Lets hear it, who are you related to?

Options

Replies

• mirandamayhem
    Options
    Rex Harrison was my great, great uncle! Not a massive claim to fame because unless you mention audry hepburn no one seems to know who he was, that and he was a horrid specimin of a human being

I did hear he wasn't a nice man, but I also love his films!
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Billy Connolly......just!

Funniest man on the planet.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    My step dad said that the Bond girl in Goldfinger was a relative. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is my hubbys 3rd cousin. She was named after his grandmother who is also Mary Elizabeth Winstead!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935541/bio
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience if anyone is using or thinking of using Ancestry.com

The problem with the site is that the trees are member submitted which means there is no fact checking. Inevitably mistakes get copied and recopied from one tree to another and it's impossible to know the truth. In fairness Ancestry encourages the dismissal of facts because the instant family tree thing is so appealing to most people. Now royal pedigrees to tend to be accurate but the confusion happens because so many had the same names or similar names and enter the wrong one and it self propagates the remaining tree with errors.

I do still volunteer on the site because it does provide access to records but I always tell people get the hard copy of the record and verify every date if they are truly serious about being historically accurate for future descendants.

Otherwise it should be seen as a novelty.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Stonewall Jackson

Same here - - very closely decended actually. we must be cousins (10 times removed?) LOL
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience if anyone is using or thinking of using Ancestry.com

The problem with the site is that the trees are member submitted which means there is no fact checking. Inevitably mistakes get copied and recopied from one tree to another and it's impossible to know the truth. In fairness Ancestry encourages the dismissal of facts because the instant family tree thing is so appealing to most people. Now royal pedigrees to tend to be accurate but the confusion happens because so many had the same names or similar names and enter the wrong one and it self propagates the remaining tree with errors.

I do still volunteer on the site because it does provide access to records but I always tell people get the hard copy of the record and verify every date if they are truly serious about being historically accurate for future descendants.

Otherwise it should be seen as a novelty.

I wish you could tell my mother, my aunt, and my cousin's stupid wife this! They swear by Ancestry.com. They all claim to have disproven my research... and I started at the public library!!!! Go figure!
  • kmel2479
    kmel2479 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    William Bradford-Pilgrim and Governor of Plymouth was my great grandfather*10 and also William Brewster,great grandfather*12 Pilgrim. I'm thinking a lot of us can be traced back to them since there was only a small number of people who first came over during the 1600's. I think it's cool though:) Both are great grandfathers
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Lucky *kitten*. Anyone want to trade a scientist or a politician for a guy that started ww1?
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    :) WIll Ferrel by way of my Grandmother.

Ferrell*
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I was told my family are decedents of Robert the Bruce.
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    wow WHitey Bulger... ive read tons of books about him, what a crazy life
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My great great grandfather on my father's side is John Duffin. You don't know his name but you know his achievements. He was a wealthy industrialist who financed the construction of Wrigley Field in Chicago, as well gave Robert Ripley the loan he needed to get started opening up his exhibit at the World's Fair.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Noone that I know of but now I'd like to find out
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    Not so famous, but Mickey Gilley (old country singer who used to be on HeeHaw) is my dad's cousin...I don't remember how far removed, but not really far.

And on my mom's side, my Great Great Grandmother was Minnesota Windsor...yes, from England, and yes, those Windsors. Supposedly she had two brothers that had titles-one a lord and one an earl or some such, in both Scotland and England. Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away last year before I could write down all the cool stuff she remembered! :frown:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I am related to Daniel Boone!
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My dad has a huge book that his uncle paid to have made, that goes back a couple hundred years of family history and the only name i read that might be considered famous was Black Jack Ketchum, he was a train robber.
  • nikket3000
    nikket3000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am somehow through my maternal grandmother related to Liliane Bettencourt. She is a French heiress, socialite, businesswoman and philanthropist. She is one of the principal shareholders of L'Oréal and, with a fortune estimated at US$23.5 billion, is one of the wealthiest people in the world

Also my grandfather on my fathers side was a renowned Jazz pianist who played with Miles Davis in NYC. He had his own television show too. He passed away about three years ago though.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    Rex Harrison was my great, great uncle! Not a massive claim to fame because unless you mention audry hepburn no one seems to know who he was, that and he was a horrid specimin of a human being

I have to say, he may have been a horrid specimen, but between the ORIGINAL Dr. Doolittle and My Fair Lady, I was captivated by him as a child!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I am somehow through my maternal grandmother related to Liliane Bettencourt. She is a French heiress, socialite, businesswoman and philanthropist. She is one of the principal shareholders of L'Oréal and, with a fortune estimated at US$23.5 billion, is one of the wealthiest people in the world

Also my grandfather on my fathers side was a renowned Jazz pianist who played with Miles Davis in NYC. He had his own television show too. He passed away about three years ago though.
    That is really cool! We had a French foreign exchange student stay with us and either her grandfather or great-grandfather founded L'Oreal, I can't remember which.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    My Mother said Chuck Norris came to a family reunion I did not attend. He is married to her cousin.

Oh and my Dad "famously" whipped my *kitten* when I needed it.:cry::drinker: