Couch to 5km Graduates!!!

Options
Hi everyone, some of us on the couch to 5km threads have graduated/finished our first 5km and talked about creating a "graduate" thread.

I thought I would get the ball rolling and see who out there has "graduated" from the program and what is your next goal, small and large that you want to accomplish with your running? or do youi just want to continue running the 5km?

Everyone is welcome to chat, post, comment!!! Looking forward to all the stories!!!:drinker: Cheers to everyone who graduated or is close to graduating!!!!!

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Ya! Thanks so much for this thread! I've not run this week, because I've been sick, but since I've graduated I've just been adding a couple of minutes to each run. The last time I ran it was 34 minutes.

I was thinking about 'Gallowaying' - running then walking for one minute in intervals to try and get my speed and time up, but just hanging in there for now!

Again thanks for this thread!
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    Still a freshman here, I started the program on Monday and looking forward to doing week two, My goals after it is done is to increase my distance to run 10 miles but I know that will take some time to complete. Maybe even do a marathon run.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yay! Next week I "graduate" from C25k, so I'll start posting my runs over here after that. I plan to continue adding two minutes a week for a week or so and then I'm going to start Hal Higdon's novice 10k plan. It is an eight week program, with runs 3x a week- so I thought it was a good progression from the C25k.

Wecandothis: I am also interested in Galloway's programs and philosophy - so I'm glad to see someone is doing it who can report back.

My goal is to sign up for and run a 10k in February. Then, there is a charity 1/2 marathon I want to run in May.

My long term goal: I want to work up to running 25 miles a week and THEN start thinking about a marathon(so, we're talking about a year after I started C25k). :bigsmile:
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I still have about 3 weeks on the couch to 5k program, but my ultimate goal is a half marathon in VA next march. I'm planning to do a 5k once or twice by the end of this year. Then a 10k in Jan or early Feb. Then the marathon.
    Congrats to those who have finished the program:drinker:
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Yay! Next week I "graduate" from C25k, so I'll start posting my runs over here after that. I plan to continue adding two minutes a week for a week or so and then I'm going to start Hal Higdon's novice 10k plan. It is an eight week program, with runs 3x a week- so I thought it was a good progression from the C25k.

Wecandothis: I am also interested in Galloway's programs and philosophy - so I'm glad to see someone is doing it who can report back.

My goal is to sign up for and run a 10k in February. Then, there is a charity 1/2 marathon I want to run in May.

My long term goal: I want to work up to running 25 miles a week and THEN start thinking about a marathon(so, we're talking about a year after I started C25k). :bigsmile:

It sounds like you have everything set in place. It is great that you are wanting to continue with your running. I am curious to hear about the 10K program. So, can't wait to hear how you like it.
    Have a great weekend. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I am a graduate, who never thought that I could run. I definetly fooled myself. I am signed up for my first 5K for net weekend. I am really excited about it. I plan on going out today and running. I guess I should up my minutes a little, since I know that 30 mins for me is not long enough to finish the 5K. I run at a pretty slow pace. It will probably take me about 45 mins, maybe a little less. We will have to see.
    I am glad that we have this thread now, to keep us going now that we are done with the program.
    I hope that everyone has a safe and happy Halloween. :bigsmile:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    awww Im so glad so many people found the thread :) welcome all!!!!! congrats to everyone who finished the 5km is close to finishing, and a BIG congrats to those who have just started their running journey!!1 keep up the great work!!

I am actually going for a short run this afternoon after I get home from work. I need to get a bit of exercise in before I got dance the night away at a costume dance lol!!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I graduated Couch to 5K on May 16 and can definitely say that I am addicted to running. Never thought I would be able to say that, but it's true! Congrats to us all!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I finished the c25k program and my graduation day is November 28. Just four more weeks! I'm so excited. I don't know what my plans are after graduation yet. I just want to finish the run. :laugh: That's my goal for now. :bigsmile: Congratulations to those who've graduated and good luck to those who are still doing the c25k. :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hey all! I graduated Couch to 5K on May 16 and can definitely say that I am addicted to running. Never thought I would be able to say that, but it's true! Congrats to us all!

Shuntae, you're my inspiration... I feel like you progressed SO quickly after "graduating". You rock, girl! :drinker:

I graduated from Couch to 5k, and ran my first 5k all in the last weekend of August. I am currently doing the "One Hour Runner" program. It prepares you to be able to run for 60 minutes straight. My goal is currently distance, not speed. So far, so good. My long run last week was 41 minutes, and I actually found it very do-able (won't say "easy" :laugh: ).

This is a neat idea for a group... I'm excited :smile:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I haven't heard of this "One Hour Runner" program - going to look it up on line. What's the program? I find it motivating to read about different programs.

I just finished my W9 D1 run of C25k. The wind was blowing so hard, my thighs feel frozen through. I think it is time to find some winter running tights or pants.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hmmm - I haven't heard of this "One Hour Runner" program - going to look it up on line. What's the program? I find it motivating to read about different programs.

I just finished my W9 D1 run of C25k. The wind was blowing so hard, my thighs feel frozen through. I think it is time to find some winter running tights or pants.

You can find information about One Hour Runner here: http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I'll be starting Week 7 today some time. Seems like every run I've done for the last week has been with a nasty wind. Temp hasn't been too bad, but heading into or away from the eind makes a huge difference. But if you're going to run in Kansas it's something you have to deal with.

This week I'll be signing up for a 2 mile Turkey Trot on 11-21, and then my first 5K on Dec 12th.
    I'm getting excited about those. And I'm glad this thread was started, I was starting wonder what I would do after my 5K, probably run another one and improve my time.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was one week away from graduating and had a little horseback dismount mishap. I now have a torn meniscus and will have surgery in early December. I'm sure by the time I am through PT, I will have to start over on the Couch to 5K. Oh well...I'll just be excited to get back into exercising. I'm very limited in what I can do right now.:frown:

Keep running everyone!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

I'll be starting Week 7 today some time. Seems like every run I've done for the last week has been with a nasty wind. Temp hasn't been too bad, but heading into or away from the eind makes a huge difference. But if you're going to run in Kansas it's something you have to deal with.

This week I'll be signing up for a 2 mile Turkey Trot on 11-21, and then my first 5K on Dec 12th.
    I'm getting excited about those. And I'm glad this thread was started, I was starting wonder what I would do after my 5K, probably run another one and improve my time.

I kinda miss Kansas. :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just to let you all know, there is a Gateway to 8K program I've been on for a while now. You get the interval music from podrunner.com. You start out at something like four 8-minute intervals with 1-minute rests and 10 min of warmup/cool down and work up to 50 straight minutes of running. Right now I'm at four 12-minute intervals with the 1-minute rests, but sometimes I just take one or two rests. I didn't do the Couch to 5K because I could already run a 5K when I found the website. You just download the music for free like you can for the C25K. There's also a Highway to 10K on the same podrunner website that gets you up to an hour of running. This program helped me complete my first 9 minute mile (which was followed by 3.5 more!). Congrats to everyone who's graduated!
  • Iffer75
    Options

Shuntae, you're my inspiration... I feel like you progressed SO quickly after "graduating". You rock, girl! :drinker:

I graduated from Couch to 5k, and ran my first 5k all in the last weekend of August. I am currently doing the "One Hour Runner" program. It prepares you to be able to run for 60 minutes straight. My goal is currently distance, not speed. So far, so good. My long run last week was 41 minutes, and I actually found it very do-able (won't say "easy" :laugh: ).

This is a neat idea for a group... I'm excited :smile:

Wow, 41 miles? That is awesome. Have you ran any marathons? :bigsmile:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about the gateway too. I printed off the program and was looking at the podrunner as well.

I cant wait to get up to 8 and 10 km!!!!Then its on to the half marathon (hopefully!!!!) I'm so glad everyone is here!!!!
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I was one week away from graduating and had a little horseback dismount mishap. I now have a torn meniscus and will have surgery in early December. I'm sure by the time I am through PT, I will have to start over on the Couch to 5K. Oh well...I'll just be excited to get back into exercising. I'm very limited in what I can do right now.:frown:

Keep running everyone!

Sorry to hear about the mishap, I know how that goes with horses though. I luckily have not broken any bones while riding or getting bucked off. Only one concussion. I was lucky with all the years that I did ride. I am jealous that you have horses. I miss the mornings and nites with them. They were always therapeutic for me. I hope the surgery goes well for you. What are you doing in the mean time while waiting? :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I kinda miss Kansas. :smile:

I miss my mom, but I don't miss Kansas. :bigsmile: