Lets hear it, who are you related to?

Options

Replies

• wcj61
    wcj61 Posts: 13
    Options
    MacBeth (yes, that one) and, further back, William the Conqueror. All on my maternal grandmother's side. On my mom's side...well, we love 'em anyway.
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Per my maternal family story we are part Mohawk and are related to Ethan Allen (American patriot). Recently I got curious and did a family search, I lost track of the Vermont portion of the family so I couldn't identify the Ethan Allan or Mohawk relationships but I found a clear link to Rufus Joslin (a revolutionary war soldier for the British) on my maternal side. Funny no one mentioned the Tory relationship.. 8*) I think the Irish/Scottish family link resulted in my maternal family developing a touch of Dissociative identity disorder when it comes to the British..
  • Studiousone75
    Studiousone75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The most notable thing I remember in scanning through the family genealogies that my Grandmother and Grammie had is that some ancestor or other was at Yorktown with Cornwallis at the final surrender of the Revolutionary War. Got a ton of "six degrees of separations" but no real known famous blood connections on my side. On my husband's side however, his Grandma was a Morrow and a cousin of Anne Morrow Lindbergh and my mother in law claims that they're related to Robert Burns, the poet. Don't know how verifiable that is but whatever. Not terribly life changing one way or the other. In the end, if you could really trace it far enough back every who ever lived is at least distantly related.

My great-great-great-great-grandfather William Butler was present at the surrender of General Cornwallis to General Washington in 1781. He was a young soldier of about 19 to 20 years of age. I found out his involvement on his pension request for his service in the American Revolution online.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm related to Lars Ulrich, the drummer from Metallica.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mayflower descendent and I'm related to Calvin Coolidge, both on my dad's side.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mayflower descendent and I'm related to Calvin Coolidge, both on my dad's side.

Oh you poor thing. I would hate being related to Calvin Coolidge. Most. Boring. Presidency. Ever.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Mom's side - Princess Di

Dad's side - Engineer on the Golden Gate bridge and engineer on the panama canal.

My husband is related to Sir Francis Drake and his Great uncle was killed in the St. Valenties day massacres(this one got me a good deal on a car).
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 368
    Options
    I'm told Betsy Ross, the American Flag originator.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Cecil B DeMille-Grandmothers second cousin.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Jack hanna
  • Studiousone75
    Studiousone75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My German great-grandfather used to say he was a 5th cousin to Otto von Bismarck, the first leader of a unified Germany. Checking out Otto's mother's side, it turned out her family came from the same locality of Germany that my great-grandfather came from and had the same surname. My great-grandfather very likely knew the exact connection in order to make such a specific relationship claim, but I need to do research to find this link.

I'm also a 6th cousin once removed to President Lyndon B. Johnson through common ancestry of a Swiss family who came over to America in 1749. This is verified.

If other people's research is correct, then I"m also distantly related to the British royal family, too, with ancestry going back to William the Conqueror, Charlemagne and many others.

I'm also descended from an American Revolution War soldier, a great-great-great-great-grandfather William Butler, who was present at the surrender of General Cornwallis to General Washington at Yorktown in 1781. He related this as part of his soldier service on his pension request for his miltiary service when he was an old man.

I also am a distant cousin to the Stark family who founded the Stark Brothers Nursery, at which my great-grandfather's 3rd cousins first introduced the Red Delicious and Golden Delicious apples to the world. The common ancestry was via the Jacoby family. A fourth cousin twice removed, Lloyd B. Stark, was governor of Missouri, serving 1936-1940, and was once considered for Vice President to President Franklin Roosevelt for the 1940 elections. Governor Stark said he was not interested.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    Jack hanna

I would make him bring baby jaguars to Thanksgiving.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Most of Sweden, Italy and Israel. Lots of famous people in all of those places. So those peeps.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    Most of Sweden, Italy and Israel. Lots of famous people in all of those places. So those peeps.

ABBA!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Im a direct decendent of the Mccoys (Hatfield & Mccoys).

Ha! My Grandmother is a direct decedent of the Hatfields...( Does this mean we have to have a dual now?)
  • countryclowgirl
    countryclowgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everybody can find someone famous in there family history. Me I am Henry VIII
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Lol. I actually am related to the Queen of England. On my Dad's side, our family tree goes back to the time of Henry VIII etc. :laugh:

Doesn't everyones? :):)

BTW, I'm King George and so is my son!
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kaiser Wilhelm, who is a somewhat distant relative. Herbert Hoover is my great-grandfather's cousin. Both crappy historical figures.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    On my Dad's side, I am related to Princess Diana and on my Mum's side, i'm related to John Lennon

So cool!!!!

I love John Lennon!!!!
  • AspiringPinkPinUp
    Options
    I'm related to Chester Greenwood- inventor of the earmuffs. :smile: