Anyone here take vitamins on a daily basis?

Options

Replies

• BeanQueen3000
    Options
    None for me. I must be the only person on MFP for whom vitamins and supplements= quackery.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Currently taking GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active. I chose them because they seemed pretty well-balanced and they were a great price at Sam's Club. They are flavored though (vanilla, with sucralose added). And I find that part of the vitamin-taking experience pretty awful. I like vitamins. I like vanilla just fine. I don't really give a crap about sucralose either way, but I'd just go without it if given the option. But seriously, WHY do you need to flavor vitamins that aren't chewable? Who licks their vitamins? (Don't answer that :huh:) But the, um, aroma is a little overwhelming to me, even if I don't let it hit my taste buds before throwing it back. Thank goodness it's only once a day and I'm not usually very awake when I take them. :tongue:

Anyway... I think as soon as I finish out the supply I have, I will be shopping again. I get nervous about shopping for multivitamins, because it's so difficult to separate the useful ingredients from the ones that are pure hype, even within one pill. I don't want to have to pay for something that I really wouldn't choose to take if it wasn't included in the pill, except everything else I want IS in there. But I don't really have the cabinet space to use each and every supplement individually (I was starting to amass a collection, but realized to get everything I want and need through individual supplements, I would also have to buy a Caboodles to carry them all).

I do want to start back up on fish oil, as I remember that I felt better overall when I was taking it regularly (although that's kind of anecdotal/possibly placebo - but it's still on my medical chart, and I just kind of nod & say "mmhmm" while avoiding eye contact as the nurse runs down my list of supplements), and I have Citracal +D which I was taking by itself before I started on the multivitamin.

GNC also makes Women's Ultra Mega in capsules. They're not flavored, and I find I'm able to take them easier.

Thanks! I will have to look for those. I like the vitamin balance of them in general; I just don't like the taste/smell/etc. of these particular ones.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take:
    3000IU Vitamin D
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Prenatal Vitamin - Zatean-PN (containing magnesium, iron, zinc)
    Fish Oil

And even though these aren't vitamins, I also take:
    a heaping teaspoon of fresh natural royal jelly (yuck)
    Probiotics
  • dmbgoral
    dmbgoral Posts: 27
    Options
    Iron, B12 and a multivitamin
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    I take a prescription prenatal vitamin because I am breastfeeding my daughter. I also take a B complex and a few other supplements for increasing lactation :)

I also take a probiotic 3 times a day.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, additional Vit E, B-Complex, D and Iron. Also Fish Oil. My kids get gummy vites also.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    oh you just reminded me to take mine! =) Mutli and D
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take the Kirkland Signature Daily Multipack deal from Costco. I always feel like I'm going to puke right after I take them, but if I take them consistently for a few days I get tons of energy.

Take it with food. It'll make you nauseous othewise.
  • Wenchilada
    Options
    None for me. I must be the only person on MFP for whom vitamins and supplements= quackery.

Eh, I can't say I blame you. For the base nutrients I don't always get in my food every day (like calcium, iron, B-complex), I find them helpful to fill in the gaps. But that's pretty much what I meant by being anxious about shopping for vitamins, because I never know what other crap they are going to try to sell me instead of (or in addition to) what I actually went in for.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Sure do!

A women's multivitamine, and a B50 supplement by doctor's orders. (have to take it until I go through menopause)
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/

While there might be some evidence supporting the use of a handful of supplements for specific purposes, It really doesn't seem worthwhile at all to drop the $.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Zinc
    Baby aspirin
    Fish oil (when I remember to buy it)

I alternate Vitamin C, A, and E

All per my doctor - the magnesium helps my migraines so I don't have to take my maxalt mlt as often
  • mariel12982
    Options
    Happy Tuesday :)

Every morning I take a calcium suppliment & Vitamin D & Multi Vitamin.

It helps my energy level! My doctor suggested it.
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Prenatal
    Spring Valley Combination Fish/Flaxseed/Borage Oil
    CLA Tonalin
    Super B-Complex
    CoQ 10
    cinnamon

I probably go a little overboard!
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take Fish Oil, Vitamin B12, D and Folic Acid every day. I have heard that 100% Cherry Juice and Cod Liver Oil are amazing for joint health.
  • Wenchilada
    Options

While there might be some evidence supporting the use of a handful of supplements for specific purposes, It really doesn't seem worthwhile at all to drop the $.

Whoa, that's a really interesting chart. I love how it's broken down by the conditions the products are being used to treat.

Bookmarking that for later reference! Thanks!:bigsmile:
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of things per day, (I have done for years) .. I take 32 tablets in total. (not all different ones)

I only take a few B vits.. the rest are various types of oils, minerals, amino acids and metals. (too many to mention!)
  • wilson522
    wilson522 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep, I take the following daily...

* 1 - centrum chewable multi vitamin
    * 1 - chewable calcium
    * 1 - chewable vitamin C
    * 1 - Iron
    * 1 - B-complex
    * 1 - folic acid
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    Multi vitamin, some extra D and B12. I'll be starting the fish oil when I find out which one my cousin takes because apparently it doesn't taste bad.
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Yes the prices can be a bit high sometimes but I always look for the buy 1 get 1 sales then use two coupons (internet or newspaper generally have some) to make the price lower. I don't think I've ever paid more than $5 for any vitamin/supplement. I try to stock up when I can.