Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have always thought putting a kid on a leash was just f-ed up, till i had a kid of my own (who acts like she on crack 24/7) and guess what...I STILL FEEL THE SAME WAY. To me there are very few reasons to put a child on a leash and it has more to do with the parents being lazy and not looking after their children. Don't have them if you can't give them your 100% attention.

I guess you stare at your kids 24/7 and don't ever take your eyes off them..Cheers to you.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I like leashes just fine.

Oh wait, on kids? I don't have any kids.

Or pets.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I like leashes just fine.

Oh wait, on kids? I don't have any kids.

Or pets.

thread needs to be closed now. we have a winner. haha
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    lets see, kid on a leash or kid killed by a car.

tough call guys.

Its called CONSEQUENCES. Kids have to learn about them sometime, right?

hey that's what i told the boy when he got in medicine cabinet (no safety lock) & had to have his stomach pumped. I told him "You should have just heeded the "LOOK" but you didn't so here you are getting your gut pumped out & wasting mummys time. I mean hell, what kind of 5 year old can't understand the "LOOK" "

Well, mummy had the good sense to put the grown up stuff into a cabinet, shouldn't the boy reason out that this means its not his place to go in stealing mummy's Xanax and Valium?! Mummy is old enough to not need to share.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I put my kid on a leash after he bit a classmate in preschool. I said if you are gonna act lke a dog then I will treat you like a dog. Well, sad to say that idea didnt work and he kept biting classmates. One month later we had to put him down.

Ah ha ha ha ha..I love this! Hilarious. I am all for leashing your kids!!! (not really a kid person though lol)..
    Next will be muzzle yr babies..that crying is annoying.
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    I have always thought putting a kid on a leash was just f-ed up, till i had a kid of my own (who acts like she on crack 24/7) and guess what...I STILL FEEL THE SAME WAY. To me there are very few reasons to put a child on a leash and it has more to do with the parents being lazy and not looking after their children. Don't have them if you can't give them your 100% attention.

must be hard having your eyes trained on your child 24/7. how do you take a shower, or a poo, or you know walk in a straight line. you must bump into stuff alot. lol
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was a kid on a leash.. because my mom was an older mother and couldn't carry/chase my 2 yr old butt. Since I never walked from the time I could stand, it made shopping and things a lot easier on her.

When I have kids one day, if they are the same, I probably will have some sort of harness on them.

Kids are curious and want to look around.. and this is a perfectly safe way to let kids explore their environment without having to worry about them getting snatched or wandering off where they shouldn't.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

You're the absolute biggest liar if you even try to say that you gave your kids 100% of your attention every single second of their lives.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

must be hard having your eyes trained on your child 24/7. how do you take a shower, or a poo, or you know walk in a straight line. you must bump into stuff alot. lol

I know really!
    I think if my child acted like she was "on crack 24/7" I would be more concerned about her then judging other parents.
  • beccyleigh
    Options

You're the absolute biggest liar if you even try to say that you gave your kids 100% of your attention every single second of their lives.

:flowerforyou: :heart: (there no smilie for a lady boner but if there was....)
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

You are clearly just showing your insecurities as a parent by trying to put down my abilities. Of course its impossible to watch your child 24/7 and ensure that they are completely out of harms way. But using a crutch like a leash, which are made for animals, to make your life easier, is just a cop out in my opinion. Play with your child, stay with them, watch them and most of all teach them about safety. Worked pretty good for other generations.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

You are clearly just showing your insecurities as a parent by trying to put down my abilities. Of course its impossible to watch your child 24/7 and ensure that they are completely out of harms way. But using a crutch like a leash, which are made for animals, to make your life easier, is just a cop out in my opinion. Play with your child, stay with them, watch them and most of all teach them about safety. Worked pretty good for other generations.

I have no insecurities as a parent, since I'm not a parent.

A leash isn't a crutch. Did you READ any of the stories people posted in using them? Did you read how I saw TWO instances where a leash saved a child from being injured? One from falling down a steep hill and into a water retention, and another at a theme park. People will literally plow over you and your child and they don't care if they separate you from them at theme parks.

Of course other generations didn't use them--they're a relatively new invention. Did you use baby formula at all? Processed baby food? Disposable diapers? A stroller? Car seat? Electronic toys? Sure, many older generations didn't use any of that, but I certainly don't see those items being judged.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Teach a nonverbal autistic 4 yr old about "safety"? Why, you must have the most brilliant, perfect children on the planet! Kudos to you, mom, for hitting the genetic jackpot!
  • KimmyEB
    Options

:smooched: (I've been waiting forever to use that smilie--it's hilarious!)
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've used one once. It was a monkey backpack with a tether, that my 2 year old called his "tail". I was going through Denver airport alone, with three or four bags, a two year old and a seven year old. I had just secretly left (as in grabbed the kids from school and gone straight to the airport) my abusive/drug addict husband and was terrified, traumatized, and exhausted. I couldn't carry my son or hold his hand, and he could have gotten lost or been taken in a split second. I'm sure there were judgmental parents thinking I was lazy or a bad parent for using it. Point being, don't make assumptions, because you really never have any idea what someone's situation is.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

Teach a nonverbal autistic 4 yr old about "safety"? Why, you must have the most brilliant, perfect children on the planet! Kudos to you, mom, for hitting the genetic jackpot!

Actually if you read my 1st post I say that there are few reasons to use one,for example, your case.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never needed to use one, but I don't think it's such a big deal. Parenting should be tailored to the child; if your child has difficulty understanding/following verbal cues, then by all means, keep them safe. My kids don't have that issue, but they have their own unique needs which require individualized parenting, some of which I'm sure other parents would find strange.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I was a kid on a leash...which I'm convinced is how I survived to adulthood. I was a wanderer and gave my mom MANY near-heart attacks. And it became even more difficult after my little brother was born when I was a toddler and my dad had a traveling job so my mom was on her own with us a lot. So the leash was for my safety as well as her health. I definitely would never refer to a leash as a "crutch". To me, that's like saying a fork is a crutch to make your life easier at dinner time. Just my opinion.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My parents put me on a leash. Normally it was only during family vacation time. My mom and dad had 5 of us to watch and I admit freely that I was a little stinker. I always wanted to see what was around the corner before anyone else and was always running to far ahead. I would have done the same thing if it was my child. Granted I remember being ticked off. I was 7 at the time.

It was the neatest shade of pink you could imagine and it had silver stud work on it.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    So what happens when you have 2 or 3 kids? You can't give them all 100% of your attention, that's not laziness it's simple math. Right now I wear the baby so I CAN give my toddler my attention, but once he's too big for that I'll have to rework the system. Again, I wouldn't use one for every day stuff, but at a crowded event I'd absolutely consider it.