Putting your KID on a leash

Options

Replies

• zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I worked in a major pet store chain for 14 years. You'd be amazed by what can be going on at one end of the leash without being noticed at the other end. That said, if your kid isn't likely to behave, at least s/he will be within sight if on a leash.
    There are 3 incidents that immediately come to mind. The first happened to me. I was bagging fish when a little boy (young, but old enough to know better), walked up to a shelf full of plactic critter keepers with small pacman frogs in them. He picked one up and started shaking it up and down as hard as he could. I had to drop what I was doing, run over and snatch the frog away from him. I told him "NO!" in the meanest voice I could and put the frog back. He looked shocked, as if he'd never heard the word before. I told him he needed to go back to his parents and he took off.
    Another happened to a friend at work. She was cleaning up in the bird habitat and noticed a little girl, maybe 4 years old, watching her. No adult in sight. The friend asked the girl if she was with a grown up and she said "Mommy." And the friend asked her where her mommy was. The little girl took her hand and walked to the other side of the store. As they approached, the mother looked up from the dog food at her daughter holding a stranger's hand. My friend asked "Is this yours?"
    The last time was when I was working near the front of the store. I saw a little girl standing there looking very upset and scared. I asked if she was OK and she said she lost her mommy and started crying. I told her it would be OK and I would find her mommy. I went on the intercom and asked for her mother to come to the front of the store. No response. By now a father with a couple kids was there and his son was holding the little girl's hand. Another associate started walking the aisles of the store, looking for the girl's mom. About 10 minutes passed before a woman came back in the store looking for her daughter. She had paid and left without noticing that her 4 year old wasn't with her. She had 3 other kids and apparently couldn't handle watching all of them.
    These all had happy endings. They could have just as easily ended very badly. If you can't control your kids, if you can't handle watching them, you need another way to keep them safe (and make sure they behave).
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Well, you should know it depends on size. It's safer to be in a booster than not. Try looking up carseat safety rules. I'm sure SHE is making sure her child is as safe as possible.
    Wow... never used a carseat? That's just unsafe IMO! My daughter will be 8 and she still sits in a high backbooster. I can't imagine a two year old never using a carseat... unless they were never in a car!

Wow it's called public transportation...lol

An 8 yr in a booster hahaha omg smh my nephew is 7 and he doesn't use one.

"hahaha omg smh" is more worthy when it comes to a seven year old NOT in a booster seat. My daughter isn't small, she's 66 lbs. Boosters are made for children below 100 lbs and below a certain height requirement. I'm used to the looks I get when I take her booster out if we're are switching cars or something and they see my third grader in a booster seat...where she's supposed to me. I took public transportation at one time and my kid always had a carseat for when we would ride in cars. Carseats and boosters are the law where I'm from. It's a shame more people don't take it seriously. It bugs the crap out of me but I'm only responsible for my child and the children riding in my car...who HAVE to have carseats or they can ride with their parents! Maybe they've never seen the damage a serious car crash can do?? I have and that's why I don't play no games when it comes to carseat safety and children. She will be in a booster until she meets height & weight requirements. Eight years old or not...

my love I wouldn't have even justified that bit of childish trolling with an answer. you know what you're doing is right.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Ok my child rearing was from another age and I did have couple of occassions to need one, first one was a severely disabled foster child who didn't see very well and didn't really tolerate a lot of touching but I think liked the security of leading me about as the leash was one of the few things he would tolerate that was at all constricting. The second was a bolter (my very active daugther) who was weirdly enough very insecure about places with large crowds so would get her "leash" (which we referred to as My leash) our of the glove box, hand it to me and tell me to put my leash on as she needed to keep track of me. Lol, all my kids were awesome but their comfort zones were very different. I really doubt most of you would have appreciated a small person (about the size of a 5 years though he was 10) getting in your face without asking permission, but he couldn't ask and was endlessly curious about everything but I had to keep him safe.

So, as you stand there judging Parents and the idea that if they use a leash they must suck as parents, walk a mile in their shoes, for those of you with children I am very glad you all had perfect children in all situations or perhaps risky situations you just left then home with a sitter, we all have our own path to trod and throwing rocks without walking up to a parent and asking them politely why the child needs a leash, please consider your perspective on the situation.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Well, you should know it depends on size. It's safer to be in a booster than not. Try looking up carseat safety rules. I'm sure SHE is making sure her child is as safe as possible.
    Wow... never used a carseat? That's just unsafe IMO! My daughter will be 8 and she still sits in a high backbooster. I can't imagine a two year old never using a carseat... unless they were never in a car!

Wow it's called public transportation...lol

An 8 yr in a booster hahaha omg smh my nephew is 7 and he doesn't use one.

"hahaha omg smh" is more worthy when it comes to a seven year old NOT in a booster seat. My daughter isn't small, she's 66 lbs. Boosters are made for children below 100 lbs and below a certain height requirement. I'm used to the looks I get when I take her booster out if we're are switching cars or something and they see my third grader in a booster seat...where she's supposed to me. I took public transportation at one time and my kid always had a carseat for when we would ride in cars. Carseats and boosters are the law where I'm from. It's a shame more people don't take it seriously. It bugs the crap out of me but I'm only responsible for my child and the children riding in my car...who HAVE to have carseats or they can ride with their parents! Maybe they've never seen the damage a serious car crash can do?? I have and that's why I don't play no games when it comes to carseat safety and children. She will be in a booster until she meets height & weight requirements. Eight years old or not...
    Completely agree with you on the carseat/booster topic. My son was in a booster seat until 4th grade b/c of his weight. He is now 13 years old and barely weighs 100 pounds. I still make him sit in the back of the car b/c of his weight the airbag is not activated in the front passenger seat. Heck, I weigh 108 and I would feel safer riding in the back!
  • love2bthin
    love2bthin Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hey there

I do not believe you should put your child on a leash. They are not animals they are children. You should be able to handle your child when you are out. When my 3 children were little they were either in a stroller or when they got little older we all held hands. They knew how to behave and they had to stick with me. They were not allow to run in a store or walk away from me. We took our children everywhere with us :smile:
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    just like to point out that a stroller is basically the same thing as putting your kid in a harnessp excet in a harness they have a bit of freedom to explore & exercise. yet so much better to keep them under control in a stroller right? such superior parenting :wink:
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this applies in every situation so please don't take it that way. Most of the children that I see on leashes are trying to break free of it, or wrapping it around their neck or getting into something they shouldnt be all while the parents is gazing off into his or her smart phone or shoving their faces or just completely ignoring the kid. Of course the kids is not being disciplined because the busy parent has no clue what is going on. Most leashed kids I have seen seem to be seeking attention from their parents for most of the time they are on the leash.

That being said, what my wife and I practice have people that question it as well. We are baby wearers. We spend the extra money on a carrier for each of our boys comfort and our own. We have a four year old and an 18 month old. I actually enjoy it a lot, even if I do get the occasional weird glance. Having my four year old on my back keeps him from having to yell at the top of his lungs to get my attention because he usually props his head on my shoulder so we are cheek to cheek almost. We can carry on a conversation as normal people would. I have both of my hands free at all times. It would take a crane to yank him off of my back and try to take him anywhere. He is close to me and I can feel him there all the time so I know he is safe. If he does wish to walk, he can get down and hold my hand and i just keep the carrier on my back. When he is tired, throw him right back up on my back. This was a life-saver on a recent family vacation. We took an Amtrak (highly reccomended if you are taking your time and enjoying your travel) across half of the country. With my hands free I could wheel my luggage and not worry about where my son was going or what he was doing. Or worrying about him getting bounced around by a suitcase or something to that effect. My wife and I walked everywhere during our layovers in D.C. and Chicago. It was amazing how much easier it made things. Our youngest was easliy rocked to sleep by the motion of my wife walking. I do not remember any of us complaining about it at all. I just do not see this being possible with a leash.

I feel that if you are depending on something of this nature for your child's safety, you may want to take a look at your ideas of safety.

I totally would have done this if I had known anything about this practice when my girls were little ones. However, in the early 90s, it was essentially unheard of. It simply didn't occur to the average mom. My husband and I both practice babywearing with our 6-month old granddaughter, and we LOVE it! So does she. Glad to see other babywearers putting the word out there!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    just like to point out that a stroller is basically the same thing as putting your kid in a harnessp excet in a harness they have a bit of freedom to explore & exercise. yet so much better to keep them under control in a stroller right? such superior parenting :wink:
    Well said!
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I would never put my kids on a leash. It is called parenting, watch your kids when your out somewhere. I have 4 young kids and I have figured it out...if parents need to put their kid on a leash it is definately because they aren't well behaved/trained to stay close to their parents.

No kids, but I agree..If your child is well trained he/she wont misbehave, and if you watch him/her closely and keep him/her near and incheck, they wont be snatched by anyone.

This!
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Exactly. I love how some parents think strapping toddler to stroller is superior to harness. Well, while your child is sitting there, mine is picking dandelions. Lol

But hey, at least all our kids are safe.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    :)
  • lucyannp
    lucyannp Posts: 15
    Options
    In Britain we have reigns (a harness type thing). I love reigns, think they're great. I had them as a kid. Gives the child independence but you can stop them running into trouble or if they fall you can swing them up and let them carry on. They don't get teasy because you're making them hold your hand all the time and it allows them to explore safely in busy places.

What I hate more is parents who let their kids run around everybody without checking their behaviour or checking that they're safe. Reigns all the way :)
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options

Wait a minuet here....you should be more specific. Because carrying around a 20+ lbs baby/toddler that cannot walk yet is fun?? Lol i think not.

If they are like 3-4 and up...then they should not be in a stroller....unless you are walking around for hours.
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    i wonder what the reaction would have been if someone started a topic titled "parents who don't use harnesses basically hate their kids & don't care enough about them to protect them properly" lol
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

Before the booster seat was invented what was being used? I never told you to take her seat away, she can stay in a booster till college lol
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    i wonder what the reaction would have been if someone started a topic titled "parents who don't use harnesses basically hate their kids & don't care enough about them to protect them properly" lol
    LOL!! Do it!
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    like I said in an earlier post, my son was walking at 9 months & bascically had no interest in his buggy expcept to sleep from 14 months. I am 100% positive that not you or any of of these self proclaimed perfect parents could have "told" or given a "look" to him or any other 14 month old that would have stopped him exploring if he got a mind to it.

Sure he was in his buggy whilst he was basically an inanimate object (baby), lol, but once he found legs he was on them. Tell me now how I should have "kept him in control" (insert eyeroll)

really the amount of bull****e I have read on thread could keep my garden going for a year.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    229437041.jpg

haha
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would, but I came REAL close with my youngest. That girl goes banana's off the sugar in an apple. Truely wish I had a treadmill to put her on. She is my little blonde terror but we persevered and got through it, WITHOUT the use of the kid leash.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Wait! What? You mean to tell me that a stroller is a form of constraint and a leash is a form of a restraint both serve the purpose of keeping a child safe? Mind.Blown.