Lets hear it, who are you related to?

Options

Replies

• theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Keanu Reeves. He's my third cousin.

While we're at it, my family reunions are always big because we are direct descendants of King Kamehameha.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Has anyone realized that if you trace your ancestry back far enough, you are related to essentially everyone at some point?

You have 2 parents
    You have 4 grandparents
    You have 8 great-grandparents
    You have 16 great-great grandparents

Assuming an average 25 years or so for each generation, there were approximately 512 people alive at the time of the American Revolution that were your direct ancestor. Go back 400 years and you had 65,536 direct ancestors. One doesn't have to be a math genius to see that eventually everyone's family tree will converge. In fact, it's a guarantee that some of your ancestors appear in more than one part of your tree. So, everyone is related to someone famous if you go back far enough.
  • tycusjay
    tycusjay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    On my Dad's side, I am related to Princess Diana and on my Mum's side, i'm related to John Lennon
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm related to Judy Garland...if that counts?? :D
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My third cousin is George Harrison from the beatles! (We are both the poor and tone deaf side of the family lol). WE share a common great great Grandma and no, we have never met!
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mayflower descendant: John Alden and Priscilla Mullins.

So am I! My British side goes back to the Mayflower, and my dad's side (the American side), goes back to one of the early settler boats from Germany. My great-grandfather was also a 'famous' dentist and worked in the empire state building, I believe :D yeeha.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Well, he's not a famous person in history but I'm related to Dwayne Martin, he's my mom's sisters son. So, we are first cousins and Kym Whitley a comedian and actress. She's my dad's brother's daughter. So, another first cousin.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    my family tree traces directly back to this bad *kitten*:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh, Im also directly related to Agnes Moorehead (actress, Grandmother on Bewitched). GGG Grandmother...something like that. lol
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lol. I actually am related to the Queen of England. On my Dad's side, our family tree goes back to the time of Henry VIII etc. :laugh:

My paternal grandmother's family is descended from the House of Hamilton- the family of Anne Boleyn, 2nd wife of Henry VIII! !
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Daniel Boone
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Oliver Cromwell Protector of the Queen. My great grandmother maiden name on my on my mom's side was Cromwell before she married. She looked a lot like the actor James Cromwell so I think I am related to him too.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    John and Priscilla Alden of the Mayflower, Mary Estey of the Salem witch trials, and Paul Harris, founder of Rotary International.
  • kympow
    kympow Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    On my dads side we are suppose to be related to U.S. Grant....and my cousin is Dennis Cockrum (google him you'll recognize his beautiful face :)
  • h2oophelia
    h2oophelia Posts: 48
    Options
    Daniel Boone

Hey, we're related! I'm a direct descendant of Daniel Boone. The Boone's are the best. :)
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm in the movies and I am related to myself. That and I am related to Kit Carson.
  • ShelleyStev
    Options
    I have discovered through Ancestry.com some very interesting ancestors of mine. My 8th GGrandfather was on the jury for the Salem Witch Trials, my 10th GGrandparents and their son, my 9th GGrandfather with the name Fuller came over on the Mayflower and signed the Mayflower Compact, then I have 2 grandparents whose lineage takes me back to King Edward and his brother, Edmund, who were the sons of King Henry. This line leads back to Charlegmane. Great thread. It's so interesting.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Dunno if I'm related to anyone famous (I'm sure on my father's side I have Mafia relations, gotta love a straight-from-the-old-country Italian grandmother) but I do know that on my mother's side I have Atakapa Native American blood in me. This particular tribe was known for its ceremonial cannibalism. They ate those that were bitten by snakes (bad juju and whatnot) and their enemies.

Due to my last name, though, I've been thought to be a relation to a local news anchor. My first and middle have people asking if I'm related to whoever started up the Sara Lee brand (yes that's my name, I hate it) and I was often asked about getting free cheesecakes and whatnot throughout school.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Oliver Cromwell Protector of the Queen. My great grandmother maiden name on my on my mom's side was Cromwell before she married. She looked a lot like the actor James Cromwell so I think I am related to him too.
    Um...he didn't protect the queen. He was an anti-royalist who was instrumental in the temporary banishment of the monarchy in England and the execution of King Charles.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Mark Twain and Acee Blue Eagle.