouring down. DH said that he really enjoyed this series. This morning I did Travis Eliot's 20 Min Full Body Stretch for Flexibility: Limber Up Hips, Spine, Inner Thighs. Again this was a really good stretch.

Laurel, Nice weekend, but dang on the area being dry. Awesome job with those workouts! Glad to hear that you did okay with that step workout. Glad to hear that no one was injured from the building collapse. That wind/rain combo can be dangerous. I'm with you on the Burpee Girl. Previously I had seen some of her workouts come up, but there were a few that said no jumping. So the curiosity got to me, and I was surprised at how many she had that where no jumping. You may enjoy Caroline's HiiT work. They can be adjust from beginner to advanced, but the moves are not crazy. That's probably why DH is okay with them. Thanks for the info on the museum. Now I'm getting interested in touring the place.

Thelma, Great job with those workouts! We had lots of sprawls with this last workout. She included them in the finisher, so by that time we where pretty tired. So I would have loved some of the makers that you had. ;) I forgot to say yesterday that I hope you have a great time with the retreat. Interesting weather effect you had. Personally I'm feeling great with these workouts, and I've been super impressed with how well DH is doing with the workouts. I can see that he is getting better and better as we go through the workouts. In this morning's stretch with Travis, he used the yoga block in a way that I wouldn't have thought of. That is the type of information I need for getting a bit deeper in those stretches.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,868 Member
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was LIS Lower Body Trisets and a fun 60 minute spin.

Thelma, great workouts! And great job with the makers! That sounds like such a tough move. I am glad you got some rain yesterday. Your storm sounds really cool! I love being able to watch storms, and I imagine up on your hill you can get some great views of storms. Our are hidden by trees here, unfortunately.

Laurie, great workouts and congratulations on finishing the series! Your morning workout sounds perfect. I keep telling myself to try some of Caroline’s workouts, but I have been in a Cathe rut for 25 years, and I am thinking I might just be stuck. :D But with you and Thelma encouraging me, hopefully I will break out of it eventually.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    ThelmaSW Posts: 2,616 Member
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Tuesday were CG Fuel Day - 12 ANTAGONIST UPPER BODY, Yin Yoga and Walking.

This was a really good upper body workout. I was able to do a few full pushups! They were on the shallow side, but I actually went a little deeper than I usually do.

The food at the yoga retreat is all vegan, sugar and gluten free. I'm scared! I'm thinking of smuggling a couple of protein bars in my bag! LOL
    I am going to have some egg whites and my coffee with protein before I go. At least I'll have some protein in my system.

Laurie, congratulations on finishing up your second CG program. Given that you both enjoyed the Fuel and Iron programs, you would probably like the Iron/Fuel hybrid rotation! I am definitely liking the Fuel rotation better now, so I've started to rethink doing the hybrid rotation.

Great workouts. You are making me want to try some of Travis' yoga workouts!
    I am not crazy about the sprawls at all!

Thanks for your wishes about the retreat. It really should be great. We're going to have two hours to ourselves. They'll have an art table; we can use their sauna and hot tub, schedule a massage or any of the treatments they offer. People can go hiking too.

I just love reading about your DH's progress! His experience would make one of those inspiring success stories! Did he have to buy smaller clothes yet?

Laurel, great workouts! I really think you would love Caroline. Cathe always says that it's good to shock your muscles with something different from time-to-time. I think CG will give your muscles a good shock! I can't believe that I'm having DOMS again. The programs Laurie and I have been doing are six weeks long, this means 30 unique workouts. I think this is why I keep getting DOMS.

We do get a good view into the valley. I will have to pay attention to the storms whenever it rains again.

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

Our first Beastmode workout is done with Day 1 Leg Day. Both of us really liked this one. She does 4 sets of 40 on 20 off. The staple was wall sits for 90 seconds. The first set of wall sits I was able to get through, by the third one my legs where shaking. This morning I did a mini trampoline workout with a ytuber with the name Jumped & Jacked. :D

Laurel, Love the workouts! Being stuck on Cathe workouts isn't bad, that is for sure. I'm thinking that when her new series comes out I can do those as my morning workouts. I'm sure that it wouldn't be overtaxing my body. Of course I can always do premixes to start out. I think if your happy with the workouts you are doing, stay with them. Right now Caroline is working for both DH and I, but at some point I would love for DH to try some of Cathe's workouts.

Thelma, Great job with the workouts! I actually have been doing the full push ups too, but shallow like you. Still doing the triceps on my knees, but I'm able to get very low and should be able to progress to trying those on my toes. Have fun taking that two hours to experience some of the amenities at the retreat. LOL about the vegan, don't blame you for wanting to smuggle in something. DH and I may try out the Heat workouts after all. I read a little more about the series, and I think that we can do it. We at least need to try. :) Yep DH did have to purchase some new shorts, you are starting to tell that those are starting to get to big for his bod.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was LIS Athletic Training. I think I have only done this workout 4-5 times, and no times in the last decade and, boy, did I forget how tough and thorough this workout is. I was a sweaty mess at the end for sure. I am so glad it was the only workout I had planned for today because if I had another planned, it wouldn’t have happened. Even yoga. B)

Thelma, great workouts. Great job with the pushups! I love the names she has given these workouts you are doing. I would definitely eat some good protein before you go on Saturday. I have no doubt I could become a vegetarian, but vegan really is just a step too far for me. Eggs and dairy are kind of a must for me, especially if there is no meat. But it sounds like it will be a fun day.

Laurie, great workouts. Wall squats are so not my favorite thing so great job getting through a few sets of those. What you said about being in my Cathe rut is kind of my philosophy…..at least I am doing something. And at least I have different influences for cardio and yoga (Peloton), so there is a little variety there. That’s great about your DH needing new shorts. That is always such a nice feeling being able to see the differences you are making with the work. Good stuff.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Wednesday were CG Fuel Day - 13 GLUTE & HAMSTRING COMPLEX and walking. This lower body had lots RDLs and sumo squats.

Laurie, great workouts! I'm glad to hear that you're both liked your first Beastmode workout! 90 seconds of wall sits! OUCH. Caroline had us holding a body weight squat at end the end. It was hard.
    I also do the triceps pushups on my knees.

I decided not to smuggle a protein bar into the yoga retreat center. It's going to be hot and it will melt.

Are you going to try Heat after Beastmoe or are you going to drop Beastmode?
    How wonderful that your DH is already ready to buy smaller clothes again!
    Laurel, great workouts! Owesome job with that Athletic Training workout.
    I'm with you on becoming a vegan. I need my eggs and dairy!

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    edited August 8
    Morning Ladies,

Beastmode Day 2 Shoulders & Arms. Again both of us really enjoyed the workout, it was 4 sets @ 40/20. I went with 20lbs for my shoulder presses, and I made it through each set. I was at failure toward the end of the 40 sec. Another strength gain was using 12lbs for Front Raises and Lateral Raises. My shoulders have always been my weakest muscle. :) In my opinion, Caroline loves shoulder work so this may be why I'm lifting heavier than usual.
    This morning I did another Yin Yoga with Travis, this was concentrating on spine alignment. Felt great! You don't realize that some parts of your body need stretching until you concentrate on that part.

Laurel, Great job with Athletic Training! Sounds like it really did the body good, and of course you have to enjoy a workout that leaves you in a puddle. :D I don't know if I could even go vegetarian, I love my meat to much. Maybe for about a week. :D I have a niece that is vegan, and the protein she consumes is mostly processed.

Thelma, Nice job with the workouts! Our Beastmode workout for today will have the hip thrusts and RDL's, I had a peak at the description just so that DH and I are prepared with our glute bands. :D We will probably do Heat after Beastmode, both of us are enjoying the two that we have done so far. Hoping the HiiT work isn't to bad, the description sounds pretty intense. It doesn't appear that she is showing any low impact options, but I think that we can adjust. Good choice on the protein bar, it probably would melt a bit.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was LIS Cycle Max and Yoga Relax Express premix. I don’t spin very often with Cathe anymore, so the cycle workout was quite a change. Unlike Peloton, Cathe spends the bulk of her rides out of the saddle, which is much tougher on the legs and lungs. But I got through it today. And I will be happy to return to Peloton next week. :)

Thelma, great workouts. That is probably the right decision on the protein bar, even though we are supposed to cool down this weekend. The sun will still be out though.

Laurie, great workouts. That’s an awesome amount of weight for your shoulders!! If that is your weakest muscle, I can only imagine what you lift when working your strongest muscles. Great job. If I were ever going to go vegetarian, I would have to do it in phases. The first would be to drop pork and red meat. Then it would poultry. And the last would be fish. But I doubt I will ever do that. I think I am kind of at the age where I just want to enjoy what I enjoy. B)

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Thursday were walking and Tracy Steen Low Impact Cardio and Standing Abs.

Laurie, great workouts and congratulations on the heavier weights. Caroline loves shoulders and lower body work! Fuel is definitely lower body heavy.
    I'm glad you're both enjoying the Beastmode program. People on FB always say that when Caroline shows up in braids, you better be afraid of what's to come! LOL
    Speaking of hip thrusts, are you still using the balance ball? Someone on FB said that those balls could explode if the weight is too much.
    I'm sure you'll be able to direct your DH on a suitable low impact version of the HIIT workout moves.

I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian of any kind!

Laurel, great workouts and great job with the Cycle Max workout!

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

Beastmode Day 3 Hamstrings & Glutes was a good but tough workout. Lot's of Hip Thrusts and RDL's, and the staple was a Quad Thrust / Hold / Quad Thrust with the glute band. I have some DOMS going on, so I think it's probably one of the tougher workouts for this body part. This workout moved a little faster, because she did some of the moves 4 sets at 50/10 and others 4 sets at 40/20. This morning was Power Yoga "Get Up and Flow" with Travis. This next week Beastmode is two upper and one lower.

Laurel, Awesome job with the workouts. They had cycling in the Olympics yesterday. Your workout sounds tough on the legs. I surprised myself with the amount of weight I could handle for the shoulders. I told myself that I should try the weight, because I could always go down. My legs can take quite a bit of weight, but I have had to lower the amount because my knees where bothering me to much. Still can see that the lighter weights are working, just glad that I can lift fairly heavy for glute work. That doesn't bother my knees. Agree with you on the "at my age", I'm wanting to enjoy life.

Thelma, Nice workouts! DH and I where just talking about the braids last night, because he saw the braids on the HiiT workout. :D Having done the Fuel HiiT, I think that we should be able to come up with a no jumping option. When she does the high knees, I'm thinking marching with arm movements will work. I'm still using the ball. Those people are probably lifting way heavier than I do, or they didn't have a very sturdy ball. I was tempted yesterday to just do them on the floor.

Have a great weekend,
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was a 15 minute spin just to warm up the legs followed by LIS Turbo Barre. The barre workout felt much better today than I thought it would going into it. But I think I will be feeling it tomorrow.

Thelma, great workouts. I hope you have a great time this weekend at the yoga retreat and the weather cooperates.

Laurie, great workouts. I was surprised I was able to get through Turbo Barre today despite the DOMS from the spin yesterday. It actually seems to have helped them. I like what you said about lighter weights still being effective. I really have been trying to refocus my mindset away from how much I lift to how well I lift (if that makes sense). And I am enjoying my workouts more because of it…and getting every bit as much out of them.

Enjoy the weekend.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, I hope you had a nice weekend. I had an amazing time at the yoga retreat. The place was beautiful, the classes and food were amazing, too. There were 10 of us plus the two instructors. We had the retreat center all to ourselves. We did the classes at a beautiful studio. After the morning's gentle flow, we walked up to another area of the property for lunch, down time and massages. We all decided to get massages. BTW, there was tofu involved during lunch, but it was fried in a peanut sauce, so it was good. Thank God they kept the food Thai style and not Indian. I would've been in trouble then.

I got a Thai massage, which is a deep massage.
    We got little adjustments during classes, too. I had an instructor get on heroes' pose over my thighs to massage my back while I was on my belly, and I didn't even feel her weight. I don't understand how that was possible!

During my massage the instructor/masseuse stepped on my feet while I was on my tummy. That one was scary. I prayed she wouldn't break my feet! LOL. The lower body massage wasn't enjoyable because they really do deep massage and it kindda hurts. The upper body part was great, though.

By the time we got to the Yin class in the afternoon, we were all relaxed fresh from our massages and lunch. I only slept three hours Friday night, and I fell asleep in child's pose! I couldn't believe it! There was a Yoga Nidra meditation after Yin, and I definitely slept through most of that. The lady next to me was snoring, and I had to wake her up at the end of the class. LOL.
    One of the instructors manages the retreat center and she was our former instructor, so we knew her and her work. The second instructor is one of our current instructors. We love both ladies. They completely exceeded everyone's expectations.

My workouts on Friday were Yoga and walking. I skipped my Fuel workout because I had to do my Saturday chores on Friday.
    Saturday workouts were walking and two yoga classes.
    Sunday walking and CG Fuel Day - 14 Dumbbell FULL BODY TEMPO. I really liked this tempo workout. I upped my weights, which was great. I normally do high squats, suitcase style, but I managed to do a few high ones holding 17.5 lb dumbbells!

Tomorrow's Fuel workout is a Hiit burpee workout. I wasn't going to do it because it sounded dangerous to me, but I decided to preview it, and CG offers a modified version.

Laurie, great workouts! That Hams & Glutes workout sounds tough! Good job! OMG! CG is wearing braids in the Hiit workout I'm doing next! I am scared! I think this is the first time since I've been doing her workouts that I see the braids. You can totally exaggerate a march with arm movements instead of the high impact high knees. The woman who told me about the exploding balls heard it from her personal trainer, so we're talking high usage gym balls.

Laurel, great workouts!

As I mentioned above the retreat was amazing and so was the weather. It was a beautiful day. We automatically detached from the outside world the second we got there. The place is 17 minutes from my house, and it's in the middle of the forest. It was a truly special day.

I am also not focusing on lifting heavier and heavier like we've normally done with Cathe. I am trying to focus on form and feeling the move in the right place.

Have a great week!
    Thelma

• lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

We had such awesome weather, I had to put on a hoodie on Saturday! Very busy but fun weekend. On Saturday we went to a car show, and I took the Trofeo, and DH took the 442. I got a Class Winner. Of course there was only two cars on the class, but still. Sunday was my day to sew, and DH was out in the garage.

We didn't workout on Saturday, but moved our workout to Sunday. Beastmode Day 4 Full Body was a great full body weight workout. She alternated between upper and lower doing 4 sets of 40/20. This morning I did Travis Eliot's Power Yoga for Core Strength. This workout was a new one that he posted yesterday, and it was short but good. I think that I will keep doing his workouts in the morning's until we get Cathe's new ones.

Laurel, Awesome job with the workouts! Nice that the barre work was good for the legs. I do believe that I'm better off using the lighter weights for the lower body, it makes me concentrate on the move more. I'm trying to get lower on some of the moves. I don't know if I can get to the floor like Caroline does in her dead stop lunges, but I think using the lighter weights will help. Until my knees started bothering me I had that mindset that I had to up the weights, now it's what you described.

Thelma, Your retreat weekend sounds great, and I'm guessing that you will plan on doing another one if the opportunity comes along. LOL having to wake up the lady next to you. Great job with all the yoga and getting your Fuel workout in. All of the HiiT workouts in Fuel she offers low impact options. Beastmode is one of her older series, and I don't think that she thought of low impact options at that time. I still may try the floor option for those hip thrust, just to much equipment for me to deal with. 20 sec isn't enough time to get everything together. :D

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Sounds like a nice weekend all around. We had beautiful weather here with far lower humidity levels, so we spent as much time outside as we could. But, of course, we also had our share of chores and errands to get through. But it felt so nice not to be sweating every time we walked outside.

For workouts, on Saturday I finished up LIS week with Cardio Supersets and started my Perfect 30/Step Boss week with Perfect 30 Yoga Strength and Flexibility. Yesterday was P30 Upper Body with Bonus and Step Boss IMAX 4, core and chair stretch. And today was P30 Lower Body with Bonus, P30 core and a fun 30 minute spin.

Thelma, great workouts. And your retreat sounds amazing! I hope they offer something like that to you all more often because talk about perfect escapism, and so close to home for you. And even the tofu sounds good. :D I am so glad you enjoyed it.

Laurie, great workouts. And congratulations on the car award! That had to be fun. I am definitely adjusting my workout goals away from TO THE MAX ALL THE TIME to less is really better. Being an intensity junky just isn’t really smart at 59. And my body is definitely much happier with me for sure.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Monday were Hot Yinyasa Yoga, walking and Gina B Low Impact Hiit. I decided to skip the burpee workout because my pecs are tight from Sunday's workout. For once I decided to listen to my gut feeling about this burpee workout. It said it's a strong NO.

Laurie, congratulations on your win at the car show! Sounds like a great weekend!
    Great workouts!

My friends and I will definitely sign up for another yoga retreat if these ladies put another retreat together.
    I hope there isn't another crazy burpee Hiit workout in Fuel. It does take forever to set up the equipment. 20 secs is not enough time. I just hit the pause button. I think it's perfectly fine to do the glute bridges.

Laurel, I'm glad you had a nice weekend! It sure feels nice to not have to deal with humid weather!
    I just checked the drought map and miraculously we are not in drought conditions anymore! The map says we're abnormally dry. There's just a tiny area in the northwest with moderate drought conditions. Most of northern GA is abnormally dry. I don't know how this happened because it hasn't rained, but I'll take it!

I told the yoga instructor who manages the retreat center that she needs to have a cooking retreat. Her food is delicious. She told me that she's actually planning one event called yoga and dinner. I hope it's not something where she makes all the food. I want to learn how to make some of those dishes.

Great workouts! Congratulations on finishing the LIS week!

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

DH and I did Beastmode Day 5 HiiT. Let's just say that we probably will never do that one again. :D Neither of us enjoyed it, but we got through it with a lot of sweat and many adjustments. :D This morning I did Travis's Yoga for runners: Stretch, Realign, and Strengthen.

Laurel, Great job with all the workouts! Your week of workouts sounds like they will be fun. We just loved the low humidity, and right now the mornings are cool. To bad that the sun is starting to disappear earlier and earlier. I'm really glad that we where able to adjust our workout yesterday, it was way to intense. Burpees to tuck jumps just isn't for me anymore. :D I did do the burpee, but modified the tuck jump. Still was able to get a good workout in.

Thelma, Good job with your workouts. Don't blame you for skipping that HiiT workout, all those burpees probably wouldn't have been good for those sore pecs. ;) I don't remember there being a crazy burpee workout again. If I remember correctly she some of them where dumbbell hiit, those I really enjoyed. Our next HiiT workout involves dumbbells, so I'm hoping that one isn't as intense even though it says intense in the title. That would be fun to have a yoga/cooking retreat. Of course much better if you are able to cook.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! I guess I wore an appropriate shirt today to workout in because it reads ‘HiiT Happens’, and HiiT was definitely in the picture for all of us. :) I did a Perfect 30 trifecta today starting with Perfect Pump Upper Body, then High Impact HiiT and, finally, Mobility Basics. What a great workout.

Thelma, great workouts. I am glad you listened to your body and skipped all of the burpees. No need to stress your pecs or shoulders for sure. I love the sound of a yoga and food retreat but, like you, I would want to be able to participate in the cooking. We, too, have bumped back down from a drought into abnormally dry conditions despite the lack of rain. But it could be because we did get that rain a few weeks ago and the temperatures have stayed relatively cool since. I really hope this trend continues because it really is very pleasant for August right now.

Laurie, great workouts. And great job getting through the HiiT workout despite it being a ‘one and never again’ type of workout. We have had lows in the 60s for the past few days which is very rare for Alabama this time of year. What I would give for a crisp autumn morning right about now so I could open up the house. But we are miles away from that yet. I am definitely enjoying this week of workouts. Perfect 30 is so good.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Tuesday were walking, Yin, shoulder mobility, and CG Fuel Day - 16 SUPERSET QUADS. Nice quad workout but I had the toughest time setting up for Bulgarians. No matter what set up I tried to use I didn't feel like it was right. I must've done it right, though because my quads were talking to me after the workout. I had stopped doing my PT exercises, but I feel that I need to keep doing them as my PT said I should.

Laurie, great workout and good job getting through that tough Hiit workout!

I hope there won't be another burpee workout, that is just way too much. I was afraid to hurt my shoulders.

Laurel, great workouts!

I am glad I listened to my body about the burpee workout. My shoulders were my big concern.
    Thank goodness we've been bumped back down from a drought into abnormally dry conditions. Even after the rain a few weeks ago they said we were in moderate conditions. All I can think of is that it's because it hasn't been humid. We might get some rain Thursday through Saturday,
    though.

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was a Low Impact spin to warm up my legs into Step Boss PHA 3, Ab Stacker and extended floor stretch. This PHA workout is so good. I was such a sweaty mess at the end. It felt great today.

Thelma, great workouts. Bulgarian-style squats are getting harder and harder for me to feel comfortable doing, so I always modify. I think the comfort in my body is more important than anything anymore. I hope your shoulder is okay. Definitely keep doing the PT if it helps. I did my PT exercises for my frozen shoulder for about two years I think. Not all of them….just those that really focused on the area that was tight (external rotation). We are back to humid today though not very warm. We have a slim chance of storms as well over the next few days, but it is a very slim chance. What is the status of your DH’s semi-retirement? I hope his employer has been working with him on it.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Wednesday were walking and CG Fuel Day - 17 GIANT Upper Body Dumbbell.

Laurel, great workouts!

I agree with you about comfort being very important. Add to that proper form and safety. I'm not going crazy increasing my weights like I was with Cathe. Progressive overload is not my priority right now. I'm too afraid to hurt myself.

I was feeling that my shoulders were rolling forward, which told me my pecs and upper back were tight. I've been massaging with my Thera cane, but it wasn't feeling like it was enough. The PT exercises made it better. They keep me flexible.

We were humid on Tuesday. Wednesday was a lovely day. Lots of sun and a nice cool breeze. The forecast was showing chances of showers, but those chances are starting to evaporate. Our best chances now are for the weekend.

The only thing we know about DH's semi-retirement is that his boss started the process with HR. She hasn't given him an update and he hasn't asked for one either.

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma