for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Iplay- If you can swing to run on thurs or fri, I would , just a 2 mile SLOW run...get those muscles moving. If you cant?! It's ok...just think of it as nice rest.:tongue: I know you'll do great in the race!

Bonnie- Good idea with getting that hip checked out if it's still bothering you.

Jessica! Run on girl!!:bigsmile:

For me, today is an easy run of 2 miles. I actually have a hard time doing just an easy run. I always want to push myself faster. Does that sound weird? Right now it's 16 degrees, the high will be somwhere in the 30's. I think I will wait till a little later! Not that I haven't run in this cold before, just, if I have the option to wait I will!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Nicolee & Iplay...its 72 degrees here today, I cant imagine it being as cold as what you guys are experiencing. Currently I run inside and thanks to the podcast its okay, but I can see where its very boring too, but come january I'll start running outside. I'm just too shy at the moment for "regular" folks to be driving by looking :noway: and laughing :laugh: at me trying to run. Currently I feel comfortable in the gym with the "workout" folks :tongue: . But soon I'll play outside too!

Im actually looking forward to my run tonight! Cant wait to see how I do after amazingly running 21mins straight. I plan to time my 3 miles this time even if its a mix of walk & run. Just want to see where I'm at now that I can run longer so I have something to gauge my progress with.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    I did time myself several days ago and I did 3 miles in 43:23mins..but that was me doing 5min runs and 2min walks. Hopefully I can do the same or slightly better with a straight 21min run in there somewhere. But I realize I am running at a slow pace (4.5) so there may not be a significate change at this time. And thats okay with me.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    JUST found this topic and it fits me perfectly! I have recently started trying to run for distance, and right now I am at 3 miles with 1 minute walk breaks inbetween every 10 minute intervals. (34 minutes total)

How long did it take you guys to get past 4 or 5 miles? It seems so far off for me.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Steph, congrats on the awesome time for your race Sunday. Whooo hooooo! :drinker:

With all the rain I had a really hard time getting out last week and only ran twice, but last night I had the best run ever. It was late (8:30) and I almost didn't do it but was so glad I did. It was 25 degrees, a nice, calm night, snow softly falling. The road was snow covered, so the only sound was snow squeaking under foot. I run with a head lamp, and the combination of the TOTAL darkness (and I can't emphasise enough how very dark it is where I live, there were no stars, and no street lights), and the 5 foot beam of my headlamp made it like an out of body experience. I had no concept of where I was, or whether I was running uphill or down. I felt like I could run forever. I felt invinceable! I ran 2 miles up my hill in 21 minutes! I can't wait to do it again!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Oh my gosh TABBYDOG..thanks for sharing that...sounds awesome! Im sure all those that are also in cold weather are appreciating your viewpoint of it as well. I run on a treadmill and I imagine I'm running through a desolate country with nothing but farm land all over with dirt roads, slightly hilly...and areas with high fields....its just wonderful and relaxing to be somewhere else mentally...but Tabbydog you were actually there in your scene..pretty neat!

Cant wait to go to the Country tonight! lol
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Welcome Mavsfan! Try going for 4 miles wiht 1 minute walks inbetween. I think you will amaze yourself!

Jessica- I admire you for running on a treadmill...I can't do it! Just remember when you think that people are staring at you, YOU are running and they are probably not healthy.

Tabby, that's awesome! What a beautiful time to run! I wish I could run more in the dark. I too live on a country road with no lights. My road isn't even paved! But I find that when it's dark I run sssssssllllllloooooowwwwwww...I guess it's because I can't see that far ahead of me!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the congratulations! I know I've been a little MIA for the last couple days - you all posted a lot!

Jessica - I second what Bonnie said, if you think people are staring - YOU are running, they are sitting on their butt! :smile: When I was out one time an older woman (in her 60's, maybe) gave me the thumbs up. I thought it was adorable. :smile:

Tabby - That sounds like such an amazing run! How peaceful. I definitely want to go running while it's snowing. I love the quiet world when it is snowing.

Mavsfan - Welcome to the group! There are runners from all different groups. A few of us have just finished the Couch to 5K program and running about 3 miles. I am aiming to get up to 5 miles in about 10 weeks (using the Gateway to 8K program). So I guess by March. :tongue:

Iplay - I hope you find an indoor track. You are very inspiring for manning the cold wind and freezing hair! :)

gogoleaner - Congrats on running without stopping!

Bonnie - Good luck with your hip. I hope it starts feeling better. Where are you running? If you are running on the streets it could be the concave in the road since one foot has to farther to go to hit the ground, putting more stress on your hip. I try to alternate sides of the road (running with / against traffic) while I run to hopefully equal out the wear on my legs / hips.

Today I went for a run with my new shoes. I ran for about 2 miles before having to stop and walk the 1.5 miles back home. The shoes are actually too small, the toe box is too short. It wasn't noticeable in the store, but definitely noticeable when I was running. I am going to let my aunt try them (since she has smaller feet) for work, if that doesn't work I will pass them to my little sister. I just ordered the same shoe in a 1/2 size larger. The company is having a deal where there is free shipping, no matter the order amount, and when you buy running shoes you get a free pair of running shorts ($30 normally), so I figured - what the hay. :tongue:
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I didnt get to start my challenge yet, seems like finals week is not making anything easy on me, and now Im getting sick on top of everything else!!!!
    I have two final essays due tomorrow for my Writing class, so I dont think I will be going anywhere until tomorrow. I wish I had a treadmill at home so I could get up in the morning and run. Im going to get one in January I think.
    If I get my essays done before too late tonight I will hit the gym late, but if its too late Im going to bag it until tomorrow morning. I can get to the gym at 9am for a run on the treadmill.

Do you suggest lifting weights still while teaching your body to run? I am working towards a weight loss goal, and I dont think I will be able to get there if I stop lifting.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Do you suggest lifting weights still while teaching your body to run? I am working towards a weight loss goal, and I dont think I will be able to get there if I stop lifting.

Do both, but running (cardio) will accalerate your weight loss. Keep lifting so what's left over will look good.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Pamela, I agree with Iplay. definitely lift! When I was really running at my peak, I was also lifting and man did that help! My legs could do so much more!

Steph- Bummer that the shoes didn't fit! Thank goodness you didn't wear them for your race!

I ran an easy 2 miles today....of course it wasn't easy. I pushed myself as usual...I don't think I know the terminology back off and slow down!!! LOL:laugh: :tongue:
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Nicole - That is wore my other long distance running shoes. :tongue: Didn't want to chance running in new shoes for the race. I had my aunt try them on for work, and she liked their fit, so she gave me money for them. So no loss. :tongue:

Good job on the 2 miles! Keep up the great work, Nicole. You are so inspiring. :smile:

Pamela - I definitely agree with Iplay and Nicole. Lifting and running would be a great balance to lose inches and pounds. :smile:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Another run in the dark, although the stars were out and it was only 7:30 so it wasn't as dark as yesterday. It was about 10 degrees, went 1.5 miles, plus my warm up and cool down. It was clear and COLD. Snot crystals in the nose are slightly painful I found.... LOL :laugh:

I was telling myself I wouldn't push it in the cold for distance, but today I discovered that I think I could do it. Need to remember to bring the cell phone though.... I have been practicing the nose breathing, and I have never run in temps this cold without feeling like I was having an asthma attack. Works awesome! (Except for the painful crystals)! :happy: Also need to find the temp at which the dog needs her booties and jacket. I don't want her to freeze her feet. She seemed fine tonight, in fact, she loved it. Each time it gets colder I will probably go short until I find her threshold. I also expect that I will find a temp at which we both say to heck with it! Below zero? It remains to be seen.... :huh:

I really, really love running in the dark. And the cold. It makes me feel like nothing can get me down! As much as I hate the cold and winter, who knew????? :ohwell:
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Another run in the dark, although the stars were out and it was only 7:30 so it wasn't as dark as yesterday. It was about 10 degrees, went 1.5 miles, plus my warm up and cool down. It was clear and COLD. Snot crystals in the nose are slightly painful I found.... LOL :laugh:

I was telling myself I wouldn't push it in the cold for distance, but today I discovered that I think I could do it. Need to remember to bring the cell phone though.... I have been practicing the nose breathing, and I have never run in temps this cold without feeling like I was having an asthma attack. Works awesome! (Except for the painful crystals)! :happy: Also need to find the temp at which the dog needs her booties and jacket. I don't want her to freeze her feet. She seemed fine tonight, in fact, she loved it. Each time it gets colder I will probably go short until I find her threshold. I also expect that I will find a temp at which we both say to heck with it! Below zero? It remains to be seen.... :huh:

I really, really love running in the dark. And the cold. It makes me feel like nothing can get me down! As much as I hate the cold and winter, who knew????? :ohwell:

Good for you Tabby! You are definitely an inspiration about running outdoors this winter! My weather is not nearly as cold as yours. Great for bringing your dog too! I bet she enjoys the time to stretch her legs and spend time with her mom. :)
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Well..I ran my 3miles today with a time of 41.05, which is better than my time before. But I was hoping to run non stop for at least 21 minutes and I didnt make it, had to stop at 18mins..took a short 60 sec walk and then kept going, then at the last mile I just pushed myself with running and walking...and let me tell you..It was SO hard tonight!

I think I also may have had a few distractions:

1. I had errands to run after work that I didnt get to the gym until 10:30pm (Central time).
    2. Then I began to sweat quickly and alot that my earphones kept falling out of my ear! What kind do runners wear? I have them little bud like ones...terrible for running & sweating.
    3. Then my bra strap kept falling down so need to get me a sports bra
    4. Then my sweat ran into my eyes and smeared the left over eyeliner I must have still had on because my left eye began to burn!
    5. Then my grandma panties started rolling down my pouch belly!
    6. Then I took my foster teen (girl 17) with me and she got on the treadmill next to me and started talking street talk to her friend and even let out a curse word! I had to hush her!

Oh my goodness...what a night!

So what kind of ear phones do you use..the ones with that wrap around arm for each ear?

Its now midnight..good night runners!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Well..I ran my 3miles today with a time of 41.05, which is better than my time before. But I was hoping to run non stop for at least 21 minutes and I didnt make it, had to stop at 18mins..took a short 60 sec walk and then kept going, then at the last mile I just pushed myself with running and walking...and let me tell you..It was SO hard tonight!

I think I also may have had a few distractions:

1. I had errands to run after work that I didnt get to the gym until 10:30pm (Central time).
    2. Then I began to sweat quickly and alot that my earphones kept falling out of my ear! What kind do runners wear? I have them little bud like ones...terrible for running & sweating.
    3. Then my bra strap kept falling down so need to get me a sports bra
    4. Then my sweat ran into my eyes and smeared the left over eyeliner I must have still had on because my left eye began to burn!
    5. Then my grandma panties started rolling down my pouch belly!
    6. Then I took my foster teen (girl 17) with me and she got on the treadmill next to me and started talking street talk to her friend and even let out a curse word! I had to hush her!

Oh my goodness...what a night!

So what kind of ear phones do you use..the ones with that wrap around arm for each ear?

Its now midnight..good night runners!

Wow! I would definitely get distracted will all that happening during my run.

As for headphones, I have been using out of the ear with an arm that goes over the ear. However, I am looking to get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-S4CHBZ-BC-Chops-Earbuds-Chrome/dp/B0023RRNQM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260366981&sr=8-10
  • Jessica68
    Options
    OH wow..those look big but i bet they stay on for sure! Okay, thanks for the tip on what you are currently using..are you having any trouble with them right now?
  • Jessica68
    Options
    I see that TARGET sells those Skull Cany earphones for 18.99...not bad at all.

Oh, and I got me some running shoes last night! One of my errands that I went to do after work. I got me some Brooks Defyance.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    My headphones now are just a little bulky with trying to wear a band over them for the winter, which is why I am looking into the Skull Candy Chromes. :smile:

Glad you got some running shoes!
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Good morning, Runners!

Jessica - Wow! that's a lot going on while you are trying to run. Good job for sticking to it! Out of that list of distractions, I would have found a nice excuse to skip the gym. :wink: You are a good example for me.

As to the earphones - I have the same problem with my earbuds. I actually wrap the wire around my ear when they start falling out. Not a good solution because eventually the wire is working it's way off my ear... ugh. All around pain, but not annoying enough for me to spend money to get new ones. :laugh:

Let us know how those shoes work for you!

Well, today is my day to run, and I should have gotten up at 6, as is my plan, but I stayed in bed, grumpy at my husband. He made some crack a few days ago that I am always annoyed. So now I'm annoyed at him... hm. Writing that down, I just realized... oh well. So anyway, I decided at 6 that I wasn't getting out of bed and that he can just be "stuck" watching the kids while I run later. Hm... man, this is sounding more and more petty all the time. Well, anyhow, I'm not trying to come up with an excuse not to run! I WILL do it later today. And I will check on here and tell you that I did. So, now, if I come on here w some excuse, you guys have to yell at me, ok?

Cool.