So sad with what I saw today I wanted to cry

Options

Replies

• Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm confused, who is eating only 700 calories and how was this found out.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

who cares? Let people do what they feel works for them, and do what works for you. nobody asked anyone to approve their diet in this thread. If there is an issue with someones diet I am sure they have a doctor to tell them so and I am sure you are not him/her. Regardless, we are here to encourage and inspire weight loss not attack those with a different method (or opinion on whats healthy)

seriously people, lets keep our noses where they belong, on our face not in other peoples business
    My thought exactly
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    You're 25. Don't make excuses. Eat well, move your butt. You don't need to deprive yourself for this to work because you're young enough to fix it.

Eating too little leads you into a vicious cycle of needing to eat less and less in order to lose weight. Eventually you arrive at an Eating Disorder of some kind.

Thank you, but I am not making excuses. Almost everything I eat is healthy, and I exercise pretty much every day. My calories are a bit lower for now, but I am not hungry because the foods I eat do not prompt cravings. I get what you are saying, and that is something I should be aware of and take into consideration throughout my life that I try to have a healthy attitude torward food and weight loss. I very much appreciate your concern, but I am working on it. I received much less concern when I was eating 3000 cals a day.
    I'm glad you don't take it as a personal affront. That is refreshing. Two things I have to say though; firstly, you are aware that lack or absence of hunger can be indicative of a suppressed metabolism, yes? And secondly, can't you realistically just eat a bit MORE healthy foods? Dietary fats will up your calorie intake a lot; a glass of milk is fantastic for that, as well as providing a host of other nutritional benefits. Nuts are high in fats and proteins and thus calories and are fantastically healthy. Just consider what your body really does need, even if not on a calorific level, but in fat and protein, vitamins and minerals.

I have read that when starvation kicks in then people can become less hungry. I do get hungry every day several times a day and I eat. Hunger also decreases when people eat less sugar and when they consume less calories. I have done both. Also I have heard that metabolism problems do not happen as much in the morbidly obese as I am wheras when you get to normal it is a bigger problem.

You know, I actually didn't set out to have a number of calories. I started low carb/atkins and followed my hunger to decide how much to eat. Then I started logging, and I got pegged as a low calorie person. I wasn't necessarily planning on doing this for any particular length of time, I am just trying to do my best. I ate more today already than normal... and I feel over full. That's fine I guess. I know I didn't eat too much.

I agree with what you are saying about smaller items packing a big punch. Such as olive oil, nuts, fish. Those kind of items add up quick and are still healthy. I honestly just feel a little weird about all this. Here I am improving my diet by a large degree (again, no bad food for the most part right now!), being active, drinking a ton of water, and all some people can focus on is that my calories aren't quite high enough. Its like my progress doesn't even matter. I also put it on my page that I plan on following all 3 phases of atkins - and the third phase is maintenance of a high nutrient dense diet ...where every food literally brings something to the table for me. You know, not eating too many foods that do nothing for me, well maybe sometimes. The point is I do not feel bad at all and I have a plan and I am committed. I have support and a number of things that say I will succeed... including a realistic outlook on how I will have to live for life. I only said I want to get out of at least morbid obesity and then I will pretty much guarantee 1200 cals or more... anyhow, I'm sure you weren't wanting to read a book :)

And yet, I read it all. Be aware that a low carb diet can create a false positive in weightloss, or at least artificially enhance your results. Low carb diets lead to glycogen depletion, which in turn prevents water being held in your muscles etc, and thus you lose a great deal of weight as a direct result of that. You probably have lost a fair chunk of fat along with it, but be prepared for the scale number to shoot up over a couple of days when you get to where you want to be and you eat a more regular amount of carbs.

The thing is people take it from one extreme to the other, and that's what worries me personally. They go from eating too much, to too little, too quickly which puts your body under a lot of stress. Coupled with the fact that most people don't concern themselves with getting the nutrition they need when they get hellbent in cutting their calories, my instinctive reaction to people on VLCDs has become fairly non-supportive.

I won't tell you what to do or not do. I will tell you I think there is a much better way of undertaking this process. Best of luck however you decide to proceed, but make youself aware of the risks and side effects of what you are doing at present.

Thank you again for the thoughtful response.

I read for example on livestrong, that low carb can lead to digestive issues temporarily, headaches, and tiredness. I resolve that by changing my diet a little or eating more.

You are absolutely right about the water weight. I week and two days ago I ate whatever I wanted at a bridal shower and shot up 5.5 lbs. I relost it that next week and then some. When I get down to maintenance, or at least out of obesity and start adding in carbs, I realize I may see up to a 6 lb gain if I am eating healthy but more carbs. I am OK with that. I know its water and or glycogen. I have weighed the risks and benefits of a low carb diet and for now, this is good for me. As I lose more weight, I will make many adjustments, particularly as I learn to choose foods better for their nutrition and not their taste.

My best to you, :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You eat 700 calories a day... I am sad for you too. You say this site is for support, that is true, but support doesn't mean "I will encourage you to keep doing what you're doing even if it's unhealthy".

I need to state for the record that you are posting publicly about eating 700 calories a day, I didn't dig for this information. You're not exactly keeping it private, for someone who is upset at all the negative feedback she's receiving.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS -- If we do not feed our bodies, poor health will result.
    I would suggest we focus less on who waddles by and more on getting our own house in order.
    I feel for others who suffer in obesity, and I also save some tears for myself where I miss the boat.

Dont attack anyone please. She's sharing something unrelated to that, but since you brought it up: http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-lose-276-lbs-in-one-year-by-not-eating-or-why-fasting-is-ok

http://www.ajcn.org/content/69/6/1061.full

Fasting is fine and so is an extreme deficit if done at a weight where it is necessary. If you are technically at a healthy weight, you are correct, 700 Cals is not good, but for others, its alright. So please calm down and let each person listen to their bodies.

Thank you, but they are know it alls and no one else can be right unless you agree with them. This post was about her and me never going back to being her, but they chose to make it about my diet. It's okay I'm grown I can handle it. I do this for me and not them and their approval isn't necessary for me to achieve my goal, thank goodness to cause I'd be in so much trouble if it were.

I learned really fast in here not to get so upset of what others thought because you can't please everyone and since I can't I have to please myself.

They will shoot down your websites as BS and only idiots will believe it. It is what it is.

Again thank you
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

MORE IMPORTANTLY

who cares? Let people do what they feel works for them, and do what works for you. nobody asked anyone to approve their diet in this thread. If there is an issue with someones diet I am sure they have a doctor to tell them so and I am sure you are not him/her. Regardless, we are here to encourage and inspire weight loss not attack those with a different method (or opinion on whats healthy)

seriously people, lets keep our noses where they belong, on our face not in other peoples business
    This whole thread began as somebody's nose in the business of another, so the standard was set by the OP.
    Nothing wrong with that; I agree with her totally.

Again, a public forum is not an echo chamber. If anybody wants that, start a group.
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    Romans and Lovely

I love you guys :happy: You guys seriously rock
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry....
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Romans and Lovely

Everyone who agrees with me rocks, and anyone who doesn't is an idiot who will believe whatever they want to believe

History of the Internet, Part I
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    You know I had a feeling you were going to say that. You sound very determined, I'll give you that. And I agree that what you eat or don't eat is none of anyone's business. What's happening here I think is that people are showing concern for you because the amount you eat sounds low. Another person who posted said that its between you and your doctor. She's absolutely correct. However, when you put yourself out there, people care and will respond with honesty.
    Trust me most of these people who answered negatively about the amount of calorie the OP consumed are not concerned about her. They have other motives. Most of them belong to the "eat more wt. less" group. They think what they are doing is better and that they know it all. they are like the scientology group.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Romans and Lovely

Everyone who agrees with me rocks, and anyone who doesn't is an idiot who will believe whatever they want to believe

And I think you rock! lol
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You eat 700 calories a day... I am sad for you too. You say this site is for support, that is true, but support doesn't mean "I will encourage you to keep doing what you're doing even if it's unhealthy".

I need to state for the record that you are posting publicly about eating 700 calories a day, I didn't dig for this information. You're not exactly keeping it private, for someone who is upset at all the negative feedback she's receiving.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    I would suggest we focus less on who waddles by and more on getting our own house in order.
    I feel for others who suffer in obesity, and I also save some tears for myself where I miss the boat.

Dont attack anyone please. She's sharing something unrelated to that, but since you brought it up: http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-lose-276-lbs-in-one-year-by-not-eating-or-why-fasting-is-ok

http://www.ajcn.org/content/69/6/1061.full

Fasting is fine and so is an extreme deficit if done at a weight where it is necessary. If you are technically at a healthy weight, you are correct, 700 Cals is not good, but for others, its alright. So please calm down and let each person listen to their bodies.

Thank you, but they are know it alls and no one else can be right unless you agree with them. This post was about her and me never going back to being her, but they chose to make it about my diet. It's okay I'm grown I can handle it. I do this for me and not them and their approval isn't necessary for me to achieve my goal, thank goodness to cause I'd be in so much trouble if it were.

I learned really fast in here not to get so upset of what others thought because you can't please everyone and since I can't I have to please myself.

They will shoot down your websites as BS and only idiots will believe it. It is what it is.

Again thank you
    I'm sure you're referring to me as one of 'them' which is horridbly contentious and infantile, but anyway, my contention with these two articles is that neither concerned themselves with where the weight was lost. There is a limit to how much fat you can metabolise in a day and weightloss beyond that is from water, glycogen and lean mass.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Romans and Lovely

I think she just feels unsupported in her endeavor to get healthy. Unlike other people who eat too much, and are still supported she is looked down upon for eating too little.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options

MORE IMPORTANTLY

so if someone wants to try heroine to lose weight its ok because its their choice and everyone should keep quiet?

of course its not the same thing but people view these extreme diets as something that is dangerous. it would be cruel to not say anything.

that's just a ridiculous comparison and I think you might just be arguing for arguments sake if you seriously responded to me with that... and to answer with an equally ridiculous answer yea if someone wants to be a tweak to lose weight is it any of your business, no. I'm pretty sure you don't walk up to the obviously high prostitutes on the street and tell them what they are doing is unhealthy. And do you know why, because it's their life and choice to make not yours.

back to my original point - do what works for you and stop discouraging people from doing what works for them just because you have a different point of view :drinker:
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options

Romans and Lovely

you could reread this statement to yourself
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Alright people seem to be quite confused, so I'm going to clear things up from what knowledge I have gained from numerous resources....

1) 1200 calories is the recommended number because it is difficult to get all the nutrients you need to be healthy on a lower calorie diet but 1200 isn't a magical number. Someone who is under 5'5 could get away with around 1000 calories and still be very healthy.

2) People who are obese can get away with fewer calories. It would not be sustainable once they reached a healthier BMI but until that point the percentage of muscle loss is minimal.

3) Eating carbs helps your body stay away from using muscle as an energy resource.

4) In order for your body to go into starvation mode you'd have to eat few calories for a long period of time. Eating 700 one day and 1700 other days will do you no harm. In fact it's recommended for those who are obese. It generally takes at least six weeks of a very strict diet to see a loss of lean body mass. This means eating fewer than the recommending amount for your body every day for six straight weeks. I have yet to see anyone keep this up, especially around the holidays.

5) As you lose weight your metabolism slows down, period. This is why a 300 pound person can burn 200 calories with 30 minutes of exercise while the thinner person has to work twice as hard for twice as long.

That's all I've got for now.

And just because you don't agree with someone's choices doesn't mean you have the right to be an *kitten* to them. If you don't agree with it simple remove them without criticizing them. Unless you're their physician then you have no need to tell them they're stupid, they're going to fail, etc..
  • tmauck4472
    Options
    Romans and Lovely

They don't rock because they agree with me.

They rock because they understand the true meaning of the post where you and a couple others only got lost in one part of it, and not even close to the true meaning of it.

There are a few others that get the post and for that I'm greatfull. Not to mention I have gotten several friend requests from this post because I care for people not their diary.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    you could reread this statement to yourself

I actually didn't call anyone an "idiot"... Name-calling is silly. We can agree to disagree, but we can also have an argument on the internet without being "idiots". The OP decided to use her "I'm so sad for fat people" post to talk about her low calorie diet, so why is anyone surprised that people took notice?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I get SO sad when I see an overweight individual struggling...I just want to hug em & help them get on the right path. That's how I've felt about my mother since I was young, it just makes me so sad.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^

Did you know 1200 isn't some magical number that works for everyone?
    And did YOU know that this is MFP; it's their number?
    If you're on some other miserable system of starvation and deprivation, be my guest.
    Good Luck to you with that :drinker:

I'm quite satisfied with what I have. I don't get light headed, the only thing that exhausts me is my one year old, AND I feel better than I have in quite some time.

So far I've lost a total of 56 pounds, my ticker lies, and even when I "binged" a little over the holiday I only gained two pounds of which is slowly but surely going down.

Now you can disagree with someone's choices but in no way does that give you the right to disrespect them.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I like pie.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Romans and Lovely

Let's all go out for some sea weed wrapped tofu dipped in celery juice.....:flowerforyou:
    Done here.....