So sad with what I saw today I wanted to cry

Options

Replies

• cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDEU4u2Dpm7NrrWoD1vTrKJL7Nx9am1W8trlhsUQaHX4B9M8qZZg

Just wanted to make that clear in case there were any misunderstandings.

If this sign was on the paths where I run I'd be F'D!

I envy your ability to just whip it out and go as you please without having to squat and wipe.

wiping's overrated

Not when you have a vagina.

Touche'
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

two things wrong with this... 1. I never used the word idiot, you did, go back and check and 2. I'm not defending her so to speak, just wondering why everyone has to be so negative about things that don't even directly affect them.

this is a message board. people state their opinions(positive and negative) on the topics at hand. like a thread on Jerry Sandusky, I would post negative things about his actions even though they dont directly affect me.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Tis true, but in those 800-1000 calories, as a bariatric patient, you need more than 80grams of protein.

I am curious about 80? Is that regardless of their size, or does it vary with how heavy they are?

Yes regardless of size - you need protein for all levels of cellular function, if you have no protein intake you risk major health problems.
  • cubizzle
    Options
    Working in a Wellness Center I see it on a daily basis and it's disheartening. We have people in the gym that "whine" about being a size 10 and what these people wouldn't give to be a size 16.
    Yesterday I did a weight room orientation for a female who has gastric bypass and it was just such a struggle to get into some of the open seated machines. I had to remind her that it will be hard the first month or so, but as she gets results, it will get easier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It seems its human nature to not appreciate where you are. When I was a size 8 I still would whine about not having a flat tummy... but now I would be so happy to be there! And that is so much less to complain about when you compare it to people having a hard time walking.... that really affects their quality of life in a more serious sense.

I have lost almost 30lbs and I'm more pissed now when I look in the mirror than I was 30lbs ago. I don't think it's about not appreciating anything, I think it's motivation creeping back in where it didn't live 30lbs ago. It's my drive having been awoken. It's the dragon that breathes the fire of life through me and pushes me to BE BETTER! Things don't always have to have a negative spin, and very rarely if ever when someone is blasting themselves for not trying hard enough, does it have ANYTHING to do with ANYONE else.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    this is a message board. people state their opinions(positive and negative) on the topics at hand.

Realizing that people have opinions on a messageboard is a lot like finding out you've been living in the Matrix :(
  • cubizzle
    Options
    this is a message board. people state their opinions(positive and negative) on the topics at hand.

Realizing that people have opinions on a messageboard is a lot like finding out you've been living in the Matrix :(

by this you mean something that happened when I was 18?
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Working in a Wellness Center I see it on a daily basis and it's disheartening. We have people in the gym that "whine" about being a size 10 and what these people wouldn't give to be a size 16.
    Yesterday I did a weight room orientation for a female who has gastric bypass and it was just such a struggle to get into some of the open seated machines. I had to remind her that it will be hard the first month or so, but as she gets results, it will get easier.

IDEA Fitness member

It seems its human nature to not appreciate where you are. When I was a size 8 I still would whine about not having a flat tummy... but now I would be so happy to be there! And that is so much less to complain about when you compare it to people having a hard time walking.... that really affects their quality of life in a more serious sense.

I have lost almost 30lbs and I'm more pissed now when I look in the mirror than I was 30lbs ago. I don't think it's about not appreciating anything, I think it's motivation creeping back in where it didn't live 30lbs ago. It's my drive having been awoken. It's the dragon that breathes the fire of life through me and pushes me to BE BETTER! Things don't always have to have a negative spin, and very rarely if ever when someone is blasting themselves for not trying hard enough, does it have ANYTHING to do with ANYONE else.

That's true, I think when I get to goal size I will still always have things I want to improve upon and without new goals, regressing is more of a risk.
  • cubizzle
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That's true, I think when I get to goal size I will still always have things I want to improve upon and without new goals, regressing is more of a risk.

Be a SHARK....If you stop moving you die!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You have a goal and you'll reach it.
    Then you'll put it all back on.
    Plus a bit more.
    Why?
    Because there's just no way in hell you'll be able to eat that little sustainably for the rest of your life.
    I'll love it if you prove me wrong.

I've heard the number 95% a few times about all dieters gaining weight back on. Certain factors like exercising regularly, tracking food intake and the like are indicators of who will be successful. I am doing those things.

The difference between who keeps it off and who does not is whether they have a commitment to improvement and lifelong health or not. Whether they let themselves "relax" when they are done.

You aren't committing to health now with the "diet plan" you are using, so that theory is bunk from the start.

You are starving yourself in an effort to be thin..and it will backfire. When - who knows...but it will. Maybe you won't gain back the weight..but I am willing to bet your body is missing out on key nutrients / minerals / vitamins that it CANNOT get by "burning your fat." THAT will do damage that you may not be able to reverse.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    ALWAYS acknowledge the person who is trying. Imagine how much courage it took for her (or for anyone who is obese) to get up and get moving.

You know what 'they' say... It takes a village.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    You have a goal and you'll reach it.
    Then you'll put it all back on.
    Plus a bit more.
    Why?
    Because there's just no way in hell you'll be able to eat that little sustainably for the rest of your life.
    I'll love it if you prove me wrong.

I've heard the number 95% a few times about all dieters gaining weight back on. Certain factors like exercising regularly, tracking food intake and the like are indicators of who will be successful. I am doing those things.

The difference between who keeps it off and who does not is whether they have a commitment to improvement and lifelong health or not. Whether they let themselves "relax" when they are done.

You aren't committing to health now with the "diet plan" you are using, so that theory is bunk from the start.

You are starving yourself in an effort to be thin..and it will backfire. When - who knows...but it will. Maybe you won't gain back the weight..but I am willing to bet your body is missing out on key nutrients / minerals / vitamins that it CANNOT get by "burning your fat." THAT will do damage that you may not be able to reverse.

Thanks, but you really don't know the whole story and haven't haven't seen my diary. There are also plenty of people on here getting more calories or carbs than I, but way less nutrition. Pretty much everything I eat right now is nutritious, not a bunch of fluff filler just for taste. I agree with some of what you are saying in general, but you don't know that much about me. I have just as good a chance as anyone to succeed... because I have a plan for the long term. I am only eating lower carb for now to get out of the morbid obesity range, perhaps partly out of the obesity range not sure. I definitely plan, to proceed to Atkins phase 2 and 3 and I am rooting for myself even if people from your perspective think I'm more likely to fail. Thanks for your opinion though.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    All i'm going to say is I watch a 3 yr old who eats about 800 or so cals a day....more on some days....and she's really skinny*like a super flat tummy and hardly any body fat* So if it works for a 3 yr old I'm sure it will work just as well for a 25 or 50 yr old:)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Don't you dare insinuate my steak isn't real! *gasp*
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    Doctors (like bariatric surgery ones) prescribe 800 calorie diets. Its okay for morbidly obese people, certain considerations taken, until they reach a more reasonable weight. And you better not forget the bacon!

Absolutely it's okay. Short term and under medical supervision. Is she doing it short term or under medical supervision?
    you don't know your story. You and a lot of other people started judging her b/c she ate 700 cal. You don't know her story/history..
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    Love your compassion!!! Thanks for sharing!!:flowerforyou:
  • ShareeMorty
    Options
    All i'm going to say is I watch a 3 yr old who eats about 800 or so cals a day....more on some days....and she's really skinny*like a super flat tummy and hardly any body fat* So if it works for a 3 yr old I'm sure it will work just as well for a 25 or 50 yr old:)

Megafacepalm!

The calorie requirements for a toddler and an adult - completely different. Read some research.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS acknowledge the person who is trying. Imagine how much courage it took for her (or for anyone who is obese) to get up and get moving.

You know what 'they' say... It takes a village.

Good idea. Good intentions. This is just not the village we hope for at times!:cry:
  • jtbroussard
    jtbroussard Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Megafacepalm!

The calorie requirements for a toddler and an adult - completely different. Read some research.

I am hoping this was not meant to be taken seriously.
  • ShareeMorty
    Options

Megafacepalm!

I am hoping this was not meant to be taken seriously.

If it was - that scares me!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Megafacepalm!

We need a serious Sarcasm 101 class on mfp....people are too uptight to even recognize when it is happenening