Unintended consequences?

Options

Replies

• NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You start to feel like a junkie if you will not really but hahaha your before clothes have to be thrown away or definitely feel out of place knowing you should & have to buy new clothes or look like a skinny person wearing baggy clothes that don't fit maybe homeless.:wink:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not sure what's going on here, but I have another side effect.

My back hurts! We've had our mattress for about 5 years, and it's always been Ok. It's a store brand, lower end of the spectrum. Lately I've been waking up with a lot of lower back pain that goes away as the day goes by. It's not related to exercise, it's there first thing in the morning whether I work out or not.

My theory: In the past year I've lost 70 pounds of bodyfat and added 10 pounds of lean. I've gone from over 35% bodyfat to about 13%, which is a pretty heavy change in body composition. I sleep belly down a lot of the time, and my new denser bod sinks into the bed like a cannonball, causing a reversed bow to my back. I'm spending 6-7 hours a night in the "Superman" pose, and it's killing me.

I'm going to slide a sheet of plywood under the mattress and see if that helps. Maybe I should just sleep on the floor for a night or two and see what happens. With Christmas and the new grandkid in the house I don't want to drop a grand on a new mattress right now, but if this keeps up I just might.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not sure what's going on here, but I have another side effect.

My back hurts! We've had our mattress for about 5 years, and it's always been Ok. It's a store brand, lower end of the spectrum. Lately I've been waking up with a lot of lower back pain that goes away as the day goes by. It's not related to exercise, it's there first thing in the morning whether I work out or not.

My theory: In the past year I've lost 70 pounds of bodyfat and added 10 pounds of lean. I've gone from over 35% bodyfat to about 13%, which is a pretty heavy change in body composition. I sleep belly down a lot of the time, and my new denser bod sinks into the bed like a cannonball, causing a reversed bow to my back. I'm spending 6-7 hours a night in the "Superman" pose, and it's killing me.

I'm going to slide a sheet of plywood under the mattress and see if that helps. Maybe I should just sleep on the floor for a night or two and see what happens. With Christmas and the new grandkid in the house I don't want to drop a grand on a new mattress right now, but if this keeps up I just might.
    Have you tried sleeping with a flat pillow under your stomach? I have to do that for other reasons but it really help prevent bowing in your back.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Interesting idea. I'd probably roll right off of a pillow, but if I fold a quilt so it comes up 3 feet long and nice & thick, and place it under the sheet right where my torso lies, that might help.

Thanks Joy, I'll try that.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea. I'd probably roll right off of a pillow, but if I fold a quilt so it comes up 3 feet long and nice & thick, and place it under the sheet right where my torso lies, that might help.

Thanks Joy, I'll try that.
    Glad to be of help.:bigsmile:
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well, the libido thing is better than EVER since I feel so much better about myself! LOL (Never heard of losing weight DECREASING that...?)

The hip bone thing...I LOVE that I can feel my hip bones...and NOT just while lying flat on my back!! I'm feeling more and more bones. My arms look smaller. I see my shoulder bones. When I run, and look down at my legs, they look FIT. I see muscles. I have figure again! No compliants here!! :smile:

254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I HAVE been colder, I think.

Susan

254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CasperO
    Options
    We're all cold SuzyQ - walruses without our blubber is what we are. :tongue:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    A) TOTALLY colder now......it's crazy!!! Im the same. I was the one who always said "Im warm blooded"....my friends would be freezing and it never bothered me. NOW....omg I am always chilly!!

B) Rings are WAAAY to big!!! Weirdly too big...did a lose the most in my fingers? hahaha..

C) I need to buy new winter coats. Both my dressy black coat and my cozy one now just look sloppy. I didnt even think of it until winter came around....I'm gonna wait till boxing day till everything's on sale! hahahaha
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I had this weird urge to dance last night. Not sure where that came from, but since it's easier to get up and move it was my body telling me it was time to move.

Also, with the cold thing, not so much with the body, but my hands and feet are always cold this winter.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I don't want to offend anyone, but:
    Has it affected your libido?
    I don't know if it's my age or the weight loss.

It sure has increased mine!

Another unintended consequence of losing weight: My watch has gotten way too loose to wear. First, I had to adjust the expansion band to the tightest settng. Then it got way too loose again. So day before yesterday I went to a jeweler and they were able to take out an entire link section. Now it fits again!
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    Lots of these

1) my wedding ring slides all over, I have to be careful!
    2)I broke my tail bone 9 years ago and now it hurts when I sit, guess I had a built in pillow!!
    3) definitely the libido thing, I mean I look better and I'm not tired all the time :)
    4)I sleep deep at night!!!!

I could keep on going but wont :)

I LOVE everyone of these
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My dimples in my cheeks are a lot more noticeable. I thought I only had one on the left, turns out there's a matching one on the right that I had forgotten all about. :)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When I was younger everyone would compliment me on my "beautiful, big, brown eyes"...but the last year or so it wasn't a trademark of mine because I had extra fat on my cheekbones that minimized them. But, now I definitely have the big brown eyes again.

Also, I've been having to layer tank tops under my sweaters because since they are bigger on me...they sag too low in the front (I'm not the type to show any cleavage- I like being modest). So, I either have an extra layer, or I can't wear the sweater! Sometimes a pain! But, hey-- I'm not complaining... I'll just have to go shopping for smaller clothes!!

I love everyone's posts..haha.. they make me laugh, and I can definitely relate to a lot of them!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    My dimples in my cheeks are a lot more noticeable. I thought I only had one on the left, turns out there's a matching one on the right that I had forgotten all about. :)

That's a cute side effect!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm finding Pilates to be a little more uncomfortable, lol. Some of the positions involve laying on my stomach and stretching- and now my hip bones dig into the floor (even with a mat) and make it hard- and painful!- to hold.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I was sitting on my porch the other day (I just always sit on the top step) and my tush was KILLING me. I could feel all kinds of bones grinding into the floor. And, trust me, even 40 pounds lighter I have some major junk in the trunk. :laugh: As my best friend has told me, "The kind of @$$ I could eat a steak off of." I hate to think how much it's going to hurt to sit on the floor after I lose 80 more!

And, according to my boyfriend, I had started snoring quite a bit. :embarassed: But apparently, since I started exercising a lot, I don't ever snore anymore. :smile:

As to the libido thing, yes, my losing weight has definitely increased my bf's libido. :laugh: :blushing:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Combine jlb123's tail bone issues and MercuryBlue's pilates and you have my complaint. I've never had an @$$ and it is worse now that I've lost weight. I picked up a pilates DVD and it has you "balance on your tail bone". Two days later and I'm still regretting that.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

As to the libido thing, yes, my losing weight has definitely increased my bf's libido. :laugh: :blushing:

This I can relate to. I mean if I thought my hubby wouldn't leave me alone before now it seems like we are attached at the hip.... or other areas.

I am definitely more comfortable in my skin but I have always felt good with him. Even at my heavist he made me feel beautiful and desirable. On non-work out days I would say my libido is up. But on work out days when I am tired, sweaty and am just getting home at 8pm (and still haven't had dinner) that is the last thing on my mind.

I agree with everyone about always being cold and the loose rings. I have also found myself less bashful dressing/undressing in front of others (probably to a fault) and I find myself making more of an effort to look nice (i.e. dressing better, doing my hair, etc).

Another side effect is seemingly random moments of wanting to expend energy usually running, dancing, rocking, almost anything .... maybe I should use these momenst to satisfy the hubby's increase libido ... LOL
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Another side effect is seemingly random moments of wanting to expend energy usually running, dancing, rocking, almost anything .... maybe I should use these momenst to satisfy the hubby's increase libido ... LOL

Oh yeah, I have a major case of "the wiggles" (as we refer to them in our 2 adult, no children household :laugh:) too.

Haha, and about the being cold -- I've always been "hot natured." Yesterday I was really cold in my office so I put on my coat (we're talking wool coat) and was sitting at my desk & my supervisor comes in going 100 mph and then stops dead in her tracks & says "I'm sorry, were you on your way to lunch?" And I said "No, I've just lost too much of my blubber and now I'm freezing." I didn't think she was ever going to stop laughing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!