Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I am a caffeine junkie, and I swear, all those diet sodas in some way wreak havoc with my blood sugar and create hunger. Has anyone else experienced this with diet drinks? Also, how important is it to consume 8 glasses of water daily? :ohwell:

Welcome to our over 50 thread. :flowerforyou:

As a former caffeine junkie I can agree that diet drinks make me feel hungrier too. Now all I drink on a daily basis is unsweetened tea or water. (I DO still have an occasional diet soda, but this is the exception now, rather than the norm.)

As for your question on water, most nutritional experts agree that even 8 glasses of water a day MAY not be enough. Instead they say you should drink half of your weight in ounces per day. For example if you weight 100 pounds, you need to drink at least 50 ounces of water per day.

:drinker: Here are 8 really good reason to drink LOTS of water:

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. (When you're trying to lose, the LAST thing you want is a slower metabolism.)

4. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

5. Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

WOW! Although I am a big water drinker, I never knew about some of those benefits! Thanks Susan! And heres to drinking more water!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    About the recipe I thought it was really good. it was posted the other day but I did find out that the salt is only 1 teaspoon and not a tablespoon. So if you decide you want to fix it edit that salt amount.

Cindy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Cindy--

If you discover something in your post that needs to be changed, you have access for about 20 minutes after the original post to choose the "edit' button and correct it. That is why you will notice some posts where it will say "edited by" and the name of the orginal poster will follow, with the time of the edit.

This can be handy for those of us that are "typographically challenged":laugh:

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie: Isn't it great to feel good in your clothes??? Although I still have quite a way to go, the outfit I wore to the wedding made me feel beautiful too!!!
    I keep thinking of the quote you have on your profile that says "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want MOST .........for what they want at the MOMENT!" I think of that when I'm tempted! This temporary and fleeting pleasure for a profoundly super goal that will impact so many areas of my life???.....and the choice becomes easier! I put that quote on my microwave and even my husband thought it quite profound:flowerforyou: Thank you for the insight!

I got on the treadmill today for the first time since Sept 20th and did 40 min:happy: Feels good to get back into a routine.:flowerforyou: Yesterday I kept to the calories I commited to as well as drinking plenty of water, so I'm hoping not to get too behind on the losing trend:tongue:

I have a birthday party to go to tonight! DOES IT EVER END??:noway: I'm leaving plenty of calories for the meal and won't have the cake or any alcohol. I should be okay!

:flowerforyou: Lianne hang in there! As long as there's progress....there's success!

To all you doggie lovers....did you know that they sell "snuggies" for dogs? It was so funny to see a dog sitting on the couch with the rest of the family and they all were wearing snuggies:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I wonder if they work?:laugh:
    Have a great day all and welcome to the newcomers!
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Suzzeque-

Thanks for the great post about water. Amazing stuff that H2O.

Lianne--

I sometimes hit the doggy park with my two. If you read the post I did from the beginning of the week, you will see why I don't do it too often!! Between Mai Li--whose idea of "working out at the doggy park" is parking her bones in the nearest shady spot and ignoring everyone, and Pepper--who becomes the most contrary little cuss, won't obey ANYTHING mama says, and goes out of his way to try to escape until it is time to leave and has to be dragged out--it is no wonder I don't hit the doggie park too often. :laugh: :laugh: We seem to do better walking on leash for exercise. I do fine walking "off leash" (by myself) :laugh: :laugh:

I am posting to avoid doing housework, so I better get off of here and do something even if it is wrong!!:laugh:

Barb
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Quick post: Did my Half Marathon and finished in 2:11!!! (Unofficial time)

I'm so excited. I figured it would take me 2:20 to 2:30. I ran it faster than any 5k I've done, as part of a triathlon or stand-alone. I attribute this to Crossfit Endurance, a new training system I've been using for a couple of weeks.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Barb! I'm not too good at using the computer. I had to get my 25 yr old son to help me get my weight loss ticker to show up. He says now I need to post a pic because people don't trust you very much if you don't. Is that true?

I told him I tried to do it the other day but couldn't figure out how to import one from my files. He'll have to help me with that too! He just loves to tease me about it.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Barb! I'm not too good at using the computer. I had to get my 25 yr old son to help me get my weight loss ticker to show up. He says now I need to post a pic because people don't trust you very much if you don't. Is that true?

I told him I tried to do it the other day but couldn't figure out how to import one from my files. He'll have to help me with that too! He just loves to tease me about it.

Cindy,

Your son is confusing online dating protocol with MFP:laugh: :laugh: I have been on here since April and still don't have any of my own pics posted. There is one of me hiding in the pics that Grammymax AKA Esther has on her profile, but I don't have any photos of myself on my pc.

Believe it or not, I DON"T resemble a Lhasa Apso with a stuffed banana toy in her mouth!!:laugh: :laugh:..despite what my avatar shows. You will find lots of posters on this site who have been around for a long time that don't have their own photo as an avatar or in their profile photos. It is a personal choice, and no one will judge you negatively if you choose not to post photos of yourself. You can, however, post a picture of something else.

I thought of trying to post instructions to add a photo, but if you are not real comfortable on your pc, I would probably create more problems for you than I would solve. Besides, this will give your son an opportunity to do something good for his mom and that is NEVER a bad idea, right?:flowerforyou:

BTW, Lianne,

You were posting when I did my last post, so I didn't see it 'til now. SNUGGIES for dogs???:noway: Now I HAVE heard everything!!!:laugh: :laugh: If there is a website with this picture you mention, I would love for you to post the link.

What I haven't figured out is, how do you keep the dog IN the Snuggie? Pepper would last about 5 seconds and he would be jumping out of it!!! Since Mai Li absolutely refuses to allow herself to be covered up if she is in bed with me, I am not sure how it would work for her, but maybe other dogs, ("normal" :noway: dogs" if they exist:laugh: ) might appreciate it. I know Dreyfus, my late Shih tzu loved to be snuggled in a blankie, so anything is possible, just not with my present "herd," but I guess dogs come in "packs" like beer, don't they?:laugh: Compared to beer, my two are certainly more co$tly!!:laugh: Just realized once Bradley the Yorkie arrives I am halfway to a six-pack!!!:noway: :laugh:

I actually accomplished some laundry today, and it looks like i am going to have dinner tonight with a friend of mine who recently joined MFP, but she is the invisible woman, not a thread poster so far.

Have a good evening all.

Barb
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am a caffeine junkie, and I swear, all those diet sodas in some way wreak havoc with my blood sugar and create hunger. Has anyone else experienced this with diet drinks? Also, how important is it to consume 8 glasses of water daily? :ohwell:

As a former caffeine junkie I can agree that diet drinks make me feel hungrier too. Now all I drink on a daily basis is unsweetened tea or water. (I DO still have an occasional diet soda, but this is the exception now, rather than the norm.)

As for your question on water, most nutritional experts agree that even 8 glasses of water a day MAY not be enough. Instead they say you should drink half of your weight in ounces per day. For example if you weight 100 pounds, you need to drink at least 50 ounces of water per day.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%. (When you're trying to lose, the LAST thing you want is a slower metabolism.)

4. One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Suezzzque,

This was very informative, thanks for the great post! Peschuntz
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Suezzzque,

This was very informative, thanks for the great post! Peschuntz
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I haven't posted in a couple of months. The last couple of months have been terrible. :grumble: Budget season hit at work - with unbelievable demands and since I got my garden planted late everything came in during August and September when I was working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

After I presented the budgets in Atlanta (my husband usually goes with me on my trips) I drove down to Orlando to visit our daughters:smile: for a few days and wound up working the whole time:frown: so it really wasn't much of a vacation but at least we got to see them.

My wonderful neighbor took care of the garden while we were gone and canned me 12 quarts of tomatoes and froze a gallon of okra for me.:smile: When we got back I canned 24 pints of pickled beets and 12 pints of carrots and shared with her. We try to take care of each other. :happy: My diet pretty much went out the window for the last two months :embarassed: :embarassed: - I have lived on M & M's and coffee. Since budget presentations we have had to revise them about 5 times and all of the supporting schedules with very short deadlines. Twice I've had to work until 3 in the morning to meet the deadlines. Still canning tomatoes, peppers and making relish.

I have been exhausted and wound up with Shingles - very painful.:sick: I worked from home for four days because they were on my waist and back which made it very difficult to wear regular clothes. As long as I have an internet connection I can work from anywhere in the world so it was nice that I could work in my gown. Hopefully we won't have to revise the budgets again then we get to start on doing the standard cost. Yea:frown: I still haven't recovered fully, but I did go back to work last week with it being the end of the month. A lot to do and of course short deadlines. I had to work yesterday so I can meet the 11:00 a.m. deadline tomorrow.

I am planning on taking two weeks off at Christmas can't wait:bigsmile: . I am going to try to behave myself this month and try to drink more water:drinker: and eat healthier:smile: . I'm still dragging and know I just need some rest both mentally and physically. It's been cool and rainy here today. I made a pot of vegetable soup and basically haven't done much of anything else since I got home from church.

Good luck to everyone on their goals this month!

Nancy
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Quick post: Did my Half Marathon and finished in 2:11!!! (Unofficial time)

I'm so excited. I figured it would take me 2:20 to 2:30. I ran it faster than any 5k I've done, as part of a triathlon or stand-alone. I attribute this to Crossfit Endurance, a new training system I've been using for a couple of weeks.
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations I knew you could do it. I have been "Wogging" jogging a block, walking a block, jogging a block, walking a block etc.etc.etc. I tried to jog more that I walked last week and put a strain on my hip.:frown: So back to walking for me. I envy you. You are such an inspiration, Rosemary
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Grammymax,
    Thanks for the welcome. I had a very tough time yesterday, especially when my husband and daughter were eating hallowoween candy (yes, there won't be any left for halloween). After I couldn't stand it any longer I ate one reece's cup and left the room. I knew if I stayed in there with them I'd do my share of polishing off and entire bag.
    Today I went to a baby shower. I passed up the chicken salad croissants, nachos and cheese, cream cheese dip with crackers and potato chips. I ate a small plate of raw veggies with maybe 2 TBS of ranch dip and a small piece of strawberry cake, with icing of course. Only had water and coffee to drink. This evening, and for the next couple of days I will be out of town (away from my candy eating family). For dinner I had a large salad and 5 slices of deli turkey. If all goes well, that will be all I have for today. That one piece of cake threw me over my calorie limit by 55. Hopefully, by the time I get back home I will have mustered up enough will power to be able to stay in the same room if someone is eating sweets. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
    Thanks for your support.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good Evening everyone. Did alot of exercising and gardening this weekend:happy: but my eating was a LITTLE over the top.:ohwell: Had a 730 calorie breakfast....ouch.:noway: Creamed Chipped Beef (low sodium and skim milk) Grands biscuits and bacon. Back to slim fast for breakfast tomorrow. I am exhausted. Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday. Stay safe and stay focused.( I know I need to practice what I preach) It is so hard living with my husband.:devil: He doesn't think about what he eats and I don't have the will power I need to resist eating what I cook for him. .:frown:
    As always, remember to drink:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: That water, Rosemary
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Welcomd back nancy,
    Sorry your time has been so bad. My mom had shingles and I know how painful it is. It is also aggravated by stress so your job doesn't help much. Hope things settle down for you so you can get back on track. If you dont mind me asking what do you do as your job. Good night ladies.
    Vicki M
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Vickie,

I am a Division Controller responsible for 3 plants with additional responsibility for Fixed Assets, Capital Spending and Billing for 5 more plants. A little stressful.
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hello,

Anyone there? I've been off line for a week. I feel so deprived of my motivational partners. I thought I did well, but got on the scale and am up 5 to 7 pounds. I figure some of it is water but don't know. I do know I've been really active and thougth I was burning stuff off. My big mistake.

I don't know why I do so well and then relax and try to act and eat normal and gain it all back in a weekend. This has been going on for years.

My goal was a great loose for my birthday. Now I am stuck. I've got 6 weeks to do something encouraging. God Help me, kc
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Wow I think this is the busiest posting weekend I have seen or read. I have been working in Chicago for the weekend, and just got back.

The water information is invaluable, thank you.

I am so sorry to read about all of us who are suffering, and so impressed by your positive attitudes.

Happy to read the posts from all the new members, this is a great group of dedicated and positive people. Welcome!

I have not weighed my self this week and am going to try to pay less attention to my scale. Although I was at a fall festival all weekend I ate very well and stayed within my calories, and I drank gallons of water. It amazes me that there are so few carb light healthy choices at so many places. The resturant at this event had no fresh veggies and no salads at all. It's a harvest festival!

The drive home after a full days work was to long, actually only 3.5 hours, but seems to take forever.
    The biggest problem is being constantly on the lookout for deer as they are thick here and such a hazard for night driving.

I hope you all have a productive and fruitful week.

Good Night All Alice
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    We are home safely and glad to be here. It's quiet because the four pets can't be picked up from boarding until tomorrow and chaotic because of unpacking, doing laundry, and trying to get Jake packed to fly to see his mother in Ohio tomorrow.

I had high hopes of a long post but it got much too late too early:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I did watch TV and ride the exercise bike :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

hugs:heart:
    Barbie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!:flowerforyou:

This is a GREAT Sunday night for two reasons. First, I don't have to get up at 4 am!! :drinker: I no longer start work at 5 am:drinker: :drinker: Secondly, I DON'T have to go to WORK AT ALL on Monday--as it is now one of my days off!!:drinker: :drinker:

My dinner with a friend evaporated when I spoke with her just before I started my walk. She overdid it with an exercise video this morning and decided the best thing for her to do after finishing some work in her office was to go home and crash. I can't blame her. She has been under a lot of stress and not sleeping well.

So I started my walk about 5:45p and by the time I finished at 7:30, it was dark and I had covered 5 miles!!!:noway: I headed from the walking trail to the grocery store and bought fruits and veggies for the week. then I came home and made a nice big salad for dinner.

Between the walk with doggies this morning and my walk tonight, I burned over 700 calories, which I couldn't begin to eat so maybe it makes up for some of the "overages" of the past couple of weeks.

Nancy, it is good to see you back. Hearing what you have been up against makes me glad that my job is by comparison low stress. I hope you can get through everything and get healthy. Shingles, yuck!! I don't know if you can prevent further outbreaks by getting the vaccine, but it would certainly be worth checking out. Good luck!!

Barbiecat, Welcome home!! I know it will seem a little quiet tonight without the critters in the house when you go to bed. Enjoy it!!:laugh: I know you will be glad to get everyone home.

Have a great week everyone!!

Barb