So sad with what I saw today I wanted to cry

Options

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    One time I saw a lady STRUGGLING to get into the bank. Why? Not because she was over weight.... she was but mainly because her lower stomach sagged below her knees. :( It was the craziest thing I've ever seen because it was a mix of absolute struggle + I had no idea the human body could even end up like that. I felt so bad for her. I hope that someday she will be able to have a better life.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    All i'm going to say is I watch a 3 yr old who eats about 800 or so cals a day....more on some days....and she's really skinny*like a super flat tummy and hardly any body fat* So if it works for a 3 yr old I'm sure it will work just as well for a 25 or 50 yr old:)

Megafacepalm!

The calorie requirements for a toddler and an adult - completely different. Read some research.

We need a serious Sarcasm 101 class on mfp....people are too uptight to even recognize when it is happenening

I don't always notice sarcasm. Maybe i should be written in pink. lol. You are right... if people are looking at it to be serious they won't pick up sarcasm.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    All i'm going to say is I watch a 3 yr old who eats about 800 or so cals a day....more on some days....and she's really skinny*like a super flat tummy and hardly any body fat* So if it works for a 3 yr old I'm sure it will work just as well for a 25 or 50 yr old:)

Megafacepalm!

The calorie requirements for a toddler and an adult - completely different. Read some research.

We need a serious Sarcasm 101 class on mfp....people are too uptight to even recognize when it is happenening

A sarcasm font would help - so hard to tell with some of the people on here what is serious and what is not. Now that I know is sarcasm *doffs hat* well played
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    "This is the one body I have and I do everything possible to keep it in the best of shape." Don Ameche"
  • dyskras
    dyskras Posts: 54
    Options
    Totally anecdata.

I lost around 115lbs on 700-800 a day and lots of excercise.

I now have serious intestinal issues, stomach issues, thyroid issues, along with other serious problems etc. I was healthier 'fatter' before I lost all the weight starvation mode then I was when I made it to 'skinny'

Then I gained it all back. Now I am losing it all the right way - moderation. I may not be anywhere near the 'perfect' diet - but losing it slowly while getting enough calories and adjusting to fill my nutritional needs as best as I can is how I am doing it now and it is going damn well.

I don't believe 1200 is a magic number, but I just don't wish to see someone fall apart the way I did after losing weight that way.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Totally anecdata.

I now have serious intestinal issues, stomach issues, thyroid issues, along with other serious problems etc. I was healthier 'fatter' before I lost all the weight starvation mode then I was when I made it to 'skinny'

Then I gained it all back. Now I am losing it all the right way - moderation. I may not be anywhere near the 'perfect' diet - but losing it slowly while getting enough calories and adjusting to fill my nutritional needs as best as I can is how I am doing it now and it is going damn well.

I don't believe 1200 is a magic number, but I just don't wish to see someone fall apart the way I did after losing weight that way.
    Thank you for sharing this. That took courage. I hope people can learn from your experience.
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    Totally anecdata.

Thank you for sharing this. That took courage. I hope people can learn from your experience.

I agree, thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Totally anecdata.

Her experiance and hers alone, not everyone experiances this. And I seriously doubt Starvation mode played a part in any of her issue because it's a myth. I see people every day eating less than me and have no issues like this. Everyone is different and reacts differently to things. Lost any confindence in the post as soon as Starvation mode was mentioned.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Megafacepalm!

A sarcasm font would help - so hard to tell with some of the people on here what is serious and what is not. Now that I know is sarcasm *doffs hat* well played

I find that a smiley can be quite helpful at times. :wink:
  • dyskras
    dyskras Posts: 54
    Options
    No. It's not my experience alone. Five seconds on Google or in a weight loss group and you will hear the same thing.

And multiple doctors, nutritionists, agreed what I did to my body caused the majority of my problems.

I did not criticize you but you already have an attitude with me.

I had no problems during the initial weight loss - it was after when everything started piling up on me. I am literally the voice of experience and you are going LALALALA.

You're going to do what you are going to do. I wish you all the best and hope you don't have these problems.

Thanks for the kind words from others. I just don't want people to go through what I did and still do.

Starvation mode is real. Research it. Logic dictates your body needs fuel to run.

If you choose to ignore it - well I have no doubt you will see the consequences in the end. I still wish you luck.
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    "This is the one body I have and I do everything possible to keep it in the best of shape." Don Ameche"

Which is exactly why I'm doing what I'm doing.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    No. It's not my experience alone. Five seconds on Google or in a weight loss group and you will hear the same thing.

And multiple doctors, nutritionists, agreed what I did to my body caused the majority of my problems.

I did not criticize you but you already have an attitude with me.

I had no problems during the initial weight loss - it was after when everything started piling up on me. I am literally the voice of experience and you are going LALALALA.

You're going to do what you are going to do. I wish you all the best and hope you don't have these problems.

Thanks for the kind words from others. I just don't want people to go through what I did and still do.

Starvation mode is real. Research it. Logic dictates your body needs fuel to run.

If you choose to ignore it - well I have no doubt you will see the consequences in the end. I still wish you luck.

I commend your post and your honesty. I also agree that takes a lot of bravery. It's quite unfortunate that some people refuse to listen. You're doing it the right way now!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

For the hundreth time, I DO NOT NOW NOR WLL I EVER HAVE AN ED. I don't want to be 80 lbs. I don't want even to be skinny, just smaller, and omg dare I say healthier. I will get there, at my rate with my own decisions. I have to do it my way.

anyone at any weight can have an eating disorder.
    Thank you.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Totally anecdata.

Her experiance and hers alone, not everyone experiances this. And I seriously doubt Starvation mode played a part in any of her issue because it's a myth. I see people every day eating less than me and have no issues like this. Everyone is different and reacts differently to things. Lost any confindence in the post as soon as Starvation mode was mentioned.

Am going to refrain from saying what I want to, but will say that starvation mode is a myth - starvation is not! You my girl need to see a psychologist stat.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Which is exactly why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Why are you eating such low calories? What is your reasoning behind it?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Totally anecdata.

Starvation mode isn't a myth, it's a misnomer. It just encompasses a whole host of negative symptoms from eating too little over an extended period of time; metabolic slowdown, organ damage, hair loss etc etc. The term itself is misleading but the effects of it are very, very real.
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    The OP admits that she has opened her diary in order to instigate arguments because she wants to defend her VLCD. She doesn't need you defending her.
    [/quote]

Thanks for putting words in my mouth because that is NOT what I said. Love how people are making up stories now. What I said is I keep my diary open because I don't care who sees it and can defend my decisons on how I eat should someone feel the need to comment on it. Never said a thing about instigating anything you said that. So now this thread has taken another WRONG turn by people making up lies, Sheeesh
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    Totally anecdata.

Starvation mode isn't a myth, it's a misnomer. It just encompasses a whole host of negative symptoms from eating too little over an extended period of time; metabolic slowdown, organ damage, hair loss etc etc. The term itself is misleading but the effects of it are very, very real.

Myth..you believe what you want I'll believe what I want.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a thief of life and its fullness.

Anyone making consistent efforts to change and to achieve better health and happiness is doing a great thing for themselves. :)

Amen to this!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Myth..you believe what you want I'll believe what I want.
    Right. Because nobody has ever gotten ill by eating too little, for too long.