Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha ha ha! I always think of them as leads for toddlers. Never used one for my older son, as he used to lie face down on the floor if I put it on him, and apparently dragging your 18 month old around the supermarket is frowned on. My younger one used to wear his all the time, though. He ran off constantly otherwise. Especially at agricultural shows. He loved it (it was attached to a rucksack that looked like a bee with antennae, and he insisted on carrying his own nappies in it).
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    And previous generations may not have used them - but they used pieces of string instead.

Anyway, I don't need to justify anything to anyone here. I hated the idea pre-children, but my son actually liked it. It was that or I carried him every waking hour (which I did for the first 18 months). If you have two toddlers and are looking after other children as well, there are more children than hands, and runner-offers need some management.
  • jaygregz
    jaygregz Posts: 104
    Options
    My parents used a leash on me when I was a child. I have had not adverse effects due to the leash except for that fact that I occasionally bark at the neighbors. :)

All kidding aside... this is probably the dumbest topic I've seen in a while. Unlike what you may have heard it doesn't take a village to raise a child. It takes 1 parent (although 2 is preferred) to care and raise their child. It is that parent's right to raise their child according to how they see fit within the confines of the law. As an outsider you can not possibly understand the dynamics of said family so you do not have the right to interfere based on your limited understanding of said situation.

Now on a lighter note..

Someone came to my door the other day and told me that my dog was chasing someone on a bike. I told them it couldn't be my dog because he doesn't know how to ride a bike.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I put my kid on a leash after he bit a classmate in preschool. I said if you are gonna act lke a dog then I will treat you like a dog. Well, sad to say that idea didnt work and he kept biting classmates. One month later we had to put him down.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: oh wait.......i got into trouble in kindergarden for biting a few classmates hard enough to draw blood, and my friend hard enough to leave a scar that she still shows off.... :laugh: :laugh:
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    testing
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    testing
    testing
  • splashangel
    Options
    I put my kid on a leash after he bit a classmate in preschool. I said if you are gonna act lke a dog then I will treat you like a dog. Well, sad to say that idea didnt work and he kept biting classmates. One month later we had to put him down.

hope your joking b/c im LMFAO!!!

My mom is dying at this one! single funniest thing i've read on this thread! Once again you've made my night! :flowerforyou:
    [/quot

Edited out of respect for the op.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    :huh: I officially regret starting this topic. Just sayin'
  • splashangel
    Options
    testing
    testing
    Ooops!:laugh:
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Some people in this thread might not need leashes but it would sure be nice if they had muzzles.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    First of all, MFP needs a troll harness to get some of you people under control. :grumble:

Second, take your your young kid into a busy place, have them slip away from you for 3-5 seconds. Then come back and continue to tell people they are the devil for using a harness. Don't think you child could/would possibly do such a thing? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Third, I have no idea how the parents who claim to give their children their 100% undivided attention have any time to spend on the internet. Seriously. Wouldn't waste my precious downtime giving craps what the lesser thans do...:drinker:
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I notice this a lot, parents with their toddler on a leash. Personally I think a leash is for a furry animal, not a child. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

My sister and I were both "leashed" when on trips or in crowded places. That was 30 years ago. Don't tell me previous generations didn't do it either , cause my Grandmother had 5 boys and when they walked to town, she tied a rope through all their belt loops so they didn't wander off.

Just cause you wouldn't do something, doesn't give you the right to criticize someone else because they believe it is right in their situation.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    I have always thought putting a kid on a leash was just f-ed up, till i had a kid of my own (who acts like she on crack 24/7) and guess what...I STILL FEEL THE SAME WAY. To me there are very few reasons to put a child on a leash and it has more to do with the parents being lazy and not looking after their children. Don't have them if you can't give them your 100% attention.

You're the absolute biggest liar if you even try to say that you gave your kids 100% of your attention every single second of their lives.

:flowerforyou: :heart: (there no smilie for a lady boner but if there was....)

You are clearly just showing your insecurities as a parent by trying to put down my abilities. Of course its impossible to watch your child 24/7 and ensure that they are completely out of harms way. But using a crutch like a leash, which are made for animals, to make your life easier, is just a cop out in my opinion. Play with your child, stay with them, watch them and most of all teach them about safety. Worked pretty good for other generations.

You do realize that you were also putting down the abilities of other parents? It does make life easier, but it certainly isn't the easiest option. We could all keep our children locked up at home and away from fun, crowded activities; that would be the easiest/laziest approach. I took my toddlers to Disney World, zoos, fairs, festivals, amusement parks, hiking trails, sporting events and airports. Yes, my oldest was a firecracker and it was more enjoyable for him to be able to walk around. So I would put him on a leash until his little *kitten* was too worn out; then he would opt for a stroller. That by no means makes me a lazy parent. It makes me an active parent, who wasn't put off by an inquisitive, active toddler.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options

You do realize that you were also putting down the abilities of other parents? It does make life easier, but it certainly isn't the easiest option. We could all keep our children locked up at home and away from fun, crowded activities; that would be the easiest/laziest approach. I took my toddlers to Disney World, zoos, fairs, festivals, amusement parks, hiking trails, sporting events and airports. Yes, my oldest was a firecracker and it was more enjoyable for him to be able to walk around. So I would put him on a leash until his little *kitten* was too worn out; then he would opt for a stroller. That by no means makes me a lazy parent. It makes me an active parent, who wasn't put off by an inquisitive, active toddler.

Thank you! Our parents toook us to Garden of the Gods, the Smokey Mountains, and all kinds of places growing up. They were "into" us. Instead of leaving us with various family members or babysitters, they took us with them wherever they went and if that meant a leash, then by god we had a leash and we were safe!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. I took the Elmo backpack and tether out of its package today and tried it on my 19 month old twice to start getting her used to it.
    She loves wearing Elmo! I never put the tether on it but I sure will to ruffle some judgey feathers out in public just for kicks sometime this week. :)
  • Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options
    I like leashes just fine.

Oh wait, on kids? I don't have any kids.

Or pets.

naughty! ;)
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Personally... I am quite capable of holding my daughters hand or putting her on my hip/back if I'm worried about safety. she's also quit capable of sitting in a buggy(willing or not) if needed and if I tell her to stand right there so that I can see her, she stays 90% of the time and if she starts to move out of my safe range I correct her. Granted, I have one child. I don't want to "unleash" a misbehaving, snot of a child on the world, therefore to the best of my ability, she is not one... and doesn't need a harness.. I would much rather talk to her and teach her and use my sense of responsibility and parenting to control her. She's four years old and this has never been an issue, yes she has attitude and likes to test her limits some times, but that's what kids do and as a parent, I show her what those limits are and correct her.

(to those who's children are not a typical case do to medical/genetic conditions- please don't take this as a cut on you. And please continue to keep your child safe. <3 )
    (To those who are raising bratty kids with no self control and no sense of what authority or respect or limits are... I feel no pity for you..I feel sorry for the world you're children will eventually be unleashed on)
    Just my unprofessional, personal opinion as always ~ Josie
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. One of the best safety aides besides the car seat!
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Personally... I am quite capable of holding my daughters hand or putting her on my hip/back if I'm worried about safety. she's also quit capable of sitting in a buggy(willing or not) if needed and if I tell her to stand right there so that I can see her, she stays 90% of the time and if she starts to move out of my safe range I correct her. Granted, I have one child. I don't want to "unleash" a misbehaving, snot of a child on the world, therefore to the best of my ability, she is not one... and doesn't need a harness.. I would much rather talk to her and teach her and use my sense of responsibility and parenting to control her. She's four years old and this has never been an issue, yes she has attitude and likes to test her limits some times, but that's what kids do and as a parent, I show her what those limits are and correct her.

(to those who's children are not a typical case do to medical/genetic conditions- please don't take this as a cut on you. And please continue to keep your child safe. <3 )
    (To those who are raising bratty kids with no self control and no sense of what authority or respect or limits are... I feel no pity for you..I feel sorry for the world you're children will eventually be unleashed on)
    Just my unprofessional, personal opinion as always ~ Josie

As my mother did, and as I have done and will do when/if I have my own.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options

(to those who's children are not a typical case do to medical/genetic conditions- please don't take this as a cut g deal!on you. And please continue to keep your child safe. <3 )
    Just my unprofessional, personal opinion as always ~ Josi

Well, she's four. She is old enough to be reasoned with. Big deal.