Everyone do me a favor...

Options

Replies

• ShadowSP7
    ShadowSP7 Posts: 53
    Options
    stop posting on these forums asking for some motivation. Listen, your either motivated, or not. If your not going to put in the work then expect to maintain what you currently have. There is no secret pill, workout, training plan, etc. You put in the work you will see results.

Why does suddenly everyone need motivation? Its a very simple thing. Either you want to do something, or you don't. What's the mystery? Besides, if your motivated enough to join this site and ask for motivation aren't you motivated enough to put in the work?

WITHOUT LABOR, NOTHING PROSPERS!

STOP TALKING ABOUT, BE ABOUT IT!

Hey Fruch02,

Can you please add me, I can use some extra support and motivation.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    OP as you life get you down you start to need those motivations. I wish it was just an off or on switch. When I was 16 I had no worries in the world and would work out for hours, as I got older things pile up and it becomes harder to get motivated about all of them.

If you are doing the last rep on a bench press and you just don't think you got it anymore, your spotter can help you get over that hump by motivating you (screaming, cheering , etc).

So asking for a spot on the forums that were meant to help people out is only logical.

Empathy is a great thing to have.
    Those without empathy are sociopaths.
    Hence the OP is obviously a serial killer.

Strawman argument :tongue:
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    stop posting on these forums asking for some motivation. Listen, your either motivated, or not. If your not going to put in the work then expect to maintain what you currently have. There is no secret pill, workout, training plan, etc. You put in the work you will see results.

Why does suddenly everyone need motivation? Its a very simple thing. Either you want to do something, or you don't. What's the mystery? Besides, if your motivated enough to join this site and ask for motivation aren't you motivated enough to put in the work?

Oh dear, we should all have ignored this post and the OP member and see what happened ! Me thinks the dummy (pacifier) would have chucked out of the pram along with the toys.

Motivation can be different for all people - for me it's accountability, for others it's a pat on the back, others its a pirate call...."AAARRRGGGHHHHH C'mon you can do this".

Hey ho! I will look forward with interest to the OPs next posting.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

When you join a gym, you don’t suddenly become fit, no one says “you’re at the gym so you are fit” because that would be stupid right? You take one baby step and join a gym, you take the next baby step and pick a machine, read the instructions, and your next baby step is adding weight…. And so on.

Does that make you fit? No. Say you’re at the gym and some guy/girl comes over and helps you/talks to you, shows you a better way, or even say “hi doing great” Now if that doesn’t drive you to do more, then it is time for you to give up on everything. We all work better harder with praise and support. It keeps us honest, it stops us from repeating past mistakes. And when someone is nice to us says good things to us, it makes us work harder; if only to ‘repay’ your friend’s for their support and belief in your efforts.

So no, being here is not enough motivation. Having even two friends can help you support you make you work that little be harder, make you just that little bit more honest, knowing that people care enough even just to read your home page, well it helps us mere mortals no end.

Being here is just a step, for some a big step, and for others a baby step. Three years 7months ago I started cycling to work, and for three years I achieved next to nothing, 7 months ago I started logging my rides and made an online friend who does the same, and now I’ve lighter, fitter and have halved the time it takes to get to work.
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    SOMEONE PLEASE ARGUE THAT I'M WRONG? I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW I AM WRONG? MOTIVATION AND INSPIRATION ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. PROVE ME WRONG AND I WILL BE DONE WITH THIS.

okay *takes your keyboard and types in thesaurus.com, types in inspiration* well looky here...motivation is another word for inspiration. that's called a synonym...they're related, if not meaning the same thing.

1. you said "all i'm saying is..." but that isn't all you're saying. you're telling people what to do and what not to do, judging people and telling them they're wrong with every post. and that isn't fair. even if you'd been here years, your words would hurt my heart if i was a truly weaker person looking for motivation and inspiration.

2. inspiration is often considered divine, theologically based. angels and miracles inspire us and i have surely seen plenty of those here since joining but a few days ago.

3. motivation is similar to inspiration in that it helps us take the next step and start to move. i am inspired by the stories i see here, every single one. but it's the ones that are similar to my own that MOTIVATE me to try and emulate what they are doing, to attain similar results.

dictionary.com helps if you still don't get it:

inspiration - an inspiring or animating action or influence

motivation - providing with a reason to act in a certain way

4. stop raining on other people's parades. i was 'motivated' to join <---that was me, yes. i was 'inspired' by the stories i see. and reading more and more stories that are like my own is 'motivating' me to try out what others are trying, what has worked for them. the number one thing people say about this site is that they are friendly.

5. go be a meanie face on your home page :indifferent: i find what you said, each and every time, UNmotivating and disheartening. i try to imagine you as a personal trainer, the way i try to imagine everyone else who posts here, and it doesn't work. it honestly feels like you fall into the category of people we should be avoiding until we are strong enough to love them through their bad times. from the posts here, a few are already prepared to give you hugs, which you clearly need. hopefully we all won't focus so much on this negativity and will move back to a place of compassion and acceptance.

i guess not everyone who is trying to lose weight can do so with a light heart. mew... my apologies for contributing to the negative but i'm a GrammarGirl too, and he did say prove him wrong :ohwell:

what can i say...he motivated me...
  • jacknbox
    jacknbox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have loved this thread.....

It has motivated and encouraged me to stay a member.....
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    “People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”-zig Ziglar

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."- John Quincy Adams quotes (American 6th US President)

"At the same time, it makes me feel like I have to prove myself to the new guys coming in as well as prove myself to the coaching staff, which is a good bit of motivation for me."-Michael Strahan

"It requires less character to discover the faults of others than to tolerate them". - J. Petit-Senn, 1792-1870

" Don't let your fear of being judged stop you from asking for help when you need it... "- Unknown quotes

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”- Jim Rohn

Hope that motivates some of you not to listen to all this garbage about not looking for motivation on this site :tongue:

Looking at all those quotes sure motivated me...maybe I'll start a new thread about motivational quotes!
    Thanks for the motivating me to do that!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Motivation can be extrinsic, intrinsic, and both at the same time. But I loved this thread, because it was funny. I love that people here can debate about anything and everything, even something so harmless and positive as people asking for motivation.

By the way, does a pound of fat weigh more than a pound of muscle or does it only matter by volume?
  • FATBOYBGONE
    FATBOYBGONE Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think one of my Drill Instructors back in the day would not concur.
  • Carley0287
    Carley0287 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that you posted that response. I am one that loves encouragement, and although I can self motivate, its always nice to know you have other people in your corner!
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes I was extrinsically motivated (Extrinsic motivation refers to the performance of an activity in order to attain an outcome) to join this site so that I could have help and be inspired (To stimulate to action; to motivate) to change my eating habits in order for me to loose weight.

Do I care if the word I use to ask for help is motivation, inspiration, help, stimulating, invigorating, encouragement, or countless other words which all basically mean the same thing?........Do I heck..........I know that at some time I am going to need my MFP friends to sympathise with me when my plateau continues seemingly without end, and I am hoping that they will suggest changes to my eating or exercise regimes to that extent.......if i didn't want my MFP friends to motivate, inspire encourage etc etc ( you get the idea!), then I would keep my mouth shut, not have any MFP friends and just do my own thing . I could suggest that certain people do this, but then that wouldn't really be inspiring or encouraging, but it could be motivating!
  • BThomas5971
    BThomas5971 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my friend tammy pushes me, walk faster, farther, uphill etc.! She has lost 80 lbs., when i feel weak, disouraged, she is my motivation! she is what helps me.. I get it.
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just as you can't motivate a seed to grow (you can only provide an appropriate environment that will allow it to grow), you can't motivate people. They motivate themselves. They have it, or they don’t. Some people will kick it up a notch to earn a promotion, or a reward, or for recognition. But ultimately, it’s up them.

This what you all need to realize about motivation:

First, you can’t motivate anybody to do anything they don’t want to do. Motivation is an internal thing, not an external thing.

The second thing is that all people are motivated. The person that stays in bed in the morning rather than getting up and going to
    work is more motivated to stay in bed than to work. They might be negatively motivated, but they are nonetheless motivated.

The third thing is that people do things for their reasons and not for yours. The trick is to find out what their reasons are.

So instead of asking for motivation....be inspired by others gains and motivate yourself to workout and get the job done. Don't come on here asking for motivation.
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    removed
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    All I need to realize about motivation is that your definition is partially correct but not fully correct.

As someone already posted, the definition of the word "motivate" as a verb means to provide a reason, to give an incentive, to impel. Even the definition of the word "motivation" includes: "Sometimes that motivates, an inducement or incentive."

You are correct that the actual feeling of motivation belongs to each individual and each individual alone. But when people are asking for motivation, they are asking for those reasons, those incentives, that attention and support (motivators), in order to increase their feelings.

You absolutely can motivate people. You could think of infinite factors that would influence your success and failure rate. The trick is figuring out the right motivator. What they do with it as you said is up to them. You are confusing motivate with follow through.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just as you can't motivate a seed to grow (you can only provide an appropriate environment that will allow it to grow), you can't motivate people. They motivate themselves. They have it, or they don’t. Some people will kick it up a notch to earn a promotion, or a reward, or for recognition. But ultimately, it’s up them.

This what you all need to realize about motivation:

First, you can’t motivate anybody to do anything they don’t want to do. Motivation is an internal thing, not an external thing.

The second thing is that all people are motivated. The person that stays in bed in the morning rather than getting up and going to
    work is more motivated to stay in bed than to work. They might be negatively motivated, but they are nonetheless motivated.

The third thing is that people do things for their reasons and not for yours. The trick is to find out what their reasons are.

So instead of asking for motivation....be inspired by others gains and motivate yourself to workout and get the job done. Don't come on here asking for motivation.

There are actually two types of motivation; internal and external. The internal motivation is the foundation. Signing up with this website and showing up to log every day is internally motivated. But the friendships formed here offer external motivation (or positive peer pressure, if you will) to push yourself further than you thought you could go. It encourages you to try new things and ultimately increases your chance of success.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old wont clean his room, do I need to motivate or inspire him?

Probably a kick on the bum but is that motivation or inspiration? Is the consequence of an external "reward" a motivation or an inspiration? :P

OK that was all rather tongue in cheek but you see where I am coming from?
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    One of the purposes of a message board is to connect. Sometimes for advice and sometimes for a kick in the butt, ie... motivation. Why are you so bothered that people are asking others for the help they feel they need. Not everyone is a self starter and if they require some inspiration, I'm happy to oblige. If you aren't happy to help others, there is no requirement to rely to them.
  • dgo131
    dgo131 Posts: 2
    Options
    I do believe, Sir, that this is what the sight is for. If you don't like it, go!
  • wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Any parent can tell you there are times when you "motivate" your children to do something (go to a relatives for dinner, clean their room, go to a museum, whatever) by various techniques. The child knows the museum, the broccoli, the room-cleaning, the whatever is a good thing to do but they lack the DISCIPLINE to motivate themselves - at first. So parents provide motivation; external motivation, until the child learns to motivate himself or herself.

Some of us at MFP are children, emotionally, about our diet and exercise. So we look to our peers to be friends, authority figures, work-out buddies, what ever you want to call it. It works for us. Good for you if you don't need this, but I do. You don't need external motivation and you don't like reading about it? Please move on to another thread. I will not let your rant against external motivation stop me from seeking it.

Either way, the only thing that matters is our personal health and well-being, and I am stoked for you that you are doing so well on your own. Keep it up! :happy:

WELL SAID SIR!!!