Senior Golden Sneakers Club~~~~~~~`October~~~~~~~~~

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Barb, it's been raining here too. Jake had planned to play golf but the rain was too much even for him and his umbrella. The power went out for about four hours. Fortunately it didn't happen until after breakfast. The dogs don't mind the rain. They like all the new smells that come when the ground is wet. The cats kept going in and out hoping each time that the weather had improved.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, I think you got your answer about the chiropractor. Find another one. There will be the right one for you.

:flowerforyou: Marie, We watched a little bit of your Texas football game when the power finally came back on.

:flowerforyou: Gayla--it's great to be counting the days until you retire. I remember that on my last day of teaching, one of the parents asked me if I was sad to be leaving. I answered appropriately but inside I was cheering with delight. I worked hard (as you have done) and when it was time to go, I left and haven't looked back.

While the power was out I finished reading my book by lamplight (the power never goes out on a bright sunny day, only on dark overcast, rainy days :laugh: ), rode the exercise bike (it can run on batteries) and Jake cooked chicken and veggies for lunch on the propane grill.

The girls are here this afternoon to groom the dogs so it will be a fun afternoon.
    hugs, :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :smooched: Thank you all for your advice regarding the chiropractor. :happy: I called his office today, and told the receptionist (not exactly what Barb recommended, though the thought was there:laugh: )that I decided to go to my husband's chiropractor. :happy:

Yes.....my husband goes to one... (in the town he works in) but it's a 40 min drive from here, (to a Rhode islander that's a long ride ):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:, so I wanted to find someone more local especially when we have many here in town (like the one I told you about).:angry: I think what I found was someone more LOCO!!!:laugh: :laugh:

So it seems like the realistic thing to do is to go to someone that I already know is good, even though it's way out of my way. :happy: Sometimes convenience stands in the way of logic:ohwell: I guess I knew from my gut what the answer was but sometimes you just need to hear it from somebody else!:flowerforyou:

:noway: Watch him call me Monday:noway: :noway: If he does, then I'll take Barb's advice:laugh: :laugh:
    Just glad I didn't eat over eat.:wink:

Sounds like everyone is doing well, rain or shine (accept those poor dogs of Barb's:laugh: :laugh: ) You gotta do what you gotta do!:wink:

Being 61, retirement is still a ways off as I'll be working (God willing) until I'm 67. For those retired, I say...good for you and enjoy!! Like you, Barbie, I wouldn't look back, even though I have a job that I like:wink:

Have a great weekend (whatever is left of it):happy:
    BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I expect many of you are in bed but I will be up for awhile. Shortly after my last post I started a headache which didn't want to go away. It is the first time that I have had a headache following massage. She did really work my "very tight back" so I guess it should not be a surprise. I took some tylenol and slept for awhile. It was still there when I woke but has gradually gone. Of course, now I am not tired. Neil is watching a movie and Dave is playing a game on his computer so we are all vegging in our own ways.

I think it is a bit funny that I finish work on my birthday as I have said many times "if I am still sitting on the floor playing with toys when I am 60 take me out and shoot me!!". I guess they won't have to do that -- whew!! The only time I will be sitting on the floor playing with toys will be with me grandchildren, if I am ever so lucky as to have any! Actually, I have been one of those lucky people who has never had a job that I didn't love, all the way back to when I was a Nurse's Aide. So many people hate their work and I know how fortunate I have been.

Have a great Sunday everyone. Gayla :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Everyone,

Last night was my 53 grade school reunion and what fun it was. I honestly didn't recognize anyone, but did remember a lot of names. :laugh: It was fun trying to place everyone and find out what they are doing after all these years. There weren't many there around 34, but our graduation class had around 150 people from three different classes. It was sad to read about those who are no longer with us. :brokenheart: My sister went with me since she graduated from the same school three years earlier. One of the organizers is trying to set up a three day cruise next April. It would be to the Bahamas and only cost about $500 for an outside balcony room. The air fare would be extra but still sounds like a good deal to me. I think I might go on that cruise. :tongue:

I think we are finally getting some sun today with a little warmer weather. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I know nothing about chiropractors Birdie, but glad you are going to go to your husband's since you know he is good. It sounded like the other guy wanted to do a pain management but his method of payment doesn't sound right. Wouldn't it have had to be approved by your insurance company? Water over the bridge now, you made the right decision. :bigsmile:

Gayla, sorry about that headache, do you have allergies? Are you drinking a lot of water, the best thing for headaches? I love retirement even though I am always busy, but at least most of the time there is no time line. :wink:

Barbie, sorry about all the rain, I hate rain. Daisy doesn't seem to mind but I hate letting her get all wet and smelly. At least you still got to work out, and why do we all believe nothing would stop you!! Do you ever just sit still and relax? Is there ever a day you don't exercise? You are such a motivation, I know I keep saying that, but what's true is true. :bigsmile:

Marie, where are you? Hope you had your morning coffee then your small walk and can spend the rest of the day watching football. :love: :love: :love:

Have a great day!!

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hey Sandy. Your cruise sound nice. Do go and have fun.

I have had my coffee and breakfast which was one those Aroweat thin buns toasted with peanut butter and banana sandwich Those thin buns are fantastic. My calorie count was 390 and I will have have a latte when I get back from walking that will be another 110 calories ,. Will have to keep an eye on my food count the rest of today pretty good. Plan on a chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes for lunch. Have not figure the calories up yet. Right now Sammy is telling me time for our walk.

Marie
    Be back later Have a good day
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I copy this from my food chart. this is my menu for today

October 18, 2009 TOTAL CALORIES 1,167

Breakfast
    Great Value - Creamy Peanut Butter-Regular, 2 tbsp 200 cal.
    Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90 cal.
    Oroweat - Sandwich Thins - 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll 100 cal.
    snacks
    Walmart Great Value - 1% Milk, 1 cup 110 cal.
    lunch
    Kroger - Non-Breaded Chicken Tenders, 2 oz 50cal.
    Oroweat - Sandwich Thins 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll 100 cal.
    Fresh Produce - Sliced Tomato, 1 slice 3 cal.
    the Laughing Cow - Cheese Triangles Light, 1 triangle 17.5g 25 calories
    Snacks
    Great Value (Walmart) - Light Lemon Chiffon Nonfat Yogurt, 6 oz 80 cal/
    dinner
    Sweet potato - Cooked, baked in skin, without salt (Sweetpotato), 1 medium (2" dia, 5" long, raw) 103 2 cal.
    Fish - Salmon, Atlantic, wild, raw, 3 oz 121 cal.
    snacks
    Fage Greek Yogurt - Total 2%, 1 container 130 cal
    Strawberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 0.5 cup, thawed 39cal
  • BirdieM
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sandy: I went, with my husband, to my 40th reunion :noway: a couple of years ago and I thought no one changed much. My husband said, if that's true....you had to have had the oldest senior class in the world!!!:laugh: :laugh: I think you're smart to bring your sister. It's so boring to our husbands who band together with all the others "outside the loop" just trying to get through the evening.:grumble: :grumble: Glad you had a good time!
    I think that cruise sounds great! Like you, whenever there's a cruise, I have to fly to where ever it's sailing from, which is always an added expense:frown: but sounds like it's worth it!!!:wink:

Our weather here is horrible! The wind and rain!!! :noway: :noway: I'll be happy to see the sun, whenever that happens:ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Gayla: I hope your headache is better:frown: Usually caffeine helps my headaches and my son-in-law, who gets migraines, fine caffeine helpful too! Too much caffeine, though, make me nervous:frown: Good luck!

:flowerforyou: Marie: Those Orowheat thins that you mentioned...are they the same thing as Arnold's Select Multi-grain Sandwich Thins? I use them a lot and love them. :tongue: They, too, are 100 calories! I even have a hamburger in them when Russ cooks on the grill and they're so much better for you than those bulcky rolls that everyone else has.:happy:

Have a nice Sunday everyone!
    :smooched: BirdieM
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Birdie, they sound the same but I have never seen any. My toaster will let me toast the whole thing and is so good. Marie
  • BirdieM
    Options
    That's what I do. 1 will fit in 1 slot, but if I want it crispy, I do them in seperate slots. It's got to be the same thing and they are great! I think I'll have one right now as it's time for my noon meal:laugh:
    BirdieM:tongue:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Sandy,

Your cruise sounds like fun. The postings about reunions reminds me of when I went to my hubby's 35th HS reunion (when we were still married, of course). Since I am 10 years younger than he, I go to tease him and all his friends about being "over the hill" I had a GREAT time.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: THEY probably thought I was a pain in the "touchee":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Marie, When I read your menu info, one thing I wanted to mention to save you some sodium, is a product that I buy at the Kroger-owned store in my area. (Up here, they carry the name of the regional chain they purchased several years ago-- "Fred Meyer") Hormel makes an all natural minimally processed line of lunch meat. They come in a package that looks like brown cardboard, and there is turkey, roast beef and ham. NONE of them have nitrates. Like all lunchmeat, the ones I already mentioned do have some sodium in them, BUT they also have a chicken strip type option (unbreaded, of course), and the sodium on it is VERY low.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday. I already walked for an hour this morning with the "pesties," and I am getting ready to head out for church. Our rain will return tomorrow, but today is supposed to be halfway decent.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Sandy,

Your cruise sounds like fun. The postings about reunions reminds me of when I went to my hubby's 35th HS reunion (when we were still married, of course). Since I am 10 years younger than he, I go to tease him and all his friends about being "over the hill" I had a GREAT time.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: THEY probably thought I was a pain in the "touchee":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Marie, When I read your menu info, one thing I wanted to mention to save you some sodium, is a product that I buy at the Kroger-owned store in my area. (Up here, they carry the name of the regional chain they purchased several years ago-- "Fred Meyer") Hormel makes an all natural minimally processed line of lunch meat. They come in a package that looks like brown cardboard, and there is turkey, roast beef and ham. NONE of them have nitrates. Like all lunchmeat, the ones I already mentioned do have some sodium in them, BUT they also have a chicken strip type option (unbreaded, of course), and the sodium on it is VERY low.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday. I already walked for an hour this morning with the "pesties," and I am getting ready to head out for church. Our rain will return tomorrow, but today is supposed to be halfway decent.

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Barbs I will look for it. I love sandwiches with lettuce and tomatoes. Thos thin buns are so good. They keep me going. I had a little walk. My hips are still given me trouble// Just took 2 tylenol so I can try it again. Maybe that will help. Marie
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a happy Sunday. My headache was def. better but not completely gone. I made Potato Soup for dinner. I likely could have made something healthier but it seemed comforting. I used low fat cream cheese so that helped keep the fat and calories down a bit. I wanted to make something with some Turkey stock that I still had in the fridge. Tomorrow morning we go to see the Hematologist about Neil's blood work. I hope the results of the blood work are there so he can make some kind of diagnosis.

Sandy -- Your cruise sounds wonderful. Three days is perfect for a group that you are not close with. My nursing class has a reunion every 5 years and I look forward to them so much. I have only missed one, the last one was right after my cataract surgery and my eyes were not working together. Glad the reunion was fun!

Everyone else have a great week ahead! Keep smiling. Gayla :smile:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Guess my computer thought my last post was so important it needed to be posted twice:laugh: :laugh:

Would you believe after I entered it and opened the front door, it was RAINING AGAIN!!:noway: :noway:

Fortunately, it was a very localized shower---localized to the point that I drove 1/4 south of my condo and found it not only was not raining, the sun was shining!!:glasses: They say if you don't like the weather here, "wait 5 minutes" and this is why!!:laugh: :laugh:

Marie, glad you mentioned you could get the Orowheat Sandwich Thins at "Wallymart." They have 8 in a package for $2.50, slightly more per bun than the 16 pack at Costco, but a lot better quantity for a single person. I know bread can be frozen, but it never tastes the same to me afterwards, so I have to toast any frozen bread I might have. Those sandwich thins are excellent toasted or otherwise!!:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Sounds like a happy Sunday. My headache was def. better but not completely gone. I made Potato Soup for dinner. I likely could have made something healthier but it seemed comforting. I used low fat cream cheese so that helped keep the fat and calories down a bit. I wanted to make something with some Turkey stock that I still had in the fridge. Tomorrow morning we go to see the Hematologist about Neil's blood work. I hope the results of the blood work are there so he can make some kind of diagnosis.

Good luck on the bloodwork. It's hard to be hanging, in regards to situations like this!

BirdieM:flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Barbs, Yes I love those little buns, I planned on using one as a pizza crust today. Will make my sauce out of no carb catchup with some italian spices and , chopped bell peppers and onions. 1/4 c. mozzella chesse First will spread t of olive oil on bun and toast it. Make my mouth water just thinking about it. Cooked on oe f my turkey sausage and spread on top. I think I will leave the bun whole. Noww to go and see how many calories. Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Took my son the airport for a trip to Phoenix. He has an interview there with the post office and hopes he gets a full time position. Good Luck Brad!! I will be so sad if he moves, but he is an adult and has to do what is best for him. He is such a good son and is always doing something to help me and my husband. He loves Daisy and will find it hard to leave her, but this is life. :cry:

Today is my exercise day, hope to do 45 minutes each of Wii and Elliptical. I have lost a couple of those gained pounds but will not post until I am sure they are off for good. :laugh:

Gayla, I hope Neil's blood work is good so he can finally have that needed surgery. I will keep him in my prayers that all goes well. That could be the cause of your headache, stress.

Marie and Barb, those little sandwich thins sound great, I will have to check them out. I am like Barb, once the bread is in my frig I have to either toast it or warm it in the microwave to make it softer. :tongue:

Think I will do some laundry today, I love Mondays, because it is my day to do whatever I want.

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Sandy. I love Monday. Its the begnning of a new week. a new start if needed. and it is needed.

We are to have a nice week here, weather wise. Cool morning in the 70's during the day. sammy and I need to get out and start this pemometer going. I lost a lot of steps this mornimg for I haven's put it on yet. So that means I will really have to work to get 4,000 steps in today. Just hope my hips will hold out.

Better go get me some tylenol to halp it some.

Gayla you seems at peace with the world. Good for you. Good luck on Neil bloodwork.

Barbiecat, enjoy your hiking today. How is the weather?

Barbs. I got my pizza all fighure out. I had to leave the catchup off for it had way to much sodium. gonna use fresh tomatoes instead.

Phoebe, Hope to see you soon.?

Beth , hope to hear from you soon too?

Jeffrey, Hey guy how are you doing? You notice I am not calling you boy anymore.

Jake enjoy your goafing.

birdie. Hope you are doing fine this morning.

Ellen, Keep warm

Sandy when I do the washing I notice I get a lots of steps in. And good luck to your son on getting the job.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Marie

Marie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    hey all not home yet! going to pass thru home 4 a few hours then gone again. be safe and b well.
    hope beth is ok
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Sandy; If your son is meant to get the job...he will...and it will be a good job! But our kids are always our kids and we miss them when they're not near us.:frown:

Phoebe: Hope you're enjoying your travels!

Marie: Is it okay to push with the tylenol if your hip is hurting you? I'm no doctor...but I wouldn't overdue it..or at least check with him/her to see if you should be pushing it?

I came home from work not feeling too good and didn't want to stay at work in case I have something. With all this H1N1 stuff....you just can't be too safe. :ohwell: I worry about others.:ohwell:
    Have a good day!
    BirdieM:smile: