Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My son has ADHD. His hyperactivity is so severe that any outing causes such stress that I've considered it ... a number of times. But he'd just chew right through it. And off he'd go anyway.

^this!^
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    More parents should put their kids on leashes because it is hilarious. My day is drastically improved whenever I see a child on a leash, I can't be the only one out here who feels this way. :drinker:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Wow... never used a carseat? That's just unsafe IMO! My daughter will be 8 and she still sits in a high backbooster. I can't imagine a two year old never using a carseat... unless they were never in a car!

Wow it's called public transportation...lol

An 8 yr in a booster hahaha omg smh my nephew is 7 and he doesn't use one.

I'm not sure where you live but here it is actually the law that they have to use a booster until they are a certain age/height reequirement and for most kids that is around 8 or 9 depending on weight. They have done studies that show children have a better chance of surviving an accident if they are still in a booster. So glad you can be all smug about it when you have your own kids and are okay with putting them at risk.

I am not a leash user because I am lucky enough to have kids that don't bolt but if I did have a bolter then I would not have a problem using one. And children who run are not necessarily a product of poor parenting. There are a whole host of reasons why a child might run no matter what the parents say or do.

I guess I don't understand judging people who are trying to do what they think is the best or safest for their children (they know their kids, you don't). If they were choking them with the leash or beating them, judge away....but they are trying to protect them.

My friends daughter was hit by a car (her daughter was a runner) . Thankfully she survived but they now use a safety strap with her because she still will not listen to their commands of not running. Not all 2 year olds will just be like "oh okay mom, I will do everything you say all the time". Some people are lucky to have very obedient children.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Awww this is such awesome parenting

200905-baby-leash1.jpg
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    229437041.jpg

haha

"Oh you've occasionally looked after someone else child. Tell me you're a great parent :wink: There you go, fixed it for ya. And you know, the correct spelling for You're.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options

I'm not sure where you live but here it is actually the law that they have to use a booster until they are a certain age/height reequirement and for most kids that is around 8 or 9 depending on weight. They have done studies that show children have a better chance of surviving an accident if they are still in a booster. So glad you can be all smug about it when you have your own kids and are okay with putting them at risk.

I am not a leash user because I am lucky enough to have kids that don't bolt but if I did have a bolter then I would not have a problem using one. And children who run are not necessarily a product of poor parenting. There are a whole host of reasons why a child might run no matter what the parents say or do.

I guess I don't understand judging people who are trying to do what they think is the best or safest for their children (they know their kids, you don't). If they were choking them with the leash or beating them, judge away....but they are trying to protect them.

My friends daughter was hit by a car (her daughter was a runner) . Thankfully she survived but they now use a safety strap with her because she still will not listen to their commands of not running. Not all 2 year olds will just be like "oh okay mom, I will do everything you say all the time". Some people are lucky to have very obedient children.

Never been in a booster seat never been in a car seat.. lol
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My parents sailed and they used one of those harness leash things on me down at the docks. Any child under 3 is not a developmental stage, that can comprehend danger.
  • beccyleigh
    Options

Never been in a booster seat never been in a car seat.. lol

good for you, there is a special prize in the post on it's way for you.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    229437041.jpg

haha

"Oh you've raised your 10 yr old cousin from the age of 2,Tell me you're a great parent :wink: There you go, fixed it for ya.

Oh structure thats how! ;) ...I may not have given birth so what? People raise kids that arent their own everyday. Giving birth is the only way to be a parent?..ok, nice to know..but i'm sure my cousin doesn't feel that way.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This thread is tl;dr but to add my tuppence to the discussion:

My parents and my childminder used reigns on me AND my brother, because it gave us a chance to explore and walk, whilst keeping us safe.

Nothing to do with them being bad parents. My parents were sensible, incredible parents who taught my brother and I to respect them a whole lot better than a lot of the parents of my friends and schoolmates.

before someone says LOL IF THEY HAD A CHILDMINDER THEY COULDN'T BE THAT GREAT they were both full time police officers in the Metropolitan police force until I was 6 years old.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Mommy wars, lolololololol
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    ahh you missed the point again, never mind. I'll explain it for you. You make a *****y picture about people using a harness cause you know, you think you are cute & clever. So I just turn it around to your situation to show you how easy it is to be (un) cute & (un) funny. Sorry you missed the subtlety, of course I don't think giving birth makes a parent but I also don't think I am better than everyone else for something as minor as not using a protective child care aid & act all smug about it. mkay?
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    Mommy wars, lolololololol

lol this cracked me up
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is starting to look like cafemom. I quit that site because of the cattiness and utter childishness.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    ahh you missed the point again, never mind. I'll explain it for you. You make a *****y picture about people using a harness cause you know, you think you are cute & clever. So I just turn it around to your situation to show you how easy it is to be (un) cute & (un) funny. Sorry you missed the subtlety, of course I don't think giving birth makes a parent but I also don't think I am better than everyone else for something as minor as using a protective child care aid & act all smug about it. mkay?

I did't make that..lol smh

I don't agree with leashing a child like a wild animal, where in that does it say i'm better than you?... I will never agree with you lady :)
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    after the last time my speedy four year old took off at a dead run for a busy street, i got him a backpack leash.

i'm obviously a terrible parent for wanting to make sure my kid doesn't get hit by a bus.

he's eight now, and has yet to be smashed by traffic, so i'm thinking i did ok.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    ahh you missed the point again, never mind. I'll explain it for you. You make a *****y picture about people using a harness cause you know, you think you are cute & clever. So I just turn it around to your situation to show you how easy it is to be (un) cute & (un) funny. Sorry you missed the subtlety, of course I don't think giving birth makes a parent but I also don't think I am better than everyone else for something as minor as using a protective child care aid & act all smug about it. mkay?

I don't agree with leashing a child like a wild animal, where in that does it say i'm better than you?... I will never agree with you lady :)

Lmao! Again? now what are you fighting about? :laugh:
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Saw this somewhere else and I 100% AGREE.

"Here's a thought...if you don't like them, don't use them. If you are a perfect parent who has a perfect child, feel free to judge and look down on others who use a "leash" (BTW, it's called a child harness, not a leash). But since there is no such thing as a perfect parent or child, I don't get where some people here feel ok judging people they don't know and whom they have no clue what their particular circumstances are."
  • beccyleigh
    Options

thankfully. Just be sure to remember this when you have children of your own & someone makes some snidey comment on your choices. I kind of wish I was there to see it cause I have a feeling you wouldn't take it well .

Best of luck to you & your "cousin" :huh:
  • berrieblu
    berrieblu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my little brother was known for wandering off in stores when he was little (he's 27 now) - literally, turn your back and he'd be gone. he was a very friendly kid and seriously had no fear of anyone. i'm add and even now (at almost 30) will wander off just because something caught my eye. my mom used a leash on both of us occasionally - if we went to a big supermarket or mall (both were an hour drive away so not regular occurrences) or when we went to the zoo or that sort of thing. i don't think they're a terrible thing as long as the parent isn't using it to drag the kid around or as an excuse to ignore their child. my mom never ignored us; it was "extra insurance". if i had a child that was add, i would at least consider using one.

i've also worked with children and adults with developmental disabilities and sometimes i really wish i could use a leash....it's not pretty, but it's better than someone who doesn't know better ending up in the street or in a situation where they could be taken advantage of.