Which food(s) have you given up completely?

Options

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have given up most meat...occasionally do a bit of meat, mostly chicken breast or fish if I choose to eat it.
    Also, most dairy, I do eat greek yogurt about everyday in my morning smoothie.
    The SALT SHAKER. This has been my toughest challenge!
    Anything processed--I eat mostly fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, and nuts/seeds.

In a nutshell, I have moved to a plant based diet. I can eat a great volume of food every day and fairly easily stay within calorie limits. Since starting this almost a month ago, I have lost 6 lbs, not a huge amount in general but a good amount and don't feel one bit deprived.
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    soda.

but, thats basically it. Everything else I enjoy in life I have every now and again. And 9 times outta 10 within my calorie allotment for the day.

Me too!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm a food addict, so "moderation" doesn't really work for me. When I quit smoking I went completely cold turkey, it was the only way. All or nothing.

Obviously I can't quit food cold turkey, but I can quit *some* foods...

Processed sugary carbs (cookies, cake-y stuff, donuts, bfast cereals, etc.)
    Pasta
    Anything breaded, deep fried
    Chocolate :(
    Booze (for now -- I fully intend to live it up when I spend my birthday week in Paris!)
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up anything so far. I believe in everything in moderation. I don't want to deprive myself and then end up gaining the weight back in the end.

I just try to limit stuff that's not good for me. Instead of having the XL french fry, I will have the small one if I am craving it. Some with ice cream. I can't live in a world where I can't get my ice cream on!!! :laugh:

AGREE! I buy little tiny ice creams to indulge on. I try, for the most part, to eat healthy foods, but do have junk that I want in moderation now and again. The only things I don't eat are meat or fish, but that's not for weight loss reasons :-).
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bread, but only because I'm experimenting to see if it makes a change to my weight loss. I believe it has in the past.

Other than that nothing, I was always a healthy eater anyway with very little processed foods in my diet.

I haven't even given up alcohol :O ....'Ive lost 35lbs to date, 28 of them before MFP
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    fries actually ALL fried food!
    cake
    cookies
    pie
    ice cream/shakes
    regular peanut butter -- replace with natural
    hamburgers -- replace with grill chicken
    steak
    milk -- replace with unsweatned soy milk
    sodas including diet -- replace with unsweet tea (not even sweet n low)
    mash potatoes and gravy
    bisquits and gravy
    donuts
    bagels
    chips -- (except a few at Mexican restaurants)
    sugared kid cereal
    sour cream/guac dips in general
    high calorie salad dressings like ranch
    pancakes -- might as well just eat cake for breakfast.
    white bread -- replace with whole wheat
    full fat/sugar yogurt -- replace with Chobana. :)
    candy -- except maybe a jolly rancher etc if offered by a friend. But I'd never go out of my way to get it.
    mayo -- so I must make my own tuna
    macaroni and cheese
    top ramin
    beef jerky

I'd avoid all white pasta if I could get my wife on board with that and replace it with wheat pasta-- but she can't do it. SO I limit that as much as I can and eat more veg on spaghetti night.

I think that covers it... ;D
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i have a little of everything that i used to like, but i can't remember the last time i had a milkshake or ice cream. i've also largely given up peanut butter. anything that's 190 cals per tablespoon is just too calorie dense to be worth it.

also, i haven't had the admiral's feast at red lobster in years.
  • TonyM1984
    TonyM1984 Posts: 267
    Options
    10kaday, man I cant switch from white pasta to wheat pasta either. I dont know what it is but if its wheat pasta, id rather not have it at all!
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options

pancakes -- might as well just eat cake for breakfast.

has anyone else seen that IHOP commercial for the "red velvet pancakes" where the woman is like 'this tastes just like a cupcake!" ? its because it IS a cupcake! its a stack of three huge cupcakes, for BREAKFAST! eww
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking much less Alcohol. Mostly because losing 63 pounds has turned me into a lightweight. Previously when everyone else was doing shots of Tequila around the campfire I was drinking Amaretto. It's almost twice the calories so I've found silver Tequila which doesn't give me headaches oh and so-co & lime.

That being said I don't drink as much because I am now a cheap drunk. I may still have an amaretto on the rocks if I'm out to dinner as an aparetif but that's different than pounding shots.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    None! Why should I give up anything?
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Like others, I don't want to give up something totally, because I know that I will crave it even more! However, at the moment I have stopped having:

chocolate
    crisps
    potatoes
    soda

I am trying to have less coffee and rely (if this is a good word) more on green tea - I want to develop this habit that whenever I feel tired/sleepy and need something to pick me up, I will choose green tea, rather than coffee! So far so good, instead of having 2 coffees per day, I've now had only 3 coffees in nearly 2 weeks!
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Fried foods, donuts, and regular soda (diet only on occasion) is probably the only things I will not eat anymore. But everything else I probably have eaten, just in smaller quantities. Moderation is key!
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    None! Why should I give up anything?

This! I'm currently eating leftover pizza ;)
  • HoundDown
    Options
    Fries
    Milk chocolate
    Cream cheese
    Goat and Cow milk - Only drink Almond milk
    Any type of soda
    Hot dogs
    Hamburgers
    Preserved meats (ham, salami, bologna)
    Chips
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    my beloved fudge
    chocolate
    donuts
    white bread, pasta, rice
    butter
    jam
    peanut butter
    reeces peanut butter cups *wail*
    mocha
    pasties
    red meat mostly
    cheese and onion crisps
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    i really haven't totally given up any foods, i just portion control the foods that i know aren't as healthy for me. although i haven't eaten any pasta or sugary cereals since i started my healthy eating.
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    On the rig at 10am its Bacon sandwhich time and then at 4pm its cake time. Now I sit there with fruit and nuts as the lads dig in and tell me what I'm missing! (the gits lol)
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Carbs keeping them severely restricted. My native body is NOT designed for white man diet...whoop!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    pasta
    soda
    duchess cheeseburgers/fries