Fast Food

Options

Replies

• davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Not all fast food is unhealthy. I eat it from time to time as a treat, just like many others do. You cant tell me that you only crave veggies and fruit. I had takeout the other week that was chinese. It was chicken and mushrooms with boiled rice, does that make me unhealthy, dont think so!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Honestly, I have a hard time eating at fast food places since I worked in them as a teenager. And I worked in a McDonald's on a military base, where we had to pass through four different health inspectors (state, federal, Navy, and Marines). Still, after cleaning out the grease traps every night and going home smelling like a hamburger or bacon constantly, it doesn't appeal to you as much any more. Same for restaurant food. Mostly I eat lean meats, rice, and veggies, all of which are dirt cheap even by fast food standards and only take a few minutes to cook up.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Another day and another post of someone getting on their high horse.

I hate it. Through being healthy I have lost the taste and craving for fast food, but I'm not going to voice my opinion on a forum like this. Let people eat what they want. If they enjoy it, then what's the harm in them eating it?

So in your utopian view of MFP, what topics *should* be discussed in the Food and Nutrition forums? And I'm reasonably certain the OP isn't attempting to forcibly stop anyone from eating what they want (although I'll admit that I don't absolutely know that...he could be physically trying to block the door at a McDonald's right now.).

And I will look down my nose condescendingly and judgmentally from my ridiculously high horse at any responses that he didn't present his ideas in the proper way/a nice way. Since we're all adults here, surely we can look past the "tone" to understand the message and discuss that (instead of just how the OP sounds like a Mr. Meany McPoopypants).

No my utopian view on MFP is being able to open a forum post to find people aren't bashing others.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around it. Why do you eat it? I haven't had fast food in so many years, I don't even know how long. And, I see people still talking about it all he time in MFP and logging it. With the whole Chik-Fil-A thing, I just keep thinking, 'who gives a crap what that guy thinks. Just stop eating there, and they'll go away.'

The food is disgusting. No nutritional value, loaded with fat. Tasteless. Soggy. I just don't understand. At the bare minimum, why not just go to a diner instead. At least you'll get real food.

This isn't a rant, I just don't get it.

Not really directed towards the op. There was a time when you liked fast food. People forget this. In all fairness, it used to taste alot better back in the day. Its changed alot since then. I know now its not trendy to like fast food but people do forget, they used to love it. My problem is with people constantly attacking fast food and then the fast food places are forced to change their recipes and then their food taste like crap and is very bland. I wish people and organizations would leave them alone.

I would love to have some McDonalds fries from back in the 80s, not they are bland crap that does not rot. They actually have a lab and create their food in it. I think its none of anyone's business when and what they eat and if people want to eat fast food then they have that right and deserves to have a tasty meal instead of bland chemically lab generated crap cause some hipsters and health nuts thinks its unhealthy. Fast food is expensive today as well. Guess what people?

Yeah maybe fast food isn't causing people to get fat as it used to but now these gluten free diets are. No one should be adopting that diet unless under supervision from a doctor. Most dont need to be on that diet. People should follow their diets and leave others alone. If people choose to be unhealthy, its their choice and will have to live with their decisions. I think more people would if eating healthy was cheaper, yes I know you can keep costs down by making their own meals but many people dont know how to cook nor have the time. I live in Austin and there are many indie restaurants that specializes in healthy food but man, it sure is expensive to eat there.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it all the time before I started trying to lose weight and I loved it.. Not even sure why.. Now that I've stopped (alright, i had taco bell a couple weeks ago but that was it!), I don't crave it anymore and I'd much rather have a home cooked meal anyday. It just tastes better... and in my opinion fast food is kind of a waste of money. My husband, myself and my kids could eat fast food and spend over $20 on just us when I can go to the store with $20 and buy bread, milk, cereal, tuna, dinner for that night and still probably have left overs for the next day.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I really stopped eating at McDonald's since they got rid of the real Super Size fries.. You know the large fries plus another medium fries in 1 container.. Before they pretended to care about people... Those were the days... Boycotting until those come back.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation. yes, if you eat it often and a lot of it, it'll be the early death of you. i let my children have an occasional hamburger at McDs and maybe a small fry... when I was pregnant with my daughter, i'd eat a large fry at least once a week! :) and basically hat's what she wants now!!!! geesh! what did i start! lol!!!!

yes, fast foods can be addicting. go watch "Super-Size me!"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Not really directed towards the op. There was a time when you liked fast food. People forget this. In all fairness, it used to taste alot better back in the day. Its changed alot since then. I know now its not trendy to like fast food but people do forget, they used to love it. My problem is with people constantly attacking fast food and then the fast food places are forced to change their recipes and then their food taste like crap and is very bland. I wish people and organizations would leave them alone.

I would love to have some McDonalds fries from back in the 80s, not they are bland crap that does not rot. They actually have a lab and create their food in it. I think its none of anyone's business when and what they eat and if people want to eat fast food then they have that right and deserves to have a tasty meal instead of bland chemically lab generated crap cause some hipsters and health nuts thinks its unhealthy. Fast food is expensive today as well. Guess what people?

Yeah maybe fast food isn't causing people to get fat as it used to but now these gluten free diets are. No one should be adopting that diet unless under supervision from a doctor. Most dont need to be on that diet. People should follow their diets and leave others alone. If people choose to be unhealthy, its their choice and will have to live with their decisions. I think more people would if eating healthy was cheaper, yes I know you can keep costs down by making their own meals but many people dont know how to cook nor have the time. I live in Austin and there are many indie restaurants that specializes in healthy food but man, it sure is expensive to eat there.

(I'm good with your first two paragraphs but a little confused about your third.)

So "people should follow their diets and leave others alone", but not if that means eliminating gluten? Unless they are under supervision from a doctor? Really? Are you worried that people will suffer negative health consequences caused by a gluten deficiency?

:huh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    No my utopian view on MFP is being able to open a forum post to find people aren't bashing others.

Disagreeing =/= bashing.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed by threads like this that present a given preference as superior ... what's the purpose of this discussion? Is it really going to convert someone one way or the other when one posts something like, "Yeah, well, I never eat X because it's garbage/disgusting/whatever." And if one does convince everyone else here, what's the payoff for the convincer?

This is a fitness forum. It is fustrating for people who are genuinely trying to help people who are often failing on their goals and getting upset and depressed and seeking advice see posts unchallenged that fast food is ok.

Sure it is ok as a very rare meal. Id argue the more of it you eat the nicer it tastes. Dont eat macdonalds for a month and see how sugar and grease laden a big mac tastes. Sure it might be beef but for the same price as a meal go and buy real steak

So yeah one burger wont kill you but dont give people struggling with weight control the idea it can be worked as a balanced calorie control diet or it is the only option they have. It destroys the hard work helpful people put in
  • calvert6183
    Options
    (I'm good with your first two paragraphs but a little confused about your third.)

So "people should follow their diets and leave others alone", but not if that means eliminating gluten? Unless they are under supervision from a doctor? Really? Are you worried that people will suffer negative health consequences caused by a gluten deficiency?

[/quote]

Sorry, it is hard typing on my iPad, im not great at typing on this thing. Where I live, people are always judging and trying to push their diets on others. If they want to go gluten free and organic then that is great for them but I dont want to go that way. I like sodas and sometimes have some fast food. I think its bs that people try to push the government to restrict our food and ban certain foods. In certain states, there are no refills on soda and other states its illegal for places to sell large sodas. Some states are working on banning bacon. Ive heard some women say they are embarrassed to be considered an American because of how fat we are so they try to push their beliefs on others. I do think any diet needs to discussed with their doctor and also people should not push their diets and beliefs on others. I know some people think they are trying to help others but judging others is not how you do it. Lead by example and post your results and hope to inspire others.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Sorry, it is hard typing on my iPad, im not great at typing on this thing. Where I live, people are always judging and trying to push their diets on others. If they want to go gluten free and organic then that is great for them but I dont want to go that way. I like sodas and sometimes have some fast food. I think its bs that people try to push the government to restrict our food and ban certain foods. In certain states, there are no refills on soda and other states its illegal for places to sell large sodas. Some states are working on banning bacon. Ive heard some women say they are embarrassed to be considered an American because of how fat we are so they try to push their beliefs on others. I do think any diet needs to discussed with their doctor and also people should not push their diets and beliefs on others. I know some people think they are trying to help others but judging others is not how you do it. Lead by example and post your results and hope to inspire others.
    [/quote]

Sounds good, especially the part about the government not trying to fix the problem (especially since it's my own personal belief that they were instrumental in creating the problem and are in no position to try to remedy it by arbitrarily restricting certain foods).

For what it's worth, while I certainly haven't discussed my food choices with my (obese) doctor, I have routine bloodwork to ensure all is well...and my numbers have never been better since I stopped eating certain nutritionally weak foods (unless you count the "enriching" that is required for some foods as a nutritional quality). So I guess there's an example...and some results...to inspire (but more likely, infuriate) others.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed by threads like this that present a given preference as superior ... what's the purpose of this discussion? Is it really going to convert someone one way or the other when one posts something like, "Yeah, well, I never eat X because it's garbage/disgusting/whatever." And if one does convince everyone else here, what's the payoff for the convincer?

This is a fitness forum. It is fustrating for people who are genuinely trying to help people who are often failing on their goals and getting upset and depressed and seeking advice see posts unchallenged that fast food is ok.

Sure it is ok as a very rare meal. Id argue the more of it you eat the nicer it tastes. Dont eat macdonalds for a month and see how sugar and grease laden a big mac tastes. Sure it might be beef but for the same price as a meal go and buy real steak

So yeah one burger wont kill you but dont give people struggling with weight control the idea it can be worked as a balanced calorie control diet or it is the only option they have. It destroys the hard work helpful people put in

I've gone more than a month. Big Mac still tasted delicious. It certainly can be worked as part of a balanced calorie controlled diet.
  • calvert6183
    Options
    Agreed

Sounds good, especially the part about the government not trying to fix the problem (especially since it's my own personal belief that they were instrumental in creating the problem and are in no position to try to remedy it by arbitrarily restricting certain foods).

Agreed.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options

I've gone more than a month. Big Mac still tasted delicious. It certainly can be worked as part of a balanced calorie controlled diet.

Your response shows you haven't understood the point I was making
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Your response shows you haven't understood the point I was making

I understood perfectly. You are stating something that is simply not true. Fast food does not automatically destroy the hard work people have put in. It can be worked in as part of a balanced calorie controlled diet.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The OP's food diary is private! Now how can I judge him :sad:

You took the thought right out of my head!

There are so many different kinds of "fast food" and as far as I can tell every country's version of each chain varies.
    Personally, and that's all this can ever be, I don't like McD because of the smell, KFC has never appealed as a vegetarian, and we don't have Chipotle over here.
    But I love Pizza Hut and Dominos, and once in awhile, factoring in the calories carefully, a liile treat never did anyone any harm.

Life is about living. sometimes that can mean enjoyment. Fun. As well as all the serious stuff.
    Just don't feel you have to get your fun from patronising other people.

And please don't expect me to believe that anyone can live without the occasional cookie. :bigsmile:

Enjoy your own journey.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love fast food! I also love the sort of restaurants that bring out 'complimentary' palate cleansers between each overpriced and intricately arranged course. There was an article in the NYTimes about a fortnight ago that profiled various chefs, each heading the kitchen at very good restaurants. Some of them confessed a love for sugary peanut butter and bright orange slices of shiny processed cheese. There was more, but I've forgotten! These guys aren't eating that way because they don't know any better or for lack of 'cleaner' options. They eat their delicious junk because it is... wait for it... delicious. That said, I knew a bloke at school who's gone on to work in a couple of decent restaurants here and in NZ. He hasn't lost his taste for KFC's drumsticks, nor is he going to compare the chain's efforts to his own work. It's pointless. Both ways of eating have their place and both have something unique to offer the tastebuds.

Food snobbery is just.... so sad. I suppose when you've nothing else to distinguish you, carrying on about other people's eating habits is all that's going to separate a food snob from the rest of the dregs
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't buy fast food (none of it's ever vegan anyway!), but even if it was vegan friendly i'd rather spend my money on eating out at a nice place (sushi restaurants!) if I wasn't going to cook something at home.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :explode: :mad: