So sad with what I saw today I wanted to cry

Options

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options

You don't believe people starve?

Starvation mode and starvation are not one in the same.

They are the same thing. Starvation mode is just the early signs/process of starvation.

Actually it's not. Starvation is a medical condition in which the body is lacking enough sustenance to stay alive. A person in starvation mode could only die from the symptoms not the condition itself.

Starvation is going without enough food to fuel the body in any length of time. Starvation mode is something that may or may not occur over a long period of time.

Starvation mode causes the body to store what you do consume as fat to save for later. Starvation, the body has next to nothing to hold onto because said person is not consuming anything.

(Before you get all uppity, I said may or may not because not everyone gets adverse affects from starvation mode.)

I believe starvation mode is real but I also believe people don't understand it at all.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is greatly overused and misunderstood. All it really means is the metabolism is slowing down to compensate for fewer calories it does NOT mean one is starving. But meh, to each their own.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Also, I struggle to understand how this thread spiralled from thoughts about the overweight exercising to being a war about diets. This website is really bizarre like that, lol
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have been that woman, too. :(
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

They are the same thing. Starvation mode is just the early signs/process of starvation.

Actually it's not. Starvation is a medical condition in which the body is lacking enough sustenance to stay alive. A person in starvation mode could only die from the symptoms not the condition itself.

Starvation is going without enough food to fuel the body in any length of time. Starvation mode is something that may or may not occur over a long period of time.

Starvation mode causes the body to store what you do consume as fat to save for later. Starvation, the body has next to nothing to hold onto because said person is not consuming anything.

(Before you get all uppity, I said may or may not because not everyone gets adverse affects from starvation mode.)

I believe starvation mode is real but I also believe people don't understand it at all.

Edit: Deleted this since I don't have anything positive to say to this.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You are an idiot. That's that. I've been to multiple doctors and nutritionists who understand how the human body works.

You do not. At all.

You will see. That's that.

WOW now we are name calling, that's just awesome : ). and doctors do not all feel the same. They have different beliefs and it does not make them right, but it doesn't make them wrong. Each believe their own thing, just like us. You have faith in your doctors, that's awesome, but I have faith in mine, they just happen to believe differently than you and yours.

I appreciate you calling me names though, shows who you really are and your real motives...

This post was about this woman struggling to walk and me knowing how she feels because I was there once and I never want to go back to that person. It was about me feeling her pain, her struggle. But thanks to a few of you, you've ruined a feel good moment and a sad one, Thank you all very much.

I don't have a problem defending my actions, but I have a problem with name calling......shame, shame, shame, on you
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options

Because everything said prior to was full of positivity? Oh people are just too funny.

Feel free to look it up yourself. Also look up the chances of an obese person facing starvation mode. Learn ya something. ;)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    No matter what is said here it is obvious that the OP does not believe this to be risky behavior. There is only so much people can do to warn people of that, more power to her.

The problem is every thing seems fine right now so of course there is nothing to worry about. My friend who died with low calorie dieting took a while for it to kick in and it really only kicked in when she went back up in calories but that may have just been coincidence.

Hey maybe the OP will be the exception to the rule that most people on extremely low calorie diets dont get ill and dont gain all the weight back when they raise their calories...

Hell my doctor freaked out when I put my calories to 1510 after mfp said 2 lbs loss is that many calories, she about verbally assaulted me and made me bring it to 1700.

If you are on a low calorie diet by a doctor, it is usually Medically supervised with supplements and medication because you have a serious problem, I just have never seen a doctor put even an extremely obese person on a low low calorie diet for any long duration of time more than 3 months, they know it is just not healthy.

Good luck OP, it is obvious that the countless stories of experience here means nothing to you and what you are doing is working for you. Kinda like alcoholics/drug users... Today is not the problem they feel fine!
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Your forehead is quite shiny.
  • Rhea30
    Options

Because everything said prior to was full of positivity? Oh people are just too funny.

Feel free to look it up yourself. Also look up the chances of an obese person facing starvation mode. Learn ya something. ;)

I'm sorry, did I refer to anyone as being uppity? No.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I applaude you for your courage to post. It seems to me that people on here are more concerned with you daily calorie intake rather than the reason you posted in the first place. Your daily goal is 1,000 calories and you get close to it every day. I am a big believer in not eating back exercise cals either and what works for you works for you. I gain muscle way too fast to eat as much as some people say because I will and have gained weight eating back the cals. I have to keep it about your level and believe me, I am NOT losing muscle. Good for you coming so far! Keep up the awesome work!
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options

Your reading comprehension is lacking and that's sad.

I didn't refer to anyone as being uppity either. I said "before you get all uppity" which, if you didn't know, is not the same as calling someone uppity. It does imply that there is a possibility of becoming uppity but it's still not the same as directly calling someone uppity.
  • Rhea30
    Options

I didn't refer to anyone as being uppity either. I said "before you get all uppity" which, if you didn't know, is not the same as calling someone uppity. It does imply that there is a possibility of becoming uppity but it's still not the same as directly calling someone uppity.

Its fine, keep on with the attacks if it helps you feel better :)
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options

If you feel attacked I suggest staying away from the Internet.

I've made zero negative comments directed towards you. The fact you felt as though I called you uppity proved to me you lack reading comprehension, it's not an insult it's an observation. Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing and it generally helps prevent others from feeling attacked because they understand there is a difference between calling someone something and making the implication that they may act as such.

You on the other hand did call me uppity or more so implied I was but you deleted that.
  • Rhea30
    Options

I've made zero negative comments directed towards you. The fact you felt as though I called you uppity proved to me you lack reading comprehension, it's not an insult it's an observation. Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing and it generally helps prevent others from feeling attacked because they understand there is a difference between calling someone something and making the implication that they may act as such.

You on the other hand did call me uppity or more so implied I was but you deleted that.

Feel better?
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options

Feel better?

I love it when people think they're taking the high road even though the high road is no longer commenting.

By the way I feel great! Thanks for asking.
  • Rhea30
    Options

Feel better?

I love it when people think they're taking the high road even though the high road is no longer commenting.

By the way I feel great! Thanks for asking.

I'm happy you feel good, that's all that matters.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    I applaude you for your courage to post. It seems to me that people on here are more concerned with you daily calorie intake rather than the reason you posted in the first place. Your daily goal is 1,000 calories and you get close to it every day. I am a big believer in not eating back exercise cals either and what works for you works for you. I gain muscle way too fast to eat as much as some people say because I will and have gained weight eating back the cals. I have to keep it about your level and believe me, I am NOT losing muscle. Good for you coming so far! Keep up the awesome work!

I may eat exercise calories back once I get to a healthier BMI but right now I don't.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Why cant you people that have to post quote in quote in quote in quote in quote in quote in quote take it PM...I am getting dizzy. :D
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Why cant you people that have to post quote in quote in quote in quote in quote in quote in quote take it PM...I am getting dizzy. :D

Lol. Normally I delete to the person's last reply but that takes forever with my phone.