Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Does anybody besides me ever wonder why some days exercise is so difficult and then others its like you can't do it soon enough or hard enough? Both yesterday and today I had to FORCE myself to finish and both times I felt like I needed a nap afterwards. Seeing as how I exercise first thing, that's not good! I was so very thankful for that massage yesterday afternoon!

My masseuse is also a personal trainer and he has a physical therapy background too, so when he tells me something I usually pay attention. Many of you may already know this, but I didn't:

"Jogging is like a massage for your internal organs. "

He's so proud of me for getting to the point I can run/walk instead of just walking. Maybe someday I'll be able to do all jogging. He also told me I should replace my walking/running shoes every 3 months. Didn't know that either....

I have a busy week ahead getting ready to get out of town next week. At least exercise is out of the way today.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Quick post: Did my Half Marathon and finished in 2:11!!! (Unofficial time)

I'm so excited. I figured it would take me 2:20 to 2:30. I ran it faster than any 5k I've done, as part of a triathlon or stand-alone. I attribute this to Crossfit Endurance, a new training system I've been using for a couple of weeks.

Congratualtions!!You sre a winner!!!:flowerforyou:
    Birdie:happy:
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I haven't posted in a couple of months. The last couple of months have been terrible. :grumble: Budget season hit at work - with unbelievable demands and since I got my garden planted late everything came in during August and September when I was working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

After I presented the budgets in Atlanta (my husband usually goes with me on my trips) I drove down to Orlando to visit our daughters:smile: for a few days and wound up working the whole time:frown: so it really wasn't much of a vacation but at least we got to see them.

My wonderful neighbor took care of the garden while we were gone and canned me 12 quarts of tomatoes and froze a gallon of okra for me.:smile: When we got back I canned 24 pints of pickled beets and 12 pints of carrots and shared with her. We try to take care of each other. :happy: My diet pretty much went out the window for the last two months :embarassed: :embarassed: - I have lived on M & M's and coffee. Since budget presentations we have had to revise them about 5 times and all of the supporting schedules with very short deadlines. Twice I've had to work until 3 in the morning to meet the deadlines. Still canning tomatoes, peppers and making relish.

I have been exhausted and wound up with Shingles - very painful.:sick: I worked from home for four days because they were on my waist and back which made it very difficult to wear regular clothes. As long as I have an internet connection I can work from anywhere in the world so it was nice that I could work in my gown. Hopefully we won't have to revise the budgets again then we get to start on doing the standard cost. Yea:frown: I still haven't recovered fully, but I did go back to work last week with it being the end of the month. A lot to do and of course short deadlines. I had to work yesterday so I can meet the 11:00 a.m. deadline tomorrow.

I am planning on taking two weeks off at Christmas can't wait:bigsmile: . I am going to try to behave myself this month and try to drink more water:drinker: and eat healthier:smile: . I'm still dragging and know I just need some rest both mentally and physically. It's been cool and rainy here today. I made a pot of vegetable soup and basically haven't done much of anything else since I got home from church.

Good luck to everyone on their goals this month!

Nancy

My goodness Nancy, hang in there. My father had shingles and said it was the most painful thing he ver experienced!:noway: Be good to yourself and don't lose hope! We're here for you:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:happy:
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi Everyone! :flowerforyou:
    Lots of new folks - fabulous - it is always great to hear the stories - helps us all know we are not alone and that together all things are possible! :smile: :smile:

I have been off-line a lot and October is not looking too good in terms of time - work stuff mostly. Did not meet my September goals but did have a great and restful vacation so I am very happy about that!

Have found out I have fibromyalgia - not great news but I figure it could be worse - sure helps explain why I felt so sore all the time - was driving me nuts! Exercise is one of the things that seems to help so although I am a natureal couch potato I think doing the Walk will be part of my dialy routine!

working in keeping the calories down - so much of eating is habit - frustrates me often!!

Take care everyone!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Heather [the other Heather from Ontario :laugh:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thank you.

I don't know what to do. I want to not be obsessed with food but I guess I need a plan too. Any ideas of how I can be obedient and not obsessed?

I will take any and all ideas. Today I have commited to take good care of myself and head toward weight loss. I want to lose weight for my bday and beyond. I really like reading and writing to all of you. Thanks, kc
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Well so far the sun is shining here. I dropped girls off at preschool and went to the gym. I burned over 1000 calories according to my HRM. I will weight myself on Friday. I has been a few weeks and I have been doing everything right so hopefully I will have a good number.
    Susie I dont know the right answer to your question but I have a theory. I do the same thing. I think our bodies know what they are doing. I think sometimes we need to let our bodies rest and we just keep pusing. Or could be something you are eating that drags you down. Just theories. Have a good day. ladies.
    Vicki M
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Took the kids to school and then went for a mile walk.

Suezzzque, I have a theory that when I have to push, my body is either one of two things. it needs to rest and I need to make sure I am eating right and getting enough sleep. The other thing is that it is going through a change and releasing weight and water.

For me, I know the answer is that I have not stayed on my food program and my blood sugars are high. When they are running a bit high, I am dragging. When I eat right, I have tons of energy. Right for me is no sugar and very measured carbs. No bread. My carbs need to be clean.

Hope this helps. All things are possible through Christ who strengthens me.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thank you.

I don't know what to do. I want to not be obsessed with food but I guess I need a plan too. Any ideas of how I can be obedient and not obsessed?

I will take any and all ideas. Today I have commited to take good care of myself and head toward weight loss. I want to lose weight for my bday and beyond. I really like reading and writing to all of you. Thanks, kc

Hi kc, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I have been inspired by two friends who joined those anonymous food addict programs. They found food plans that work for them and they stick to the plan no matter what. They bring their own food to potlucks and never buy the catered meal at an event. From them I learned to plan (and post) my food ahead of time and stick to the plan. I made a rule for myself that I won't accept any food that is offered to me not matter how benign (grapes, celery, etc). I made the decision to stop entertaining myself with food and to seek ways to get together with friends in ways that don't include food. I make sure my day has time set aside for meal planning in the same way I set aside time for prayer, personal hygiene, sleep, and interacting with loved ones. Everything I do well today, I learned one little piece at a time. Some days it is easier than others but I refuse to give up. Most of what I learned, I learned from reading posts on MFP and the rest I learned by being open minded to new ideas and seeking information wherever I go. Staying away from sugar, artificial sweeteners, white flour, and caffeine has made a huge difference. I think you've figured that out.

Never, never, never give up.
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Look at my ticker, look at my ticker, look at my ticker! I weighed this morning, and yes, I met my September goal of 8 punds! I'm so excited! Now join me in praying that my hip has improved enough that I get released from PT today.
    Have a marvelous Monday!

:flowerforyou: Congratulations Mary! That ticker is sure looking impressive! :bigsmile: Keep up the good work and I hope all goes well with your knees!
    Birdie:bigsmile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm down too but I'm not changing my ticker. I think it's just water weight because of my Half Marathon yesterday.
    Yep, it was water weight. I'm back where I want to be.
    my husband (who has a second job working with hazardous materials) avoided getting blown to bits on Saturday.
    Um, yeah? :tongue: (Sounds scary.)

I find the two things that help me are to write everything down and to weigh myself every day. If I go over 114, I cut back for a few days and, if I go under 110, I eat more.

I'd love to be able to just eat when I felt like it and have it all work out, but I don't think I'm there yet and I accept that I might never be.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hello everyone

Congratulations to all for your victories - be they weight loss victories or other, equally important Non-Scale Victories. Some pretty small clothes being purchased - You go girls!!!

I am headed back down on the scale but perhaps back up on the blood pressure:laugh: Never a dull moment in my life - that's for sure.

Busy at work and busy at home and busy with kids - you get the picture! Canadian Thankgiving is this Monday and I'm having company from out of town. BIL AND SIL coming from Alberta. It will be great to see them but I think I'm heading for overload!! It seems harder to get my home "in-law" clean than just normal clean:laugh:

I bought these little things for my shoes called 'heel halos' They are little gel things that sit in the back of your shoe and have a hole in the middle (hence the name) and are meant to relieve the pressure of heel spurs. It has gotten to the point for me that I feel every step in the pit of my stomach. Here's hoping they work for me and I can get back to walking without pain :drinker:

Gotta run

Take care my friends

Heather
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Barbie, thank you.

Kc Glad to see you back posting.:happy: Along with Barbie's ideas I also would like to say some things that work for me.:happy:

:happy: #1. I make it an absolute priority to have foods in the house that I can eat, especially standby's like vegetables, fruits, hummus, almonds etc. that I can always make a meal around when I don't have time to plan. But I agree with Barbie about making it a priority TO plan.

:tongue: #2. I don't keep anything in the house that is an especially tempting food. Although I live with my daughter and husband, I have found that there are some foods that they will like just as much as my tempting foods without making them suffer and/or me nuts!

:angry: #3. I put food in its place. It's a momentary pleasure that has a lifetime of consequences. The minute I start thinking about food, I get busy doing something else, like posting or housework, or I take a walk or talk to other guests at a party etc.

:smile: #4. I remind myself that before anything passes my lips, it first starts in my head, so instead of being afraid of food, I'm far more conscious about what's going on in my head and I stop the nonsense before it gets down to my fingertips and into my mouth!

:flowerforyou: #5. I picture, in my mind, what I want to look like, which is a healthy, strong, disciplined and slim woman. I ask.....Would SHE be interested in eating the things I'm thinking about eating or binging on?? NO!
    So I choose with every food thought, the slim me.... rather than a bite of something that's going to keep me in a body I'm unhappy in.

:blushing: #6. I let go and let God! When I have a good day, I thank God for His grace to get through that 24 hrs and the next morning I give it to God again for another 24 hours. We can do anything for 24 hrs. that we couldn't possibly do if we are looking at it as a task for a lifetime. Just 24 hrs! YOU CAN DO IT!

:wink: I would forget about doing it for your BD, and concentrate on doing it for today!!

BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The last couple of days I have been drinking lots of water (a direct influence of this thread) while simultaneously lowering the amount of soda & artificial sweetners I consume. I must tell you that I am accustomed to drinking so many caffeinated diet drinks, that whereever I went and whatever I did, it was a sure bet I'd need to find a ladies room. Also, I want to share something else I am excited about . . . I'm reading a wonderful book entitled "100 Best Weight Loss Tips." I have read so many books on weight loss, but this one truly stand out. Turns out the author is a practicing physician in my city, in fact, in my neighborhood! I have made an appointment for Thursday and will print my diet & exercise regimen and see if he can fine-tune everything. While I haven't been posting that long on this site, I must say, I'd feel lost without it. What about you?:flowerforyou:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all. I don't know what is wrong with me. The last couple of evenings I have been exhausted.:yawn: I'm fine during the day. As soon as the sun goes down (which is about 7 these days) I start yawning,:yawn: my eyes start watering and I can't keep my eyes open. :sick: I haven't been able to weigh in because my scale keeps resding error and the one at work says 149 lbs (which I know is a complete lie) :noway: So guess I will have to get a new scale. Going to bed now.....zzzzzzzzzz Everyone have a safe and blessed Wednesday, Rosemary
    And Oh Yeah :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: That water
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all. I don't know what is wrong with me. The last couple of evenings I have been exhausted.:yawn: I'm fine during the day. As soon as the sun goes down (which is about 7 these days) I start yawning,:yawn: my eyes start watering and I can't keep my eyes open. :sick: I haven't been able to weigh in because my scale keeps resding error and the one at work says 149 lbs (which I know is a complete lie) :noway: So guess I will have to get a new scale. Going to bed now.....zzzzzzzzzz Everyone have a safe and blessed Wednesday, Rosemary
    And Oh Yeah :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: That water

DON"T buy a new scale just yet. If your scale is digital, chances are it has a BATTERY. When the battery gets low on my scale "error" is what you get until you put a new one in. I hope you have a chance to check out this possibility before you go buy a new scale you may not need!!:laugh:

As far as the exhaustion thing, take a look at your food diary and make sure you are getting enough protein. I know when my food for the day is lower in protein, I tend to get tired more easily.

Good luck!!

Barb
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning All:smile: : Finally found a scale that works....we have a chair scale at work and I used that one. You have to have someone behind you to read it so I hope they weren't just being nice:laugh: another lb. (finally 40 lbs :drinker:)
    :heart: Good morning Barb....the very first thing I did was put in a new battery, I couldn't be so lucky:angry: still reading error. I even waited a few hours thinking it just needed to readjust with the new battery in place:noway: but to no avail. So, Walmart here I come.:ohwell:
    :huh: I probably won't post tonight. My daughter won tickets to 'Sesame Street Live' at the civic center for tonight and she invited me to go with her, Jason and Matthew. I have to go home pick up Jason and Matthew and meet Malisa in Salisbury at 5:30. The show doesn't start until 7. They informed me last night we are going to Red Lobster for dinner. :tongue: I looked up Red Lobster on the food list and I am going to have a nice salad and grilled fish. I will still be below my calories for the day. I am going to do my mile walk at lunch but I probaly won't have time to exercise tonight though. Gotta get to work. Everyone have a great day, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hubby went to work early this morning, so here I am alone with the dog. Pretty unusual for this time of day, and I find myself not wanting to get around and get ready for work.
    I have a busy evening today - potluck dinner at church, and then bell choir and choir practice. I have learned to talk more and eat less at church dinners, so they aren't stressful for me.
    Everyone have a wonderful Wednesday!
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: After making a mess of September and deciding that October was going to be a good month for weight loss, I have bombed it so far. :grumble: It seems, as has been the case through the years, that when I really dig in and decide that I'm going to be serious I eat things that I hadn't planned on eating and don't necessarily even want.:noway: If I can just get back on track, I'll be okay.
  • Loving2014
    Options
    I was on a message board of daily gratitude. And it was really wonderful to read all the posts. I am over 50 and thought I would post what I am grateful for here each time I log on. I think it becomes easy to focus on what is not right. But in my weight loss journey I have found that focusing on what I am grateful for helps me to keep a better attitude towards my weight loss.
    One key thing I have found is that I do blow it from time to time. But the difference now is that when I blow it one day or two days, I just jump back on and stay within my calories. It did not take one or two days of bad choices to put on 40 pounds. So I have made a decision to always jump right back on, and the result is that my weight loss has continued. Not there yet...but I am not back tracking.

I am grateful for:
    :flowerforyou: This site that gives me guidelines
    :heart: My husband who loves me nomatter what weight I am.
    :heart: My kids who are healthy and strong.
    :heart: My home that is comfortable.
    :flowerforyou: God, who is very patient.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hi Robinia,
    Welcome to the 50+ Women thread. This is the greatest group. Thank you for posting your gratitude list. A few years ago when my life was at a very low point, someone suggested that I start my day with a gratitude list. I've been doing that ever since and you are right that it keeps me focused on the right things and improves my attitude.

It helps me to read and post every day to be always in the company of people who have health and fitness as their goals and who will applaud my successes and encourage me when I falter.
    Barbie :drinker: :drinker: