for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Steph!!!! That is awesome!!!!!!!!! I am really excited for you!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Steph!!!! That is awesome!!!!!!!!! I am really excited for you!

Thanks Nicole!! :bigsmile:
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I checked out the couch to 5K program, and I am going to start it on Monday after finals. So you only run 3 times a week? and it works?
  • nicolee516
    Options
    yup! Steph just finished the c25k and she just ran a race today and did it in 34 minutes.

I only run 3-4 times a week too. You can get mileage in and not run 5-6 days a week.
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Right on. I am getting excited for Monday!!! Im going to have a great workout after the stress of final week. Anyone can run for one minute- this is going to be interesting.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Way to go Steph! That was awesome timing..very very good!

Well I made it to the gym today and surprised myself..I ended up running for 21mins straight! then walked/run the rest to complete my 3miles. But just two days ago I was at 5min runs with 3min walk intervals..something happened today that I just kept on going! I probably could have continued going but due to my excitement I began to lose focus and got out of the zone. But boy am I impressed to see this interval training really does work at helping you build endurance!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Nice Job Iplay!

Jan, I know what yo umean about the winter throwing everything off. I force myself to do things outside in the winter so I can get some sunshine and fresh air. I hope your long run went well today.

Jessica- that's good with the running! I can't stand running on a treadmill.

I did my 6 mile loop today and I didn't walk!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: I had the same time as when I do walk, but that's ok, I still did not walk!!!

Congrats Nicolee you ran 6miles straight and no walking! you go girl! wow.that is AWESOME
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran a 5K today!!! I had to walk a couple times (limited myself to 30 seconds) but I finished with a time of 34:16! :smile: How cool is that!

That's fabulous! Congratulations!
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Good Morning, Runners!

Congratulations on your 5k, Steph! That is very cool, and your time was GREAT! I have never been in a race. How was the experience overall?

I got my 30 minute run in this morning; again at the indoor gym. It went well, though I was sorely, SORELY tempted to stay home and get back under the covers. It's soooo cold out!

How is everyone else today?
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Congrats Steph! Your time was great!!

I ran 3.1 miles straight on Friday night with no walking!! Yay! I was uber-slow, but I did it with no walking! I am so proud of myself!

Nicole- you rock! I can't wait until I can run 6 miles without walking!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Thanks Erin and Jessica! And to both of you and Bonnie, way to go with the running! If it feels good, go for it!:bigsmile:

Today is a rest day for me, tomorrow, back out on the pavement!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The only thing worse than running when the temp is in the teens, is running when the temp is in the teens and there's breeze. The first half mile this morning was the hardest half mile in a month. It's the first time quitting a run actually entered my mind. But, I settled myself down, got into rythym and finsihed decent.

Ice in the hair this morning, I assume it formed during my cool down walk, because my head was covered for the run. I have a synthetic shirt, and tights that I use as my lowest layer. And then I put sweats and a sweat shirt on over that, then hat and gloves. This morning I weighed all the extra stuff I wear during these cold runs, it came out to 25 lbs, and that's not even the shoes. In other words, i have to think it's a hell of a lot easier to run in warm weather just from a weight stand point.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty damn good after the run. If I can roll out of the rack at 5am and run in this weather....what can't I do?
  • Jessica68
    Options
    wow IPLAY Sounds like you are doing some weight training right now, imagine what your runs will be next summer... easy breezy!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The only thing worse than running when the temp is in the teens, is running when the temp is in the teens and there's breeze. The first half mile this morning was the hardest half mile in a month. It's the first time quitting a run actually entered my mind. But, I settled myself down, got into rythym and finsihed decent.

Ice in the hair this morning, I assume it formed during my cool down walk, because my head was covered for the run. I have a synthetic shirt, and tights that I use as my lowest layer. And then I put sweats and a sweat shirt on over that, then hat and gloves. This morning I weighed all the extra stuff I wear during these cold runs, it came out to 25 lbs, and that's not even the shoes. In other words, i have to think it's a hell of a lot easier to run in warm weather just from a weight stand point.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty damn good after the run. If I can roll out of the rack at 5am and run in this weather....what can't I do?

Ok, I was feeling like a slug because I haven't run since last week, and it's cold and I don't wanna go outside BEFORE I read this... now I REALLY feel like a slug! Oh motivation... where have you gone???
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Come on Jan! you CAN do it! you are my motivation..I look up to you!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    "Lace 'em up and go! Consider yourself majorly encouraged! " remember these words...now GO!
  • nicolee516
    Options

Ok, I was feeling like a slug because I haven't run since last week, and it's cold and I don't wanna go outside BEFORE I read this... now I REALLY feel like a slug! Oh motivation... where have you gone???

Jan- One thing i do to keep me motivated is to sign up for races. That gives me a goal to strive toward. I have shown up to races not prepared before and have been so mad at myself. It helps me kick my butt into gear!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You're right Nicolee, While I enjoy people thinking of me as a crazy, the real motivation for these assinine runs is there is a race on Saturday. While I've done a 2 mile Turkey Trot, this is my first 5K and I want to feel like I prepared as well as I could. Going from 336 lbs and running a 5K in the same calender year is something I'm really driven to do. I'm also scheduled to run another 5K in January, this should keep me honest over Christmas and New Years.

It's snowing this am but it's a strength training day, However, tomorrow morning the wind chill is supposed to be -30...Not running in that. Now my next problem is I want to get one more run it before the race, but I'm not running on snow and ice either. So the time and location of my next run is up for debate.
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    Morning Runners!

Jan - please come on here and tell us you ran! You inspire and motivate me!

Iplay - I hope you can find an indoor track. They are the best! If not, maybe do the treadmill...?

I don't have to run today, and I'm glad to be giving my hip a rest. It hurts after my runs. I thought the new shoes had corrected that problem, but apparently not. I think I'll call a Physical Trainer or whatever they are called to see what he thinks...

Have a great day all!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Iplay you too are very encouraging..just the other night I was showing my husband your page going on and on about you and telling how much you have accomplished, and how it IS possible for us heavier folks to run with the proper training, and I can too! And I AM!

Caling all cars..where is Jan..we need a report from her...calling all cars, be on the look out for Jan..many of us NEED her!