guns or no guns?

Options

Replies

• mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wishing violence away and for a more "evolved" citizenry is living in a fantasy world. Wake up! Human nature has not changed at all over thousands of years when it comes to committing violence. It's not going to change no matter how much you wish it would. Thinking otherwise is just foolishness.

Someone asked how a person could live with themselves after shooting someone that broke into their house. If they didn't shoot, maybe they wouldn't be alive to have to worry about their conscience. If someone wants to kill a person or kill a lot of people, they will figure out how do it regardless of the laws in place to protect people.

Crime rates where guns are outlawed are much higher than where they are legal. Parts of the US with concealed carry laws have much lower violent crime rates that areas that don't permit it. Violent criminals strongly support strict gun laws. Guns are an occupational hazard for them.

Just because you have not yet been a victim of a violent crime doesn't mean it will not happen to you or your family. Legally owned guns just level the playing field and give the prepared law-abiding citizen a fighting chance to survive until help arrives.

Apparently in England and Canada, people are just expected to tolerate their victimhood and do nothing about it. That's not how we roll in Texas.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    To the people saying the Batman tradgedy would have turned out differently if someone had a gun on them, I think you're living in a movie. Seriously. This is real life, NOT a movie.

Like someone would have saved the day and shot him down, and all would have been okay. Oh, really?

How about, if his LEGALLY OBTAINED guns didn't exist or weren't sold to him, those people wouldn't have been killed, least not by bullets.

If you've got a way to un-invent firearms and make them all disappear from the planet, by all means, use it. This is real life, not a movie.
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    pro-gun
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Pro.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Well...unless you're this guy:
    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/07/20120721-160820.html

derpa derp.

Restricting laws so that bullets or hand guns are banned isn't going to stop gun violence.
    How many guns do you think are actually registered to the idiot gang members that are shooting up malls?
    They're acquired illegally most likely.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    VERY PRO-GUN.....

Our founding fathers didn't use free speech to repel the British...They shot them.
  • elmarko123
    elmarko123 Posts: 89
    Options
    Wishing violence away and for a more "evolved" citizenry is living in a fantasy world. Wake up! Human nature has not changed at all over thousands of years when it comes to committing violence. It's not going to change no matter how much you wish it would. Thinking otherwise is just foolishness.

Someone asked how a person could live with themselves after shooting someone that broke into their house. If they didn't shoot, maybe they wouldn't be alive to have to worry about their conscience. If someone wants to kill a person or kill a lot of people, they will figure out how do it regardless of the laws in place to protect people.

Crime rates where guns are outlawed are much higher than where they are legal. Parts of the US with concealed carry laws have much lower violent crime rates that areas that don't permit it. Violent criminals strongly support strict gun laws. Guns are an occupational hazard for them.

Just because you have not yet been a victim of a violent crime doesn't mean it will not happen to you or your family. Legally owned guns just level the playing field and give the prepared law-abiding citizen a fighting chance to survive until help arrives.

Apparently in England and Canada, people are just expected to tolerate their victimhood and do nothing about it. That's not how we roll in Texas.
    The stats say otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Where I am (NZ), guns are mainly just used for hunters. Locked away safely unless hunting. Its not that common to find people who use them in the handbag or whatever for protection, I don't even know if that's allowed? I know you can have one with a licence but I am not sure of the restrictions.

I haven't been bought up where having a gun is the "norm" thing...or acceptable in the community to have one unless for hunting reasons .

So I am anti gun. I think it depends on what is "normal" for you and your country.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Pro-gun

Blaming guns for people being shot is like blaming mcdonalds for getting fat :wink:

NO ONE here is blaming guns for ppl being shot, this is a very simple argument, along with the "let's ban knives and pencils" jokes
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    To the people saying the Batman tradgedy would have turned out differently if someone had a gun on them, I think you're living in a movie. Seriously. This is real life, NOT a movie.

Like someone would have saved the day and shot him down, and all would have been okay. Oh, really?

How about, if his LEGALLY OBTAINED guns didn't exist or weren't sold to him, those people wouldn't have been killed, least not by bullets.

There are many accounts of people who have thwarted would be attackers/killers based on the ability to carry weapons. Its not a movie, you are right, however with proper training and a CCW this situation could have been toned down to the extent at which people lost their lives.

Wishing guns dont exist is like wishing Unicorns were real. Its fairy tale.

Guns do exist...criminals will ALWAYS have guns. Fact.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Anti Guns.

Pro Evolution to a more civilized society, where people do not use guns on one another.

You realize that isn't why 99.9 percent of people own guns, right?
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    What if a private citizen in the Aurora movie theatre was armed with a gun and started shooting back and adding to the chaos? How do law enforcement sort criminals from those just joining in because they have the right to bear arms?

The numbers change. That's what happens. Colorado witnessed that scenario a few years ago: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14808321/detail.html
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Pro POV gun

for all you hitchhikers guide fans!
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options

You can't be serious. So you think that if James Holmes had been unable to buy his weapons at Bass Pro that he just would have said "well, maybe I won't commit this heinous crime after all. Probably going to be too much effort to find guns". Please. He just would have paid more and gotten even wilder ones from the underground dealers. He planned this for several years. You are being really naive.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

The stats say otherwise.

The majority of them are drug related, not gun related. Misleading.
  • elmarko123
    Options

There are many accounts of people who have thwarted would be attackers/killers based on the ability to carry weapons. Its not a movie, you are right, however with proper training and a CCW this situation could have been toned down to the extent at which people lost their lives.

Wishing guns dont exist is like wishing Unicorns were real. Its fairy tale.

Guns do exist...criminals will ALWAYS have guns. Fact.
    I've got an idea, how about you do some research on comparative crime rates in nations which don't have legal gun ownership then get back to me.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

It's not quite that simple, but you're closer to the truth than I would like. Self-defense / weapons laws in Canada are insane. Even if someone has already introduced deadly force, if I were to pull, say, a Swiss-Army knife out of my pocket (perfectly legal tool to carry around, even "concealed"), use it in self-defense and the other guy died, I'd probably go to prison for some sort of murder and weapons-related charges.

It's one of the reasons I've decided to make martial arts training part of my fitness program now. It'll take years, and still never be as effective as if I could just use a pistol, but at least I'll be doing something to improve our chances of survival, should the worst happen.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Pro-Gun, signed a pistol packin' momma
  • elmarko123
    Options

The stats say otherwise.

The majority of them are drug related, not gun related. Misleading.

How about this one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

US Average - 2.84 per 100,000.

Texas - 3.14. per 100,000
    Washington - 1.38 per 100,000
    New York - 2.64.per 100,00

UK - 0.07 per 100,000.

Care to admit you are totally wrong?
  • Rowlsty
    Rowlsty Posts: 20
    Options
    Pro.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Well...unless you're this guy:
    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/07/20120721-160820.html

derpa derp.

Restricting laws so that bullets or hand guns are banned isn't going to stop gun violence.
    How many guns do you think are actually registered to the idiot gang members that are shooting up malls?
    They're acquired illegally most likely.

This^^.

Pro-gun Libertarian here.
    Being anti-gun is to give the government a monopoly on the usage of guns.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people! PRO-GUN!!