Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good afternoon Ladies, Just a quick note and them I'm off to shop.I feel good, did Leslie Sansone 3 mile, the biggest loser cardio, 10 min ab workout, then took my Grandson for a mile walk while pushing him in his Little Yykes car, and them chased him around for another half hour.:laugh:
    Have a wonderful afternoon.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Rosemary
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Great to read everyone's posts!
    Just an update on the wedding. I kept within my plan for the most part but I did go over my calories for the day. :ohwell: I made sure I had a few appetizers while we mingled with my first glass of wine. :laugh: :laugh: Had the soup (very small cup) the salad with vinigrette dressing (very little) but ate most of the chicken breast (no skin). :ohwell: The potatoes and green beans didn't taste right so I ate very little of that. Then My second glass of wine, which lasted the rest of the night:happy: You should have seen the dessert!!! :tongue: It was literally a small plate with a peice of chocolate cake, a chocolate covered ice cream ball and a heap of vanilla whipped cream.:noway: :noway: I didn't even take a taste! :bigsmile: I did try to offer it to others at my table but no one wanted it because what they ate was so filling!!! The waitress came and I gave her the entire plate with nothing touched! I was so proud of myself! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Plus I danced and dance till I was dripping with sweat for the next couple of hours. My back and knees and feet all seem to cooperate:laugh: :laugh:
    Also, everyone I spoke to noticed the weight loss....got so many compliments:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
    I came home famished and not tired so I ate a small bag of mini rice cakes :frown: I went over about 500 calories for the day but I'm sure I danced a lot of that off:wink:
    Today my back is a little stiff:laugh: :laugh: but it's worth the fun we had. I am now down to 473 calories for the rest of today and I think I should wait one more day to do the treadmill, I don't want to push my luck:wink:
    But I'm tired and my resolve seems weak, so I will commit to not go over the rest of those calories today and tomorrow try the treadmill!

Have a great Saturday and I'll check in tomorrow:love:
    God Bless!!!
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    Just got back from a birthday party. Ate nothing. getting good at this. Esther I actually had the same idea. I have a bag of size 14's if anyone is interested. They are good clothes that I just dont want to throw out. I would love for someone to be able to use them. I would also ship them if anyone is interested. Just let me know if you find any rules against it. If anyone is interested in them let me know. Have a good afternoon ladies.
    VickiM

PS Welcome to new ladies.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Esther, thanks so much for the link for the October thread. This makes it so easy to find you. As you probably expect from me I haven't been posting much lately. I do, however, log in my information every day while I am at work. I don't want to press my luck, using my work computer for personal things. So, I don't post in the thread.
    I am now up to three sessions of Zumba a week. I really need to do more weights but I get lazy if it isn't actually scheduled. I had to buy new jeans today. I got size six. I can't remember ever wearing a size 6. I really think that they are sizing clothes differently now.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary Ann. I am 57/married and about 40 lbs. overweight. I have been to the Drs. and I am definitely carb sensitive. I had been going to the gym and lifting weights 3x's a week along with cardio. When I ate what they told me such as sweet potatoes, oatmeal etc. I gained 10 lbs., but lost no inches. I have since stopped going to the gym, drastically cut my carbs, and started walking. I have lost 10 lbs. so far. My goal is to be able to run again. Right now my knees and hips just can't take it. I'm hoping to lose at least 15 to 20 lbs. by Christmas.

Mary Ann
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I had to buy new jeans today. I got size six. I can't remember ever wearing a size 6. I really think that they are sizing clothes differently now.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but YES they are sizing things differently now. With more than 60 percent of American women now overweight, they call it vanity sizing. As you can read in its entirety at the following link today's size 0 is yesteryear's size 8.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/05/05/0_is_the_new_8/
  • vickim26
    Options
    It doesn't really burst my bubble Susie, but is interesting to know. the last time I remember wearing a size 14 I weighed 160 pounds after I gave birth to my last child. Now I weigh 185 and wear 14's and some 12's. This was confusing to me until you enlightened me. thanks. Question for you. I have been faithful with my Apple Cider vinegar. When you eat out do you bring it with you. Do you skip it or do you just take it when you get home. thanks.
    Vicki M

Welcome to all the new ladies.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I had to buy new jeans today. I got size six. I can't remember ever wearing a size 6. I really think that they are sizing clothes differently now.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but YES they are sizing things differently now. With more than 60 percent of American women now overweight, they call it vanity sizing. As you can read in its entirety at the following link today's size 0 is yesteryear's size 8.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/05/05/0_is_the_new_8/
    That doesn't do much for my ego!!! So my size 12 is yesteryear's size 20?????? That's scarry! :wink:
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mary Ann. Bad carbs are a problem for me too. I have to try to stay away!

Have a good evening everyone.
    Esther
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Question for you. I have been faithful with my Apple Cider vinegar. When you eat out do you bring it with you. Do you skip it or do you just take it when you get home. thanks.
    Vicki M

I usually take it first, or after I get home. The only reason to take it with a meal is to prevent stomach upset, so if you are one of those with a delicate system by all means take it with you. Otherwise it won't hurt to take it before, or after by as much as an hour.

As for the clothes thing, last time I wore a size 12, I was about 40 pounds lighter than I am now. They say the average American woman is a size 14, so that would be our mother's size 20+. Scary!
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: October already! I,too, didn't make my goals for Sept. I haven't been eating like I should, drinking water like I should or excercising like I should.:grumble: Wow! There, it's out. Now I can get back up off of the floor after kicking myself in the behind and get busy. It's good to hear from each of you. Looking forward to a good month!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I am back. Sorry for dropping out of sight. I had such a time with all of my dr. appts. and physical therapy, that I haven't had time to post, or I just collapsed in the easy chair in pain and exhaustion. The good news is that finally, after they finally figured out what was really wrong with my hip (dislocated sacroiliac joint), the physical therapist has been able to help me. I am not back to where I was yet, but I'm much better, and they may release me from PT next week.

As for my September goals, one was to get my pain under control so that I could walk again. Well, I still haven't been able to go for a walk, but I am now surviving walking at work and at home with much less pain. My other goal was to lose 8 pounds. I will weigh on Monday, and then let you know.

My October goals: To be able to swim and go for a walk, and for my ticker to say I have lost 75 pounds. Here's to smart choices!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I went over my calories today but ate healthy
    it was a combination of very little exercise (less than 9000 steps on my step counter) and lunch in a restaurant. The place we planned to go was closed and the next one (we were on foot) was "The Rock wood fired pizza & spirits". I found a Thai chicken salad but even with only a bit of the dressing on the side and one bite of the tortilla bits (on the side) I figured it was about 500 calories. :sad: I could have skipped my bedtime snack but I didn't :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

At least I wasn't like the heavy woman at the next table who getting handfuls of candy out of the bowl on her table and I said no to the Twinkies and M&Ms that were offered to me. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: And I drank more water than usual.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

This was the night I wore my new dress and it looked great. All the hard work payed off.

I know sizes now aren't like they used to be but the scale hasn't changed so even if today's size 6 is yesterday's size 10, I still feel thinner than I've been since I was in my 30's.

If you're wearing smaller pants today than you were a month or a year ago, it is cause for celebration.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    hugs to all:heart:
    Barbie
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this thread. I am 56 years old and have not been successful in losing this weight (40 lbs.). Prior to menopause, I had no difficulty maintaining my weight (112 to 118 lbs. at 5' 4 1/2"). Now I weigh 165 :embarassed: and have been failing repeated at weight loss. I don't want to give up and have been trying to walk at least 5 miles daily and eat right. I am a caffeine junkie, and I swear, all those diet sodas in some way wreak havoc with my blood sugar and create hunger. Has anyone else experienced this with diet drinks? Also, how important is it to consume 8 glasses of water daily? :ohwell:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all. I found you. Did pretty good on goals for September:smile: I am leaving my bike in the shed with that darned snake until the spring and am going to do a walking goal instead.
    To all of MFP family have a great weekend, Rosemary
    And remember to:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: drink that water

Rosemary,

I couldn't help laughing when I tried to imagine how on earth that SNAKE is going to ride your bicycle!!!!:noway: :noway: :laugh: I think you should just send someone in there to get your bike before it gets too lonely :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome to all the new members. I am too tired to do much of a post. I worked a 10 hour day, went to church, took the doggies for a walk and met friends at Applebee's for dinner--delicious lime chicken spinach salad--only 250 calories. Now the doggies are settling in. They finally stopped tormenting each other and are sleeping side by side like the little angels they are NOT:laugh: and I am heading for a nice warm bed and SLEEPING IN since I already went to Mass this evening.

Hope everyone has a great weekend:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I am a caffeine junkie, and I swear, all those diet sodas in some way wreak havoc with my blood sugar and create hunger. Has anyone else experienced this with diet drinks? Also, how important is it to consume 8 glasses of water daily? :ohwell:

Welcome to our over 50 thread. :flowerforyou:

As a former caffeine junkie I can agree that diet drinks make me feel hungrier too. Now all I drink on a daily basis is unsweetened tea or water. (I DO still have an occasional diet soda, but this is the exception now, rather than the norm.)

As for your question on water, most nutritional experts agree that even 8 glasses of water a day MAY not be enough. Instead they say you should drink half of your weight in ounces per day. For example if you weight 100 pounds, you need to drink at least 50 ounces of water per day.

:drinker: Here are 8 really good reason to drink LOTS of water:

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. (When you're trying to lose, the LAST thing you want is a slower metabolism.)

4. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

5. Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
  • vickim26
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Welcome to newcomers. You will love this site. I agree just get some else to get your bike out. I would not go near that snake either but I would not let him have my bike. It is so hard to believe that some of you are having cold weather. We are excited if it gets into the low 80's or 70's. I woke up early and went to the gym. I did an hour and burned nearly 1000 calories. I am back on track. I then went to breakfast with my 2 girls and grandchildren. I ate right. it was good. There is a local restaurant where we go for breakfast and you can either get buffet or order. I used to get buffet but now order. For $3 We get 2 eggs, grils and whole wheat toast. Now I am going to do some sewing. It is raining here and I am home alone so will enjoy the day. I love when I go to gym first thing then the rest of the day is mine. Hope you ladies have a good Sunday. Eat right, exercise and drink, drink, drink water that is.
    Vicki M
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :love: Welcome to the new folks. MFP’s is a great group.:smile::smile: We are all working towards our goals and supporting each other in the process.
    :love: Sunday is the day when I can really take the time to read everything post. I have been sticking with my nutritional program:heart::heart: but not able to exercise much:grumble: :grumble: . My left knee is getting so bad that I am actually thinking about getting my crutches out. :mad: :mad: I am waiting for MRI approval (should come through tomorrow). I will start with anti inflammatory today to see if I can feel better. Now for my really good news.:love::love: I got my lab work back and my cholesterol levels are at an all time low. 197 and I have never been that low. I have always had high cholesterol no matter how I ate but this clean way of eating and the nutritional cleanse that I do once a week has made a big difference. I also lost a pound this week.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou: Sheila, Peschuntz and Mary Ann -Welcome to MFP.
    :flowerforyou: Susan-Singing 5 times a week sounds like heaven. How wonderful for you.
    :flowerforyou: Esther and VickiM-I don’t know about the MFP rules but I commend you both on your thoughtful idea and generous hearts.
    :flowerforyou: Mamacindy81-my husband eats chips, ice cream and fritos. The only way I can escape is I have him keep his treats in a brown paper bag(out of sight out of mind) on the top of the fridge. (Except the ice cream) Then when he has them I have my laptop, tv and temper pedic bed in the bed room and I go in there and watch tv and/or have my snack. The fritos are hardest for me to resist.
    :flowerforyou: Janessmi-glad to read your post and you are off to a great start.
    :flowerforyou: Rosemary-After reading your share a while ago about Leslie Sansone walking at home I ordered it through Netflix and loved it. It seems eaiser on my knee than the uneven ground outside. I bought my own copy and love it when my knee will cooperate. I plan on taking it with me when I travel to Austin mid month.
    :flowerforyou: BirdieM- What good choices you made all through the wedding (wow not even a taste of the dessert) now that is resolve. I think dancing is the best fun and exercise.
    :flowerforyou: Becky-Congratulations on being so close to your goal.
    :flowerforyou: Doobiedoo-I didn’t make my goals for September either but like you said I am looking forward to a good month.
    :flowerforyou: Mary- I understand that struggle of not being able to exercise (or even walk) I admire your first things first approach. Knowing it isn’t forever helped me get through the hard times with my knee problems and surgery. I am glad you found a solution to your difficulty.
    :flowerforyou: Barbie-Sounds like you did great. You made good choices and enjoyed your new dress and the fruits of all your hard work. Your steady progress is an inspiration to me. Thank you and I am wearing smaller pants than I was a month ago!
    :flowerforyou: Barb- My doggies are my little angles that keep me moving. The boys (I have 3 boy dogs) just want to have fun. We have a doggie play date today with my friend and her dog. She is visiting from Chico and we will all meet at the dog friendly playground for a leash free romp.

Happy Sunday to everyone,
    Lianne:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    SuzyQ- Thanks for the reminder of reasons to drink a lot of water! I'm going to go drink a glass right now.

All with health issues - Hang in there. Things will get better and good luck with tests, PT, etc. You will succeed.

All those eating out - I hope you enjoyed your outings and don't get too depressed when you record the calories of those commercial meals. We are here to change our lifes and learning to eat out is one of the battles we all will face going through life these days.

We went to the Albuquerque Balloon fiesta today. It was fantastic. As a local, I don't go that often any more and try to avoid the crowds it brings to town.

That's about all I've got time for. My family is still in town for my Dad's 90th and I hope to have a recent picture up soon.

Good luck today everyone,

Jeannie
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe today. I don't know if y'all saw it but I thought it was really tasty:

Sweet Potato Turkey Meatloaf

* 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    * 1 pound ground turkey breast
    * 1 large egg
    * 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
    * 2 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
    * 1/4 cup ketchup
    * 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    * 2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
    * 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    * 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish.
    2. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potato, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, and mash or whip until smooth.
    3. Mix the ground turkey together with the egg, sweet onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Dijon mustard, and whole wheat bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the sweet potatoes, and stir until evenly combined. If the mixture seems too wet, add more bread crumbs. Use your hands to form the turkey mixture into a loaf shape and place in the prepared baking dish.
    4. Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour. Slice the loaf to serve. {Serves 4)

Nutritional Information
    Sweet Potato-Turkey Meatloaf

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 336

* Total Fat: 2.7g
    * Cholesterol: 123mg
    * Sodium: 2478mg
    * Total Carbs: 43g
    * Dietary Fiber: 5.3g
    * Protein: 33.8g