for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Susan-Welcome!

Steph, it's all good, I believe we are all guilty of eating too much bad stuff!:tongue: Keep up the good work, you will do great in your 5k next week.

Iplay, I bodies usually tell us when we need a rest, I am glad you are listening!

Jan- cool with the run! If you can't get mapmy route. com, go to http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/ I use the Track and field website to map my routes!

As for me, I am running six today, I will let you know how it goes!
  • tigerlilly24
    tigerlilly24 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What is the couch to 5k program? I'm a "power-walker" but would love to be a runner. I recently quit smoking so as long as I keep up with that I know I can be a runner.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nicole! Enjoy your run!

Julienicole - The Couch to 5K program is a program by coolrunning.com. For everything C25K, check out c25k.com - it has a link to the cool running program (it is in a chart of what to do every week for 9 weeks) and there are links to podcasts where you just listen to that week audio and it will tell you when to walk/run (it goes by time rather than distance).
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Ok, so my 6 went well. I dropped 30 sec. off my time from last week. And I walked 50 minutes less this week. I am definitely pleased! Hope everyone has a great day!
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    ok - i tried to get out of the surgery last week by taking a cort. shot - was great for about 1 day - now my knee hurts worse than it did before the shot.............Surgery this Thursday...........great job everyone on your running and the races!!!

I will be back!!!!!!
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Hi all! I'm about to complete C25k, and I went to the MFP runners club thread ... whoa, those guys are intense. I think I would fit in better on this thread and/or the c25k graduates.

Today was W9D1 and it went well. Because of my schedule, I had to get up early and do my run before the sun was up. It was cold and I was feeling a little sick, so it would've been a good day to snuggle down into the covers rather than go out into the cold..Plus I was up late last night with a sick 3-year old, so there's another good excuse not to run! But I did it anyway :happy: I ran 30 minutes for the first time! I really need to start work on my speed; 30 minutes only took me 2.25 miles. :ohwell: If anyone has any suggestions on how to increase speed, please let me know. :)

Good luck to everyone who needs to run today.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and didn't eat too much! :happy: Congrats to all of you who raced on Turkey Day! I tried to keep up the running thru the weekend, but I seem to be doing worse than before. :frown: Have any of you run into this? I was steadily running between 2-2.5 miles every other day and pushing for 3, but now I am lucky if I can get in 2 without any walking. Am I burning myself out? What am I doing wrong?

Please help!
    Erin :flowerforyou:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Welcome Shinybonnie! We definitely have regulars here that are all at different levels, so definitely feel free to join! To increase your speed, you will have to do some intervals of speed. The C25K is designed to get you to finish the 5k race, not at a lightening speed. So I guess what I am saying is, that if you haven't done your first 5k yet, don't worry about your speed. It will come in time.:flowerforyou: After your first 5k, you can start doing intervals of speed work. The best place to do them is on a track, but if you don't have a track, you can either go by time or distance. (like going from telephone pole to telephone pole) In other wprds they are repeats of either sprinting or race pace. I can give you more info if you want it.

Erin- Sometimes our bodies need a break. I periodically have alwyays taken a solid week off from running. I know it sounds like you will lose alot, but trust me, your body thanks you! This may be your body telling you to take a break. You should probably be varying your distances too. Long runs are important for endurance, short easy runds are important, and a day of moderate running, such as a tempo run(just below race pace speed), interval sprints, hill repeats, etc. It may sound scary, but it's really not.! I hope that helps!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Julienicole - here is a link to my favorite couch 2 5k podcasts:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/podcasts.html

Go for it!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No running for me today. 33 degrees and downpouring. It was supposed to be W9d1 for me. Tomorrow, thursday and Friday will have to be my runs this week. I almost hope it snows. This cold rain is depressing. Getting my snow tires tomorrow, so it can snow any time! :drinker:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    I hear ya Tabby dog. Sometimes I think it's kinda fun to run in the snow...very pretty!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    ok - i tried to get out of the surgery last week by taking a cort. shot - was great for about 1 day - now my knee hurts worse than it did before the shot.............Surgery this Thursday...........great job everyone on your running and the races!!!

I will be back!!!!!!

Good luck with your surgery! I hope all goes well.
  • dbenson48
    Options
    Not to change the subject but where did you get the quit smoking ticker? I would love to have one!I Quit Jan !st 2009
  • nicolee516
    Options
    I don't know where people get their quit smoking ticker, I got my running one from tickerfactory.com
  • savvystephy
    Options
    No running for me today. 33 degrees and downpouring. It was supposed to be W9d1 for me. Tomorrow, thursday and Friday will have to be my runs this week. I almost hope it snows. This cold rain is depressing. Getting my snow tires tomorrow, so it can snow any time! :drinker:

Eek! I wouldn't run in 33 degree rain weather either. Snow, is another story though. :tongue:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    ok...so I am trying to gear up for my run....I normally do it earlier in the day, but today I have to wait...This is when I find every excuse under the sun not to run!
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Nicolee516!! You HAVE to run! Please don't give in to the excuses, you are one of my inspirations! I'm counting on you! (sorry for the pressure)
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I hear ya about the excuses! I waited ALL DAY until 4:00 to run (had the day off). I drove to a different place to run (one with "normal" hills). It was flat, with some small rolling hills. Ran 2 miles in 20 minutes! and that was with walking the first 5 minutes! I was quite pleased with myself. It was snowing, and about 25 degrees. Very comfy. Still just wearing sweat pants, long sleeved T and fleece vest. End up taking off the hat, gloves, and unzipping the vest. Dog liked the change of scenery, too. ;-)

Yesterday was my birthday and I got ice grips for my sneaks. Don't want to have to use them, but I have them.

Darman, good choice on the surgery. My mother had her hip replaced this year, and was back at it faster than I ever imagined she would be. She wished she had done it sooner. those things are best not put off. Not that I wouldn't if it were me, but it is easier to give advice like that than to take it! Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Thanks Shinybonnie! I did go run. Just 2 miles. I actually felt like I could run more, but I didn't. More on Thursday!

Nice with the run Tabbydog! The time AND the snow!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    I hear ya about the excuses! I waited ALL DAY until 4:00 to run (had the day off). I drove to a different place to run (one with "normal" hills). It was flat, with some small rolling hills. Ran 2 miles in 20 minutes! and that was with walking the first 5 minutes! I was quite pleased with myself. It was snowing, and about 25 degrees. Very comfy. Still just wearing sweat pants, long sleeved T and fleece vest. End up taking off the hat, gloves, and unzipping the vest. Dog liked the change of scenery, too. ;-)

Yesterday was my birthday and I got ice grips for my sneaks. Don't want to have to use them, but I have them.

Darman, good choice on the surgery. My mother had her hip replaced this year, and was back at it faster than I ever imagined she would be. She wished she had done it sooner. those things are best not put off. Not that I wouldn't if it were me, but it is easier to give advice like that than to take it! Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Great job on the run Tabby! :)