guns or no guns?

Options

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    The problem with folks who want to ban guns - as its already been said - guns do not kill people, it is just the tool used to accomplish what the intent was. That is like blaming the fork for making a person fat. So are you going to ban forks? shoot might as well add spoons, plates, cups, etc.

I had this debate on my FB page - and people do not get that theaters do not allow guns in there, so any person in there was doing right by NOT having their weapon on them, because they were following the law. Making gun laws on infringes upon law abiding citizens, it will not stop a crack head on the corner from getting one. There is always a way around it somehow.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If there were no guns how would my family bond? And one person in that theater with a gun could have stopped that sicko before that many people died.

Not necessarily... unless the person was an incredibly good shot... because the psycho was wearing a bullet proof vest and a riot helmet....

Do you think said madman focusing on one person, instead of randomly shooting into a crowd of 150 is better or worse of a situation?

Also, regardless of body armor...taking a pistol round will hurt/break ribs/knock wind out ect. Body armor does not make you invincible.

I get that... and I agree... but I don't think the other shooter (if one was around because seriously, who thinks, "Man, I better take my gun to the movies... there might be some psycho shooting up the place tonight!") would have been able to take him out as many seem to suggest... even if he was a good shot, there would be high risk for collateral damage, with people trying to escape.

Had this discussion with people at work. They know I train- extensively- in tactical shooting and they all said "Too bad you were not there- you could have stopped it" I told them nope- I would not have taken a shot- they all went :noway: and asked why not. The reasons was:

First off I am not a cop. I have no duty to protect and defend anyone but myself and my family. During an active shooter situation I am headed in the opposite direction and will engage ONLY if I have no choice (i.e. hes between me and the exit, I am a target, etc). Police are trained to respond with overwhelming force and shoot down an active shooter- I sure as hell dont want to be engaging the threat when the cop or another CCWer sees me, decides I am the threat and guns me down.

As for the Aurora shooter- no one can be condition Red all the time. I would never have expected that attack. Trying to engage this threat in a smoke filled, darkened theater with a strobe effect occuring from the movie still playing, a hundred plus people screaming and running everywhere, others on the ground bleeding out, other people in costume, gunshots muffled by the movie, plus the threat was wearing all black? How do you pick him out of all that in the time you have?

My training for an active shooter is to go for the head or four across the pelvis as many active shooters now wear body armor. This guy owuld have been a bear to bring down- he was wearing armor across the pelvis and a head shot in these conditions would be extremely difficult to make (plus his head was armored on most sides and a gas mask makes going for the head shot even more problematic). Add in the fact that I am a good guy- every bullet that leaves my muzzle has a lawyer attached to it. If I could have stopped the shooter but killed two innocents in the exchange I am looking at prison time and lawsuits. Plus a pistol versus rifle? no contest- I carry a pistol because I am not expecting a gun fight, if I am expecting one I am going for my rifle!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Wishing violence away and for a more "evolved" citizenry is living in a fantasy world. Wake up! Human nature has not changed at all over thousands of years when it comes to committing violence. It's not going to change no matter how much you wish it would. Thinking otherwise is just foolishness.

Someone asked how a person could live with themselves after shooting someone that broke into their house. If they didn't shoot, maybe they wouldn't be alive to have to worry about their conscience. If someone wants to kill a person or kill a lot of people, they will figure out how do it regardless of the laws in place to protect people.

Crime rates where guns are outlawed are much higher than where they are legal. Parts of the US with concealed carry laws have much lower violent crime rates that areas that don't permit it. Violent criminals strongly support strict gun laws. Guns are an occupational hazard for them.

Just because you have not yet been a victim of a violent crime doesn't mean it will not happen to you or your family. Legally owned guns just level the playing field and give the prepared law-abiding citizen a fighting chance to survive until help arrives.

Apparently in England and Canada, people are just expected to tolerate their victimhood and do nothing about it. That's not how we roll in Texas.
    The stats say otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

The majority of them are drug related, not gun related. Misleading.

How about this one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    guns don't kill people. people kill people.

so...pro-gun.

and yes, i am also one of those hippie liberal scum you hear about.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    To the people saying the Batman tradgedy would have turned out differently if someone had a gun on them, I think you're living in a movie. Seriously. This is real life, NOT a movie.

Like someone would have saved the day and shot him down, and all would have been okay. Oh, really?

How about, if his LEGALLY OBTAINED guns didn't exist or weren't sold to him, those people wouldn't have been killed, least not by bullets.

You can't be serious. So you think that if James Holmes had been unable to buy his weapons at Bass Pro that he just would have said "well, maybe I won't commit this heinous crime after all. Probably going to be too much effort to find guns". Please. He just would have paid more and gotten even wilder ones from the underground dealers. He planned this for several years. You are being really naive.

i actually think you are more naive. had he not had easy access he would have gotten less quality and less quantity. and had it taken him longer, may have been caught. when things are more difficult they don't always go as planned, they have to revise their plans. that is why gangsters here have their illegal guns, but they are few and far between and NO ONE is prepared to shoot someone that is being shot in the cross fire. he would have still planned something, probably, but would it be to the extent, the amount of deaths, as quickly as it was? i highly doubt it.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Pro, but make sure you know how to use it
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How many calories in a gun?
  • andrewknightwales
    andrewknightwales Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ...are we talking about biceps?
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    gunyardsignsplash.jpg
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    While it's true that guns dont kill people, people do, guns make it easier for people to do it. They give people a sense of power, and that can become consuming. Making it harder for people to get them will naturally reduce the amount that there are. Sure, crims will always have them, but at least then its only the hardcore crims that will get them, not just your average liquor store robber.

Anti-gun.

Are you an American with common sense or are you from somewhere else?
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Pro-gun
  • CrueChix
    CrueChix Posts: 47
    Options
    like omgz guns kill people!

you clearly have no idea how to play, or read.

but i am assuming you are pro-gun....lol

clearly i DO know how to PLAY.

you are smart!

If guns kill people then spoons make people fat.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    For my US friends that want to understand gun death rates compared to Canada.

All stats are per 100,000 people, per year. This allows for a straight forward comparison:

Murders: US 4.55 Canada 1.58
    Murders by guns: US 2.97 Canada .54 (this is where I get the stat that the US gun death rate is 6x that of Canada)
    Non-gun murder rate: US 1.58 Canada 1.04

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    pro.
    if they're gonna have 'em...why shouldn't i?
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Lol at people happily exclaiming "PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!!"
  • fieldsbean
    fieldsbean Posts: 35
    Options
    PRO GUN PRO PRO PRO PRO
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The problem with folks who want to ban guns - as its already been said - guns do not kill people, it is just the tool used to accomplish what the intent was. That is like blaming the fork for making a person fat. So are you going to ban forks? shoot might as well add spoons, plates, cups, etc.

I had this debate on my FB page - and people do not get that theaters do not allow guns in there, so any person in there was doing right by NOT having their weapon on them, because they were following the law. Making gun laws on infringes upon law abiding citizens, it will not stop a crack head on the corner from getting one. There is always a way around it somehow.

it actually isn't a probably with the folks who want gun control....it is the problem of the people who are pro gun that don't get the idea of gun control

we know that people kill people, we aren't stupid

i am telling you right now that it would not have happened to the extent that it did had guns been in more control over there. our shootings in canada are, mostly, gang related with illegal firearms and seldom hit the person that is being shot at, but this **** happens anyway anywhere.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    NEW FLASH we all know guns don't kill people, people kill people.

looks like lots of people lack sarcasm!
  • lisahale
    lisahale Posts: 56
    Options
    Totally PRO-GUN!!! As My Husband and I are members of the NRA we support having the right to carry a weapon at all times . Get the proper training, education and learn how to use it is all I would recommend! We hunt alot too so PRO-GUN is my beliefs!
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    gunyardsignsplash.jpg

Well that person is just lovely. What a great human.