Unsupportive....wwyd?

Options

Replies

• Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    He's jealous and insecure that as you lose weight, you WILL be more attractive to men who would treat you better and thats why he's not supportive, verging on verbally abusive and telling you that no one would want you.

You are worth way more than that.. You're worth a man who is secure, supportive and encouraging of you. And I'll bet there are tons of guys out there who would want you and what you have to offer, and could offer you a better, more loving relationship. I'd start taking a hard look at your relationship and you might have to make a difficult choice, but one in a good direction. No one deserves to be talked to like that, especially not the mother of his children. I'm a child of divorce and don't be afraid to leave him because you have kids. Your kids want to see you HAPPY and want a HAPPY relationship to model the ones they have later on in life after. My dad never spoke to my mom like that (they were just distant and you could tell no longer in love) but seeing her genuinely HAPPY for the last 7 years of her life was worth any anxiety that occured when they first separated and divorced. Remember, your kids want to see you HAPPY and healthy, even if that isn't with their biological dad.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'll Bet ya 5 bucks he is cheating on you and is afraid you will do the same.
    He wants to keep you fat and insecure so he can continue.

Dump the idiot right now.

MY thoughts exactly! You don't need him.
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In case you need it spelled out again--you are in a textbook case of an abusive relationship, whether there's physical violence or not.

Here's the scary part--emotional abusers can progress to physical violence. This is why I recommend separation now, even if you want to give him a chance to reform through therapy.

THIS. Document the abuse, get yourself a lawyer, and get outta there.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I come from a family with no support at all....but worse, my husband thinks that me getting healthy is, "Just plain ridiculous." It is not going to stop me, just like yourself, it pushes me to work harder. He now likes to tell me that since I have lost weight that I need to get plastic surgery to make my skin not so loose and and smoother. Give me a friggen break!! Do I put up with this....yeah, that is my fault. I am working on me and in time I will regain the confidence and self-esteem that I once had. But, for now, leaving is easier said than done. Hang in there and keep moving forward. You will eventually make the right decision for yourself. Good luck!!
  • Brandiberry77
    Brandiberry77 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Doing what is right no matter how others act or what they say is what is important. Health is important and it is the right thing to do. Keep fighting doing the right move by watching your weight. If the people in your life do not give support just find your support base else where. Handling your fiance is up to you. You been with him 5 years and know him. A loving healthy relationship is good for children not abusive.
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I will concede that every FREAKING relationship columnist in the known universe has pushed the "advice" that if your spouse is suddenly making the effort to look attractive, fit, young etc, it may be a sign that they are cheating or preparing to cheat. So this assumption is not unheard of, though most secure, sane people will not think infidelity on the basis of this alone.

I don't know your SO. I don't know if he is just generally an unsupportive type, or is an insecure man who has read too many articles about marriage in the Huffington Post. Either way, if you have not given him any reason to suspect you of cheating and he is flying off the handle, time to either insist on a counsellor or take some time by yourself to figure out why the heck you want to stay with a dude who sees your efforts to improve yourself as an effort to undermine him?
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'll Bet ya 5 bucks he is cheating on you and is afraid you will do the same.
    He wants to keep you fat and insecure so he can continue.

Dump the idiot right now.
    I almost never agree with what this guy says--and I agree with this.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    He's jealous and insecure.

Ask him if he would like to join you, a journey you two can do together. Not a competition, but a way to support each other.

If he says no, I guess just eff him.

This. If my bf acted this way, I'd be upset. Just because you are trying to improve yourself doesn't mean you have an ulterior motive. Uuuugh. :/
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'd probably kick him.....really hard!!

to the curb... ;)

nobody should ever talk to you like that. ever. my husband isn't always the MOST supportive (he likes to eat fatty foods and gets a little fussy when i say "i can't have that" or "i don't want to eat all those calories in a single meal""but he NEVER tells me i'm fat or anything degrading. he tells me he's proud of all the hard work i've put into this and yours should be equally as proud.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Oh yuck :-(

I'm just afraid that I won't find anyone else... I don't feel attractive, at all.

He is always home or at work.. Never more than 30 mins late... :-(

The thought hurts so bad..
    Oh, honey--being afraid of not finding someone else is no reason to stay in abusive relationship. Do you want to set that example for your kids? It tells them that's how they should treat people, or expect to be treated. Get out. Love yourself, make a better life for you and your kids, and you WILL find someone else.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Oh yuck :-(

I'm just afraid that I won't find anyone else... I don't feel attractive, at all.

He is always home or at work.. Never more than 30 mins late... :-(

The thought hurts so bad..

I guess his bullying efforts have worked. You're still with him. As for finding someone else? Mama always said. " It takes a very good man to be better than no man at all." Listen to mama.
    It only hurts when you first rip off the bandaid.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    What a d!ck!!! You know there really are A LOT of lovely men out there who are honestly not a-holes... This guy doesn't respect you. You can stay, you can go... If it were me, I'd ask him to adapt or leave.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    And remember, you're a young, very attractive woman who deserves to be treated with kind words and gentle hands. Don't believe for a minute that no one else would love you, because they would, and your husband doesn't.
    THIS. Pride of ownership is not love.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Life is way too short to spend it with an *kitten* who will berate you and keep you from being who you want to be.

It stops when you stop allowing it and take charge of your life.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Its time for you to move on. That is in no way any kind of person that truly loves you. Regardless of the amount of kids and time invested, you do not deserve that kind of treatment!
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you told your spouse that you wanted to lose weight, get into better shape and they immediately got on the defensive.. Saying you are doing it to cheat/move on/ect.. And totally have zero support for you, try to do things to make you go off track.

Start blowing up at you for the tiniest things.

Example.
    You forget to take chicken out for supper, immediately they start yelling saying things like you're a fat,lazy tub of lard... Stretched out and better treat him better cause no one else will ever love you.. You're ugly and everyone else can see it, why even bother..

You have been with this person for well over 5 years and have kids together... WWYD?

I could deal with the whole "you're doing it because you want to cheat on me" thing because he tried to pull that off. He was talking about his own insecurities. I told him that I was doing this for me, I NEVER do anything for myself. Everything I ever did was for him and our daughter. Trust is a HUGE thing in any relationship. He had to get on board or we weren't going to work out. He stopped. He tried pulling the "you're fat and nobody will ever love you". It didn't hurt me one bit. I knew I looked good. I knew he was doing it out of anger and jealousy. We had a nice long chat and I told him that if he kept it up we weren't going to work out and if that was what he really wanted I was okay with it. I want to be with him and I love him but he was pushing me away. That really got him thinking and he changed completely. Every situation is different. I would not for one minute let my significant other verbally abuse me. That is UNACCEPTABLE and you deserve sooo much better. Don't let you two having kids together be the only reason you are with him.
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You are engaged to this guy? The first time he tried that with me he would have been out the door. You have no self esteem because he is making you feel this way so you dont leave him. No one deserves to put up with this crap. Kids or not. Even though I dont know you, I know you can do so much better than this guy. Unless it gets physical, you cant find much worse in a spouse. I hope you find a solution soon :flowerforyou:
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I tell my fiance," im a housewife. That means i have ready, unsusupicious access to both lysol AND your meals."
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    DIVORCE, you don't need to be with someone like that, no matter how long u've been together and it isnt a healthy environment for kids to grow up in anyway. A person cannot say those things to a person that they are supposed to love and care about
    ^^^^ This! I was in a marriage for 10yrs like this. Its not healthy for you or your children. Now that Ive been divorced and have found my own way the weight is coming off so much easier now. Good luck to you.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If he treats you like this now do you really think it will all stop if you get married? It will only get worse!
    You do not deserve to be treated this way. If he treats you the adult this way what is he doing to the kids?
    They can't make the choice to walk away and be safe. You need to get out and take them with you!
    Do you really want to wait until the verbal abuse turns to physical abuse.

Get out now before you are legally tied to this neanderthal! If you don't have your own resources check in with you county services they can connect you with the local groups who help with these situations.