Is it rude...

Options
stylistchik
stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
Not to attend a wedding gift opening party? I'm in a wedding this weekend back home (1300 miles from where I live) and I was informed yesterday that not only will I be attending bridal party/wedding festivities Friday and Saturday, but I am also invited to a wedding gift opening lunch on Sunday. I leave Monday. Is it completely rude to skip this party to spend time with my family? I only go home once a year and I don't want my time to be wasted, especially since my grandparents are pretty old. I just feel like I can't ditch my friend either because I live so far away I feel like I haven't really been a good bridesmaid for her. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Did they pay for you to travel to the wedding? Spend some time with your family. Gift opening sucks anyway...
  • nelsoji
    nelsoji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Not rude at all - some people like to "see" the person get the gifts you got them - but I would guess that will be a pretty small group of family and best friends maybe. To be honest - when I got married - I couldn't remember who was at what - its such a whirlwind that unless you are their best friend or they have specifically asked you personally to come - I doubt they will care!! They should feel honored you made it all that way for the wedding in the first place IMO!!!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    You said you are in the wedding. As in bridesmaid? I think if you weren't in the wedding, you could skip it. But if you are in the wedding party- I think you should go as much as that sucks.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    IMO - asking people to watch you open gifts is rude. Lol. I'm just do not into wedding crap. Just tell them you'd like to spend that day with your family.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You said you are in the wedding. As in bridesmaid? I think if you weren't in the wedding, you could skip it. But if you are in the wedding party- I think you should go as much as that sucks.

Agree 1 million percent.

You are in the wedding....hate it or not, you are going to have to suck it up and go this time.

Weddings are unique circumstances, in which what YOU want does not matter in the least.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think you should explain all this to your friend. If she doesn't understand, then she is not a very good friend. As far as you being a good bridesmaid, you showed up, and you travelled from far away to get there. What more could she have asked of you?
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, I was not at ALL offended by people that didn't come to mine, although I didn't even want to have one because it makes me incredibly uncomfortable to have people watch me open presents.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You're in the wedding. It is rude to not attend.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I would skip it, regardless of if im in the wedding party or not.
    Im sure she would understand and to be honest gift opening parties are so boring. I certainly wouldnt want people staring at me opening a whole bunch of gifts all the while knowing they are thinking hurry up I ain't got all day....lol
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I didn't find it rude when some of my family and friends couldn't come to the gift opening party... just tell your friend the reasoning and if she doesn't understand....
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this and hope it's not a common "tradition". I wouldn't attend.

IMO, not rude, at all. Go home to your family.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It is rude IF you didnt discuss it with the bride beforehand ..
    I would think your circumstances are unique and hope she would completely understand ....
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    A wedding gift opening party? What? Sounds like an odd tradition. If i had one of those, it would have been a pretty quick party.. I received all cards and one knife set.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A wedding gift opening party? What? Sounds like an odd tradition. If i had one of those, it would have been a pretty quick party.. I received all cards and one knife set.

I know. I would think the bride and groom would be busy the day after the wedding.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i have never heard of such a thing! That's so weird, and that is something I'd never do as part of my wedding 'festivities'.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    IMO - asking people to watch you open gifts is rude. Lol. I'm just do not into wedding crap. Just tell them you'd like to spend that day with your family.

Mhmmmm.
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this and hope it's not a common "tradition". I wouldn't attend.

IMO, not rude, at all. Go home to your family.

Never heard of it either, I've been in a handful of weddings and none of them had one. Maybe it's unique to a specific region? Very interesting.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wedding gift opening party? This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. As far as I'm concerned, once she wears the white dress down the aisle, your part is done. I say skip it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of a gift-opening party. How odd. But no, it is not rude to turn down an invitation.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of such a thing! Seriously? A luncheon to watch someone open gifts? I wouldn't go.