Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cathe Fans Part 5

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,868 Member
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was Perfect 30 Lower Body and Core followed by Step Boss Step Sync.

Thelma, great workouts. I am glad the PT is helping your shoulder.

One of the reasons I did this rotation is because I felt like I was becoming too competitive with myself and the weight I was lifting in the STS programs, and I was feeling it in my joints big time. So the one program I didn’t include in this rotation was the original STS, though I did include 2.0, but only did the one body part workouts that week. I have learned a lot this summer, like lifting heavy has some positive impact on my physique but not too much and, at my age, that isn’t as important to me as it used to be. But I also learned that I much prefer my rotations to be strength focused as opposed to cardio focused (cardio being the focus of many of Cathe’s programs). So when this is over, I am going back to STS again and doing the combo rotation I imagined up last April, but this time I am not going to try to match Cathe if it just doesn’t feel good, especially in 1.0. There is no reason to. And it has me excited to try that combo rotation where is was dreading it in the spring. As long as I keep myself somewhat strong and mobile, I will be happy.

I am glad your DHs boss has at least started the process. But I can say this since I used to work HR, it will happen when it happens when HR is involved. :)

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Hope you are well. Today’s workout was Perfect 30 Upper Body into Prefect 30 Low Impact HiiT and Bonus Pyramid HiiT. It was a great way to end a really fun week of workouts. Enjoy the weekend!

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    ThelmaSW Posts: 2,616 Member
    Hi ladies! I hope you had a great weekend. We had two couples come over to see our house and meet our pets on Friday before we went out to dinner. We had a great time with them.

Bummer! I forgot to hit the Post Reply button for my Thursday update!
    My workouts on Thursday were walking and a little shoulder mobility. Thursday was dedicated to house cleaning, which didn't help my shoulder situation.
    Friday - walking and yoga.
    Saturday - walking and CG Fuel Day - 18 GLUTES & HAMSTRING CIRCUITS.
    My shoulders are back to normal. My upper back was supper tight and my pecks too. I iced my shoulders, took Aleve and massaged the life out of the knots on my upper back with my Thera cane. Thank God it worked!

We had a few raindrops on Thursday. It lasted a minute or two. We might see some showers on Saturday.
    We finally got a little rain thanks to some thunderstorm systems that went through our area. Between Friday and Saturday, we got .2" of rain. There's no rain in our 10-day forecast!

Laurel, great workouts and great workout strategy! CG always says "you do you" which I like. I do the best I can and never try to keep up with her.
    I love your new way of thinking about staying strong and mobile, that's really the way I feel, too.
    I have been feeling tired lately and I've not allowed myself the time to rest. I need to do better about that. CG's workouts are 5 times a week and that is way too much for me right now. I will try to do 4 workouts most weeks, but some weeks I will only do 3.

I hear you about HR. Things will really happen when they happen.
    DH finally got an update from his boss on Friday, and it was very disappointing. His boss doesn't know how to get the funding for a p/t position. The big issue is that by the time DH decided to retire the university had already finalized the 2025 budget. He has committed to working f/t through the June 2025. He hopes to revisit the p/t position with his boss in early 2025.
    Thankfully, DH is not in a hurry to retire.

Have a great week!
    Thelma

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,501 Member
    Morning Ladies,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm good. Got a call on Tuesday that my Dad was in ICU, and Mom wanted us all there for a meeting with the Dr. My Dad is in hospice, and has had a tracheotomy. The meeting was to confirm that my Dad's DNR was what we all wanted. He didn't want a feeding tube, but is breathing on his own.

Otherwise DH and I have not worked out. I got back very late on Thursday, and Friday I took a vacation day. We had the grandson this weekend also. Overall a very stressful week.

Have a great day ladies!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies!

Laurie, thank you for checking in. I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Don’t push yourself to do anything you don’t feel up to doing right now. I’m glad you took some time off on Friday and I hope some time with your grandson, while probably not relaxing, had moments that made you smile.

Thelma, great workouts. Thank you for posting what you did about the number of days you workout per week. I was just having a mental conversation with myself about how much is too much, how much is too little and where is the ‘just right’ spot for my workout routine. You’ve given me some very helpful perspective. I am just feeling like I am not recovering as quickly between workouts anymore no matter what I do nutritionally or with longer stretches. So my next try is fewer workouts or at least more recovery type workouts and less full on workouts. We got dumped on with rain both Friday and Saturday which made it unbearably humid this weekend. But the rain was nice, and today the air is fresher and more pleasant. I think I am ready to say goodbye to 95+ degrees temps though.

For my workouts, on Saturday I did 45 minutes of yoga. Yesterday was Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp and core. Today was Strong and Sweaty Total Body Giant Sets and a 20 minute spin. See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Monday were CG Fuel Day - 19 Dumbbell Cardio Full Body, Walking and Yoga.
    I really liked Day 19. This is the first workout that I could almost keep up with Caroline as in not needing to take longer break than what the workout provides. Caroline did some deep pushups in which she used really thin yoga blocks. My blocks are pretty thick, but I was able to do full pushups using the blocks for my hands.

Mu glutes and hamstrings are feeling Sunday's workout! OUCH!

I need to start thinking about my next program. I'm torn between the Iron/Fuel rotation or starting the Epic series. The only thing I don't like about Epic I is that the total body workouts are 1+ hour long.

Laurie, thanks for checking in. I am so sorry about your dad. You're all in my heart and prayers.
    Like Laurel, said don't worry about pushing yourself to do anything you're not up to right now. I bet your grandson was able to cheer you up.

Laurel, great workouts. I'm glad my new workout strategy has given you something to think about. I thought it was taking me longer to recover from my workouts because CGs workouts are really hard, but it's not just that, it's age too.
    I think that we need to listen to our bodies when they're telling us they need a break or we're going to get hurt. We already exercise more than most people do. It's not like we're not going to do anything on rest days. Our rest days are active rest days. I do some type of exercise 7 days a week, but my body wants a longer rest from the strength training.
    I've even been considering taking a little nap in the afternoons. I just haven't had the time to do it!

I'm so jealous about all that rain you got! The leaves are already turning and falling here and today felt like an early fall day.

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    edited August 20
    Morning Ladies,

My Dad is going to be moved into a different nursing home that is able to handle a trach. Not many places will accept patients in his condition. Apparently he is able to swallow liquids, so the hospice can't keep him there. That is about all I know right now.

Didn't work out last night, DH was picking the youngest up from O'Hare. This morning I did a 10 min rebounder workout. Tonight we will be getting back into our workouts.

Thanks for the well wishes, this will be tough for my Dad. Right now he isn't able to talk, and he will have to learn how to function with the trach. He wasn't all that happy about his situation before, and now this will be even tougher. :/

Laurel, As always great job with the workouts! Glad that your area received some rain, but that humidity is tough. Right now we are having some really nice weather, so need to take advantage of it. Dang on the body and recovery. I now realize that some of the issues that I had been dealing with was because of menopause. It's crazy what the body goes through when the estrogen isn't being produced at normal levels.

Thelma, Awesome job with your workouts! Sounds like you are in the same situation that we where in trying to decide what to do next. The one hour total body where something that I know DH isn't ready for, so we opted for Epic Heat.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was Strong and Sweaty Cycle Sweat, and I did indeed sweat. Cathe’s spins kill me. And I am headed out to mow the lawn after this, so that will be interesting. :o

Thelma, great workouts. I have started doing some of my pushups on my four inch step platform. If the pace is slower, I can still do a full push up on the floor, but at most of Cathe’s faster paces I feel it is so much safer for my shoulders with just that little elevation. Glad I am not alone in that! What you said about working out more than most is exactly what I have been saying to myself for several weeks as I try to scale back. I am still pushing play on something every day, and it would be easy not to.

Laurie, great workout this morning given everything you are going through. I hope they find a good facility for your dad. I am so sorry. I just read a report that bodies experience two massive biomolecular shifts, one in the mid-40s and one around 60, and I am feeling this one. That combined with menopause, as you state, and every day seems like a new physical adventure.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Tuesday were Walking, Yoga and CG Fuel Day - 20 MEGA BODYWEIGHT HIIT.
    This CG workout was another burpee special. I almost chickened out but decided to push through and modified when necessary. My endurance has definitely improved with the Fuel series.

Laurie, I'm sorry your dad is going to need to be transferred to another facility. Continued prayers for your dad.

Good job getting the rebounder workout in.
    I don't know if I'm ready for he 1 hour full body workouts in the Epic series either. At least there's only per week.

Laurel, great workout! I hope your lawmower cooperated with you.
    Great idea to do pushups on the step platform! I really liked doing them using the yoga blocks.
    I feel that I have to do something every day because not doing anything is not something I want to get used to. Scaling back is the key.
    Interesting finding on that study! That's probably what I'm going through. I allowed myself a nap this afternoon. I really needed it.

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma

• lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

DH and I got in our Beastmode Day 6 Back & Bicep, it was perfect to get back into working out after a week off. This morning all I did was a walk.

Laurel, Great job with those workout! Nice that you where able to enjoy that tough spin, and hopefully the lawn wasn't to bad for you to mow. ;) I have DH using the elevation for push ups, he so wants to do the full ones, and that elevation helps so much. I can totally see the information that you read is so accurate. Hate getting old. :D

Thelma, Nice job with your workout! That is what DH and I did for the HiiT, just modified when we needed to and pushed through. The first workouts I tried when I found Caroline was Epic 1, those where some tough workouts. I did find that I saw some great results from it. DH and I can probably handle longer workouts once I'm not working.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout started with Strong and Sweaty Ramped Up Upper Body and Core, and I followed it with a Cathe Live workout from a few weeks ago that I have been anxious to try. It was Cardio Mobility Mix. It started with about 15 minutes of cardio drills then went into a preview of the mobility workout from her new series (which is why I wanted to try it). I loved this workout. There was nothing outrageously new with the mobility moves, but she seems to do more blending of moves so there is simultaneous stretch and strength. She said at the end of the workout that the full mobility workout (there is a shorter bonus mobility workout as well) is very dynamic. But this sneak peak sure made my tired body feel better today which is exactly what I needed.

Thelma, great workouts. I have to do something every day, even if it is just a long walk. My body hates sitting for long periods of time and not only do I get sore when I do, I get way too tired. It is amazing how just a little movement solves the problem.

Laurie, great workout. Yes, I survived the lawn mowing. :) DH is going to be gone for several weeks coming up soon (not all at once, thankfully), so the mower and I needed to get reacquainted. :D Getting old is definitely challenging. I find it amazing that I can push through a tough 90 minute workout and then manage to develop some new ache from doing something like coming into the house and taking off my shoes. But that seems to be where I am at these days.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, Wednesday was my rest day, so I did ‪walk in the morning and in the evening.

Laurie, great job with that workout!
    I did some Epic workouts last year and I was getting results.

Laurel, great workouts! That Cathe Live workout sounds fantastic. I've watched two video clips of the new Cathe series and they look wonderful.
    I'm glad you survived the lawn mowing!

I think doing a little something every day is necessary.

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

Our workout yesterday was Beastmode Day 7 Lower Body, this one was tough. This morning was Power Yoga for Hips and Thighs with Travis.

Laurel, Love the workouts! That live workout really does sound great. For sure your description is exactly what I go through. I can get through these tough Caroline workouts, and then afterward I'm hearing pops, creaking and pain that I never had to go through before. I know that I still need to do the workouts, even with all that going on. Dang on you having to get familiar with the lawn weapon more. I still have to deal with some weeding, that will have to happen this weekend.

Thelma, Nice job getting the walking in on your active rest day. I've been watching those clips from the new vids also, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I think that they will be great for my morning routine.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was Strong and Sweaty PHA Training followed by Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam. I wasn’t planning on doing both today but DH is taking tomorrow off from work, so I wanted to finish the series in case we decide to go out of town tomorrow. But it felt good today. I really enjoyed doing these workouts again.

Thelma, sounds like a nice rest day. I agree about the video clips from Cathe. These workouts look really good so far.

Laurie, great workouts. I agree that continuing to workout is vital despite the pops, cracks, twinges and aches in the body. My oldest sister is very sedentary and, unfortunately, her body is failing much faster because of it. Breaks my heart.

If I am not in here tomorrow, I hope you both have a good weekend.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, I had a physical on Thursday. Everything went well. I ran a couple of errands while I was out, then baked DH his favorite cinnamon raisin bread. By the time my workout time came, I was exhausted and didn't feel like doing a Fuel workout. I chose to walk and did a CG standing abs workout.

Laurie, great workouts!
    I'm having to massage my thighs a lot with these CG workouts. The programs are definitely leg heavy, I think.

Those Cathe workouts will definitely be good for your morning routines and even on active rest days. I think I'll be able to do them during days when I'm too tired to do a CG workout, too.

Laurel, great workouts! I hope you and your DH have a great time if you decide to go out of town.

I'm sorry about your oldest sister's body failing her. How is your other sister going? Is she still doing chemo?

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Thelma

• lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

We finished Beastmode Day 8 Chest & Triceps. I am having some DOMS with these workout this week. May be from being off last week, but that last set is always tough. I didn't workout this morning, just felt like enjoying the morning.

We are headed out of our very cool week, and getting into some heat. Guess we will have to turn the ac back on, it sure was nice having the air flowing through the house. ;)

Laurel, Great job getting those workouts done! Enjoy your day with your DH, hope that you find something fun to do. I have noticed that with my family also. The amount of medications that some of them are taking is crazy. My youngest brother has rheumatoid arthritis so I understand his meds.

Thelma, Nice job getting in what you where able to do. Glad to hear that your physical went well, and that you where able to make that lovely bread. Has there been any word on when those workouts are headed our way. Summer is quickly ending. :D

Have a wonderful weekend,
    Laurie
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, I hope you had a great weekend. We had a nice weekend. It was busy as usual with house chores.

My workouts on Friday were CG Glutes and Hamstrings, Walking and Yoga.
    Saturday - walking
    Sunday - walking and CG Fuel - Day 21 LEG DAY CIRCUITS.

We are going to be in the low 90s all week. I am not happy about this weather.

Laurie, great workouts!

Sounds like we're going into the same type of weather!

Sorry your brother has RA. I also have RA and lupus. I am thankful my diseases are controlled, but I don't like the meds I have to take.

No word on when Cathe will start shipping the DVDs out. She just realeased the clip for DVD #4. I can't remember if there are 8 or 10 DVDs.

Have a great week!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

Weekend was very nice weather wise, until yesterday. My Dad isn't doing so good, he has started the apnea breathing. This means that he will not be going to a nursing home, but will stay in hospice.

DH and I did Beastmode Day 9 Full Body. This one had a cardio factor, so it was very metabolic. She used dumbbells, and challenged us to use fairly heavy. I managed to use 16#.

Thelma, Great job with all those workouts! Yes we are in the 90's today with high humidity. It was in the high 70's when I woke up this morning. They of course say that it will feel like triple digits, so this will be the hottest day we have had this summer. :/ My youngest brother has had melanoma also, low vitamin D was that factor. He said that the current medication that he is taking for his RA is working very well.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! DH and I had a very nice weekend away. We found a place on a lake and just spent the weekend taking walks and enjoying the days. Very nice. And, thankfully, the weather was perfect, especially on Friday and Saturday. By yesterday the heat was returning, and we are going into a very hot week with highs expected to be near 100. To echo Thelma above, I am not happy about this weather.

I didn’t do any workouts this weekend except walk. Today was the start of my Intensity series week, so I did a 20 minute spin as a warm-up followed by Pyramid Upper Body.

Thelma, great workouts. I am glad your physical went well. Thank you for asking about my sister. She has completed all of her chemo and radiation treatments and so all she has left is to finish her immunotherapy treatments, which will go through January (one shot every three weeks) and start the hormone pills that she will need to take for five years. She is getting her energy back (and her hair) and seems to be doing really well all things considered.

Laurie, nice workout. I am sorry to hear about your Dad. I will keep him in my prayers. I am also sorry you are suffering the hot weather again as well. I hope this is summer’s last burst of energy.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi ladies, my workouts on Monday were walking, Hot Yinyasa and CG Fuel Day - 22 Cluster Sets Upper Body. I really enjoyed this CG workout. She hit the shoulders and biceps very nicely. It showed me that I've gained strength and endurance. I was feeling stuck on my shoulder strength, but this workout allowed me to up my weights and I felt that I could've gone up a little more. I felt that this was my strongest upper body workout since my surgery. I am being very careful about my form, too.

I also loved the leg workout on Sunday.
    Glutes tomorrow! I've been worried about hurting my back, so I've watched a bunch of videos about proper form. I wish I had olympic size weight plates because they're huge and easy to roll the barbell over the legs. My barbell is loaded with 50# and last week I put a 10# dumbbell on my lap for a total of 60#. I'll try adding a #15 dumbbell tomorrow.

I don't know if we hit 90 degrees, but we definitely hit 89. It actually wasn't hot. It was a beautiful day. I think it's because we're now closer to fall, by 8Pm it was starting to feel a little cool thanks to a cool breeze.

Laurie, I'm sorry your dad isn't doing well.

Great job with that Beastmode workout and using a 16# dumbbell!
    Thank goodness it wasn't humid around here! DH said it was 53 degrees early Sunday morning!
    I am glad your brother is getting good results with his RA med. Thankfully, there are a few good meds out there for RA. Sorry about the melanoma, but you're using past tense, so I hope he's not dealing with that now.

Laurel sounds like a beautiful weekend for you and your DH! I'm glad you had a good time.
    Great workouts!!

I'm so glad your sister is recovering nicely from her cancer treatment!

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma