for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Hello:flowerforyou:

I lurk on your thread reading about how great you all are doing to keep me motivated.:flowerforyou:

Last night I jogged 2.5 miles on the treadmill in 35 mins......super slow, but I am working on it. I hope to be able to get myself to the 5K distance first and then work up to increasing speed.

I just wanted to let you all know that you are a huge inspiration to me! Thanks. :happy:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well, I was prepared to run in the rain this morning, but come on, this is ridiculous! I am talking torrential downpours. It was raining so hard I had to turn the TV up to like 30 to hear the news (we have a steel roof), and then the satellite went out. SIGH. I am going to Zumba tonight, but I really wanted to run this morning. :grumble:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Erin- Keep chuggin' away girl!!! you are doing great!:flowerforyou:

Tabby- That's ok...I push myself to run in the rain, but not torrentail downpours! There is always tomorrow!
  • tabbydog
    Options
    Yeah, it was warm, about 54 degrees, and I reallly love running in a drizzle, or even up to a steady rain, but my dog didn't even want to be out in it. She just looked at me like WTF?!? She didn't even want to go out with me when I fed horses. I was SOAKED after 5 minutes. Guess since I was wet already I should have just run, but my road was like a mud pit.... Just couldn't make myself do it.
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    I am definitely in! I run for 40 minutes a day, with a 10 minute mile, so i qualify. I've been gettin consistantly better, better meaning i can run longer with a few past paced intervals, but i hope to be able to run more than 5 easily.

We'll keep working on this!

288747.png
    Welcome to the post - great time - don't care what anyone says 10 minute miles are awesome!!
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    Iplay - Good luck on your run this weekend! :drinker:

Nicole - Thanks! Keep up the good work too!

I just did my second 25 minute run today on a different route and it still ended up being about 2.05 miles. So, my pace is pretty much the same. :tongue: So at this pace I can expect to finish a 5K in about 37 minutes. :tongue: I know only if I continue to keep doing what I am doing will the time decrease. :bigsmile:
    go Savvy Go!! great time for your 5k
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Iplay - Good luck on your run this weekend! :drinker:

Nicole - Thanks! Keep up the good work too!

I just did my second 25 minute run today on a different route and it still ended up being about 2.05 miles. So, my pace is pretty much the same. :tongue: So at this pace I can expect to finish a 5K in about 37 minutes. :tongue: I know only if I continue to keep doing what I am doing will the time decrease. :bigsmile:
    go Savvy Go!! great time for your 5k

Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Allright. Finsihed 2 miles in 21:57 this morning. At least I'm a consistant runner.

There's more to talk about the actual race experiance than the actual running. I was not ready for the crowd at the start. When it takes a half mile to spread the field out it takes a while to get comfortable when you're used to running by yourself.

I was amazed at the number of people who would sprint ahead of me, and then I would pass them for good.

While I was not fast my some peoples standards, training outside with elevation changes was a big help during this race. There were two small climbs that had a lot of people walking up. Meanwhile I just kept chugging. A lot of people that were ahead of me most of the race I passed during the last 1/4 mile. I guess that's when the endurance part comes in.

However, I was passed by two mothers pushing their strollers (hang head):bigsmile:

I have added a few pics to my profile. I think I'm going to look at some speed work before the 5K in three weeks.

But I had a blast, I am hooked, and I am not a wanna-be runner any longer.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Great job Iplay! I am glad you had a good time! That is awesome! Keep it up and I am sure you'll do fantastic in your 5K race!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Way to go Iplay!!!!! That is awesome! Don't hang your head in shame about the strollers....they are a different breed!:tongue:
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Great job I play!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Jan- When is your next race?

As for me- I ran a 6mile long run today. I don'treally put my times on here much because I am actually embarrased of them! I shouldn't be though. So here it is! I ran my 6 miles in 1:02:53. I am slowly getting faster. I did walk a little bit in that. slowly getting back into shape. Now I just goota get the weight off so I can get faster times!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    [snip]

I ran my 6 miles in 1:02:53.

I think that's an awesome time!

I haven't decided on my next race yet. There is an outside chance I'll do a "Turkey Trot" this week - WAAAYY outside...

More likely, There is a 10k in my town in February, and I'm strongly considering doing "my first triathalon" in June - 400m swim, 12Mile bike, 5k
  • nicolee516
    Options
    That's cool Jan. Thank you so much for your encouragement! I am really hard on myself.

My family and I created our own turkey trot we are doing on Thanksgiving. :happy:

I used to do triathlons, the are alot of fun! You should definitely do the tri!:flowerforyou:
  • tabbydog
    Options
    Contrats Iplay, sounds great! Way to go!

FINALLY got my third run for last week in yesterday. SIGH. More traffice Friday night. Someone said it was holiday shoppers. WHAT??? If it is like this for the next month, I am going to .... well, um, I don't know what I am going to do, but come on!! :explode: :mad: :sad:
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    [snip]

I ran my 6 miles in 1:02:53.

I think that's an awesome time!

I haven't decided on my next race yet. There is an outside chance I'll do a "Turkey Trot" this week - WAAAYY outside...

More likely, There is a 10k in my town in February, and I'm strongly considering doing "my first triathalon" in June - 400m swim, 12Mile bike, 5k

Tri-athalon, now there's an idea. Swimming and biking are other activities I really enjoy. Forgive me for being ingorant, but do you do all of those things back-to-back? If they I are I hope the biking is last, you can rest a little bit while biking.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    They are back to back. You swim, then bike, and then run. no rest for the weary. I find the hardest transition is from the bike to the run. Your legs feel like complete jello and your breathing is way off.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    They are back to back. You swim, then bike, and then run. no rest for the weary. I find the hardest transition is from the bike to the run. Your legs feel like complete jello and your breathing is way off.

I'm sure, breathing for biking, no matter the elevation change is totally different than running. I think if I did this there better be 50 Hot Wings and a pitcher of beer waiting for me at the end.
  • nicolee516
    Options

I'm sure, breathing for biking, no matter the elevation change is totally different than running. I think if I did this there better be 50 Hot Wings and a pitcher of beer waiting for me at the end.

I sure like that idea!:drinker: :drinker: That has always been a favorite part of all of my races, running, tris, etc....the beer afterwards!:drinker:
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    http://www.triathlons.net/Atlanta/

Here is the one I'm looking at. They do this in a few cities, but I'm not sure where they all are.