So sad with what I saw today I wanted to cry

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You're 25. Don't make excuses. Eat well, move your butt. You don't need to deprive yourself for this to work because you're young enough to fix it.

Eating too little leads you into a vicious cycle of needing to eat less and less in order to lose weight. Eventually you arrive at an Eating Disorder of some kind.

Thank you, but I am not making excuses. Almost everything I eat is healthy, and I exercise pretty much every day. My calories are a bit lower for now, but I am not hungry because the foods I eat do not prompt cravings. I get what you are saying, and that is something I should be aware of and take into consideration throughout my life that I try to have a healthy attitude torward food and weight loss. I very much appreciate your concern, but I am working on it. I received much less concern when I was eating 3000 cals a day.
    I'm glad you don't take it as a personal affront. That is refreshing. Two things I have to say though; firstly, you are aware that lack or absence of hunger can be indicative of a suppressed metabolism, yes? And secondly, can't you realistically just eat a bit MORE healthy foods? Dietary fats will up your calorie intake a lot; a glass of milk is fantastic for that, as well as providing a host of other nutritional benefits. Nuts are high in fats and proteins and thus calories and are fantastically healthy. Just consider what your body really does need, even if not on a calorific level, but in fat and protein, vitamins and minerals.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    That rips my heart out as well....how can people do that to themselves?
    So be it....:ohwell:
    And anybody here not eating at least 1200 calories per day in addition to exercise calories will end up just like that.
    We can lose weight on the front end just to gain it all back.
    COUNT ME OUT!

You said that to me the other day, and unless I get hit by a truck I will be glad to prove you wrong. Besides, you're using a blanket number "1200 calories" for everyone under all circumstances, and if you had read anything I said to you or on my profile you'd know it doesn't apply to me right now...

and when I post my success story at that time I'll probably be eating right around 1200-2200 depending on a number of factors. I'm getting out of morbid obesity which is more dangerous than not having that magic number(1200) for a few months.
    You're 25. Don't make excuses. Eat well, move your butt. You don't need to deprive yourself for this to work because you're young enough to fix it.

Eating too little leads you into a vicious cycle of needing to eat less and less in order to lose weight. Eventually you arrive at an Eating Disorder of some kind.

Thank you, but I am not making excuses. Almost everything I eat is healthy, and I exercise pretty much every day. My calories are a bit lower for now, but I am not hungry because the foods I eat do not prompt cravings. I get what you are saying, and that is something I should be aware of and take into consideration throughout my life that I try to have a healthy attitude torward food and weight loss. I very much appreciate your concern, but I am working on it. I received much less concern when I was eating 3000 cals a day.
    Seriously, I disagree but wish you well.
    That's where I have to leave it. And you are totally right about people not speaking up about us overeating when we're fat.
    They never do, but they all think it.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    That rips my heart out as well....how can people do that to themselves?
    So be it....:ohwell:
    And anybody here not eating at least 1200 calories per day in addition to exercise calories will end up just like that.
    We can lose weight on the front end just to gain it all back.
    COUNT ME OUT!

You said that to me the other day, and unless I get hit by a truck I will be glad to prove you wrong. Besides, you're using a blanket number "1200 calories" for everyone under all circumstances, and if you had read anything I said to you or on my profile you'd know it doesn't apply to me right now...

and when I post my success story at that time I'll probably be eating right around 1200-2200 depending on a number of factors. I'm getting out of morbid obesity which is more dangerous than not having that magic number(1200) for a few months.
    That's the number MFP sets - not me or anybody here.
    Take it up with those who created and administer this site.

Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great, you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Here's a great group right here on MFP:
    Eat More To Weigh Less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Join up and connect with other for support.
    Good Luck

I think I've read you post that exact answer elsewhere. Ironic that I said you paint with a broad brush, and you respond with more generalities. I respect MFP, but who said it is perfect or precise for everyone? I get a lot of benefit from it without using its tools precisely as designed. I did not include all the relevant details in my response to you here, but if you had read what I said to you before or on my profile before you deleted me perhaps you'd understand. It seems pretty clear however you have completely made up your mind.

I wish the best to you and I hope you die healthy and old.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    I'm confused, who is eating only 700 calories and how was this found out.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

who cares? Let people do what they feel works for them, and do what works for you. nobody asked anyone to approve their diet in this thread. If there is an issue with someones diet I am sure they have a doctor to tell them so and I am sure you are not him/her. Regardless, we are here to encourage and inspire weight loss not attack those with a different method (or opinion on whats healthy)

seriously people, lets keep our noses where they belong, on our face not in other peoples business
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Two things I have to say though; firstly, you are aware that lack or absence of hunger can be indicative of a suppressed metabolism, yes? And secondly, can't you realistically just eat a bit MORE healthy foods? Dietary fats will up your calorie intake a lot; a glass of milk is fantastic for that, as well as providing a host of other nutritional benefits. Nuts are high in fats and proteins and thus calories and are fantastically healthy. Just consider what your body really does need, even if not on a calorific level, but in fat and protein, vitamins and minerals.
    [/quote]

You sound like a Nutrionist. Well said
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a thief of life and its fullness.

Anyone making consistent efforts to change and to achieve better health and happiness is doing a great thing for themselves. :)

You're awesome! Agreed!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You eat 700 calories a day... I am sad for you too. You say this site is for support, that is true, but support doesn't mean "I will encourage you to keep doing what you're doing even if it's unhealthy".

I need to state for the record that you are posting publicly about eating 700 calories a day, I didn't dig for this information. You're not exactly keeping it private, for someone who is upset at all the negative feedback she's receiving.

Please don't be sad for me. I'm not hungry, if I am I eat. I have more energy now than I did in January when I started this new phase of my life. I exercise sometimes twice a day when before I never got out of my chair and groaned at the thought of getting up and doing the dishes or having to go out for whatever reason.

And yes I do get upset about being judged , when you don't know me or what I intend to do, down the road, when I get to a certain point I will move my calories up, am actually moving them up slowly now, because beyone popular belief I'm not stupid. And unless you want to be 85 lbs everyone knows you can't live off what I'm eating forever.

This isn't about me it's about her the woman I saw, the one struggling to walk but doing it.

Also I don't need your approval and don't support me, with people like you I can live without your support, trust me on this.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It looks like we have a new member at our gym, she's really really large.. but bless her heart, I've seen her two days last week, and she was on the treadmill for a good 30 minutes. Was she walking fast? no. But she was walking. She got off of that, and moved on to the Arc.. which is not an easy piece of equipment to use.. it took me a few months to get accustomed it. She got on it, and she didnt move fast, but she MOVED. I wanted to hug her and tell her way to go, but I never know if that's something that might offend or hurt someone's feelings.

there's a woman at my gym who I think the same thing about--she is there at the same time every week as me, walks next to a friend and does some weight machines and I always want to say something encouraging to her because I'm so impressed by her determination to get healthy...but I don't want to embarrass her.
  • roch1972
    Options
    @ironanimal - I messed up trying to quote you. Sorry about that.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This isn't about me it's about her the woman I saw, the one struggling to walk but doing it.

The statement below comprises half of your original post:
    There are so many out there saying your eating to low , your going to fail, you can't live on that, your heading toward an eating disorder...I say to you, I am fine, I have goal and I will reach it, in spite of you, but maybe just maybe because of you. I never want to go back to that person struggling to lose weight, struggling to walk down the street.

Really, this isn't about you?
  • Romans624
    Options

I'm glad you don't take it as a personal affront. That is refreshing. Two things I have to say though; firstly, you are aware that lack or absence of hunger can be indicative of a suppressed metabolism, yes? And secondly, can't you realistically just eat a bit MORE healthy foods? Dietary fats will up your calorie intake a lot; a glass of milk is fantastic for that, as well as providing a host of other nutritional benefits. Nuts are high in fats and proteins and thus calories and are fantastically healthy. Just consider what your body really does need, even if not on a calorific level, but in fat and protein, vitamins and minerals.

I have read that when starvation kicks in then people can become less hungry. I do get hungry every day several times a day and I eat. Hunger also decreases when people eat less sugar and when they consume less calories. I have done both. Also I have heard that metabolism problems do not happen as much in the morbidly obese as I am wheras when you get to normal it is a bigger problem.

You know, I actually didn't set out to have a number of calories. I started low carb/atkins and followed my hunger to decide how much to eat. Then I started logging, and I got pegged as a low calorie person. I wasn't necessarily planning on doing this for any particular length of time, I am just trying to do my best. I ate more today already than normal... and I feel over full. That's fine I guess. I know I didn't eat too much.

I agree with what you are saying about smaller items packing a big punch. Such as olive oil, nuts, fish. Those kind of items add up quick and are still healthy. I honestly just feel a little weird about all this. Here I am improving my diet by a large degree (again, no bad food for the most part right now!), being active, drinking a ton of water, and all some people can focus on is that my calories aren't quite high enough. Its like my progress doesn't even matter. I also put it on my page that I plan on following all 3 phases of atkins - and the third phase is maintenance of a high nutrient dense diet ...where every food literally brings something to the table for me. You know, not eating too many foods that do nothing for me, well maybe sometimes. The point is I do not feel bad at all and I have a plan and I am committed. I have support and a number of things that say I will succeed... including a realistic outlook on how I will have to live for life. I only said I want to get out of at least morbid obesity and then I will pretty much guarantee 1200 cals or more... anyhow, I'm sure you weren't wanting to read a book :)
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    You eat 700 calories a day... I am sad for you too.

I hate to say it but I agree with this. You need to eat more. Unless you're not recording everything.:wink:

Trust me I record everything down to the last tiny little bitty pickle
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    I hope you die healthy and old.
    :heart: that's the sweetest thing anybody ever said to me here:heart:
    WAIT A MINUTE!
    I am old......:bigsmile:
  • tmauck4472
    Options

The statement below comprises half of your original post:
    There are so many out there saying your eating to low , your going to fail, you can't live on that, your heading toward an eating disorder...I say to you, I am fine, I have goal and I will reach it, in spite of you, but maybe just maybe because of you. I never want to go back to that person struggling to lose weight, struggling to walk down the street.

Really, this isn't about you?

It's about her and me never wanting to go back to being her ever again.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    You eat 700 calories a day... I am sad for you too. You say this site is for support, that is true, but support doesn't mean "I will encourage you to keep doing what you're doing even if it's unhealthy".

I need to state for the record that you are posting publicly about eating 700 calories a day, I didn't dig for this information. You're not exactly keeping it private, for someone who is upset at all the negative feedback she's receiving.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS -- If we do not feed our bodies, poor health will result.
    I would suggest we focus less on who waddles by and more on getting our own house in order.
    I feel for others who suffer in obesity, and I also save some tears for myself where I miss the boat.

Did you know 1200 isn't some magical number that works for everyone?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, who is eating only 700 calories and how was this found out.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

who cares? Let people do what they feel works for them, and do what works for you. nobody asked anyone to approve their diet in this thread. If there is an issue with someones diet I am sure they have a doctor to tell them so and I am sure you are not him/her. Regardless, we are here to encourage and inspire weight loss not attack those with a different method (or opinion on whats healthy)

seriously people, lets keep our noses where they belong, on our face not in other peoples business

so if someone wants to try heroine to lose weight its ok because its their choice and everyone should keep quiet?

of course its not the same thing but people view these extreme diets as something that is dangerous. it would be cruel to not say anything.
  • roch1972
    Options
    You know I had a feeling you were going to say that. You sound very determined, I'll give you that. And I agree that what you eat or don't eat is none of anyone's business. What's happening here I think is that people are showing concern for you because the amount you eat sounds low. Another person who posted said that its between you and your doctor. She's absolutely correct. However, when you put yourself out there, people care and will respond with honesty.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I have read that when starvation kicks in then people can become less hungry. I do get hungry every day several times a day and I eat. Hunger also decreases when people eat less sugar and when they consume less calories. I have done both. Also I have heard that metabolism problems do not happen as much in the morbidly obese as I am wheras when you get to normal it is a bigger problem.

You know, I actually didn't set out to have a number of calories. I started low carb/atkins and followed my hunger to decide how much to eat. Then I started logging, and I got pegged as a low calorie person. I wasn't necessarily planning on doing this for any particular length of time, I am just trying to do my best. I ate more today already than normal... and I feel over full. That's fine I guess. I know I didn't eat too much.

I agree with what you are saying about smaller items packing a big punch. Such as olive oil, nuts, fish. Those kind of items add up quick and are still healthy. I honestly just feel a little weird about all this. Here I am improving my diet by a large degree (again, no bad food for the most part right now!), being active, drinking a ton of water, and all some people can focus on is that my calories aren't quite high enough. Its like my progress doesn't even matter. I also put it on my page that I plan on following all 3 phases of atkins - and the third phase is maintenance of a high nutrient dense diet ...where every food literally brings something to the table for me. You know, not eating too many foods that do nothing for me, well maybe sometimes. The point is I do not feel bad at all and I have a plan and I am committed. I have support and a number of things that say I will succeed... including a realistic outlook on how I will have to live for life. I only said I want to get out of at least morbid obesity and then I will pretty much guarantee 1200 cals or more... anyhow, I'm sure you weren't wanting to read a book :)

And yet, I read it all. Be aware that a low carb diet can create a false positive in weightloss, or at least artificially enhance your results. Low carb diets lead to glycogen depletion, which in turn prevents water being held in your muscles etc, and thus you lose a great deal of weight as a direct result of that. You probably have lost a fair chunk of fat along with it, but be prepared for the scale number to shoot up over a couple of days when you get to where you want to be and you eat a more regular amount of carbs.

The thing is people take it from one extreme to the other, and that's what worries me personally. They go from eating too much, to too little, too quickly which puts your body under a lot of stress. Coupled with the fact that most people don't concern themselves with getting the nutrition they need when they get hellbent in cutting their calories, my instinctive reaction to people on VLCDs has become fairly non-supportive.

I won't tell you what to do or not do. I will tell you I think there is a much better way of undertaking this process. Best of luck however you decide to proceed, but make youself aware of the risks and side effects of what you are doing at present.
  • Romans624
    Options
    You know I had a feeling you were going to say that. You sound very determined, I'll give you that. And I agree that what you eat or don't eat is none of anyone's business. What's happening here I think is that people are showing concern for you because the amount you eat sounds low. Another person who posted said that its between you and your doctor. She's absolutely correct. However, when you put yourself out there, people care and will respond with honesty.

HI,

Not sure whom you are addressing? :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

^^^^^^^^^
    THIS -- If we do not feed our bodies, poor health will result.
    I would suggest we focus less on who waddles by and more on getting our own house in order.
    I feel for others who suffer in obesity, and I also save some tears for myself where I miss the boat.

Did you know 1200 isn't some magical number that works for everyone?
    And did YOU know that this is MFP; it's their number?
    If you're on some other miserable system of starvation and deprivation, be my guest.
    Good Luck to you with that :drinker: