Couch to 5km Graduates!!!

Options

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I did Week 4, Day 2 of Gateway to 8K. Running time was about 3.5 miles. With the warm up and cool down I did about 4.2 miles. :smile:

Just a quick check in, because I have a few things to take care of.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Hey everyone - I just finished Week 4 of Gateway to 8k!

How is everyone doing?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I started back over a couple weeks so I have 8 weeks to go til I am ready for my half!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I made it out of the house today.... I at least got in about a 10 minute walk. It got up to 32 today... It's been so cold there was still nice crunchy snow out for me to walk on.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Great Job Jan!

I hate the cold......it sucks. I finally got out and went for a run.....well it ended up more walking/ lessrunning because it was so cold on my lungs and chest.

That being said I want to get out anddo it again tomorrow morning hehe :) Good luck later this week with you rrunning ladies

cheers
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. It's so inspiring for us C25K current students! :bigsmile: I love seeing how many of you completed the program! I can't wait to join you!

I'm starting week 3 on Wednesday! Ahhhhhhhhh!:sick:
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Good for you Jan & Carrie! :smile:

Iceprincessk25 - You'll get through it! I am amazed every time I got out and run how far I get. It's a great feeling. :smile:

Starting Week 5 of Gateway to 8K today! Woohoo! By March, I should be running 5 miles! :tongue:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone - back on track this year!

I decided to start back at week one of G28k this week - as I only had a few running workouts for all of December. Had an easy run last week and really didn't feel sore after, so I'm thinking I'm okay to jump back in on week one G28k.

I really want to run a half marathon this year, so I've got to get back on the training schedule! The ice and snow here aren't helping, but the treadmill isn't killing me... yet.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Yay - I see a revival happening here! :)

Went for a 2.2 mile run this morning with new running buddy - while I can go farther, she's working up to it and I want us to run together. She's quite a bit taller than I am though - so keeping up with her is ending up as a good challenge. :) She gave me some feedback though: 1) work on my breathing and 2) need to be more "light on my feet". Um.....??? Isn't just doing it good enough? LOL!!

So, anyone with suggestions on how I can improve, I'm all ears. I'm also researching. Out of curiosity though - how do you breathe when you run?
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Hi Smiles! Glad that you have a running partner! :smile: For my stride, I try to make sure my feet don't land in front of my hips. Leaning my whole body forward slightly seems to help (as well as increase my speed a little). As for breathing, I breath through my mouth and nose and I try to breath in rhythm with my running. If you are having trouble breathing while running, I have heard that chewing gum helps that apparently. :tongue:

This is really what I have read from active.com articles that I have incorporated (except I haven't chewed gum while running. Especially in the winter - I don't need colder air filling my lungs lol).
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hi Smiles! Glad that you have a running partner! :smile: For my stride, I try to make sure my feet don't land in front of my hips. Leaning my whole body forward slightly seems to help (as well as increase my speed a little). As for breathing, I breath through my mouth and nose and I try to breath in rhythm with my running. If you are having trouble breathing while running, I have heard that chewing gum helps that apparently. :tongue:

This is really what I have read from active.com articles that I have incorporated (except I haven't chewed gum while running. Especially in the winter - I don't need colder air filling my lungs lol).

thanks Stephy for the feedback.... I would have never thought of gum. :) I"ll have to let you know how it goes....
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    wow...I never thought aobut the gum idea too :) That might really help with my issues as well! Thanks stephy for the great idea. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes hehe

cheers everyone!
  • jlbay
    Options
    G28k - back on week 1, and I ran 12 minutes miles - very slow! However, I did that on purpose to let my body readjust to the running effort. I ran on the treadmill as I fear the icy walks around town right now. The 12 minute miles felt super easy, so perhaps I will be able to either skip a week or up the speed next week.
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    WOW....no action on this thread in 4 DAYS!!!! Runners...wha is going on here :( I went for a run today because the weather up here was above zero for the first time in about 3 months so i was thrilled

Its hard to run hen its so cold out but I still try.Today was a great day though,a nd i burned a tonne of calories and got in 4.5 KM to boot :)

I hope everyone else has had a great weekend!
  • jlbay
    Options
    Okay, I'm starting to understand why a lot of people call it the "DREADmill." I hate it, I hate it!!

The walkways are too icy and scary to walk on - much less run, so I've been making myself go over to the gym and run on the treadmill. Not even halfway through my run - I just wanted to stop. I felt like I could go on. Why?? My legs felt fine, still a little tightness, but nothing to worry about. My lungs feel GREAT - which I'm very pleased about. The running effort felt EASY (well, I am trying to keep myself to a very slow pace for the first couple of weeks back on schedule). No - no - I was just SO - FREAKING - BORED!!!

So, my last interval, I just couldn't take it anymore and I started playing with my speed to pass the time. I originally promised myself to keep to a slow, even pace, but playing with the speed was the only thing that kept me going. It was fun and I didn't hurt myself. I forgot how fun it is to run fast (relatively fast). He he he. Still, I hope the ice melts so i can run outdoors soon.

Completed Wk 1 G28K.
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I too would be interested in any 10K programs. I've been running 5Ks for many years, but would like to do a 1/2 marathon this time next year, so 10K is my next goal.

Would love to hear any suggestions!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    jlbay - Yep, that is definitely why the treadmill is the "dreadmill". The only thing I like about the treadmill is how you can push yourself to maintain a certain speed. I may be going there today to run.. I haven't decided if I want to start this week today or tomorrow. The weather is pretty cruddy, so the gym would be an option. Or I will do a Jillian Michaels DVD today and run tomorrow.. we shall see.

MrsDanceBartley - The Gateway to 8K program is good, it is followed by Freeway to 10K.. if you wanted to look into that.

Carrie - I am glad you got a nice run in this weekend! Today cruddy weather has hit my area, so we'll see how long that lasts.
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    Jan- I hate the treadmill. i get so bored on it as well. Its like you think you're kickin butt, feeling good and almost there...and you look down and you're barely half way through your run....its sucky! I am so glad taht its nice up here in Ontario today.

Stephy :) That sucks about the weather down ther. I am debating going for a run today and taking advantage of the nice weather before it gets nasty again tomorrow or Tuesday.

I am realy trying to avoid using the treadmill at the gym. I just find it so depressing and boring and I ose all motivation!!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hey Maddie - I saw your post on 1/16 wondering why no one posted in 4 days and asking what was going on..... I don't think I posted but I ran on 1/11, 1/13 and 1/15. The 1/15 run was especially "hard core" because we were up running IN THE DARK, before the roosters were up (literally) because i had an early morning meeting and I knew that the run would wake me up and have me alert.

True enough - I was bright eyed and bushy tailed - and my compadres were, well, not so much. ;)

Working on the breathing (in thru nose, out through mouth) and at a consistent rhythm. It's a challenge - but I think one worth undertaking. Seems like in the long run, I will be breathing more efficiently. Right now we're still running less than 5k (alone I had worked up to 5k and longer) but while the distance is shorter, my speed is increasing, so it all works out in the end. Maybe this week we'll strive to add another leg to the run.

The vog (volcanic smog) is terrible today - I am struggling to breathe while indoors... so running is off the agenda for today. Hang in there everyone - I love reading your updates.

Stephy - way to go on the Gto8K program... you're kickin some serious booty, girl!
  • jlbay
    Options
    Well, now I've done it!

I entered myself into the ballot for a 1/2 marathon and WON A SPOT!!

That means, I've committed myself to a 1/2 marathon at the end of September. Yikes. Gotta stay focused now.