Couch to 5km Graduates!!!

Options

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is doing well!

I ran my first 5K race yesterday and completed it with a time of 34:16. Pretty good. :smile: I am thinking I will start Gateway to 8K next week and take this week to just run 3.1 miles three times.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options

I ran my first 5K race yesterday and completed it with a time of 34:16. Pretty good. :smile: I am thinking I will start Gateway to 8K next week and take this week to just run 3.1 miles three times.

Steph - awesome!!!! How did you feel? Was it a super crowded race? You must be so proud... and GREAT job on your time! High five!!!:flowerforyou:
  • savvystephy
    Options

Steph - awesome!!!! How did you feel? Was it a super crowded race? You must be so proud... and GREAT job on your time! High five!!!:flowerforyou:

I am super proud! Thanks! There were 24 people - I was 23rd. :tongue: But top in my age group.. since i was the only one in my age group. haha. In the middle of the race when I was dying I thought I wasn't liking it.. but at the end when I heard my time it was great. It was a very relaxed race and everyone was friendly. This 60-something year old man ran with me for the last 1/10th of a mile to motivate me to the finish (he had finished WAY ahead of me). It was sweet. But, I just ordered a neck gaiter because after the race my lungs were killing me due to the cold air.. I have been coughing yesterday and today, so I am going to take precautions from now on in warming the air before I breathe it in. :smile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

Way to go! My fastest time that I've clocked is 34:28....I am the president of the turtle club! I am slow but I'll go the distance (just give me time)

Ran 7 miles yesterday - to run 3 Tuesday, 5 Wednesday and 8 Saturday (or Sunday...whichever is better weather day predictions)

songbird-you'll finish for sure! way to go
  • savvystephy
    Options

Way to go! My fastest time that I've clocked is 34:28....I am the president of the turtle club! I am slow but I'll go the distance (just give me time)

Ran 7 miles yesterday - to run 3 Tuesday, 5 Wednesday and 8 Saturday (or Sunday...whichever is better weather day predictions)

songbird-you'll finish for sure! way to go

Thanks! You have done so well Chrissy! You are an inspiration. :smile:
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm slower than all y'all! But, I finally got back on the treadmill for gateway to 8k - Week1 day2. So there :-)
  • savvystephy
    Options
    I ran an easy 3.3 miles at a pretty slow pace (about 12:12 / mile). It felt good to be running though today, I didn't care how fast I was going - just that I was going.

Great job Jan! :)
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    The "wanna be" runner's thread locked - can't seem to find the new location. Today was a aqua fit class day - made it to they gym and logged my food today. Tomorrow plan to do gateway to 8k wk1 run 3.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Had to do W10D2 of the G28K on the treadmill tonight...bleh! Boring, but I did it. :wink: Saturday or Sunday will be my last run of the program...wow!!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Had to do W10D2 of the G28K on the treadmill tonight...bleh! Boring, but I did it. :wink: Saturday or Sunday will be my last run of the program...wow!!

Congratulations! Run 5 miles! :bigsmile: Well, 4.97 to be technical. :tongue: I'll be starting it next week! :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Congratulations! Run 5 miles! :bigsmile: Well, 4.97 to be technical. :tongue: I'll be starting it next week! :smile:

Yay!! I'll be starting the Highway to 10K. The first couple weeks look like they'll be too easy though, so I'll probably do a day of Week 1 and two days of Week 2 and then start Week 3 and go from there like normal.
  • savvystephy
    Options

Yay!! I'll be starting the Highway to 10K. The first couple weeks look like they'll be too easy though, so I'll probably do a day of Week 1 and two days of Week 2 and then start Week 3 and go from there like normal.

Very cool. :smile:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hi runners! :) Just checking in... I've been absent from this thread for a week - (yesterday marked 1 week from when I sprained my ankle). I completely rested it for a few days, then eased into the 30 day shred, where i had left off, with modifications for jumps, etc. - so I didn't have to let everything go.

Yesterday, I ventured out and bought MY VERY FIRST PAIR OF RUNNING SHOES EVER!!! (Well, I'd bought some before, but never with the intention of running in them, they were just "cute", and then I had them on hand when I started to run). This is different. Feels like I've EARNED them. I'm so pumped to try them out...

So, today I'm back at it. It's weird to look back and realize that since I started running in July with Cto5K, this is the first time I've gone any more than 2 days without running. That in itself is an accomplishment. 6 months of fairly consistent exercise!

NOt sure what to expect with endurance, speed, etc - but I plan to get out there and just enjoy it ... I'll report back in.
    Happy to have this thread, and look forward to hearing more of your challenges and victories!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Broke in the new shoes today! :happy: :happy: Yay! Felt good to get back out there. I don't know for sure how long the run was (my ipod needed to be recharged - so I ran w/o music or a clock).. I'm thinking maybe 25 mins? It felt good!!!
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Good for you smiles. I love new running shoes.I actually need to get ou and buy a new pair. I can feel my heels starting to hurtin my now so I think its time to invest in a new pair.

Glad your run was great :)
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Finished week 1 of Gateway to 8k today. Next run will be wk 2 day 1. I ended up running quite a bit farther than the podcast took me, so if I do equally as well on wk2 day 1, I may just go ahead and move up a bit. We'll see! It's exciting to have a sudden spurt of great progress again! My distance today 4.35 miles! Woo hoo!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Jan, that's awesome!!! Good for you! I was wondering if you had decided not to do Gateway to 8K.. saw a while back that you were doing it, then it looked like maybe not?

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck. Got a little discouraged with doing Gto8K that first week, b/c I was pushing myself to go FASTER!!!! And, I found it REALLY REALLY helps to have other peeps who are doing the same program to check in with.. a sense of community takes me a long way.

I went out again today - felt like I was going slow and that I've backslid some, but what matters is that I'm not using that as an excuse to stop altogether, right? Only way to get better is to keep working at it. Ran 12, walked 2, ran 10, walked 3, then ran 2 at a faster pace with longer stride, walked the rest. Only 24 mins jogging (I had been up to well over 30), but... I will get there again. :)
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Smiles, that's how my runs earlier this week were - and today it was totally different. Don't give up! Did you get the podcasts? http://www.djsteveboy.com/gw28k.html

It's taken me a while to adjust to the music... but I think I'm getting used to them now. I ran just in tempo with it today on the intervals, and did great! Hang in there, you'll get it.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Jan - I read your post the other day and it was helpful, my mind is in the right place. Good to know you're getting used to the podcasts.

I went out this morning - 2 miles up the hill to see my m-i-l (walked a mile, ran a mile), then jogged the 2 miles back down. The 2 mile downhill jog was 20 mins exactly - so that's a 10 min mile. What pace are you running at? ARe you pushing for quicker, or feeling comfortable where you are? Keep it up!!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I ran wk2day1 today - I ran out of podcast before running out of distance - went a total of 3.8 miles (including warm-up and cool-down times). Next time, I'm going to run the same route, but try to go faster to match up the podcast with the distance :-)

I think I've gotten slower, but I can go farther!