for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• shinybonnie
    Options
    Hi All :)

I graduated the c25k today, completing W9D3 of the program. Again, I ran indoors at our high school's track which runs above and around the basketball court. I ran 23 laps, but I don't know how many miles that equals. Probably 2.3 is my guess...

I plan to continue running 30 minutes 3x/week for the next few months and then working on my speed using the speedwork program on coolrunning.com

How is everyone else doing today?

Iplayoutside - it's cold here too, and the wind is awful! I live a few blocks from our town's highschool, so up until this week, I was walking over to the track to run. That changed on Wednesday when it was in the 20's and windy. I think it's great that you are strong enough to run in this cold. I sure didn't want to have to resort to a treadmill b/c when I've tried the treadmill, it is so awkward. So I am so grateful that the highschool has an indoor track!
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    iplay - You are the man!!!!! I am such a wuss when it comes to cold weather. :sick: Icicles in your beard!! Crazy:noway:

I have been sick with a head cold this past week and haven't run at all. I am starting to feel better today and I think I am going to hit the treadmill tonight.

Have a great weekend everyone! Happy Running!:flowerforyou:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Steph- again, good luck this weekend! I can't wait to hear about your race!

Iplay- ahhhh...the ice in the beard. I don't have a beard so I can't relate to that exactly, but I have had my snot freeze in my nose. Does that count? LOL:laugh: :ohwell:

Bonnie- Congrats on being a c25k grad!:flowerforyou:

Erin- You may find that it will actually clear up your head cold some. Running or exercise in general sometimes "flushes" things out.

As for me, no running today, although I am feeling spunky and my go out for a 2 mile easy run. Not sure though, I did a power yoga video this morning and it kicked my butt!:tongue:
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    I don't have a beard so I can't relate to that exactly, but I have had my snot freeze in my nose. Does that count? LOL:laugh: :ohwell:

As for me, no running today, although I am feeling spunky and my go out for a 2 mile easy run. Not sure though, I did a power yoga video this morning and it kicked my butt!:tongue:

frozen snot..."2 mile easy run"... ha! Ok, you are my new hero.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    iplay - great job on the run! Just remember to layer with your underlayers being synthetics. That will help you keep warm and dry in the cold.

Nicole - thanks! If you went out for a run today, I hope it was great!

Bonnie - congrats on being a C25K grad! :smile:

Well, today I lucked out. As you know, I was going to buy a pair of running shoes to better support my joints. Well, I went shopping with my aunt and we went to DSW. Well, I found a pair of rykä running shoes in my size on the clearance rack. I tried them on and they were beautifully padded, so even without the sports bra I had my aunt watch my items and ran back and forth a couple times in the store. They felt awesome. It was almost like they were propelling me forward. So, I got a normally $60 for $25 from clearance and a coupon. I was ecstatic! My race on Sunday will be with my other broken in New Balances and see how these rykäs work out for me. :smile:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Bonnie- you are too cute!!:tongue:

Steph, way to go on the shoes! I love new shoes!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

I did go out for my run and it felt awesome! My legs were tired from my run yesterday, but who cares! I had a smile on my face!:bigsmile:
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Im in the 'cant get around the block without dry heaving' phase of my running program. I am trying but it never seems to get past the 'oh god my lungs are on fire and I am going to die' stage when I run. Im ready to give up.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Im in the 'cant get around the block without dry heaving' phase of my running program. I am trying but it never seems to get past the 'oh god my lungs are on fire and I am going to die' stage when I run. Im ready to give up.

Don't give up! It is hard at first, but it will get easier! Did you ever check out the Couch to 5k program? I think the website is www.c25k.com
  • shinybonnie
    Options

gympamela, how long have you been running and what is your routine? I started the c25k 10 weeks ago, and could barely get around the block. Now I can run for 30 minutes straight. Probably more if I tried, but I don't actually like running. Lol! Through that program, I have learned so much about what works and what doesn't. It doesn't make sense to me, but a 5 minute warm up walk really does help. And stretching after you're warmed up prevents you from pulling something and getting hurt. Also, slowing your pace until you build up that endurance is very useful. The c25k is a gradual, interval-based running program that really helps build endurance. Before you give up, give c25k a try. I recommend it wholeheartedly!
  • faith1908
    Options
    I love running or jogging but my knees bother me so much. I feel like I get the best work out when I run so I need to know of some knee exercises I can do to strengthen them. I have decided to run or jog every other three days. In between times I will will use the elliptical and walk. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone, Jan, Steph, Nicolee, Bonnie...hope everyone is doing great. I've taken the time to read from beginning to end of this here thread, took me about 2 days to do it, but wanted to get to know everyone more.

I've been doing interval training similar to the c24k one but now my mp3player is acting up so Im just doing my own thing until I buy me a new one for Christmas. Im running about every other day, making sure to take day break in between. Anyway, had a great run yesterday! Actually managed to run for 5mins straight! Did intervals of 5min/3 min walk. I managed to do 3 miles in 43.23 mins, but then continued and walked an additional 1.5 miles in another 23minutes. I just felt so energized yesterday and kept on going!

You guys are great and I've enjoyed reading all your post from the beginning of this thread!

My first 5k is in February 2010.
    later this month I will sign up for a few more runs that way I have a few lined up for next year.

Talk to you later runners!

Jessica
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Faith and Jessica- welcome!

Faith- Your kness could have several things going on with them. First, do you have good running shoes? I would recommend getting a decent pair. The best place would be a running store. Second, strengthening your quadricep muscles by doing leg extensions, squats(which you may not want to do at first for the knee thing) leg curls to work your hamstrings. Third, maybe your body is acidic. My knees used to bother me too, and then I found out about the body's Ph. I can tell when I am acidic, because that's when my knees hurt! If you are interested in the ph thing, I can go into more details, just let me know.

Jessica- good for you! Keep up the running!

Darman- if you are out there, I hope your surgery went well!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the weather for tomorrow. Freezing rain and snow. i was feeling pretty good today, so I decided I'd just do tomorrows run today. You wouldn't beleive how warm 39 degrees feels after the last run.

Anyway. I'm excited because I found that elusive extra gear after mile two. I finished 5K in 34:55. My fastest time so far, and 3 minuts faster than my time yesterday. I can't wait for next Saturday to get here.

Good luck with your race tomorrow Steph.

Now it's time for 5K-to-Couch. Roll Tide! and Go Big Red.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Iplay - You're awesome!

I realized today that the season change is really messing with my food and exercise plan... I don't much like cold, or the short days and the combo is making it easy to stay home instead of hitting the gym or running outside. Sigh. I'm supposed to do my "long" run of the week this weekend. Gotta get laced up and out there tomorrow!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Yes Steph..hope your run was great today!

Jan hope your long run goes well this week. What day where you planning on doing it? Sounds like you got a good training plan going keep it up!

I myself need to get motivated so I can get to the gym sometime today. I'm "hoping" to do 8min runs/3 or 2 min walk intervals on the treadmill. Still not comfortable enough to run outside..people might see me! lol! I plan on running outside come January, hoping to drop some weight by then and my 5k is in February so that will give me a month to get used to running outside.

But right now I feel like cuddling back in bed thanks to this weather we've been having here in Texas. Its dreary out, chilly and the heater is making it nice and toasty inside!

Hope EVERYONE else is having a great day!

Jessica
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Iplay Congrats on the great time yesterday! And you are good for checking the weather and planning out the run so it could still get done...and you can sit and watch the game...I wanted Florida to win! WAH WAH!!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Nice Job Iplay!

Jan, I know what yo umean about the winter throwing everything off. I force myself to do things outside in the winter so I can get some sunshine and fresh air. I hope your long run went well today.

Jessica- that's good with the running! I can't stand running on a treadmill.

I did my 6 mile loop today and I didn't walk!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: I had the same time as when I do walk, but that's ok, I still did not walk!!!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Well, I ran a 5K today!!! I had to walk a couple times (limited myself to 30 seconds) but I finished with a time of 34:16! :smile: How cool is that!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran a 5K today!!! I had to walk a couple times (limited myself to 30 seconds) but I finished with a time of 34:16! :smile: How cool is that!

That's awesome. I'm going to have to damn near sprint the entire route next saturday to beat that time.
  • savvystephy
    Options

That's awesome. I'm going to have to damn near sprint the entire route next saturday to beat that time.

Thanks Iplay! I am not sure how I did it. :laugh: The course was pretty flat though - not many hills, maybe a slight incline. :tongue: We ran through a college campus.