So sad with what I saw today I wanted to cry

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No matter what is said here it is obvious that the OP does not believe this to be risky behavior. There is only so much people can do to warn people of that, more power to her.

The problem is every thing seems fine right now so of course there is nothing to worry about. My friend who died with low calorie dieting took a while for it to kick in and it really only kicked in when she went back up in calories but that may have just been coincidence.

Hey maybe the OP will be the exception to the rule that most people on extremely low calorie diets dont get ill and dont gain all the weight back when they raise their calories...

Hell my doctor freaked out when I put my calories to 1510 after mfp said 2 lbs loss is that many calories, she about verbally assaulted me and made me bring it to 1700.

If you are on a low calorie diet by a doctor, it is usually Medically supervised with supplements and medication because you have a serious problem, I just have never seen a doctor put even an extremely obese person on a low low calorie diet for any long duration of time more than 3 months, they know it is just not healthy.

Good luck OP, it is obvious that the countless stories of experience here means nothing to you and what you are doing is working for you. Kinda like alcoholics/drug users... Today is not the problem they feel fine!

Seriously? I have my own stories that counter act all of yours. I know I've said it on here on this thread. And yet because I defend my own actions, I'm being stubborn because all of you are right, but I think I have just as many people on my side that believe we are right. What I do is RIGHT for me and what you do is RIGHT for you...again my doc says I am just fine, leave it be. And I don't have ANY medical problems YET!!!! and it's what we are trying to avoid for my future.

I'm sorry your friend died, but I have a friend who has been on 500 calories a day for 9 months and she's just fine. Different people different bodies, different all the way around. But you don't see that, you just see your side, doesn't matter I have a side also.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Sad to say...but if you suffered from years of anorexia/bulimia then it seems more likely then not that you (not OP) are the one with an unhealthy perspective about weight and weight loss in general. Your condition is controllable but it is not curable...So since you needed to expose everything that you felt was unhealthy about OP's behavior....Maybe you would like to explain (in a healthy fashion)...How exactly a "supposedly" healthy person (recovering?) from anorexia/bulimia ends up once again trying to lose weight on an internet weight loss site? People who live in glass houses should not throw stones....LIVE AND LET LIVE!

Interesting that you assume I'm here to lose weight - I'm actually not trying to lose weight. I am 5'7" and 135lbs, and I have been since 2009. Through years of therapy, I have recovered from a life with ED. You can either believe that I'm a sick, incurable individual who has no right to suggest someone might have a problem for making the same mistakes I've made in my life, or you can understand that maybe I have an inkling of an idea of what I'm talking about because I've experienced it before and am able to speak now from a more objective place.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 130.

What do you think people would say if I restricted my diet so?

It's not right, it's not healthy. It's doing a disservice to yourself and anybody you may be a rolemodel for.

I sincerely hope you don't see health reprocussions from this. :(
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Reading all this has made me really hungry. Im off home to cook me up some food.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No matter what is said here it is obvious that the OP does not believe this to be risky behavior. There is only so much people can do to warn people of that, more power to her.

The problem is every thing seems fine right now so of course there is nothing to worry about. My friend who died with low calorie dieting took a while for it to kick in and it really only kicked in when she went back up in calories but that may have just been coincidence.

Hey maybe the OP will be the exception to the rule that most people on extremely low calorie diets dont get ill and dont gain all the weight back when they raise their calories...

Hell my doctor freaked out when I put my calories to 1510 after mfp said 2 lbs loss is that many calories, she about verbally assaulted me and made me bring it to 1700.

If you are on a low calorie diet by a doctor, it is usually Medically supervised with supplements and medication because you have a serious problem, I just have never seen a doctor put even an extremely obese person on a low low calorie diet for any long duration of time more than 3 months, they know it is just not healthy.

Good luck OP, it is obvious that the countless stories of experience here means nothing to you and what you are doing is working for you. Kinda like alcoholics/drug users... Today is not the problem they feel fine!

Seriously? I have my own stories that counter act all of yours. I know I've said it on here on this thread. And yet because I defend my own actions, I'm being stubborn because all of you are right, but I think I have just as many people on my side that believe we are right. What I do is RIGHT for me and what you do is RIGHT for you...again my doc says I am just fine, leave it be. And I don't have ANY medical problems YET!!!! and it's what we are trying to avoid for my future.

I'm sorry your friend died, but I have a friend who has been on 500 calories a day for 9 months and she's just fine. Different people different bodies, different all the way around. But you don't see that, you just see your side, doesn't matter I have a side also.
    How often is your friend tested for internal organ damage?
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just agree to disagree? I mean you have your beliefs and we have ours. No one is absolutely right and no one is absolutely wrong. Do what works for you and we'll do the same.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Oh and another thing I didn't mention. A month or two after hitting my goal of 'skinny' I started having seizures. I lost weight so quickly that my body/pancreas couldn't adjust to my needed insulin levels and while waiting for the bus I had a seizure and ended up laying out on the sidewalk and being ignored because apparently people just thought I was some 'drunk passed out chick'

I have medical records to back these ramblings up. I basically got reamed by the ER doctor and then by my own (who hadn't seen me during my crash dieting) doctor.

You need to satisfy your nutritional needs (and actual needs not your perceived needs) and adjust slowly. Why does the weight have to be off THIS MOMENT? Trying to drop it all crash dieting is a temporary solution, not the needed lifestyle adjustment you need to make.

/end anecdata part 2.

You are not me...I am not you. We are different. Just because it happened to you does not by any means mean it's going to happen to me. Trust me I know what I'm doing and I'm fine. Come on doctors put people on less than this and they are freaking fine. If it was so bad for you they wouldn't do it to them. Again you had something going on with your body before you did the crash diet and I am not crash dieting.

Yeah. Cuz Doctors know EVERYTHING. And NEVER make bad judgments. I wonder why they have malpractice insurance. Mystery.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    :sad: :flowerforyou:
  • nesi0606
    nesi0606 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow.....puts things into perspective!! The importance of trying to take care of yourself before it comes to that!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Working in a Wellness Center I see it on a daily basis and it's disheartening. We have people in the gym that "whine" about being a size 10 and what these people wouldn't give to be a size 16.
    Yesterday I did a weight room orientation for a female who has gastric bypass and it was just such a struggle to get into some of the open seated machines. I had to remind her that it will be hard the first month or so, but as she gets results, it will get easier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It seems its human nature to not appreciate where you are. When I was a size 8 I still would whine about not having a flat tummy... but now I would be so happy to be there! And that is so much less to complain about when you compare it to people having a hard time walking.... that really affects their quality of life in a more serious sense.

I have lost almost 30lbs and I'm more pissed now when I look in the mirror than I was 30lbs ago. I don't think it's about not appreciating anything, I think it's motivation creeping back in where it didn't live 30lbs ago. It's my drive having been awoken. It's the dragon that breathes the fire of life through me and pushes me to BE BETTER! Things don't always have to have a negative spin, and very rarely if ever when someone is blasting themselves for not trying hard enough, does it have ANYTHING to do with ANYONE else.
    I want people to do better and encourage it. I push my clients to their limits because they really don't know what they are.
    I was just commenting on how lots of people take where they are at for granted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    Oh and another thing I didn't mention. A month or two after hitting my goal of 'skinny' I started having seizures. I lost weight so quickly that my body/pancreas couldn't adjust to my needed insulin levels and while waiting for the bus I had a seizure and ended up laying out on the sidewalk and being ignored because apparently people just thought I was some 'drunk passed out chick'

I have medical records to back these ramblings up. I basically got reamed by the ER doctor and then by my own (who hadn't seen me during my crash dieting) doctor.

You need to satisfy your nutritional needs (and actual needs not your perceived needs) and adjust slowly. Why does the weight have to be off THIS MOMENT? Trying to drop it all crash dieting is a temporary solution, not the needed lifestyle adjustment you need to make.

/end anecdata part 2.

You are not me...I am not you. We are different. Just because it happened to you does not by any means mean it's going to happen to me. Trust me I know what I'm doing and I'm fine. Come on doctors put people on less than this and they are freaking fine. If it was so bad for you they wouldn't do it to them. Again you had something going on with your body before you did the crash diet and I am not crash dieting.

Yeah. Cuz Doctors know EVERYTHING. And NEVER make bad judgments. I wonder why they have malpractice insurance. Mystery.

Exactly, but who's to say yours are right and mine is wrong? Point is I'm good with what my doc says, just as your are cool with what your doc says. Difference of opinions here and we all feel strongly in our beliefs
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Did you know studies done on starvation mode proved to have little to no affect on those who were obese?

Did you know as you slim down your metabolism slows down no matter what. This is why a fitter person has to work twice as hard to burn a significant amount of calories as opposed to their obese friends.

Did you know the body does not use just one source for fuel? It won't just stop using fat or no one would ever starve to death.

Did you know everyone's body is different?

Did you know the reason 1200 calories is recommended is because it is hard to get all the nutrients your body needs on this which is what causes complications, not the lack of calories. Anyone doing a low calorie diet should take a multivitamin, even a Flintstones chewable would suffice and they're yummy!

Did you know just because you sweat doesn't mean you're burning a ton of calories? Heart rate is key.

Did you know sometimes you hit a plateau because that's all your body is willing to give up. Generally when this happens it's time to tone.

Did you know TurboFire is awesome?

Did you know you can argue all you want but before you do you should do some research on specific types of bodies rather than assume it applies to everyone.

"Did you know that? Now you know!"
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options

Just wanted to tell you that I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. :flowerforyou:
  • tmauck4472
    Options

How often is your friend tested for internal organ damage?

She was seen weekly by her doc and I assume they are watching everything they are supposed to. She's done with that part and is now learning to maintain her weight eating normal food. As I will do
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sad to say...but if you suffered from years of anorexia/bulimia then it seems more likely then not that you (not OP) are the one with an unhealthy perspective about weight and weight loss in general. Your condition is controllable but it is not curable...So since you needed to expose everything that you felt was unhealthy about OP's behavior....Maybe you would like to explain (in a healthy fashion)...How exactly a "supposedly" healthy person (recovering?) from anorexia/bulimia ends up once again trying to lose weight on an internet weight loss site? People who live in glass houses should not throw stones....LIVE AND LET LIVE!

Interesting that you assume I'm here to lose weight - I'm actually not trying to lose weight. I am 5'7" and 135lbs, and I have been since 2009. Through years of therapy, I have recovered from a life with ED. You can either believe that I'm a sick, incurable individual who has no right to suggest someone might have a problem for making the same mistakes I've made in my life, or you can understand that maybe I have an inkling of an idea of what I'm talking about because I've experienced it before and am able to speak now from a more objective place.

Objective?...You are about as objective as a church missionary in a Pigmy camp! .

If (as you say)...you are not here on mfp to lose weight...Then why in heavens name are you trying to promote yourself as some kind of know it all guru on the subject of weight loss for other people? Like it or not...OP's personal experience is just as valid as yours (or anybody else's)....You need to learn how to RESPECT other people's opinions and decisions....If what OP is doing is a mistake...she has a perfect right to make her decision and to learn from that experience for herself...You survived your experience...she will too!.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Your forehead is quite shiny.

Yeah, I didn't quite set up my Canon DSLR to take that shot...
  • TrinaHillier
    TrinaHillier Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing 1400 calories a day and I have only been using MFP for 50 days today and some people are saying I am not eating enough, the calories are too low. I just want a kick start to get things moving. Is this a bad thing or what?

I feel for this lady you saw to day and I feel for others that are in the same situation I am there too and I want out.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Your forehead is quite shiny.

Yeah, I didn't quite set up my Canon DSLR to take that shot...

It's okay, when I use the flash I disappear.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    All i'm going to say is I watch a 3 yr old who eats about 800 or so cals a day....more on some days....and she's really skinny*like a super flat tummy and hardly any body fat* So if it works for a 3 yr old I'm sure it will work just as well for a 25 or 50 yr old:)

Megafacepalm!

The calorie requirements for a toddler and an adult - completely different. Read some research.

We need a serious Sarcasm 101 class on mfp....people are too uptight to even recognize when it is happenening

A sarcasm font would help - so hard to tell with some of the people on here what is serious and what is not. Now that I know is sarcasm *doffs hat* well played

*takes bow* thank you thank you...I'll be here all week. Well i can understand where you are coming from since so many people on here are ate up in their thinking of nutrition. Plus, I'm not very computer savvy so i don't know how to do cute sarcasm font lol
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Have fun losing weight super fast on 800 cals a day.....and have fun losing your hair and your skin luster as well....Ive been on medifast which was 800 or so cals a day, and i know tons of others who have been on either that or low cal and the first thing that goes is your hair(i'm a hairdresser, i know these things) so stock up on some wigs while you lose the weight quickly, and the fact that you think a 35 pound 3 yr old should comsume more calories than(lets assume) a 160 pound person is REDICULOUS.....