for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the welcomes!

I started to do the C25K but it just wasnt working for me...so I tried a different approach. I'm just trying to run 10 minute intervals with one minute walks for as long as I can. American Body Builders makes a drink called Ripped Force (sounds manly, I know) with only 90 calories and minimal caffiene that is a during-workout drink. If I'm drinking that (with water, of course) during my run then I can go for an hour running 10 minute/1 minute intervals. Otherwise I can only go about 40 and be EXHAUSTED. Of course, I'm sure those drinks arent the best thing for me, so I want to be able to do that without it. My first goal is to run a 5K without stopping. I haven't really run outside a whole lot, though, and that is what makes me nervous. I live in Houston and a lot of bad stuff has been going on around where I live so I'm nervous to run outside alone...but I NEED to run outside if I'm going to be able to run a 5K.

Anyways, looking forward to keeping up with the group. I'm not sure when I should run my first 5k..any suggestions??/

-Brooke-
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Gm everyone!
    Tabby- I am glad you like to run in the dark! That's cool!

Jessica- wow, that is alot going on! I have only worn my ipod a couple of times and I didn't have them fall out because of sweat, just because I kept hitting the wire. Good for you getting running shoes though!

Bonnie- I WILL be checking on you! I can't wait to hear how your run goes!

Brooke- I would try to increasing your time running. You said your run 10min and 1 min of walking. Try 11 min of running and 1 min of walking. Each week try to increase by 1 minute. You will be running for 30minutes straight in no time! As for the supplement, try this instead. an hour before you run, have a snack. Something like an apple, or a handful of granola, some kind of carbohydrate, but not going overboard. Then within an hour after you run, eat something again. Some protein is ok too! The carbs before will help get you through the run. The meal afterward will help you replenish, and the protein helps you rebuild your muscles. I always try to eat before and after. I notice a HUGE difference in my energy levels!

As for me, today is not a run day. I did more Power Yoga. Woah! It's kicking my butt!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My ear phones do a good job of staying in. Then on cold runs I put my hat over them so they don't go anywhere.

However, for the past few runs I have left the MP3 player at home. I'm a minimalist at heart, and by the time I strap on the HRM and Mp3 player I kind of feel like a robot. Not only that I was concerned that the low temps were going to ruin my MP3 Player. I'm definatly going to race without it.

I work 45 minutes from where I live. While my normal route near my house is completly covered in ice, here around work there is nothing on the ground. So my tune up run be tomorrow during a long lunch, hopefully it will be a balmy and sunny 20 degrees by then.....which will probably be the same weather for the race.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the earphone tips..I think im going to buy me the kind that wrap arond the ear for now, the ones with an arm. But yeah..it was distracting them constantly falling off so I finally removed them and felt much more better without that distraction. And maybe a sweat band would help as well, then I can place it slightly over the ear plugs to keep them put.

At least all of this is a learning experience for me. And I'm loving every minute of it! Cant wait to get me a GARMIN FR60 watch too! Thats on my Christmas list.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Looks like Brooke is doing intervals up to an hour..sounds good to me!

So Bonnie and Iplay will have reports for us later today on their runs, cool!

And bonnie..we all have our grumpy days..you're intitled to yours too. But isnt it funny how after we write things down, sometimes things come to "Light". funny how that works!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Nicolee...yes the wire was another distraction as well. And I LOVE LOVE my shoes! I zipped in and out of WALMART REAL fast last night with them on! lol And Power Yoga woah....that's great, you are so active. :smile:

Steph..so have you been running since your Sunday run? Are you running for time again this Sunday?
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    ok, I did my run, but only because I didn't want to get yelled at by you guys! haha! It was rough today, but I did the full 30 minutes - about 2.5 miles. I did end up walking for a few minutes, but then I sprinted a few times to make up for it.

Hope everyone is having a good day and feeling a little better than I am!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Bonnie! I am so glad you ran! Don't you feel better now that you did?!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    way to go Bonnie!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you got your run in, Bonnie!

Jessica - I ran yesterday but had a minor problem with my new shoes so I only ran 2 miles instead of 3. Tomorrow is my next run day, so I will be running 3 miles. I am debating about doing the 5K race again this Sunday.. it depends on the temperature. My neck gaiter will get here on December 14th, so I'd like to wait for that. So, I may just race again on the 20th before heading up to New York for the holidays. :)
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Oh thats right Steph..I do remember your problem with your new shoes. And I had to look up neck gaiter...girl, you know all the tricks of the trade for running comfortably!
  • mavsfan2009
    Options
    Steph...whats wrong with your shoes?
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Ok all, time to stop being a slug and go outside in the cold, wet, dark... I get really messed up when it's dark by 5:30! I'm going to go buy some warmer running things then go to the gym and get on the treadmill for a nice training run and maybe a swim.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Good for you Tabby! You are definitely an inspiration about running outdoors this winter! My weather is not nearly as cold as yours. Great for bringing your dog too! I bet she enjoys the time to stretch her legs and spend time with her mom. :)

Yeah, she loves to go, and I wouldn't go at night in the dark without her. She is my security system. Never mind that she wouldn't hurt a fly. She WOULD knock them down and keep them occupied trying to pry her mile-wide boxer tounge off their faces, though. She's the best! Her mom loves to spend time with her too... :heart:

Can you tell that I have animals instead of kids? LOL :laugh:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Jessica - I found it by looking up ways to warm the air before breathing it in. I tried breathing through my nose, but for me it just isn't enough air flowing in. So when I was racing on Sunday the cold air was burning my lungs which resulted in some lung pain after the race and a couple days of coughing - so I bought a Smart Wool neck gaiter. :smile:

Mavsfan - I tried a pair of Rykas on at DSW (they were on the clearance rack) and they felt good in the store. Once I started running in them on Tuesday, I discovered the toe box was too short and my toes were slamming into the end of the shoe. I got them for $25 (and I like to have two pairs of running shoes, so I have a broken in New Balance pair anyway), so I gave them to my aunt for her to wear to work and ordered the same style shoe offline in a 1/2 a size bigger. :smile: (Besides that Ryka is having a deal right now that when you buy a pair of running shoes you get a free pair of running shorts and free shipping!)

Tabby - There is nothing wrong with loving animals! They are my children right now. If I could have a dog, I would have one too! (On top of my horse and my two Degus (mini chinchillas are their nickname)). :tongue:
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Ok, I went out and got some slightly warmer running gear - nike capri legnth form fitting pants with a little zipper in the back to hold my cell phone ( love that!), a light weight long-sleved champion top that I can wear under another shirt or by itself, and a very lightweight quarter-zip hoodie, that could also go under a warmer vest or jacket.

I wore the longer clothes at the gym to try them out - definately warmer! It wouldn't be enough for REALLY cold days, but then again, I'm not likely to run outside then :-)

So, I went for distance on the treadmill - and since I've been a slug, my time is down and I had to walk a little more but I did week 1 Gateway to 5k for the second time, so I'll call it day 2 :-) 3.16 miles in 46 minutes. Had a side stich for a while - I kept going and it worked it's way out, but wasn't fun for a few minutes. Other than that... I was glad to be back "out there" on the treadmill. Here's to building momentum in the right direction!

Oh, and clothes shopping is still depressing... that was also a good reality check about why I need to LOG MY FOOD and RUN!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    OH JAN! its SO good to have you back with us!!! Your run was great for not really running consistently lately.

Steph..I read somewhere that they recommend runners to buy shoes 1/2 size bigger but I cant remember WHERE I read that so dont hold me to it.

The running shoes I got seem to be made with a wide toe area for runners.
  • mavsfan2009
    Options
    Steph- is Ryka the Kelly Ripa brand? I've never bought anything Ryka...but hey, if it makes me look like Kelly Ripa one day, I'm down for it :) I was having a lot of problems with my shoes giving me blisters and it looks like I'm having the opposite problem...my shoes are too big or just not tight enough. I have a pretty narrow foot (size 7) and there is just too much room in the front of the shoe. I went to the Texas Running Co. and they suggests orthotics (which I figured they would) and so far, so good. Now I can use my broken-in Asics and make them feel good. I'm pretty excited.

Buying new workout clothes always gets me more excited about running. Last year I bought a pair of Under Armour pants that go under your shorts and it motivated me to run outside. New sports bras, new running shirts, lifting gloves, etc... all get me more pumped up to go to the gym. I bought a new gym bag on black friday (pink adidas, perfect size, only 10 bucks at Sports Authority!) and a new toiletries bag and it makes my life so much easier. Now if I can only get myself to pack that bag the night before and go to the gym in the morning BEFORE I go to work, I'd be in good shape.
  • mavsfan2009
    Options
    By the way...

Hey everybody, my name is Brooke. I'm 22 and live in Houston and just joined this group because I REALLY want to run a 5k (fairly soon) then hopefully a 10k....then who knows what! There is a radio DJ in Houston that is about to do Strides Across Texas (481 miles- Dallas to Austin to San Antonia to Houston in 13 days) benefitting Texas Children's Medical Center. If I could do something HALF that amazing someday...even just running a marathon for a cause...I would be so happy. That definitely motivated me.

http://www.stridesacrosstexas.org/