Couch to 5km Graduates!!!

Options

Replies

• JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm baaaaaacck! Yes, I've finally worked back up to a decent run! Today was my best run since the week before Christmas. Not as far or as long, but I went 25 minutes without stopping for the first time in a long time. Did 3.1 miles in a 43 minute total workout. One of the encouraging things about the run was that I ran 5.0 for a good 5 minutes or more at the end of the run. I'm working on getting 5.0 to be my "normal" pace for a 5k. It was great to finally have a decent run!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    This thread came across my Facebook wall today from the C25k group there. Sounds like anyone of us could have written it. Check it out with some really good answers...

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://bit.ly/bnORLA&h=6ecc59287ff03a1bc23d6b959ab6a766
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    jan - thanks for the link. Soon I will be looking into more distance and more speed.

stephanie - thanks for the welcome.

I ran on the treadmill again today and upped my time from 4.5 to 4.6 mph. Boy does .1 mph make a difference in your breathing. I stayed at the speed for 41 min and was able to run for 5K - only my second time at that distance. I love the high I get when I'm done running.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

just wanted to pop by and see how everyone else is making out this month. I just changed jobs and am now commuting 1.5 hrs each way so that is really eating into my work out time and i find I want to eat wayyy more when I am awake longer and bored driving!

I have also decided to start packing my lunches again starting on monday. I am always so much better when I pack lunches and eat healthy all day. then I am always more motivated to run! I cannot wait to start coming in a few minutes early so that I can take a longer lunch break and run on the treadmill during the break!

I also cannot wait for Ontario to warm up so I can start running outside again. I miss it so much!

how is everything for everyone else going? Miss you all :)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I haven't been on this thread forever. :embarassed: I fell off the wagon during the winter but now I'm determined to get back on track. I never did run an official 5K. However, there's one coming up in in July during the Kent Cornucopia Days and I'm planning to run that. I finally went out to the workout room at my complex last night and was able to run for 1 mile. Well I walked the first 4 minutes then ran. Hopefully Saturday will be nice and I can run outside again. If not, I'll be on that stupid treadmill. I hate running on the treadmill. :tongue:

Good luck to all of you. I'll be logging in again because I want to keep myself accountable.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    I was short on time this morning and only had 1/2 to workout so I did some speed intervals on the treadmill. 5 min warm up at 3.5 mph, then ran 6.0 mph x 2 min / walked 3.5 x 5 and repeated 5 times, and finished with 5 min cool down walk. 6.0 is the fastest I have ever gone on the treadmill. I have been doing my long runs at 4.5 to 4.6 mph. It felt great to run.
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    Woo Hoo MOMMA...welcome back!!! Dont worry, I have been away lately as well.
    Pinbot- Great job on still fitting in a work out in a shorter time :)

I am so excited...I did something I have never done...i completed the FULL 5KM ON THE DREAD MILL today. I normally stop at about 3.5-4km but I kept pushing. it took me 48minutes to complete it but I did it and I havent worked out at all in 2 weeks and havent run in about the same time. I was so freakin pumped.

Im already looking forward to another run on Wednesday. too bad I looked outside and saw a blizzard :( OH well, guess i have a few more weeks of mainly treadmill running in store yet!

how is everyones monday going?
  • mommared53
    Options
    Maddie congratulations on running a 5K on the treadmill. That's great! I have to work back up to that. Last night someone was already on the only treadmill at my complex so I used another machine until he got off and left then I got on the treadmill. By that time, my legs were tired so I only ran about a half mile. Oh well, I'll try again on Wednesday.

Good luck everyone. :flowerforyou: Please don't let this thread die after I just found it again. :noway: It was 19 hours since the last post. :noway:
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    momma, i dont want it to die either :)

my back is so sore from my run yesterday. Its definatelyt ime to get new shoes. My feet were going numb and i developed blister...all in the same run!!! Geeze!!1

I think i will be elipticalling it tonight!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Sunday I was able to get outside and run. It was only 34 degrees but for northern MI that's a heat wave. I actually ran a full 3 miles in 41 min that included the hills. I was pretty excited.

Today, I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and upped my speed the 5.0 mph. Every min I kept counting the seconds thinking that I was going to die. Now, that I am done, I feel great. I don't know what I was thinking but my mom will be here shortly for a snow shoe date. When I called her, I hadn't planned to run and the fresh snow looked so inviting. Oh well, double exercise won't hurt me - maybe I'll lose an extra quarter pound this week. I have no idea how I am going to eat all these exercise cal - I did a 20 min ab/core strength routine before work.

Have a great Tuesday.

maddie - it's great that you got a full 5K on the treadmill!!!! Do you count the miles on your shoes or alternate in a second pair after 100 miles?

What do you guys listen to when running?
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I have a plan now that I have finished the Gateway to 8K program. I emailed Jenny Hadfield, who is the person who designed the Gateway to 8K program along with the DJ. She sent me an email back about how to increase my speed. I figured I would share if anyone was interested:
    Hi Stephanie-

Congrats on completing the 8k program! That’s great news! I would continue to follow the final week of the 8K program which includes 3 x 50 minutes of running. But modify it in the following way.

For the next four weeks run three workouts of 50 minutes at a slow, conversational pace (happy pace). This will giveyour body time to adapt to the continuous running and develop a foundation from which you cana build.

For the next four weeks do the following:
    -Run two times per week for 50 minutes at a slow, conversational pace (happy pace:) and make them book-ends at the beginning of the week and at the end (ex. Monday and Friday)

-For the middle of the week workout (Wednesday) run intervals;
    -Warm up 5 minutes walking
    -Run 10 minutes at an easy effort
    -Alternate running 1 minute at a comfortably hard effort followed by 1 minute of walking to catch your breath and 3 minutes of easy paced running (5 min. intervals)
    -Repeat 1 hard, 1 walk, 3 easy run 4 times for a total of 20 minutes
    -Finish with 5 minutes of walking to cool down

Keep this formula the same for 4 weeks and then add another repeat to the workout. You could also bump up one of the other runs to 60 minutes easy at this point.

Good luck and please keep me posted on your progress!

--
    Coach Jenny Hadfield
    Columnist – HEALTH, Women’s Running, and RunnersWorld.com
    Co-Founder, Chicago Endurance Sports
    Coach@JennyHadfield.com
    www.jennyhadfield.com
  • mommared53
    Options
    Stephanie, thanks for posting that e-mail. I'm not that far along yet, but I'm going to print it out for future reference. Good luck to everyone and happy running. I'll be running again tonight on the treadmill. Hopefully no one will be using it when I go out to the exercise room. I'll be so glad when it stays light outside longer and I can start running outside and feel safer.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I ran 1 mile on the treadmill last night. YAY ME!! That's not including the 4 minute walk. It just about killed me but i pushed through. WOOHOO!! :happy:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Where'd everybody go? :huh: :sad:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Here I am. Sorry, I forgot to post this morning. I tried to run but 6 am and I were not getting along so I power walked with inclines for 35 min. I needed one of you guys to give me a kick to jog. I am headed down state for a baby shower and brought my running shoes. If the snow's not to bad, maybe I'll get out for run.

Thanks for the chart Steph!!! I printed it out. I just to 3 miles.in 41 min. I think I will spend a few weeks just getting used to this and then try some speed trail increasing.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I weighed myself on Saturday morning and I've lost .6 pounds. Not 6 but point 6. I'm very happy about that though. I gained back 11 in the last few months because I kind of fell off the wagon. That .6 gives me even more motivation to keep on running even it's it is on the treadmill.

I hope this thread doesn't die just because I started posting again. :bigsmile:
  • maddiebabe
    Options
    Thanks for the post Steph :) I emailed her some questions I had too, so hopefully she has some helpful answers for that as well!

Great job to everyone running today. Pinbot, dont even worry about the run/walk today. It happens to everyone. I did a strenght training work out today, tomorrow is another running day. I hope it is nice outside and I will get an outside run in instead of the dreadmill yet again!

However, I do feel stronger already from the work out today. cannot wait for Wednesday :)
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Great job on the strength training Carrie! :smile: I really need to add more strength training into my life. On my non running days I do boxing circuit training and boot camp style classes - so there are some weight work and a lot of squats, lunges, etc, so I am hoping that helps in that department. It's been a while since I just lifted weights though.

I went running today. An easy 50 minutes. It was a harsh wind today, but once I got warmed up it felt nice. :smile: It was in the 40's today.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    I took my shoes with me on my weekend trip but the snow was too deep to try running. I should have taken snow shoes. I just did The Shred levels 1 and 2 inside Sat. I have tomorrow afternoon off and plan to run (hopefully outside)... It looks to be sunny and about 35.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I didn't run last night because my son got home a little late and I don't like to go out to the exercise room by myself. I just don't feel safe. I'm very paranoid. He's off work today, so I'll run tonight. I can't wait to see the scale show another smaller number. :smile: